“Donkey Kong Country proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good...

“Donkey Kong Country proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good.” - Shigeru Miyamoto

What did he mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

1up.com/features/year-monkey?pager.offset=2
nintendolife.com/news/2010/06/turns_out_shigeru_miyamoto_does_like_donkey_kong_country
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

"I'm still assblasted that DKC outsold Yoshi's Island. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and not make another 2d Mario game for nearly 15 years."

HE
HAS
NO
ARTSTYLE

To be fair, the gameplay of the first DKC was a bit rough. (The simplistic bosses being the most straightforward example, but I'm pretty sure collision was a bit dodgy) It only became really good with 2.

Truly hilarious how he ended up making and promoting games with stale as shit or just plain bad gameplay like Sticker Star

He meant stop listening to fake quotes.

The boss in DKC are harder then the bosses in Super Mario World.

He is just Jealous

Source: OP's semen filled mouth

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Holla Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

You probably accepted his backpedal years later as gospel truth didn't you?

Or forcing gimmicks that ruin gameplay.

The writers seem to eat shit and piggyback quotes while Shiggy was assblasted

Source? Can't find any new interview on Nintendo Everything.

Nice source OP, is your tripcode a hash of that?

1up.com/features/year-monkey?pager.offset=2

Go back to reddit, faggot.

Now if only filter worked on the threads you make so I don't have to see them in the first place.

Don't ask me what he meant, was he referring to the wrong game by accident? Donkey Kong Country's art wasn't good in the least.

Pre-rendered 3D CG has always been the worst possible 2D graphics and man did I HATE Rare's old character design style. They made games that were good in other ways but their art design was the worst in all cases. Pic semi-related, but the googly eyes on everything was only part of the ugliness.

He was jealous that Rare made a better platformer, its why Yoshi's island was made.

"I hate" =/= Bad

Whether the quote is real or not, the claim is correct. Deus Ex is another example of a game with unspectacular gameplay that became a classic. What really matters is the content, the gameplay just has to be good enough to not get into the way of the player.

Yoshi's Island had the better gameplay, but it was a game about babies and the levels were really easy and boring. Donkey Kong Country was a fresh game about a gorilla set in a jungle with cool enemies, challenging levels and awesome graphics.

I wish tripfag filters would work on the catalog.

I honestly don't find gameplay which has you listening to baby screaming if you're hit good gameplay. How many people have honestly replayed Yoshi's island with nostalgia popping in "Oh hey, I remember having fun with that baby scream fetch mission gameplay"

He meant that he's a bitter faggot who can't deal with someone having better ideas than him.

Yeah I'm going to go with "Bullshit".

Could be real, could be fake. But quote taken is 3rd party saying, "My dad works at Nintendo". Also
nintendolife.com/news/2010/06/turns_out_shigeru_miyamoto_does_like_donkey_kong_country
Source links to IGN website talking to Miyamoto. It's all just a rumor. Not saying anyone should click on this one just honestly forgot which archive site we use since I just click on other archives but forget to bookmark.

Yoshi's Island is a game for toddlers. If you preferred Yoshi's Island to DKC, you were probably bullied in school and ended up being gay.

That quote has never been confirmed to have been made by Shiggy, he was involved in the development of donkey Kong Country.

it was too easy to be enjoyable, the only difficulty in it was cheap artificial cancer from the minecart

You know what? I tried looking it up last year (even found a thread discussing it) and I can't even find the source of that supposed quote.

I remember getting pretty annoyed when I heard that quote, but it seems like he never actually said it. Can someone verify this?

DKC1 is streamlined. Not a collectathon like DKC2. It's for people who want more straightforward action.

He was just butthurt that a western game developer made a character that he created 10 years earlier relevant again and he didn't. He was also jealous at the fact that he couldn't take all the credit for saving the SNES from being considered old tech.

Him and other people at Nintendo have always had an ego problem. That's why they sold Rareware. They fucked themselves over by doing that though because Rare was one the things keeping them afloat.