Minecraft

I feel like once this game started adding shit like hunger, magic, and horses it became too much.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ap87xnjOh8E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no shit

Care to elaborate?

It's not exactly a revelation. Minecraft went into god knows how many directions without really committing, and added shit for no reason without thinking.

WOW
NO SHIT
Everybody knows MC went to garbage after beta 1.8.

Hunger would be nice but it just becomes an annoyance the way it's currently implemented. Worst case is you stuff yourself with rotten meat, because eating more offsets it's debuff.
Potion crafting is kinda cool. I would prefer if there were cheaper potions though. You need nether wart to make nearly every potion, it would be nice if there were alternate paths to potions or something.
Dual wielding is nice, but it's a bit simple. Dual wielding the same item should give some nice side effects, like actually being able to use two swords at once.
Comparators are pretty useful. It's the first proper Redstone tool in ages but it works pretty well. The whole analog circuit thing makes Redstone more powerful, because you can have things like combination locks.

If they just stopped to polish off things they've already added the game would be much better. Everything's halfassed, and the most useful thing in 1.9 is a piston glitch.

The core problem of Minecraft is one of scale. Minecraft, as it functions even of today, makes sense for worlds of the size of the first pic and even in the second pic, but not in an "infinite" world the size of Neptune.

Gating of progression is also completely fucked. Potions are gated behind Hell. And as of 1.9 you have to keep going back there for fuel for your brewing stand. Likewise special arrows are gated behind the final boss. On the other hand the top tier material for armor and weapons can be gained right off the bat by digging down from the starting point and branch mining.
If you're going to put RPG like elements in your game then you should at least play a couple RPGs to familiarize yourself with how it's actually done.

star butterflys legs in mineconf

here is a review of minecraft, here says what you say, its a crappy game but I play it when I want to waste time, I like using all the random crap in the game to do random autistic stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=ap87xnjOh8E

threadly reminder that the autistic finn behind minetest doesn't want it to become a proper game

Minecraft should have remained first and foremost a sandbox. Potions, xp, enchanting - Pointless crap that distracts from building shit. Instead of all these RPG elements they should have looked to redstone shit and added more variety to the blocks. Maybe some more realistic ore distribution.

thats hot
more

I got into Minecraft really late, just about a year ago in fact. But I liked the way it "felt".

When 1.8 came out, I hated it. They added a bunch of stone varieties that I thought were unneccesary, for starters. They changed the enchanting mechanic so it became so pathetically easy that you didn't even need XP farms anymore. Worst of all, they cluttered the vast, empty, beautiful oceans with stupid enemies that had the most annoying possible attacks and guarded structures with loot that wasn't nearly valuable enough to justify the hassle.

The combat changes in 1.9 I hated even more.

It made me realize something: literally everyone loves the version of Minecraft they played first and hates any changes after that. If your first experience was 1.7 like me, you like that best and hate 1.8 and everything after it. If your first experience was in Beta, you'll like that the most. if your first experience was motherfucking Classic, you'll like that the most.

Thing is, this is basic human psychology. People dislike changes to anything they become comfortable with and like. Minecraft is a comfy sandboxy game no matter what version you first started playing, and so your first experience is going to be wonderful and magical and beautiful. Every time you play, then, you're going to be comparing it to that very first time. If anything is different, you will hate it for that because it's in your nature.

Oh I'm sure you think you're different, but you're not. I'm sure you can think of reasons or excuses to justify your preference, but it's all bullshit. You like the first version you played because it was the first version you played, and that's all there is to it.

So fucking shut up and stop complaining about it. You can download and play old .jar files of Minecraft going back as far as you wish. Nobody is stopping you from enjoying the "game" you once played or making you update to newer versions. I never updated after 1.7.5, and I continue to pretend granite and guardians and a use for lapis don't exist. You can do the same.

but user my favorite version came a few updates after I started.
Started just before snow was added, my favorite state of the game was the halloween 2010 update.

same but it was much later
got in about before the 2010 update, but 1.7.3 was the shit

Hunger is awful. The worst part is when it was first announced Notch said it would be optional, but it isn't. I miss when food healed directly.

The problem I have with enchanting and potions is they took the fun out of potential crafting recipes. Like we could have crafted fire arrows by combining arrows with blaze powder, but nope, bow enchantment. Also enchanting relies on the unnecessary and dumb XP System addition.

I don't think horses are a problem, I just think they were implemented far too late for me to care.

Pretty much what I do.

What changed?

user, later updates made changes that are genuinely worse. Stuff that makes things more grindy and things like less unique terrain generation. It's not a nostalgia thing.

How hard is it to mod Minecraft. I'm thinking of making a mod pre-Adventure Update that adds some new things and some of the stuff from newer updates that I did like, without having to put up new mechanics.

