City Builders

Hey guys, what are some of the latest and greatest or just generally really good City Building games out there now?

Honestly, I am hard pressed to find anything as good as Sim City 4 but I do want to branch out.

Although, perhaps Sim City 4 has longevity through mods? If so, which ones? I know there was a fix for the sim's pathing but maybe some region packs or something might be cool?

I don't know, open to anything where you build a city or a town or something.

Other urls found in this thread:

moddb.com/games/voxel-turf
steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=524840544
steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=619942937
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=667064518
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689937287
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

(checked)

Tried Banished? It's a village sim, not a city builder, but I think it's similar enough to be interesting if you like the genre.

It really depends on what kind of city you want to build but you really can't go wrong with Sim City 4 and I hear really nice things about Cities: Skylines. That being said there's a ton of variety in city builders.
Want a more futuristic setting?
Anno 2070. Avoid 2205, I barely even play city builders and I could see how dumbed down it is.
Want something smaller and less modern?
Banished. It's tough but comfy as hell once you get the hang of it
Want to be called El Presidente and listen to spicy tango music?
My personal favorite, Tropico 3.

Only problem I have with City Builders is once you build everything there's kinda not much of a point. Even if your goal is to make the whole map into a metropolis, once you've done it and built every item in the game, it kinda becomes pointless

Banished is absolutely fantastic and has a great dev.

Not sure if its what the Op wants as the game is more about survival but getting a nice trading town (600-1000 pop) set up is pretty comfy.

I fucking love Banished.

If you play it, there is no reason or excuse not to install the Colonial Charter mod. It adds a fuckton of both depth and width to the game. The problem with vanilla is that it lacks content.

simcity 4 is the best, i've been thinking of going back to it but the mods are a pain in the ass because there's so many dependencies and dependencies on dependencies.

Don't forget the modding community that gets mad if you try to put up mod compilations so you don't have to search for dependencies.

For OP, one of the more popular newer city building games is Cities Skylines. It plays like a game that does pretty much everything nuSimCity tried to do, but correctly out of spite (even going so far as to use a similar UI).

Cities: Skylines is pretty good, although mods are essentially necessary if you want to make the most out of it. It's not as deep as SC4 in regards to actual city management, though. There's only two densities (high and low), wealth levels are nonexistent with linear "level" system in their place, max zonable building footprint is 4x4 cells (roughly akin to 2x2 in SC4), tourism is useless and balance is quite lax (you can have a city with zero industry, for example). It has some rad shit, though: it's visually astounding (especially at night), has shittons of great mods, easy to use mod tools, cool water mechanics and fun traffic management (if you can get around the retarded AI, that is).
I'd say that it's not quite at SC4 level, but it's pretty close. There was some talk of a huge mod restructuring gameplay and balance to be more akin to SC4 (larger zoning grid, more density levels, wealth system, etc.), but AFAIK nothing concrete got out of it by now.
Meanwhile, dumping some screenies of my most recent city.

Speaking of SC4 mods, there's the famous Network Addon Mod which adds fuckhuge amounts of network-related stuff (modular highways, elevated rail, elevated roads, High Speed Rail, underpasses, pedestrian roads, train and bus stations for days, etc.) and somewhat unfucks pathfinding AI. There's SimPeg mods (Mountain Theme Pack, SimPeg Agricultural Mod, metric shitton of growables and MMPs), Colossus Addon Mod (rebalance for super-high density metropolises and quite a bitch to install custom buildings for), and over a decade worth of BATs, lots and MMPs.
No screenies for that, unfortunately, so have something from my fap folder.
Sage for doubleposting.

i used to make a lot of stuff for it back in the day, doesn't surprise me a lot those cunts took everything too seriously

Bump

Are there any that are more fantasy or sci-fi oriented?

Like, I kind of used to love Zues, Master of olympus.

Oh, I guess SimCity 2000 was pretty neat when you could get those Arcologies.

I mean, half the fun of a game is that it doesn't have to be super true to life.

Other than the mentioned Anno

Well, you can build for efficiency or you can build for aesthetics or try to balance both. What I liked about the Sim City games, and I suppose 4 has this in more abundance, is that when you meet certain milestones you get rewards (in the form of things to build) so that could keep you going.
And there's always the struggle to try to raise the value of your areas.

Here's something I found sometime ago, wanted to share with you faggots:
moddb.com/games/voxel-turf
Voxel Turf. They're pretty much trying to combine primitive Sim City city management with Minecraft voxely worlds and GTA driving and shooting. Yeah it's not very advanced on builder front, and I'm sure many of you are sick of autismblocks, but for me, I am really excited for this as I always wanted the ability to build a city and then have it wrecked all on my own, taking down cops and blowing the shit up.

