Salt and Sanctuary

I can't believe you guys aren't talking about this anymore. saw the thread, downloaded and loved the game. it is indeed soulslike.

how are you liking this game?

why are shields so good that i literally guard-slap-guard my way through bosses? and will this change in lategame?

i'm doing a blind run except for the wiki's game progress route… i somehow started with Devara's Light creed and i've been spreading the good word of the earthen pot in all available sanctuaries i come across. i don't want to sin and deal with whatever repercussions there may be so i'll probs stick with this until i finish NG. will it suck for my mace/axe+shield run?

i just got into the red hall so maybe dont post big ending spoilers

Arrr download:
igg-games.com/salt-and-sanctuary-free-download.html
gamestorrent.co/salt-and-sanctuary.html
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:e9057ae3b900ea5d4a77e2d61d8bf585d876b99c&dn=IGG-Salt.and.Sanctuary.v1.0.0.2.zip

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!UhtSTA5S!u9hAjGsOFetjRWPDjsmgmg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

S O U L S L I K E
O
U
L
S
L
I
K
E

Here are the games he tried to bury:
mega.nz/#F!UhtSTA5S!u9hAjGsOFetjRWPDjsmgmg

Might as well give it a try since you so kindly linked the booty. You mention that you use the wiki's progress guide. Is it one of those games where you pretty much have to use a guide like that to have fun or would I be fine going full-blind?

Thanks OP. Definitely curious, gonna give it a try since I actually buy things if I like them

Would you say it's more Metroid or Castlevania?

The character faces look like dogshit

i ran DS1 the same way, if you tried to 100% blind run these games you might end up progressing in the wrong direction too much which will just leave you doubling back… and you don't remember the way.

progress guide at least tells you not to run face first into the skellies right out of firelink shrine. so far, i've mapped most of where i am except for that one section that's pitch black… i have the charm thing now that gives off light but i can't be assed to explore that dark area knowing i'll just run into a dead end because of blocked paths or needing some kind of brand thing. might have noped out of another route guarded by a huge thing in the shadows, but i'm not sure.

tl;dr i wouldn't recommend a 100% blind run unless you're mentally prepared to get your ass kicked by things way out of your league because you got lost and don't know the way back.

fuck you pussy
i beat pinwheel first on my first blind playthough of dark souls 1 and it was the most kickass thing i've ever done in a video game when i realized how hilariously wrong i had played the game
let people explore how they want, you fucking pussy

not sure if bait or serious but i'll bite.
its more soulslike :^)

controls are muy tight and handles like any other metroidvania only with more "paced" combat i think. my class 0 bow only shoots in an arc forward so idk if it has a more precise mouse control aim scheme. my mace/axe only requires me to face in the direction i want death to happen. idk why shield blocking works even if you get attacked from behind though

I bought it because I was bored and I couldn't care for it, it was just boring.
Maybe I didn't get it long enough but it wasn't doing anything for me.

iirc even From admitted that the confusion of those skellies scared people away from the game. i respect how you play the game, you can also return the courtesy, but whatever… you're a pussy too fytmeirlfgt

NO DOOL WEELDUNG
O

D
O
O
L

W
E
E
L
D
U
N
G

I found it alright. Combat mechanics seem fine, but weapon balance is horrible. Brands are little more than progression gates and have no use beyond progression with the exception of dart which allows you to move across the vast empty spaces more quickly. Ledges have this "magnetism" that I found irritating. The game was on the cusp of overstaying its welcome, but I managed to finish it. Apparently people are taking 15+ hours on a first game, but I took 7.5. I doubt the game would have held my interest for that long.

Probably worth one playthrough at least.

man, i thought it'll explain it by the end that all ledges are lined with metal because magic and all gloves/gauntlets are lined with magnets because miracles.

I "acquired" the game and have been playing full blind, Just dont be a retard and explore, think of the game more on the vein of castlevania/metroid so yes a fucking metroidvania

Game is pretty fun and I plan to do a second character, only real complain is the art and the not so much variety in music

also boss weapons seem to be actually quite powerfull

WHAT

Yup. Some Russian guy did it for free. The Ska Software guy's girlfriend stated for him that the guy represented the worst of gamer entitlement in doing so.

And what was he trying to achieve by trying to bury them again?

what was his master plan ?

I dunno. Didn't want his girlfriend to discover that he used to make fun games? Is just a cuck who takes any opportunity he can to diminish his accomplishments?

Well that's your own stupid fault. Playing it blind really just seems like the proper way to play it. You will either run into something way overpowered for you and get your ass kicked, or be able to pull through and feel like a badass. In the souls game I find half the fun is trying to take on an enemy way too powerful until you finally get it, and if you can't do it, going back is pretty much your walk of shame.