Better than Wolves mod should've been incorporated into the game in the state it was before Flowerchild whent full retard with everything being HARDCOER

My first experience with the game was on 1.7.3 on a small server with 5 friends.

It was one of the most comfiest things ever. Sadly the game went to shit and the creator lost site of what he originally pitched.

It went to shit and lost direction after indev, which is now a pain in the ass to even run. Fuckety fuck.

Is there a way to "downgrade" the official version to sn older one?

Get MultiMC.
Now have fun modding the shit out of any version you like.

Yeah, some program can download older versions of the game, all the way back in infdev.

Any other alpha bros here?

It feels weird that I have little complaints about the hunger system, despite understanding how everyone feels about it. Then again, I suppose I am biased because with the hunger system eventually came command blocks, and the way I play(ed) is to make autism contraptions that eventually conform to a minigame. Or just Platforming courses like pic #2 related.

Their launcher had previous version in it's settings somewhere.

I miss those times, met so many cool people before the game was flooded with 12 year olds

Never mind, you can use the normal launcher to change version.

Minecraft took an interesting voxel-like engine and made the singleplayer mode absolute shit.

Ordinary RPGs have a steady progression of better loot, better weapons, better abilities, more areas to explore and so on. Minecraft has no concept of leveling up aside from useless XP points. If you spawn in an area with lava, sheep and trees, there's no reason to walk anywhere else. If you build a nether portal, you better spawn next to a fortress or you'll be wandering for hours. Then when you get the blaze rods, that's all you need to do in the Nether. Then just fight endermen at night, collect the eyes that drop once every twenty times, and then spend hours and hours digging through the earth trying to find a stronghold.

It's a grueling exercise in patience where hundreds of hours can be wiped away with a single creeper that doesn't even make footstep sounds. I could plan a better leveling system by accident that doesn't rely on absurdly rare items.

I bought the game in February 2010, before it even was an alpha. It was Infdev back then. And yet, no, I preferred what came after it, because it was just so barren.

Here I'll make Minecraft ten times better.

Change 1: Sleep can happen on the ground but will hurt health instead of help it.

Change 2: The easy crafting table mod is put in the game as default.

Change 3: Abilities open up as such:

Level 0-5: No bonus
Level 6-10: Sleeping restores health
Level 11-15: Compass will point to minerals
Level 16-20: Monster radar is enabled
Level 21-25: Items can be repaired on an anvil and it just takes one of the item's materials, no cost except time.
Level 26-30: Lava and strongholds are pointed to on the compass.
Level 31-35: Sleeping and the compass can work in the nether, pointing to fortresses.
Level 36-40: Hunger no longer a mechanic.
Level 41-45: Health restores over time.
Level 46-50: Every enemy will drop weapons, items or armor when killed.
Level 51-55: Repairs no longer cost items.
Level 56-60: Enchantments are unscrambled and easily available to make.
Level 61-65: Potions are easier than ever to make.
Level 66-70: Flying mounts are available.
Level 71-75: Flying mounts can travel with you to the nether.
Level 76-80: Flying mounts will travel with you to the End.
Level 81-85: Golems are available to defend.
Level 86-90: Golems are available to farm.
Level 91-95: Golems are available to mine.
Level 95-99: Duplication chest is unlocked, all items can be duplicated in the chest.
Level 100: Enemies don't fuck with you unless you strike first.

Change 1: Sleep can happen on the ground but will hurt health instead of help it.
Absolutely pointless, hardly a change that would make much difference.

Change 2: The easy crafting table mod is put in the game as default.
Fucking dumb, let's casualize it even more shall we

Nigger, unless you know the recipes from a wiki or worth of mouth, you would never guess how to craft certain items.

Would you ever randomly guess the recipe for TNT? Or how about a piston? How about a clock?

That's why the game works though. You're forced to look up info online, trough which you are most likely to find other hidden info.

If anything the game should have more hidden mechanics and tricks to get full advantages from this, not casualizing the fucking crafting table.

Just use the wiki. It's not hard and you'll probably memorise most the recipes through play. I haven't played Minecraft in over a year and I know a good amount of the crafting recipes off by heart.

Someone defending having to look up information outside of the game, first time for everything, I guess.

Fuck ARGs and everything to do with them. That's not videogames, that's cancer. Fuck off with that shit.

Typical reaction from someone that wants to casualize minecraft even more I guess

I have literally never mention ARGs. Whatever dude.

Why are you equating minecraft to DF? Also, casualize, really, are you saying it's more hardcore to check a wiki?

That's the only way I can see "get the full advantage" of having to check shit up online to be able to play your game.

This guy summed it all up perfectly.