Banished is super comfy and someway manages to feel relaxing even when your village is slowly dying, but it kinda lacks in content, once you're done with it

Pic unrelated, just some interesting pics from older Cities Skylines threads.

The absolute madmen.

Any kinds of mod setups you could recommend, user?

Oh, that's neat. As a kid I'd always dream about that kind of concept (and always get really hung up over how Streets of Sim City turned out to be shit), so cool to see it brought about.

You can get quite futuristic city with mods in Cities Skylines.
steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=524840544
steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=619942937
For starters but there is actually quite a shit-tone of sci-fi buildings.

In terms of fantasy city builders there aren't any I know, which is a shame because the concept is quite fun.
There are only partial city builders like Dwarf Fortress or Gnomoria. Towns was literally fantasy town management game but this shit is abandoned early access project. Fuck you all I wanted it finished.
Closest one would be Valhalla Hills but it is PvE Settlers and not city builder, so I would imagine management elements are bit lacking in this one.

There are Banished and Anno 1404 in terms of medieval ones. Medieval is far from fantasy but it is much closer to city builder at the same time. There is also Stronghold series if you ever wanted PvP.
And of course there is guy who turns Cities Skylines into medieval game:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=667064518

Sure. I'd say Loading Screen Mod, Network Extensions, Network Skins, NoPillars, elevated train tracks, Building Themes, Fine Road Tool, Sharp Junction Angles, Quay Anarchy, Rush Hour and music replacer with SimCity 4 soundtrack.
Generally I'd recommend just to look through most popular mods in Workshop and pick those you like.

Oh yeah if you want even more EA bullshit there is "Stonehearth", "Timber and Stone" and "Rimworld".
People are actually making fantasy/sci-fi management games but I am quite sceptic towards how many of them will be ever finished.

Cities Skylines looks so life-less, I don't get how anyone can say it's even close to the level of SC4

What do you mean?

Another bump.

Is Tropico 5 worth picking up when they release the Gold edition.

When I was a kid, I played RTS like a city builder. I loved games with sandboxes for that reason. It's a shame the sandbox genre is so undeveloped.

Yes, it's worth it, it has quite some content and a whole load of DLCs each adding new mission and structures/other goodies. Of course, it's not cardinally different from older games, despite featuring multiple time periods and all that.

What do you guys think of Reus?

I played it for a bit and then realised this is not getting anywhere and dropped it.
I feel like I could get a bit more into all these synergies but simply I knew it will get me neither the god game or management game I want.

I am still waiting for next Black and White.

Sage wasn't intentional.
Banished bump.

I like Tropico 3 and 4, but one thing that ruins it, is you can't really role play and you can't fail. I had the island full of shacks, but because I had a lot of military bases, the housing happiness was 50%. Also had martial law, I went full commie, had one type and source of food and a lot of people died but food was satisfactory. I wish the game was more challenging and you could role play more. Here's my shit city, I can't into aesthetic cities.

ok guys, here's a question. How would you try to remake something akin to Motherbase in Sim City 4?

I'm thinking you start with an all ocean map. Raise up a plateau to be a "platform" and build only on that.
But do we go with super large regions or a bunch of tiny regions for one platform each?

yeah on second thought, this doesn't seem at all sustainable or buildable.

The cities look so bland, there's no color or texture to them. It looks like someone washed the game through an eternal grey filter. With SC4 your cities actually looked and felt like real cities

I tried out the Android version of Transport Tycoon that had actual involvement fron Chris Sawyer. It plays more like Locomotion than anything but it's fun.

I wish that there was something like Streets of Simcity or Simcopter for this game

It's totally sustainable, fagbait.

In fact, I'm gonna try making a city like that, hold on. I'll report back in a few hours.

Reus is quite the gem for me. Although it is straight up resource management than city building, but it's pretty fun.

I added snow mods for a cozy feel.

Remminder that they sell plugin packs DVDs and that's why we dont see oldshoes pluging pack anymore

l-lewd

Haven't they been selling those piles of shit since 2010?

Meanwhile BloodyPenguin releases surface painter mod for Cities: Skylines.
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689937287

bumpan with OTTD aesthetics

OTTD is the shit.

yeah, like 10 gigs of crap each

that's why I loved the old sim city games where you could make a city and then cruise around in it with Streets of Sim City.

what are you, a tauren?

dat second picture.

Does anyone have the images of the City: Skylines city where some user made a city and flooded it with sewage?

There are plenty of these around. Shit-powered cities were all the rage back when the game just released. Now that we have in-game terraforming this concept got a second wind.

What about trading / economy games?

I've been playing Patrician and Port Royale last few weeks and Anno 1404 earlier this year. I was hyped for Offworld Trading Company, but that looks really casual. Need some other suggestions. People keep recommending The Guild 2, how good is it?

