Post games that are all style and no substance

Post games that are all style and no substance.

I'll start with this, but I could've picked almost any of Suda's games.

Psychonauts
Persona
Vice City

This piece of shit

Bloodborne.

Killing Floor
Any of the id reboots
Any form of edgy murder simulator
Quake 1, but to be fair it's still one of the best FPS' out there
Witcher 1
Every Dead Space game

user, overwatch has no style. It's just a shit product all around. What the hell are you on?

Only root chalices are procedurally generated and they're not the endgame chalices people talk about, but I don't expect you to know that without having played the game.

HE

I don't understand.

HAS

Honestly, almost every modern game (last 5-10 years at least). Just a whole lot of bells and whistles laced with cancer and nothing else. We've entered the fast food age of gaming and it's fucking awful.

Half the games posted here are Holla Forumscore. How exactly is this trying to fit in?

Oh yeah? You like the style of nuDOOM?

That's not the point of the thread.
Post games with good style.

That's not how it works you dumb fucks.

God damn the fucking plebbitor dumbshits that visit this site.

I really wish Killer is Dead was better. I bought it for seven dollars and found it unbearably boring. It feels like it wanted to be an anime, honestly. I would watch it if it was one, though. The aesthetic and setting and such was kind of interesting.

I… can't really deny that despite loving the shit out of the game. At least its style and soundtrack were good enough to forgive its lack of depth

Agreed. I had fun with it at the time but it's pretty shallow. Great art direction and soundtrack though. The announcers were hilarious, too.

For how many of these games would you say this is true? Easily half of them. TMNT tomorrow by the way

that game has neither style nor substance.

Kinda looks like pic related

Just like the "overrated games" template threads, the correct answer here is your favorite game

That's just it, though. I feel it only goes so far. I feel Madworld succeeded by having so much else being pretty decent about it that it forgave its flaws, but it something like definitely doesn't have enough to be anything more than style. Style needs something to back it up (like Madworld's comedy, fun, but shallow gameplay, and soundtrack all add to the style) to help it forgive how weak the overall experience is.

I'd say it had style by at least trying something different with the license.

E.V.E. Nuff said.

My favorite game of all time is "style over substance"

But that game had substance, user. This is a thread for games without any.

And the worst opinion of all

This thread gave me fucking cancer

Seriously, it's so bad I have to smoke weed now

If a really shallow, short, and easy arcade-action title counts as sufficient substance, then sure.

I mean, it has little content, even for the gen it was released in.
And style is pretty much the entire legacy of the title.
It's still my favorite game.

Earthbound

I wish people told me this was actually trash before I wasted my life on it.

It's not a game, it's a VN, not sure what you actually expected

No, the whole design and asthetics are garbage, it was garbage in Doom 3 and its garbage now.

I expected a story of substance, not WHACKY LOL DESPAIR HIJINKZ.

What did you expect?

Then don't call it "all style no substance"

It might be hard for your 14 year old brain, but not every label you can give to a game means good or shit.
"All style no substance" doesn't mean "shit game".

Normalfags are praising it for the style thought, ignoring the shallow generic mechanics, that was the reason why I posted it.

Jesus user, I know this isnt a Tumblr hugbox, but calm the fuck down.

MGR

You didn't see the mandatory executions that completely disrupt the shooting gameplay?

Take your own advice: if "style over substance" doesn't have negative connotations, it certainly doesn't have positive connotations.

Got anything besides "lol ur just wrong?"

eh, it's a good RPG. And that's coming from a guy who can't stand any form of turn-based game.

But No More Heroes 2 mini-games are all about gameplay and are great? Comba is also decent with the dark-step mechanic.

Killer7, too.

Even when sperging out he has a point, style over substance is not bad IF the substance under said style is a lot
You have the action style sub-genre with DMC, Bayonetta, God Hand
One might also include Yakuza even when it doesn't have that much substance, many fighting games have absurd amount of style, even wrestling ones (DJ Fight for NY)
Sometimes the game has a bunch of style but not enough substance to help it, pic related
Threads seems to be "games with a lot of art style polishing but very shallow/ultra generic gameplay"

Literally any VN that gets approved for an anime is all style, no substance.

They all have equal parts substance and style

Except Killer is Dead, it has more style over substance, but still plenty of the latter.

They are all games that play great, look great and are generally great. Again, not as much with KiD, the story was a little bit confusing. What kind of an answer were you expecting to be honest? A 600 hundred word essay detailing how each game has style and substance and what those qualities are?

Almost every time someone tries to shit on Bloodborne it becomes immediately obvious that they never even played the game.

What compels people to trash a game they never played?

On top of that, any fighting game that takes a lot of influences from anime (Melty Blood, Under Night; In-birth, Blazblue, etc) is guaranteed to be stylish trash.

The question was all style and no substance as opposed style over substance.

I'm sure pretty much 99% of anime is all style no substance.

I'm referring to quake in particular here, I personally think it has way more style over substance. The gunplay gives me a headache.

Oh come the fuck on, it's the closest you can get to a monhun-type on PC. Pretty much modern RPG at its peak.

Exactly, that's what i meant with the last line about the thread
And no matter how we put it (unless it's a VN aka not a game) a product with all style and NO substance (or very few) is hardly ever a good game
I mean i think that should be well-known under anyone who has played games

I have no idea why people like this game, its painfully mediocre in every aspect

Wut DD is nothing like MonHun

isn't that koei-tecmo monhun ripoff on pc?

I don't mean in terms of combat, but in the idea of what an RPG should be in the current day. Cool towns, fun quests with little shit to do, original swordplay and companion management.

It's hard to explain. I just get the same feeling when I play monhun.

…Dark Souls? I wouldn't say Dogma and Souls are very much alike. Dogma has a far more upbeat atmosphere that affects gameplay heavily.

Toukiden Kiwami.

You do not understand this thread.

yer all fur coat no knickers, bitches

Coming through!

Shit, you might as well say pokemon is no substance as well then.

Its meme status. Its why some people trash classic Sonic, Classic Doom It happens, and a lot of it happened with Undertale. While I'm sure there are people that legit hate it, it always gets mixed in with people who hate it just because its popular.

what goes around comes around, even if it wasnt you that started it. someone probably shit on something they like for reasons they dont think are valid.

it's still one of my favorite games

Nigger, that game belongs on this thread too. I'm not saying it was good. I'm just saying there are plenty of people that will pretend they've played a game just because a lot of people here have played it. It happens to a lot of new games. Its happening a lot to NuDoom though I can't attest to any form of quality on that one, I can promise you it will happen to basically every game coming out this year. They'll read some info on it or watch a trailer and then embarrass themselves pretending they've played it.

This too. There are also people that are so scared of having an opinion here, they're pussy whipped into line. They're probably faggot ledditors.

THAT is how you can tell a game is good. If it can stand the test of time then you have a gem.

Fuck you for making me remember that.

all of the Prince of Persia games count.

Fuckers ITT not knowing what Style is.

Nigga you crazy

Killer Is Dead was pretty shit though

Better combat system than most games out there. Platforming was pretty good too. I wouldn't say it didn't have substance, it was just pretty old school.