Etrian Odyssey V

How do you guys feel about Etrian Odyssey V?
archive.is/LIGxo

I'm definitely excited. But this is CURRENT YEAR and it also has on cart DLC like Untold 2.
personacentral.com/etrian-odyssey-v-box-art-limited-edition-famitsu-dx-pack-screenshots/

That shit right there puts me on the fence. But I'm without a doubt getting the soundtrack. I love Yuzo Koshiro's stuff (he also does the music for 7th Dragon and another is coming soon) and hope this game will get a FM/PC98 arranged soundtrack. RIP EO4 arranged retro CD

Other urls found in this thread:

personacentral.com/new-etrian-odyssey-v-screenshots-character-artwork-master-skills/
personacentral.com/tag/etrian-odyssey-v/
etrian.wikia.com/wiki/Primevil
en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/The_Genius_of_Sappheiros
romhacking.net/translations/2176/
romhacking.net/translations/2621/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This games are dungeon Crawlers, right? I like those, should Pirate them all?

Regardless of it having DLC I want to continue to support the series because its still a series I like to play despite getting into it fairly recently.

The class/race system seems a bit more restricting now but with the way parties can work with special attacks activating I can't really say for sure how restricting it is.

Always looking forward to that comfy music and environment though. And I definitely like the eye color and portrait customization that they added now. Really looking forward to this one

Is it one of those games where characters are static sprites?
Why can't they animate them? It's not even pixel art at this point, it's plain anime with alpha channel, just hire some cheap gooks and make them do in-between animation, like you do for you shitty 12 episode series.

Emulate the DS ones and give them a try, avoid the remakes

Why?

Yes they are first person dungeon crawlers with a emphasis on map making. Etrian Odyssey 1 is considered rough on the edges and isn't well polished. 2 is somewhat polished, brutal, but can be broken with effort. 3 is considered one of the best in the series and adds a ton of small features that really stack up. The dungeon designs are some of the best in the series. 4 is a game that's great for beginners and a solid game in general.

Etrian Odyssey Untold 1 and 2 are made for a more casual audience but they're not bad games. They do, however, have a story mode and some dumb design choices.

The remakes tend to make everything casualized to the point where even on hard mode its piss easy. Not to mention there's warp points to every ladder in the labyrinth after you've explored the floor fully which removes part of the danger/excitement of the game.

The second one, Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 made the enemies and bosses super sponges for damage where the battles tend to seem to drag on far longer than they should. Not to mention a lot of the day 1 DLC that it had.

I wish they'd make it harder
Nah, in EOIII, by the 4th stratum I figured out the best strategy for beating bosses and regular strong enemies(most bosses went dead in 8-10 turns, strong enemies in 2) and then the game became extremely boring, I wasn't even using a broken party or anything.
Just wish there were more varied ways to deal with stuff.

I wonder how they're going to do unison attacks. I really liked the system they had going in 3. And I can't wait for the soundtrack too. I've been listening to the music from this series for years and still get goosebumps from some of the tracks.

That's because the characters don't appear in battle. It's all first person like Dragon Quest 1 - 7. So they don't need to be animated.

This is very true. You can even fight a FOE and just retry right before you fought it. All tension immediately gone. Why need adeline threads when you can just teleport to the stairs?

I love this series yet I always get bored of my team and go back to the start to make a new one. If you want something harder I would recommend Dungeon Travelers 2 for the Vita. It's plenty hard and a fantastic dungeon crawler. Don't let the fanservice fool you, it has a good deal of death and good dungeon designs that you can easily get lost in.

Worse, it's one of those games where you don't even see your characters beyond a portrait and you're just staring dead ahead at the enemy the whole time. There's no excuse for that level of laziness in the current year, fastest fucking way to turn me off an RPG.

I'm looking forward to that status effect using class and the shamans, along with what the new FOEs are going to look like (unless they're recolored/rehashed of old FOEs).

Have we gotten any new information on the classes besides that one element damage dealing knight?

