Is the DC universe (and comic book properties in general) better off in the realm of animation...

Is the DC universe (and comic book properties in general) better off in the realm of animation? I saw Justice League the other day and I loved it but I think the Justice League: War movie was better and it was an 2D animated direct-to-video movie. In animation, you're able to get away with a lot more in than you would in live-action. You don't really have to worry about blowing all this money on costumes, digital effects and over-paid actors and you'll usually turn out a better looking product than live-action.

Is it really true that 2D trumps 3D?

For DC they tend to be better at animation though I think Justice League War is were it goes down hill based on the clips I've seen.

The only thing I liked about the new JL movies is that Superman is pretty cool in them but that's about it.

DC lends itself well to episodic adventures and some campy fun but it's hard to get a first movie for a given hero to be decent, let alone a full blown major event. And while you could do something like Blackest Night or Crisis on Infinite Earths, the audience would have no setup

Marvel lends itself well to dramatic events thanks to strong origin stories typically rooted in conflict and that forms a base for bigger event movies, but they're not so good at creating episodic stories. A given plotline would last too many episodes

OP! Now image that the Justice League: War is one of the weakest animations from DC! After that can you image how good the classics and the well-written ones. So yeah, the 2D movies are way superior, just like you said!
Meanwhile the live-action movies are literally fanfiction.net tier shit from "acknowledged" actors and directors. Ridiculous!

>>>/reddit/
Or learn to use a keyboard like a normal person.

Nice fit in, faggot!

While I do believe the animations blow the Warner movies out of water, I think Justice League: War was one of the worst animations they put out in recent memory - some funny memes came out of it like Green Lantern being BTFO, but I dislike nearly everything about it

DCAU still stands strong to this day.

Good adaptations, but no, it doesn't have an ounce of good animation or originality if they continue to have cheap South Korean animation studios do it for them nor should they follow the Marvel Anime route, unless they do it themselves, then no. The Killing Joke was horrible.

The end is the cherry on top. Every time.

Word. At first I was excited when it was announced, but in retrospective, its just a movie that never needed to be made. Even if you took out the godawful first 30 minutes, you are left with an adaptation that is just too short and mediocre.

Guess so.

About 10% of what they've made since JLU ended is even watchable, maybe if they rebooted a new animated universe instead of making abridged standalone adaptations of stuff that was very often crap in the first place they would have something.

They need to take all the money they're wasting on live action movies and put it toward building something JLU-tier again to be quite honest.

Why are they doing this at all:
"Hey, you like what Worked with the advantages of animation? Well, how about seeing it without those advantages and blurry CGI instead!"

But normies seem to fucking love that shit and I don't know why. Why does a movie adaptation have to be live action and shit? Who gives a fuck about movie adaptations of properties that worked best not as movies?

Animation isn't as prestigious and cost-effective as live-action.
You answered your own question there; Lazy normies.

The crazy part is that I don't even think its true anymore. I almost feel like the CGI industry killed traditional animation, but now is in a rut itself.
Cats Don't Dance (Amazing animation, like holy shit its smooth, its classy, its stylish, its pretty detailed) was 32 Million Dollars. Google says 62 adjusted for inflation. Zootopia with its profoundly mediocre and forgettable animation was 150 Million. Finding Dory is 200 Million Dollars….But finding nemo is only 90 Million….
Where the fuck is all that money going? And Special effects don't feel any better. Worse perhaps even. Kinda this samey blurry blend.

I feel like some Dirty Deals must be happening behind the scene, because CGI has gotten more expensive, doesn't look that much better (Or at all really), but nobody looks to 2D as an alternative which doesn't age and remains timeless.
Like Jesus has anybody watched Lilo and Stick Lately? The lighting effects are amazing! But again only costs like 80 million.

Characters have more hair on their heads then entire families, but they seem to look more static, then alive.

Really, I don't see why it's so hard for film makers to capture well known origins in five-ten minutes, even if they aren't making the hero a veteran.