That vid makes it look like rolling doesn't actually give iframes? Is that true?

Spoken like someone who never actually played it blind, and ended up at Nito's door without the lordvessel, only to get cockblocked by the golden fog door and have to run all the way the fuck back through the entire fucking dungeon.

I believe the game does have i-frames, but it is very, very brief.

or… you know… he was lucky he faced the right way. we can't discount that blind runs are pretty much as close to a real coming of age trial by fire most of us are ever going to get. no, work and independence doesn't count

i find the progression guide is the bare minimum to not be wasting precious gaming time.

it does. heck, grabbing onto a ledge is particularly long and abusable for mid-fight i-frames.

But using a progression guide isn't even remotely close to a blind playthrough.

i didn't sat it had to be for anyone else' standard. its blind enough for me.

ok, maybe if the game had easily scalable names like my example i won't need it, but with names like "festering banquet" and "red hall", scaling isn't conveyed well

Worth my time?

you're shitting me, right? he an SJW or some shit?

He sounds more like a beta faggot

Probably makes more sense, shame tho. He's a talented developer who can't seem to stand up for himself. I liked Dishwasher myself. Think he canceled the port because of his GF?

also do you have the dead samurai port?

I played it for about an hour and my impression is that it's a glitchy piece of shit with bad hitboxes, should I give it another try?

eh, not really, It's okay for what it is, but that's it.
You can tell he sort of understood what makes games fun, that he actually enjoys playing them, but at the same time he tries to go for an aesthetic that he can't really pull off due to everyone looking like the fucking crank yankers.
The gameplay itself is pretty solid, there's not much variation between weapons, hitboxes can be bad at times, but there's nothing Souls Level there. Bosses vary from completely useless to actually threatening.
Main flaw is that he tried to go too much "souls like" and not enough of his own thing. It really had potential that's actually mired down in the "souls like souls" nonsense.

TL:DR It's a decent game, but it has it's flaws if you want to give it another shot go for it, but it's really not for everyone.

How the fuck did you even manage to breathe without a guide when you were a kid ?

His game Blood Zero (released in 2003, I think) included a shoutout/shoutdown to Hannaford in its credits "for discriminating against gays and lesbians everywhere" (paraphrased). Blood Zero is one of the games he tried to bury, mind you.

I didn't know there was one, actually.

SCZ was better

Survival Crisis Z is absolutely amazing and a must play, though, so that's not fair.

Oh, speaking of SCZ, here's this screencap that appeared in a game idea thread last year. It's all phrased weirdly as fuck, but the idea sounds cool as hell. Spoilers for the game, though.

i can't spend all day bashing my head through dead ends

>praise earthen pot!
>sheer drop instant death
>it summons a fucking clone
>it combos me down
>fuck
this game man.

We had a pretty nice thread the day it got released/cracked. So far im having fun but some of the hitboxes are straight up fucked. Killed the boss in the castle and got the walljumping ability, now just exploring the tombs below. Having fun raping everything with my greatsword

Salt and sanctuary is pretty good. It might not be its own concept but I think it really did polish ds1's formula to a mirror sheen when you dont notice the quality issues with visuals and the goofy character art that looks akin to something from newgrounds. I actually think I got my moneys worth when I payed for it and played it on ps4. That version also has couch coop which is practically the reason I got it in the first place considering all ps4 games have neglected letting two people play simulatainously.
I'd say I enjoyed my time with it more than ds3. Least salt and sanctuary has POISE

How does co-op work in this game? Doesnt it make it mind numbingly easy?

We did have trouble with some bosses but otherwise I'd say if your good at ds1, your going to rol s&s

How does the game balance the fact there are two players? Cant you just stagger each boss and kill them with light attack spam in seconds?

t. vegetarian that also eats fish

Because it's viraled even here and it's not very good. It looks like something out of newgrounds circa 2002. The animations are so shit it's hard to tell what you can or can't dodge. Anyway I got to the point where you can flip gravity at the obelisks and didn't bother to play longer.

Kinda. We both played normally and we both succeeded without stunlocking bosses. He used daggers and guns I used a giant pair of scissors and we pretty much had every engagement besides the one pirate boss so far covered.
But the pirate boss is the worst designed boss in the game so, eh.

Why would he bury this games?

Shit, Zombie Smashers X2 is kinda of repetitive but is rad as fuck, considering how crazy it all escalates, I mean, you go from punching zombies in raves to crushing metalheads on the junkyard to decapitating zombies in a french metro with a baguette.