I used to dislike this stuff when I was myself. But as I played them more I actually like it. Especially when games take advantage of the camera to give you a scope of how massive a monster is. A good example of this is the Estark fight in Dragon Quest 4 PSX.

It could be laziness, but it's definitely a design choice the series has gone with. Changing it for no reason would upset the fans of the series. Obviously it's not for everyone though.

Meant to say "I used to dislike this stuff myself".

personacentral.com/new-etrian-odyssey-v-screenshots-character-artwork-master-skills/

Each of the classes have some description here.
personacentral.com/tag/etrian-odyssey-v/
Looks like the reaper is the status effect class. Cestus is a mix between Dark Hunter and the DLC class from Untold 2.

I'd like to try a necromancer healer with maybe a couple reapers

Wow another game with races that are just humans with odd features SHOW ME THE MONSTERS

nice

nice

nice

nice

9/10 buy.

I was looking into this series, what are the differences between JP and US versions? Was gonna play in japanese but if us version doesn't change much stuff around I'll save myself the trouble

That aside, it's a good way to use resources for more important things like, you know, gameplay

I have no clue what I'm going to try out. It would most likely take me a hour to make a team.

Just like most works of fiction made in Japan. Other races are there for reproduction, not actual variety.

I don't think the US, EU, or JP versions have any obvious differences besides language. No meme translations, bugs, or censorship. I would just emulate the DS games if I were you.

anyone played Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight?
how is it?

Has the release schedule for the series always been this busy? It seems like they've been shitting out EO games since IV.

You don't need animations to have a good game. You can dislike it all you want, but calling it "lazy" is just being disingenuous.

The remakes are shit, don't bother playing them

fug, already read the other posts, bullet dodged.

(Checked)
I will emulate the DS games, was just wondering if I'd play on moon or burger. Well, I'll decide when I get around to it

I have beaten 3 and completed IV, Untold and Untold 2. Everything about V looks great so far (except for the DLC).

Didn't touch story mode but there is some DLC bullshit, locking out a class (Highlander), parts of floors and bosses. Luckily I pirated that shit.

Don't forget Stranger of Sword city, mate. If it isn't a contender with DT2 for best DRPG on the system, it's a definite runner up.
Plus, the art is pure sex.

Oh fugg

Definitely will be using her.

Hello?

7th Dragon III was really good, so I'm ready for a new EO. I should finish IV though.

Playing that right now and the art is fantastic and I'm enjoying the game. This is what I wanted Demon Gaze to be like and Experience did well taking the criticism from that game and applying it to this.

Archer is such a good class as well as samurai. Somehow my archer is a tank in both defense and power. Neys are truly the master race.

>censored travelers 2
No thanks

any got the pics?

There are over 200 CGs, and Atlus got the original devs to redraw 4 of them since they were in danger of getting an AO rating otherwise.

I'm as anti-censorship as they come - I went out of my way to import Bravely Default: For the Sequel - and I don't think what happened with DT2 was unreasonable.

Atlus didn't ask the esrb and they never submitted it.

COVER YOU EYES BECAUSE THESE IMAGES ARE FUCKING ILLEGAL!!!

Isn't censorship supposed to do the exact opposite to my dick?

You are a fucking retard. If you're talking about the quote I think you're talking about, they contacted an ESRB rep unofficially and asked for what they might run into issues with.

If you know anything about the industry, that makes sense. Actually getting an official submission done costs money - and especially for niche shit like DT2 they couldn't afford to get an AO on their first shot. Asking one of their ESRB contacts to look over the CGs was their best option. Considering how open they were about the whole thing, and the fact that they announced the details of the censorship when they announced the localization I'm not going to complain. Half the reason NoA and NISA censorship pisses me off is because of how they try to hide it or attempt to sidestep the issue.

Looks like someone's spouting bullshit again. Do drawings trigger you?

That isn't bullshit. You obviously know nothing about the industry, because the whole way that the ESRB continues to run is that they charge a submission fee for every time they officially look at a game. It's a fairly large fee, too. Last I heard it was several thousand dollars to get a game rated.