Superman can be done in a scene showing Krypton exploding and him being sent to Earth, which fades into Superman narrating how he was sent to Earth to Lois Lane (Giving her an interview like he did in the DCAU). He shows his powers to her and is told "Thank you Mr. El" and replies "Call me Superman.". He flies away and thinks to himself how he didn't tell her about the greatest parents in the world.

Batman could have the Waynes outside the movie and get shot ending with Bruce Wayne waking up from the nightmare. Cut Bruce working out and Alfred asking if he's really going through with it, then noting he didn't expect to dissuade him after he spent all the time training.

It even works with some more obscure origins. Green Lantern could be brought before the Guardians so they can be sure the ring's picking him was correct and learn what happened to his predecessor.

Heroes with origins that are themselves a full adventure are the best though. Power Pack rescuing their parents+destroying the generator/bomb, classic Luke Cage trying to prove he was framed ect.

Marvel used to be excellent at animations, so long as the franchises were sectioned off from each other for the most part.

Used to be. It still amazes me that the IP was handled that badly and wasn't called intentional, but then, it was kikes kiking kikes.

Meanwhile, DC Animation was all around good, and there was rarely any weird contradictions from them being a shared universe. Also, they did Black Luthor and Black Lantern and did them well.

I don't know, I actually thought Man of Steel's general idea with the Krypton origin was the best part of the film. It was handled fucking awfully but the general idea was solid.

All they really needed to do was make Superman more proactive and competent instead of reactive and stumbling over his feet, have him less of a nihilistic mopey emo and more of a subdued kind of optimistic hero in a pessimistic world, replace Zod with Brainiac, make Pa Kent less of a sociopathic dick, rewrite the central plot to be more coherent and cut out Lois Lane entirely. If they really needed to have a romance, throw in Lana Lang. She was already in there during the bus scene, why they threw in Lois as well, baffles me.

Granted, the best solution of all would've been to fire Deborah Snyder so she wouldn't be able to throw her weight around in the WB executives' office to get her husband the Superman gig.

Funny, my idea was to write he entire movie to focus on her. You could have made the movie really good while keeping it basically the same if you re-contexualized it only from Lois's perspective. Make it an alien invasion movie where she uncovers one who has been living here the whole time, and the new invasion can only be stopped by this strange dude who you've only seen on screen for a few minutes, but you hope is a nice guy. It would also have set up BvS a lot better, because the entire movie would have given you the perspective of barely knowing this guy who caused billions in damage during some massive fight that no one was able to even track.

If is not in then I haven't seen it.
Good Tier
Technically not bad tier
Just plain bad
BURN THIS SHIT

The following I haven't seen, should I? Shazam Showcase, Batman vs Two-Face and Scooby Doo and Batman tbatb I'm going to watch when I get more time.
Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
Green Lantern: First Flight
Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
Batman: Bad Blood (This one looks good)
Teen Titans: The Judas Contract
Batman and Harley Quinn (FUCK ME, FIRST OFFICIAL DCAU CONTENT IN OVER A DECADE, IS HARLEY QUINN BASED AND IS NOT AN ADAPTATION OF MAD LOVE)

So I'm not the only one who likes Doomsday animated because of how little bullshit it has?

Alright, I'm going to use your chart to offer my thoughts.
TNB
Good
Good
BURN THIS SHIT
TNB
BURN THIS SHIT

As for your spoiler, yes fucking watch them. They're very good Except TBAT/Scooby Doo didn't come out yet.

Academy Awards makes it sure that the movie of the year can never be an animation. USA's 3dCG only animation seems more limited to more traditional 2d-cell animation with cg fx effects

Are you just testing to see if anybody's reading?