You made the point that every game where you have to check online is shit and shouldn't be a thing.

I pointed out how wrong you were, as it is something that is done in many games.

Also the hidden stuff could be hidden gameplay shit that isn't easy to find and smaller tricks.

No, I said that looking up shouldn't be a thing, I didn't say the game is shit because of that. And yes, DF would be better off if it explained itself more in the game, at least as an ingame encyclopedia.

It's done in SOME games, and that doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Well yeah, but how does that relate to learning base game mechanics, i.e. half of the game title (MineCRAFT) where you have to look up the CRAFT part?

Oh, and as an example, here's a game that taught me basics of programming before I even knew that googling is a thing. And it was done in a stylish and understandable way.

So I just set my Minecraft back to Beta 1.5…

It feels odd. I mean I'd probably get used to it but I had a look at an old map I hadn't played since 2012, and I feel like I wouldn't even know where to begin or what to do. Haven't played it in so long I don't even remember what I last did.

I kinda feel sad about it.

Post the rest plz.

just because he posted FLOAT1.png doesn't mean hes that guy user

I think you're trolling
that said, heres how I think minecraft should be changed

start from 1.7.3 beta

fix the bugs

the game now has 512 z-levels

crafting is no longer instant

all fluid is now finite, but rain can create water, which will flow into the ocean which will never rise above a certain water level(normal+3) unless the game decides to make there be a flood, during which the ocean will rise 10 z-levels above the average

there is a 1% chance when it rains while the tide level is normal+3 for at least one minute for a flood to occur

beach biomes are added, but waves don't exist; some small creatures are exclusively found at the beach

the tide in the beach varies between normal tide+3 and normal tide-3, except when theres a flood when it slowly rises to normal+10(or abruptly stops if it stops raining), then stays at normal+10 until it stops raining, after which it slowly recedes to normal+3

mud is added to the game, when dirt is exposed to more than 1 level of water for a long enough time, it becomes mud; this happens faster if more water is around the dirt

if mud is dried in the sun, it becomes mudstone, which is easy to break, can be broken with your bare hands(which yields dirt), and can be used to make mudstone slabs, mudstone stairs, or mudstone handaxes, which are extremely fragile and break after 2 uses, 1 if it is an unintended use; it deals 1 heart of damage when used to attack an enemy

you can no longer obtain wood by hitting lumber with your bare hands, you need at least a mudstone handaxe to obtain lumber, which is crafted with 2 sticks and 1 mudstone block

you can sometimes find a stick by breaking leaf blocks

in order to obtain a mudstone block in your inventory, you must dry a mud block in the sun by holding it in your hands while the mud is exposed to level 15 sunlight for a sufficiently long amount of time, alternatively you can use a wooden or better pickaxe to break a mudstone block to obtain it as a mudstone block

tar is added to the game, sand can turn into tar in the same way that dirt can turn into mud, and tar will slow down all who stand in it by 10% of their movement speed while they are in the tar

deep underground in the nether, you can find slade, which can be used to make slade tools and slade armor; diamond pickaxes are required to obtain slade blocks

slade pickaxes can mine bedrock

compressed bedrock is added, it is only found as a 1 tile high solid layer of the material at z=-256, and cannot be broken without using creative mode or something

very, very rarely(.1% chance), a regular bedrock block instead spawn as a bedrock tile that contains a white powder inside of it, which glows with level 15 light; mining this tile with a slade pickaxe will yield the glowing white powder, which can be used to click glowstone blocks arranged into the shape of a nether portal, consuming the powder and creating a portal with the glowstone blocks, which leads to the aether; whether the place would be like the aether mod or not, I'm not sure, but but aether would have another material level above slade, the mining pick of which still can't break compressed bedrock

aether portals will not work in the nether

deep sea creatures are added and are found below z=-160, and the ocean can get very deep, down to z=-199

more regular sea creatures are added

more wildlife is added and more hostile stuff that only spawns at night is added

more creatures are added to the nether, some of which are only found deep underground

To me what Minecraft needs is to revive the exploration factor. The most enjoyment I ever had from that game was when I got lost in a cave system and ended up finding a single rose growing on a piece of dirt way down near the lava. Just finding cool stuff like that really made my day

The problem is that the generated towns, dungeons and other structures don't really have any life to them. The generated terrain is boring. I want to be able to go off into the forest to gather seeds and end up finding something completely unique and weird.

Is it really so complex

It's a game about building with legos and yet nearly every update for the last 7 years has contained nothing that enhances building or build options

Why though? Why would anyone want to explore for loot in this game? EVERYTHING can be farmed, nothing is valuable and the only endgame is to build shit. Who gives a fuck if you found an ugly ruin in a jungle biome. Add more biomes, add more blocks, enable more autism.