Look, I'd like if we could get the original drawings too - but you've got to pick your battles. Atlus isn't trying to censor shit just for the hell of it like NoA or NISA. They're one of the few localization companies worth a damn.

This is going to be one of those games where i spend hours upon hours trying out class customizations right from the start of the game.

Untold kind of killed my hype, didn't touch untold 2 but the grimoire system was fucking garbage.
DLC worries me.
Censorship worries me.
Won't be a day 1 purchase by any means.

I hate the artstyle so much that i just can't take the game seriously or bring myself to play it.
The Dark Spire 2 when? Or are any of those newer japan exclusive Wizardry games getting a fan translation or localization?.

FUCK OFF PERSONAFAGS, ETRIAN ODYSSEY IS SUPPOSED TO BE AN OLD SCHOOL DUNGEON CRAWLER

YOU FAGGOTS ARE WHY WE HAVE THE UNTOLDS AND DLC AND VOICE ACTING

KILL YOURSELVES

I hate race system because they are essentially 2nd job classes that poorly contextualized.

How am I suppose to know what race is good at what?

You are a stupid shit eating retard if you believe anything a corporation says and take it at 100% face value. Gta 5 and demon gaze are perfect examples of games with lewd content that got away without M ratings. I don't know why you defend fatlus censorship, but it's pathetic.

i think there is a pic floating around of lewd games getting away with a T rating.

I know what pic you are talking about, but i don't have it either.

Without ao ratings rather.

Call me a casual babby, but I really hope they revise the skill tree somewhat and make it more flexible, with more branches.

EO4 kinda felt like forcing me to autistically plan my entire character and party setup before even setting foot into the first dungeon.

Which sounds stupid, since EO4 makes it very, very easy to change your party on the fly, far easier than any other part of the series. Resetting skill points only costs two levels, and every time you get a new class, you get a free, leveled party member of that class and two free tickets of leveling a character to about the par of the area.

It's alright. Better than EOU1. The game is balanced around the story hero's broken as fuck class, so the HP of bosses has been greatly inflated since the original EO2, which makes Classic Mode play differently.

On the 3DS, in terms of quality it goes EOIV > Persona Q > Untold 2 >Untold 1

For me, it'll depend on how they decide to handle the characters and their art. They haven't shied away from that in the past, but with how Atlus seems to be heading now what with their handling of Persona x FE and their willingness to work with NoA I'm really skeptical.
With any luck, they won't shit the bed and fuck with this franchise, too, but I would not be surprised.
I would also need to find my 3DS again I guess.

Don't support it if the DLC is cancer level.
Like Untold 2 had cancer level DLC a locked class and maps were half empty until you got the DLC.

If the DLC is unintrusive shit like skins, Actual bonus maps and stuff I'll buy it. If it's anything that impacts the base game significantly I.E A class, maps being removed for DLC, etc. then I'll be skipping it. I'm not even gonna pirate it so they don't have an excuse on why the game failed.

This may or may not be the slightly outdated one, but here you go. Reminder to never ever let censorship apologists and shills trick you into thinking a game "needed" to be censored to avoid an AO. Only the dumbest nigger would believe that blatant corporate lie.

EO5 looks dope. All the various bits of customization they're adding to the party tickle my pickle. The only hangup I have is that I rather dislike that you seem to be able to respec a race into a class it couldn't initially choose. Not only does that defeat the purpose of racial-based classes, but it also makes me wonder if there are portraits provided for such a scenario. I'll be quite assmad if they are hidden and need to be "unlocked" in that manner. Not being able to peruse all illustrations as I initially make my party would piss me off, especially should I come across any spectacular loli class illustrations hours into the game.

Regardless, day 1 pirate if Fatlus takes out the seiyuu.

Even Untold 2 had spa DLC. I seriously doubt anything will be censored. Still, DLC is a worry.

Play Stranger of the Sword City. It's on Xbone and Vita and should be coming to PC soon.

I honestly wouldn't doubt this. Untold was the attempt to reach a more casual audience. And when you do so, you can get away with shit like day 1 DLC. At least you can just mute voices so having both isn't a bad thing. I play with no voices either way. Saying that, did Persona 4 Golden even have DLC? I never even bothered playing it because I'm not a fan of P4.