Skylines isn't going for realism, but rather it tries to imitate the look and feel of miniature model cities.

Oh man, I've got to play this again

A what?

it looks like a tauren city

Recommend me some Tycoon/Simulation/Building games I can run on my toaster. I have two weeks to kill on this toaster.

ok…
I was trying to approximate motherbase.

OpenTTD

I would like skylines better if they would FIX THEIR FUCKING TRAFFIC PROBLEMS HOLY SHIT! Like for what goddamn reason do all the fucking people take the same road because it's distance is shorter? This makes fixing traffic problems impossible because even if you make the road system better THEY WON'T FUCKING USE IT!

that works too

get the enhanced AI mod

Some madman made the Plymouth Arcology in Cities Skylines, none of the others are there though.

Are there any good ones that let you make opulent fantasy cities?

Like golden statues and gemstones on the buildings.

Cities Skylines is good but you'll need a good few hours to learn the traffic system which sucks

Banished is a village type deal where the construction is more RTS styled.

I'd also recommend Theo Town. It's a free city builder. It gets a lot of updates and you can play it on android too.

That's a little small for an arcology don't you think?

Second this. Neat little game, reminds me of SC 2000 heavily.

It's available as Deluxe Edition upgrade pack. Not that it's worth it, though.

The closest thing you'll get for Cities: Skylines is the First Person Mod. You can click on people or vehicles and enter into first person view as they navigate through your city. You can't control them which kind of sucks, but it's probably the closest thing you'll get.

Everytime I try to play these games I get too intimidated by the blank canvas a new map and I can never decide where I want to build anything. It doesn't help that I tend to be a tree hugger in these games and I'm always self-conscious about pollution, especially in Cities: Skylines.

The best I've managed is a few affluent little towns and maybe one or two mid-sized cities.by then I run into problems with traffic and a mass transit system nobody uses.

I feel like there's something about city building games I don't get.

OperateIt actually allows you to drive around vehicles.
There is Flight Cimulator if you want to fly an airplane around instead.

If a game requires mods to be playable, it's not worth playing in the first place.

you can if your dictatorial avatar dies, your palace gets destroyed, or piss off the US(SR) enough to invade your island.

if anyone lurking is thinking about getting tropico 4, don't get modern times, it turns the game into BadlyModdedEZMode.

See, you don't need to worry about it too much.
Honestly, this is why SimCity 4 is so good. (this is a custom map I started working with).
With SimCity 4 you can start a city, kind of start some groundwork with what you want and then run over to another region to sort of refine what you want.
You can design per region or try to make it all unified in some grand idea of design.

But in general, my thoughts on it is to not worry. You can always remodel your city. By that, I mean you can always destroy shit and rebuild over it. You want to make a new highway network? Then fucking do it.

Really, in the beginning just worry about getting the basics down to a point where you can start turning back a profit from your citizens and then just sprawl out from there.
Part of building these cities is going back and tweaking your original areas. Making your stats better in terms of polution, crime, land value, education, whatever the hell…is really just all refinement and not something you should worry about at the outset.

Its a sandbox and even the greatest sandcastles start out as just barely discriminate piles of sand.

Question! Doesn't increasing your land value to higher base values make citizens bitch about no low-income housing?

I've never really had that problem.
But why would you care about that anyway? In Sim City 4 you can get just a bit more taxes from your high income people anyway.

Sometimes I tax the poor out of a city. Fuck em.

If food requires salt, it isn't worth eating in the first place

Here is a question, how do you all view games that are city builders/god games that may require combat/missions like Black & White?

I never really enjoyed black & white's combat, except for the giant monster.

This is why I developed a method for creating cities organically. I've toyed with the idea of making a full-blown tutorial for this, but the first part at least is very simple.

First, drag a single rail line across the entire map at an angle. Rails are always very, very straight. Next, draw out a curvy, windy, lazy road from one side of the map to another. Finally, draw a second similar road so it crosses the first road somewhere reasonably close to the rail line. This is where your first city will begin.

The crossroads will be your downtown. The road crossing the rail will be where the industry goes (heavy and dirty industry is best located by a rail so they can ship out their goods). Housing goes sorta around the downtown. Farms fill in a CRAPLOAD of space around the houses and along the road (but not too close to the industry). If you want a realistic rural area, get used to having bunches of farms. Don't worry; most of these farms will get redeveloped later.

I've never been the type to make huge fucking cities, anyway, especially in SC4 where the variety of small- and medium-density buildings is just too much fun. Skyscraper forests bore me. I prefer suburbs that sprawl freaking everywhere like in real life. The irony of this is that it actually creates worse traffic problems, which is fine; at this stage, I enjoy a challenge.