I played his recently Charlie Murder game, it's amazing how he tried to create the zombie smashers feel but completely fails at it, the game feels dead.

Also, Survival Crisis Z is just unbelievable considering that was made by a one-man team, it is a fucking procedural post-apocalyptic open-world shooter, there are factions with the their own agenda, several enemies types including: slow zombies, fast zombies, boomers (before valve), faction warriors, bandits, etc. There's also a buddy system, (including the possibility of they dying and turning into zombies), multiple layers of world : the city, the sewers, underground dungeons, even hell itself. Also shitloads of items: Ski masks to maintain your anonymity, car batteries for torture (there's a mini game just for that), food for not starving. It was also mildy spook, with your character midly hallucinating for no reason sometimes and random chances of zombies jumping from a window next to you or walking in the street and getting rammed by some car going without breaks, some places were just plain dark and you had take your chances with a flashlight, you could either find a kevlar jacket or an army of sleeping zombies. Your character also had some light hallucinations.

Some years ago, he announced that he was going to make a multiplayer port of this fantastic vydia, but I guess he went full beta and nothing happened.

These are games to be proud of. /agdg/ didn't even manage to get in this guy's feet.

Fix'd.

I downloaded it for my notebook first since my desktop was on the fritz. It worked, but understandably enough was less than smooth and I got my ass handed to me multiple times.

Now that it's all smooth, I'm just plowing through it. Claymore with S strength scaling, two-hand it, focus on dodging, everything dies. It's fairly fun, a competent fusion of 2D action platforming and dank soles.

I went against my instincts and bought it, despite the fucking disgusting art direction.
It plays pretty okay, but it's literally a 2-D Dark Souls in every fucking sense, and I'd frankly rather just play Dark Souls.
I got a refund after about 10 minutes of playtime.
Why does it have to look like a fucking Flash game though? My god, the characters and enemies are horrendous looking.

10 minutes means you probably havent even beaten the tutorial boss. Why the fuck buy it first anyway? Game size isnt that big and there are plenty of torrents/file uploads out there.

I played to a little bit past the first sanctuary and that's an exaggeration. I mean I didn't really get to far into it, because I ended up refunding it.
And I payed for it because I like to support indie devs when their product is worth supporting.

I like having a Steam account, and I have nothing better to spend my money on, sorry.
Yeah, I know I should just kill myself. Trust me.

It wasnt an exaggeration and you just said you havent reached the tutorial boss. I always pirate games anyway to see if I want to buy it later be it on gog or steam or any other way. If you buy a game via steam valve gets a cut anyway.

Game looks alright but i dont like the artwork its whats keeping me from playing.

I dont get? Whats surprising about that? And if its is an unlicensed port how is that even possible unless whoever did it got the source code somehow.

Is there a drama behind the scenes? From what i know is was him directing and some chick was the other half of the team doing artwork and stuff. Its been that way for years and years now.

thanks OP, I'll give it a try.

(checked)

I'm trying to run Survival Crisis Z on my Windows 8 and it keeps lagging as fuck. I tried running on compatibility mode but nothing works. Is it fucked?

So it won't let me make a new character due to the game being "offline" and not connected to steam… am I doing something wrong?

What are you talking about, I said I got to the first Sanctuary. The tutorial boss is on the boat.

Thats not the tutorial boss

Probably because win8 is a shitfest and there's no reason to use it over 7.

I'll download it real quick and see if it actually runs properly.

You will have to do place some DLL files and manually register them with cmd prompt in windows 7 though

I did that too. Game runs except it lags like fuck and is unplayable.

Had to do register the dlls, but the game appears to be running fine. I'll have to go look up how the controls actually work, but it seems to be okay.

You can rebind keys in the menu.
I am so fucking jealous.

The game is shit. Many of the bosses and apsects about the weapon system make it shot.

The vampire smile port is not working

Did anyone manage to play it?

Just a sec, let me try

The game opens and all, but it seems like a layer is missing. Only the menu buttons appear and when I am in the game only the arrow indicating where the player is shows up.

help pls

Mine wont even open, I just immediately get a "stopped working" message. Compatability mode doesnt work nor does launching with admin priv. Weird

Yep.

I think it's an issue with the GPU. It's not an official port, so I believe it only works properly on nvidia processors.

There's a thread in the game's Steam forums, and the developers said they were working with another studio to port Vampire Smile and Charlie Murder to PC.

He said he was "working with microsoft" to port it to PC back in 2013, right after the unofficial port was made.

I think we can safely assume that whole thing is dead in the water.

Im using nvidia, still wont work for me

I dunno, there's a clear demand for the ports, and this looks like the kind of thing people will look at.

Here's a couple more.