Races to me seem like a subclass right off the bat, but with more limitations. Certain races can't be certain classes unless you class change them later. They also have unique abilities.

I don't think that's even necessary. What we need is the skills to tell us exactly what they do so you can see when diminishing return sets in. Many times you would invest in a skill just to find out the points invested into it don't go so well with the build you intended.
Is autism used for anything that takes brain power?

I want to explode on Wynne's exposed backside!

I would accept voice acting, since you can turn it off, even if it shows that they're aiming for the faggot audience they tried to get with the Untolds. But seeing as we know that they're cutting shit out as day zero DLC, I refuse to buy it.

Fuck EO, it was a great series that got ruined by jews and trying to appeal to the wider audience.

This is all that really needs to be said, isn't it?
If you didn't drop the series after 4 because of all the DLC, it is my genuine wish that you contract one of the least pleasant forms of cancer and die a painful yet moderately quick death so that you can't pollute the world anymore. If you support DLC, especially when it ruins an excellent series, karma dictates that you should be culled by the world.

Its gonna be cancerous trash just like Untold

Enjoy your literal pay2grind DLCs

4 had the stupid QR codes which weren't really DLC. Those were all online by the second day the game dropped.

GTA 4 expansions literally have full frontal nudity

You are a retard if you think ESRB gives a shit about those pics. Its just a convenient scapegoat for shills to justify neutering the games to make them more "marketable"

Dropped like a baby that is not mine

It sure did. A shining example of DLC done right, because it's not fucking DLC. I can download them all for free. Keep them all wherever I like them. Transfer them to another person if I want, and they all will work forever, independent of anyone else's permissions.

After 4, true DLC began.

Usually when people say "after X" it implies that X did something so horrible that the subsequent things couldn't recover from.

Right back at you, sport.
None of those pictures would get them an AO rating. An M, at worst, and that's only because of the titty monster deepthroating the bag or whatever the fuck that is.
Like said, GTA4 had cocks front and center, and tits flopping about like they're nothing. You could even buy sex from girls in GTA, and that only gets an M. And look at stuff like Neptunia or Atelier, which get T ratings for similar images.

Is there a Mad Lib for Holla Forums posters who just don't feel like saying anything worth reading but post anyway? All this is missing is a poorly drawn MS paint strawman comic.

Maybe. I personally would have said "starting with 4" if that were the case. Either way, the fact remains that regardless of how much of a 12 year old edgelord it makes me, I genuinely wish a painful death on people who support that kind of shit.
EO was such a good series, like many others, and seeing it ruined in this way hurt pretty deeply.

Except he's right.

You tell me lad

Untold 1 didn't have DLC as far as I can remember. It had a lot of other problems though, since they wanted the generic JRPG audience.

Like this faggot, for example. Good, fuck off, you're not wanted. EO was doing fine as a niche series, and seeing as they kept making them, they were obviously profitable.

wait did U1 have DLC?
I honestly forget.
I mean that game was mediocre but what really pushed the series into shittyness for me anyways was the inclusion of horrible DLC practices.
U1 I was believe it or not pretty okay with, it was piss easy, but EO1 I believe honestly needed a remake, it was janky as all fuck with ability interactions

Oh. Oh, shit. Untold 1 was after 4, wasn't it. Yeah. My bad on that. I mean it was a pretty big dropping off point for the series, but it wasn't THAT bad yet.

It didn't need a remake though, it didn't need to be dumbed down to be even easier than EO4, and it didn't need a god damned story mode.

At this point in the gaming industry, you rather wish for the series to die rather then a new one made because they are just going to fuck it over. Of course there are exeptions, but not as many as horrible sequels.

I don't know man EO1 was pretty bad difficulty wise "fight postgame bosses as level 20 characters by abusing immunize+defender".
Half the skills were translated wrong, you couldn't actually finish mapping endgame maps because of the icon limit.
The story mode was a step in the wrong direction, but at least they didn't balance the game around story mode like they did in U2.