Hey, I like Public Enemies. It's not that bad, trimmed the fat a little (no future Superman, Nightwing's squad attacking Luthor was removed). OK, they removed the scene of Captain Atom sacrificing himself…but still. There are few good segments in Gotham Knight (Crossfire and Deadshot being said good segment). New Frontier's pretty good (only downside is that they trimmed a bit..so no awesome scene of the Loser's last stand on Dinosaur Island etc) Assault on Arkham made for a comparatively better Suicide Squad movie (but JLU's Task Force X is the best SS adaptation to date). GL:First Flight is damn good, Emerald Knights is also good (but if you watch First Flight first, you'd be confused thinking that it's a sequel…but Sinestro hasn't turned evil yet)

Ugh..never did like Flashpoint. OK, except for Zoom basically berating Flash for fucking the timeline up.

This meme needs to stop.

Get out, and stay out

No they didn't

Because we already got an adaptation of Mad Love way back in the '90s you fucktard

Most of these big budget movies, especially now, never really make back their budget and they're like 90% animated anyway because of all the CGI effects

You could make a better, traditionally animated film for about a quarter of what it costs to make a live action film and still hit most of the same demographics (children, parents, overgrown manchildren).

He was based off Greek actor Telly

Not to mention

I'm curious, what are the good DC animations? I mean pretty much all I've seen was Red Hood, which I liked besides the ending, Justice League Dark, which I suppose was good for some T&A, The Mask of Phantasm and The Dark Knight Rises Returns which I'm not too fond off but were good enough, and Assault on Arkham which was neato if only because it's pretty light hearted for a game based on the Arkham games. There's also the one based on the adam west show(I forgot the name but it was pretty damn good), and crisis on two earths(although I don't remember the latter)
And speaking of Marvel Animations, is Black Widow/Punisher any good? It's by madhouse so I'm kind of interested.

None of the Marvel animated shit is any good. If you like Madhouse and capes, they did two segments of Gotham Knight, including Deadshot which is my favourite.

This one wasn't bad.

Liked it but man slut Harley pisses me off.

I don't get the Arkham series' obsession with the joker.

It's because "Joker is popular so we have to ram him in everywhere". Turned Arkham origins into a game that was almost good for bringing in a different villain line up, then failed

You could say the same thing about Batman outside of the Arkham series.

Yeah, but knowing that the comic was from the animated series universe and then was adapted in with censorship is anger inducing, especially since it shows how Harley should be written, a slut who sucked cock for her degree and thus was rapidly brainwashed by the joker into a full blown masochist, hence why she can't have the spotlight too long.

Its meh.

You know, it's funny. When I only watched the animated stuff, The Joker didn't bother me. Hell, I liked him as a villain. Now that I've started reading the actual comics? He's turned from interesting to boring and one-dimensional as hell for me.

They didn't censor anything you absolute cretin. This is the same show where Roxy Rocket had a fucking orgasm. The only stuff they cut they cut for time

Webm NAOW.

The whole concept of the "time boom" was the stupidest fucking thing ever. I would have enjoyed it much more if it were an alternate reality where everything went to shit just because Flash wasn't there to save certain people, or talk them down from taking things too far.

Roxy Rocket is basically orgasming nonstop whenever she's on screen.

I enjoyed the visual metaphor of a rocket plowing into a canyon

It was a very sexually charged episode

Shit taste. Fuck your list and fuck you.

I would say Public Enemies and War are about the same. They are both mindless entertainment with some nice banter thrown in.

Doom was pretty fucking bad though, mainly because they completely missed the fucking point of Tower of Babel which was not "Batman is awesome because he has contingencies for backstabbing his allies" but "Batman is a traitorous dick because he has contingencies for backstabbing his allies".

The out of character bullshit from GL, Supes and Wonder Woman is what ranked War low for me. Doom at least has more merits to me than that, though I agree with you on the Batwank.

But the movie was exactly that. Most of the JL hate him for stabbing them in the back

except for that scene at the end where he tells Superman that the Justice League is the answer to Batman going rogue in order to placate Superman.