S O U L S L I K E
O
U
L
S

L
I
K
E

Ok

Does someone know this russian? Didn't he publish a troubleshooting or something? I searched the fuck out of it and can't find shit, I only know that his nickname is Barabus

these dubs tho

Why these niggers forget about the first dishwasher!?

FUCK YOU JAMES, YOU SUPPOSE TO SAVE US

did you try clicking the launcher instead of the .exe? if the launcher fails install the shit in the commonredist folder then try the launcher again.

yup ,nothing out of the ordinary here

Not everyone has the time and dedication for that…

But yeah that makes them a pussy so I'm not actually sure what I was trying to accomplish with this post.

Just beat the game

I wasn't expecting the game to be so metroidvania-ish, the branding powerups are good for the most part, except the one that just open red door (and with the torch, that is already a key for hardlight brand)
That really opens the possibilities of fighting souls bosses with different abilities, even if the only real change in the game is being able to dodge in the air. Something like a boss in an arena with Obelisks, changing the fight depending if you have vertigo brand or not, would be cool.

The shortcuts between areas are unimaginative as fuck tho' is always a door with a lever, hell that applies to most shortcuts inside the areas with the occasional elevator

I give it a "soulslike" out of "not unlike the souls game"

Yup, that fixed it. Thanks a lot!

Haha, yeah.
;_;

Windows 7 and onward don't come with proper DirectX 8 support - they're missing a .dll the game uses. A copy of the .dll's included with the download though, isn't it?

Although note that one of the games he buried was actually a multiplayer one. That, along with Zombie Smashers X3 (a space sim) and a couple of early micro-games, I was never able to dig up.

Jim Sterling used to call people cunts, now he's a prime time SJW

Probably because releasing a "le 2D le Meme Souls Meme-like Souls Meme" game when the actual Le Meme Souls is still popular is pants shittingly retarded business strategy.

I'm very suspicious of this game, I remember some guy made four threads that were all exactly the same promoting this game.

Noone is telling anyone to buy the game though, its a solid 2D game. Devs are a nu-male and a raging cunt of a woman so eh.

>shitpost about it

I pirated almost all his games, but I never managed to get a legit link or torrent of Zombie Smashers X3, I really liked the demo.

Maybe I just have a fucked up build but dont you guys feel that heavy armor takes way too much equip load

It's a goddamn metroidvania game, do it blind.

I beat the tree of men or whatever it's called. Where the fuck do I go?

Ayyyy, that one got me too. Went the long way around instead after that.

There are four directions in a metroid game user. Left Right Down Up

I went the long way first, knew about the drop but got myself kill anyway

So I finally went and used one of those consumables, now I know there is fast travel in this game. Your pic related

finally beat this motherfucker. i thought the damage was insane considering i packed a Phoenix Rondache for the fire defense, the damage was still stacking on.

i went balls to the wall re-equip with flayer's rack and full blacksmith set for max fire defense. shield doesn't have bad slash resist but at least those slashes don't fucking stack unlike the fire damage. fight was easy after that. i guess, static defenses do help quite a bit.

Best armor set for a long ass while.

Also waifu.

You and everyone else. He's one of the easiest bosses in the game, outdone in ease only by the Taurus Demon and the joke they put at the end of Sen's funhouse.

bought the game when it came out on steam because i loved dishwasher samurai and charlie murder when my buddy had a 360. The game does take the whole souls like when it comes to some mechanics as well as being cryptic as fuck to the story though its easier to decipher once you get to the end.

Combat is a mix of ds with the hack and slash from dishwasher and charlie murder.

Bosses can go from easy as fuck to holy fuckin shit fuck this guy. Good variety of weapons that can be upgraded for different builds. I went with spears and had so much fun with spear/poleaxe/scythes. Art style could be better though they shouldve kept their eyes closed for most npc.

All in all i had fun with it. NG+ becomes hard as fuck as enemies will fuck you up. Too bad nothing new is presented other than high tier crafting items to upgrade weapons to class 5

I only got Zombie Smashers X2 from a kind user digging it up out of an old HDD for me. Actually promised him that if I ever found X3 I'd get in touch with him on the spot for it.

i just spent 5 grey orbs removing my hammer/axe lvl 5. started leveling my greathammer/greataxe stat. you can 1-hand those things if you have weapon class + 1 mastery. so i'm guessing endgame i'll be rolling with a class 4 greathammer/greataxe, bigass shield, and almost no armor to speak of for weight concerns.

that's kind of a sad skill tree since 1-handing a 2-hand weapon will obviously outclass any 1-hand of the same class.

All one handed weaponsi n this game are shit. The game in general is pretty shit.

Jesus christ.