Game Design Course 4 - The Final Stretch!

Time, my dear students? Is it really that time again?
Inb4 retards: Studies are free here. I do this for extra credits. My main field is networking.
Dropbox(not up to date): dropbox.com/sh/giqylwj5qgtal62/AACqj5xBOBsptp2OfTPDEcMqa?dl=0

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/agdg/res/26836.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I hope you have lots of fun in your class mister op ^.^

Today is workshop - form groups, each is a design team. Everyone has different goals!

(checked)
It is pretty fun, yea.

Any questions?

What places are there around you for lunch?

What the fick?

I am am art department

Cafeteria at the ubiversity. 2,60 euro student lunch and free coffee

Seriously, what thr fuck?

It is basically games 101

How to make game without programmer?
rpg maker?

Wew. The guy who decided to be lead designer has a bunch of writing stuff.
Our theme: become famous racer. Help?

Continued

We are designing. Some

Art department reporting in. Give me ideas.
Game is about racing on different planets, different conditions on different planets, alien races are racist, sponsorship deals, vehicle mods, fame meter, asshole meter.

Post the cafeteria menu

Old conan and such comic style.
A squidman riding on a floating jellyfish.
Lizardman riding a dinosaur.
Space Marine riding a tank.
Ayy lmao riding ufo
Robot riding a satellite like thing.

A horrible decision. The story will most likely be equivalent in quality to a high school essay

Isn't that kind of too soon to care about that, though? I mean you don't have an engine or any program basis to work with - you don't know what will and what will not be possible to realistically create. Right now it seems like "Okay, we'll make an open world RPG. Jack, go design some dungeons and shit while we mull over the story and mechanics and all!"

Here's an idea, OP

Continuing this trend of these threads

Again, a terrible decision. Write you'd outsource it to an unemployed art student who took creative writing courses, and that you'll pay him in peanuts.

Anyway, how about this?
Prologue - the protagonist is kidnapped by aliens while driving home from work. Rather than giving in, however, he breaks through the flimsy UFO walls of the UFO with his car and runs over alien in the corridors (one short level). The UFO eventually can't handle it and crashes on an alien planet.The protag rides from the wreckage full of fury, but is suddenly grabbed by a tractor beam of an alien police officer, who apprehends him for the massacre he caused. He then explains that in their society, prisoners are expected to compete in gladiatorial matches, only instead of fighting, they race. Winner gets freedom and wealth, losers get culled like cattle.

Beginning: Protag starts with his flimsy, damaged vehicle on a shitty racetrack in the bumfuck of nowhere and races. After winning, he gains fame and money. For money, he can upgrade his vehicle, while having enough fame prevents him from being culled even if he lost (the lower the place at race end, the more fame is lost). Eventually, after a few wins, he is appraoched by an alien sponsor and offered sponsorship deals, etc.

Middle game: Nothing special, just continuos growth of fame, money, and vehicle quality

Ending: The annual interstellar championship with the best racers from all across the galaxy compete. Winner gets freedom, wealth, and a gaggle of fanboys. Upon winning, you get a choice over whether to return home (at which point you find out your wife was cucking you with a black dude while you were gone, run them both over with your alien monster of a vehicle, and ride into the sunset)or to keep racing as a professional gladiator (the ending will be a cutscene of you having tons of fun smashing alien vehicles to shit to the cheering of the crowd while saying some badass one liner about this shit not being that bad)

Is this the ideaguy college?Is that it?
Is this a ruse?Have I been tricked?I feel baited, this can't be real.

It reads as if they assume there will be a team of programmers that'll make a custom engine for them based on their ideas.

So this is literally ideaguy college?
I bet all games will be open world, randomly generated with ultra-realistic graphics and a deep, meaningful story that's commentary on some aspect of modern life.

with lead dev doubling as the writer? Hell no. 2deep4u shit at best.

Well you COULD have a team of programmers ready to do your bidding if you were the lead dev for some big-budget AAA game, but I can't imagine anybody could get there straight from college without sucking an incredible amount of cocks. It's the case of the college preparing them for situation X, even though they haven't yet learned how to handle situations A-W that are necessary to even get to situation X.

by deep meaningful story I meant 2deep4u shit.
So this is basically just a huge waste of OP/Taxpayer money?

Probably, although I can't imagine it costs too much

Here is some "concept art"

Pretty sick user.

That's actually pretty good

With training you could become a proper concept artist if you really wanted to

These are quick sketches. I do vetter when I have decen ammount of time

Here are aalien character concepts

Those are great. Dude, not kidding, you've got a knack for this.

Thanks. I am trying to make a portfolio thing a majig and apply to Frozenbyte for trainee/intern
Just gotta make that email and ask what they need

Hue

Here you go

Get everything

user this isn't a CYOA.

I have food in the fridge at my office. Will post pics of MY lunch. Later.

It is buffet unless specified that stuff is x servings per person. Plus salad plus coffee included (water and glass of milk/juice too)

hey OP, are there any writers there that want to work for free? i'm looking for someone to fill that position
8ch.net/agdg/res/26836.html

Maybe me. Keep thread alive soI can send you some stuff I wrote some time ago

k, my email is in that thread, but i'm specificly looking for someone to write a story for the boxing game, as well as do the dialogue and shit later

lel what? Is achieving bundled in with Easter egg hunting and the sort? That's pretty narrow. Getting an ultrakill, not taking damage in pvp etc. are also an "achievement".

The materials in the dropbox serve as scaffolding for game concepting, am I getting this right?

Besides networking I'm not sure how this could help anyone unless they're very uninspired to begin with.

Example:

Hey guy, English isn't my primary language so I can't really be a writer. But hey, I can evaluate both gameplay and the plot when it's drafted/outline a general plot line and offer suggestions for modifications. :^)

If you had a budget to pay people for participation what's the chance you'd hire me? None, right?

And if there was a conflict within the dev team who would you be most comfortable letting go first? The ideaguy, right?

It's better to learn to code/model/texture/rig/what have you.

i'm not quite sure what you mean by any of that
my team is currently only me (doing code) and another guy (doing models/animations). and we do it for free

Don't worry, it's common for programmers to be asspies with poor grasp on language. :^)

What I was trying to prove is that most of this "art direction" and related stuff is very nonessential in small projects (where people start their careers). To the point where many teams wouldn't bother with someone providing just that.

I know, read your agdg thread while back. That's why I altered the conditions so there'd be some explicit exchange of value happening instead of just addition.

IMO in practice you always lose something when adding extra people to the team, paid or not, even if it's not as obvious.

y-you take that backā€¦

Maybe he will if you stop stuttering like a slut.

pls no bully