Fuck's sake. The fact that the purpose of this game is so hard to grasp really gives you a perspective into game devs these days. Absolutely fucking retarded.

I've got the last beta update before hunger installed. I only play on peaceful.
The only thing I do is build cobblestone towers up to about cloud level. I get the cobblestone from a single large mine underneath where I spawned. I rarely enter natural caves, except when I break through into them when mining stone. I have a stack of diamond that I never expect to use because I feel it would be wasted just mining stone, even though I won't need it for anything else.

I don't know whether this makes me more or less autistic than the average person who plays this game.

you just like building things, it isn't autistic

Personally, I never liked any subsequent versions less for what they changed. I became sick of the game simply because it never added what I actually wanted.

If there was a version where it had a proper game structure with real progression, meaningful building, and the character inventory was bigger, then that was later removed, then I'd have a preferred version. Otherwise, as I see it, more stuff I could hardly care less about is just every so slightly better than less meaningless half-assed content, so give me the latest.

As soon as they added hell it started going downhill for me.
Minecraft was all about biulding cool shit, the less simplistic they made it the worse it got.

That guy can do whatever he likes and more power to him, I'm glad he's having fun.

But for the record, endless building for sheer building sake was the original definition of Minecraft austism. That is specifically what originally got "autism" into the Holla Forums vocabulary at all.

other than enchanting, when did it add magic?

notch never knew what he was doing

there, all of minecraft's problems perfectly explained

This is almost a dictionary definition of the obsessive-compulsive part of autism, user.

Minecraft is at its best when it's at its simplest: Building without all the extra shit.

I never felt like Minecraft had enough.

Compared to Terraria the content was very bare bones, absurdly low amount of ore tiers, low diversity of the underground, not nearly enough different types of enemies. The Nether was never really dangerous since the majority of the outside mobs were passive, the end was easy enough to circumvent. The bosses have no flavor to them and are just… there.

"Oh we have a civilization of eldritch teleporting thin men, for their boss we'll have… a dragon."

It does atmosphere okay, but the game is skeletal compared to the competition.

Still building stuff is fun in it.

This is why I think Minecraft is best when there's nothing but you and the blocks to build things. I think everything else they added is fluff at best and superfluous at worst. It didn't need subsystems because the world was always barren enough that building was its own reward.

I want more control over the villagers so I can build a civilization with those useless bastards.

Define housing by furniture in accessible rooms. Define available professions in a similar manner. Villagers turn into a professional if they have a place to be. Villagers have a home bed they sleep in, a work place to hang out at and a leisure area to spend free time/socialize. And it all can be defined by placing the right blocks into a defined area.

Doesn't have to be DF levels of intricate, but what they have right now is beyond pathetic.

that kind of a dumb reason to hate it tbh fam

I also think they went fucking lazy with the developing. I mean, I started playing in 2010, stopped around 2011 when they started adding weird shit like and the Ender, xp, hunger and such
Re-dowloaded the game this week
Nothing has changed since 2011. I would have hoped they added simple things like new ores, new biomes, mayb vehicules, fuck it's not that complicated. But yeah nothing that really matters changed in years now. And it's too bad for a gale like this that only asks to evolve and get new content.

Mods have been around for fucking years.
You niggers are beyond saving.

What's the purpose of modding when you can't even make a character crouch or fight properly.
When you can't make non-blocky models.
When you can't fix the physics and attack styles.

I'm still wondering why nobody made a GOOD sandbox exploration survival game.
But one precisely built for defeating Minecraft at its own game.

Except that mods can do all of that you dumb piece of shit.

Nigger 99% of the time in DF you're inputting commands that are either self explanatory or their use becomes exceedingly clear once you actually push the button.

How in the fuck is pushing buttons to figure shit out an anomaly?

All that mudstone bullshit just serves as an arbitrary extension to progression. It just only slightly increases the chance you spend the first night in a dirt hole in the ground instead of a block of wood or a closed off cave. Whoopee.

Also, it makes even more clutter from cutting down trees because now you have all of these free sticks raining for the sky that you don't even need as you cut down tress and the leaves decay.

I'm surprised that with as many people working on mods and stuff, that little NPC mods weren't more of a thing.

Millénaire was kind of in the right direction. They actually had resources, they had things that needed doing and tried to get them done themselves, they had populations and the would allocate places around the village to build things. It's just rather stiff in how it operates and the villagers have little individual direction and very few ways to actually interact with the environment proper.

I mean, it's certainly understandable why you would limit how they interact with things. You go tend to your farm and the next thing you know half of your shitty house has been cannibalized by nigger villagers thinking they came across a tree or something. But still.

Minecraft balance mod when?