I thought Batman's counter to whenever he goes rogue is..well, his family?

That wasn't the point of the comic. Flash and Manhunter agreed with Batman's point if I recall, since they remember when there was a body swap event. The story wasn't about "Batman is a traitorous asshole who did the wrong thing" but more "Why the fuck is Batman on the Justice League when his character makes such a thing work terribly?". The leaguers don't despise Batman afterward even when they learn what he did, and Superman doesn't seem too upset when he sees Batman gone. They just realize that Batman and the Justice League don't mix.

Which is really just a roundabout way of saying "Batman betrayed the League's trust and does not belong on the Justice League" and thus agreeing with user's point. Whereas Doom outright has Batman doing the "I'm too cool for school and I quit" dog-and-pony show and Superman give him a kryptonite chunk while smiling about how Batman is totally right. The entire moral of the story is flipped on its head by effectively having zero punishment for Batman for his shitty behavior and refusal to acknowledge his mistakes.

Green Lantern got shafted hard but I don't think Superman and Wonder Woman were particularly out of character. It was pretty on point with their New 52 versions and if nothing else, I did like that Superman got to kick a ton of ass in these movies for once.

They can be I suppose.

Which the original did. We never heard Superman's vote
Which Superman had done in a previous story. The subtext was already there

The only thing Doom did wrong, in my opinion, was change the villain from Ra's Al Ghul, who has a personal grudge against Batman, and has been in the Batcave, to Vandal Savage, who is not a Batman villain, has nothing personal against Batman specifically and, as far as I know, does not know who Batman is.

I thought Vandal Savage's plan to kill off people was unnecessary. It could've been just the villains getting revenge on the heroes.

Yeah I guess they might have been, but it being a new 52 movie to begin with is probably what actually bothered me.
But yes, I agree that it was nice seeing Superman use his powers to the fullest, and I wish we saw more of that.

It's becuse Joker is popular. He will gets attention of the masses and game directors/writers/voice actors will have an opportunity to make their name by their "take" on the character.
It's a shame, because Batman has many great villains that could easily be a main villain of the story. Using Joker as a crutch only hurts franchise in the long term.

No, it missed the point of the source material entirely. Barry looked a lot more selfish than he was suppose to be.
Just shit taste.

Superman giving Bats the Kryptonite wasn't about Bats being RIGHT, it was about a display of trust. Superman was displaying that even though the rest of the league couldn't trust him anymore, he still did.
fucked up the formatting

No. He clearly wasn't, Superman TAS just had some really weird shading going on at times at times and there are times in that series where superman's skin tone looks as dark as Lex's. Moreover pretty much every black character in the Timm cartoons has a black VA.

Lex was on average darker than other characters, because they were trying to make him look "Greek." In the commentary for S:TAS they admit this didn't work at all, which is why he looks completely white in every later DCAU show.

Eh, I don't think it would've worked. Audiences get their asses in seats for Superman, he's the central character. It would be like having a movie billed as a Batman movie, except from the perspective of Vicky Vale. People would riot.

And I know this may piss off the Lois Lane fan contingent, but…nobody gives a fuck about Lois Lane. As far as the average Joe is concerned, she is the most prominent of Superman's love interests. Anything beyond that will bore them. Hell, even among comic fans her popularity is negligible. I actually seem to remember DC tried putting out a Lois Lane comic or something back during the New 52 and it was cancelled fairly quickly due to abysmal numbers and no-one actually buying it.

He still looks like Telly Savalas in later shows, they just redesigned his facial structure and upped his skin tone a bit. It helps that Justice League/JLU were digitally coloured

I like the look in the 2nd pic..I still remember that scene. Something about Luthor yelling "BUUUURN" sounds too hilarious…and out of character.

Justice League: Gods & Monsters was also pretty good.

It was pretty much a 101 on how to do dark and edgy while still getting a good story in the process with likable characters. I used to hope that they'd do a sequel but now that I think about it, the movie works better as a standalone.