Both the final and the post game bosses have moves that remove your buffs and the post game boss is a DPS race so even fighting it with level 20 characters is a guaranteed wipe.
Did you play the original at all?

Only Dragon and Entreant did, and even then Entreant didn't like to cast it so you could keep it up easy
Primeval didn't

etrian.wikia.com/wiki/Primevil

You could have just said you didn't play it you lying sack of shit

Oh right sorry that was on random cast and it was a very low chance. So low I forgot he had it.

Also etreant casts it 100% of the time if you have more than 5 buffs i.e. you can only have either immunize or defender and after that if you even cast blaze or switch stances as a samurai, its a guaranteed resolve.
I don't know why I typed this as you clearly haven't even played it.

How does that disprove anything?
So 2/6 postgame bosses have it.
I'm including golem because he's optional.
And the final boss does if you try to stack 6 buffs.

In Untold Primevil punishes you for using too much buffs by using King's Resolve. It then uses an attack likely to wipe out your party (Armageddon).

Its not a low chance, he has the same formula to use it as Etreant but since he follows a fixed pattern based on turn number already he only gets to cast it on a turn with no elemental attack booked.

Because you can't beat the post game bosses with immunize+defender, let alone a level 20 party, the basis of your post.

So sorry you can only beat a majority of the postgame bosses with immunize+defender.
Manticore, Drake, Golem, Alurune, Wyvern, Wyrm. all can't remove buffs.

we're talking original not untold. Immunizer and defender were heavily nerfed.

They don't need to because unless you are using boosted immunize the trio elemental spells can one hit kill with Drake and Manticore having one hit kill attacks.
Alraune and Golem aren't even post game. Neither is Manticore for that matter.

Yeah why the fuck wouldn't you be using boosted immunize. It's a fucking superboss, you have to at least prepare a little.

Yeah, I'm surprised it didn't do that as often in EO.

Bump

Because Axcela IIIs are rare as fuck?

Olympia did nothing wrong by the way

By the way, is it worth playing 7th Dragon III if I haven't played the others yet?

Only if you pirate it.

Would I get much enjoyment out of this is I've never played Persona 3 or 4? I like the look of it, but I don't know how much plot stuff it mentions and I wouldn't know who any of the characters are.

Are you worried that it'll turn to garbage if it gets popular in the West? Or is it because of DLC?

A little bit of this, a little bit of Sega.
Shining Force, never forget.

I'm scared of things I like getting popular now, companies are companies, especially with things like the TPP existing.

I think static sprites are better in a turn-based RPG. Having everybody patiently wait their turn to attack feels a little silly in animation. Static images let you imagine how the battle actually plays out, and make the battles feel like they happen at a faster pace. Watching the same drawn out attack animations just slows things down and gets boring. Even when the game lets you fast forward, it just makes the animations feel even sillier. Fast forwarding in EO feels more natural, I guess.

They said that they're not reusing any designs from previous games.

I didn't play the others but 7th D III basically ties them all together and ends the series. Made me pretty interested to try the previous entries. 7th Dragon on the DS and 2020 on PSP have fan translations.

That game has a really nice title screen, it's the kind of attention to small details that makes it shine.

Next time you play this don't skip it.

I feel that I want to fuck that green rabbit.

I have bought Moe chronicles and stranger of sword city like a good goy, aside from the game of OP, which other dungeon crawlers should i keep my eye on?

Grimrock, particularly 2.

I think I'm a rare case of a person who prefers Grimrock 1 over Grimrock 2. I just don't think that the overworld areas added much, they were mostly pretty empty.
Also Grimrock 1 had much better puzzles and the level design was better.

Can't think of anything on the horizon. Ray Gigant sounds like a really streamline and casual experience from the details I've read from it. There's another dungeon crawler coming to the Vita but there has barely been any news about it. As some here have already said, Dungeon Travelers 2 is something worth getting your hands on.

On PC there's Paper Sorcerer. The older EO games are easy to emulate and it shouldn't be hard drawing maps with a mouse. Outside of that I can't help you much. I'm slowly getting into the genre myself.

