Does Holla Forums agree with Adorno on Jazz being a bad thing? And if not, how about free jazz and avant-garde jazz?

Does Holla Forums agree with Adorno on Jazz being a bad thing? And if not, how about free jazz and avant-garde jazz?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QpxnOrmn8ZU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Adorno was butthurt the girl he liked didn't want to dance swing with him so he railed against jazz because of that
Same with the flute.

He was salt powered but not a robot.

Snobby dickhead.

jazz is pretty great which is why Jewish supremacists like adorno/hitler were against it.

I don't see what's wrong with jazz music.
Anything other Adorno didn't like?

Adorno had those views on jazz for like the first 10% of his relevant life as a philosopher. He dropped the views later on and pretty much never wrote about jazz again.

I've never read anything from the Frankfurt school. I don't think I've ever been interested enough to care. Personally, I really like jazz. I have no idea why anyone could hate it or really any music genre for that matter. It's not that big of a deal in the long run.

Has Adorno not liking jazz become that one thing about the philosopher that people who never read him are aware of? Like Nietzsche's übermensch, Freud's mum thing or Rosa Luxemburg's critique of Lenin? Because we have more threads about this than literally any other aspect of his life and work, and I also see this being discussed elsewhere by people who shouldn't be allowed to.

wasn't his critique just that Jazz became a mass produced corporate commodity? removing the revolutionary potential it had and the legitimate passion that it had

The "Jazz" Adorno railed against was the processed, commercial brand of Jazz we nowadays refer to as "Pop Standard" — not the likes of Davis or Coltrane.

Pretty much. I've never read Adorno. I just wanted an excuse to talk about Jazz

Oh even better. Whats your favorite?

Recently ive been into Charles Gayle and John Zorn. Also Sun Ra's A Fireside Chat With Lucifer. If you have any recs based on this I'm trying to get more of this great free jazz

Not this guy, but since the discussion's starting I might as well join it.

My latest crush is Toshiko Akiyoshi's 1974 album "Kogun", especially the opening track "Elegy". It perfectly blends lively big band instrumentation with intricate and creative composition techniques. It's kinda similar to the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack in a way, except it was published 20 years earlier.

Also Masahiko Togashi's 1976 "Guild for Human Music". It's definitely more unnerving and less accessible, but still it somehow manages to sound both mental and delicate at the same time. This is a kinda tough cookie so I'm often re-listening to it for the moment. An hidden gem of free jazz in my opinion.

Sun Ra is incredible. It's hard for me to not pick Super-Sonic Jazz as my favorite of his.

I look forward to checking these out! I'm always on the lookout for new jazz so if you all have any recs, please pass them on.

That was an embarrassing act of idiocy in which he misidentified Jazz.

Gotta say Jazz is by far my favorite genre to play on my saxophone

Whats wrong with jazz?

Nothing.

Jazz is among the few American things that is unique and wonderful.

Jazz in general I think is great. Free jazz is terrible.
If Adorno were talking about free jazz, I'd agree.

I've heard that Adorno distanced himself from his early criticism of Jazz and said that he was unfamiliar with american Jazz and was using european Jazz as a frame of reference.

Fucking this
I've tried explaining that to this board for ages, but noooooo

wrong pic

Why the fuck is this thread even here? And jazz promoted stupid bourgeois idiocy, just another stupid distraction like all pop culture of its era.

lol stop trying to be a cultural critic you fraud

This isn't cultural criticism, it's just fact. Now go away before the spirit of Che executes you for your shitty bourgeois music.

ouch dude

Jazz is the true worker's music and America's only art form.

meanwhile, in eastern bloc
youtube.com/watch?v=QpxnOrmn8ZU
damn, so much better than the burgeois decadence called jazz

workers didn't fucking listen to it. it was all shitty suited bourgeois who wasted their time dancing away while the real proletariat toiled to death because real workers couldn't even have the luxury to dance while they made barely enough to survive

now that's better

The workers played and listened to real jazz in their own time. The bourgeoisie listened to white jazz and dulled jazz played for them when they hired groups to play for them. The environment of having a jazz band at a ball and the environment of a jazz club or cafe are totally different.

WEW LAD
I hope you're trolling because this fucking triggerd me

You do realize that one the few fields of art within the grasp of the working class IS popular music, right? Do you believe all these people partying at techno events in '90s Detroit were bourgeois?