Agreed I would like to seem them do more original stuff like this.

But why did Aquaman and Wonder Woman fuck in the first place?

Shared disdain for mankind, I thought.

nigger it's the best version of suicide squad
Also, it follows the canon of the Arkham series games

I hate it for making me love Frost and Shark, then blowing his head off.

What about Batman Beyond:Return of the Joker?

It makes no goddamn sense in the Arkham Cannon. I always thought it to be one of the nu52 films but WB told Tucker and co. to slap "some" things to make it look like an Arkham film. What I'm saying is: it's more of an Suicide Squad film than a Batman one, and it was utterly mis-marketed.

That being said, this film and JL: Dark are the only nu52 fims that I remember. the others are a huge cloud of mediocrity.

The Bat family? That didn’t so well when Talia brainwashed him. The only thing that kept him from murdering Dick was that Talia was dumb enough to give him a gun when Bruce could have just beat his brains out instead.

Muh dik loved Blue Ivy too, but Captain Boomerang is the only worthwhile thing in AoA

Barry didn’t look that selfish save for the last scene where he punched himself, which could have been done better. The rest of the movie and the comic was Barry dealing with his one decision and the effect it had on the entire dcu.

He wanted his mom back and let his emotions get to him He also let Zoom get to him again

I liked it, but I still hate that Terry’s accomplishment’s got diminished by DC making him a semi-clone/child of Bruce. It didn’t benefit his character and only tarnished all the work he had done up to that point, because DC can’t let Bruce go

Flashpoint Paradox was terrible because the concept of the Time Boom is fucking retarded, and because the story is structured to hide the fact that Flash timetraveled from the audience, which makes it feel like a fucking mess.

How? Bruce's genetics have nothing to do with either Bruce or Terry being Batman. If Terry were half a son of Superman you might have a point

Then why make a point about him having the same genes? By having the narrative make a point about Terry being genetically Bruce, it means that it does matter, which ruins the entire concept of Batman. People love The Bat because they like to imagine that, if they had they proper motivation, they too could be Batman. If you say he's not just a normal guy who's autistically driven, it throws the entire point of Batman out the window.

You've ignored the entire point of that episode, and of Batman Beyond generally.

The point, for Terry, is that he may have half of Bruce's DNA but he's not Bruce. He's free to make his own decisions in life. That's what being Batman is for him, his own decision

I like JL: doom for that weird scene where martian manhunter's evil brother shape shifted into a hot chick and flirted with him so he could get close enough to kill him
What kind of sick pervert does that. Fucking martians

I agree, but the reveal didn't help him at all. Terry was better off being a punk kid, whose father died to an atomic douche-bag. Terry didn't let the cowl control him like Bruce did. In the end, Terry was better for Gothan than Bruce ever was and he was a better Batman.

Lol, no

…and he became Batman to put a stop to him and many others.

Agreed, that scene was probably the creepiest one in the entire film. I especially liked how the animation on Ma'alefa'ak's female form was intentionally done in a slightly different style to all the other characters so she looked a bit "wrong" even before "her" true identity was revealed.

But… what?
What about Mera?

Plow the snow, pay the dough

Seriously though it's like out of all the million tactics he could have used but he picked the creepy incest seduction angle. It HAD to be a fetish of one of the writers

Aquaman's fucked around on his wife numerous times

But why?

Hey Holla Forums

The one time I can count is when he honesty believed Mera was dead. This was back in Peter David run all the way in the 90's.

To be honest, Arthur was pretty much the king of nothing. He lost his kingdom, his wife, his child, and his hand. So when he got around to fucking Dolphin, the kingdom of Atlantis pretty much fucked off, leaving those two to knock boots.

Than Mera shown up after disappearing for a few years. It was kind of like a catfish fight.

hey Holla Forums

Sounds like a job for Inspector Gil.

But sadly no one takes 2d seriously.