NoA was responsible for literally all of the censorship in that game. Atlus has an almost XSeed-like history of not censoring their games in the many years they've been localizing, so anyone who thinks that they're suddenly heading in a new direction and that they'll treat their main franchises that way isn't paying attention.

Nice try schlomo. There's worse shit in T rated games. And they accidentally made roller loli hotter by adding spats.

Dancer is pure sex.

i hate how they lock classes behind dlc

honestly I love the series and I think I have 1-4 but they keep fucking pushing the jew shit.

smt had a bunch of dlc. iirc the smt srpg also had a bunch.

almost forgot about the dogshit persona q

god what a let down

That's the way the industry is going. I barely even pay attention to new stuff any more.

How so?

It had the waterdowned gear system from persona 3/4. You could have sub personas but they just added a few spells/skills and just minimally boosted the main persona.

Leveling didnt feel like you gained anything. No talent trees or anything engaging. Party comp means you need to pick naoto since she is the only one with light/dark.

The maps felt more tedious but maybe that was the rest of the game affecting my feeling towards them. DLC as well. I want to say at some point you need to split up your team and need to have a bunch of people leveled/geared but that could be getting mixed up with my memories of the touhou rpg which was really good btw.

en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/The_Genius_of_Sappheiros

Also I felt the story was lacking. The new characters were shitty. No social links (and missing a huge chance at another layer of character customization).

It felt very lukewarm and just the bare minimum really

Remember, the solution is to not buy those games. If you buy them, you are the reason it keeps happening, you are part of the group deserving the majority of the blame for DLC, and you forfeit any rights to complain about it.

Everything about this entire post is wrong.

i guess its prob time to research the 3ds romcarts and just buy one of those

Don't exist. You need to install cfw, go read the 3DS piracy thread.
You can get flashcarts that'll allow you to play pirated NDS roms on a 3DS though.

That's unfortunate. I might check out that Touhou game though, looks interesting. Never played any of the shmups, hopefully I won't be too lost.

Wouldn't that cause major performance issues considering those games aren't even optimized for the older console?

Don't lie, kid. It's not nice.
You're better off with CFW in every way, but saying they don't exist is untrue.

What does this even mean? Why do people say this?

Shit, I thought they didn't exist. Never mind then.

It's probably a reference to some bad translation of a forgotten hentai or the like.
Everyone here knows what the word waifu means but not many myself included could tell you what anime it originates from.

Azumanga Daioh

Just because Azumanga's old doesn't mean it's obscure.

shit nigga, im a fucking lurker and even i know that.

It's not a reference to anything, it's just a metaphor. They're saying she's so sexy that she becomes an embodiment of sex.

Daily reminder of who best girl is.

I didn't realize how many people here seem to watch slice of life, pardon my ignorance of the genre.

Never watched it in my life, and I hate moeshit.

This was before moeshit became a thing. Every series copied Azumanga. I hate the slice of life formula, and even I consider Azumanga far more palitable. ymmv. Give it the 3 ep trial if you're curious.

Practice better care in the future.
(1)
(1)
(1)

Are you talking about that google doc filled with translated words, or an actual translation patch? I'm currently playing through it right now.

Oh yeah, forgot that Lucky Star popularized that shit. OK I give it a look.
Usually an obvious question but, sub or dub?

Like you said, it's obvious.

wew lad

Hopefully we will get more smut from the guy that draws Sekaiju no Anone

Especially Dancer

Dancer is for hug, not fug. She's just too innocent to know that she should wear clothes.

black bunny 1&2 are translated, dont know if BB3 is translated.

i feel like there are a lot of girls i want to boink from this series

Boy dancers are for fug though.

romhacking.net/translations/2176/
romhacking.net/translations/2621/

Nigger they make all kinds of half-assed localizations and we just caught them censoring a game not to long ago.

Nintendo didn't say anything, that's just basic fucking logic.

Bump

I think you misread my post. I said NDS, not N3DS. I was talking about original DS roms.