Yes, this was a good game.

What about it.

Better than 3, not as good as 1.

Best opinion.

Luminoth dicks

Metroid Prime games are shit
Get off your nostalgia horse you fucking fags

Improve your taste

Longest, hardest, most bosses and best bosses. It's the best game of the series.

And it has sanctuary fortress

I never had a problem with the supposed heavy backtracking of Echoes. Maybe is it because I have played the prime trilogy so many times I can go through each game getting every item as soon as possible. Yes I remember the dark keys can't be fetched earlier like the chozo artifacts, but they aren't really that difficult to get at that point in the game

(checked)

mydick.jpg

Prime 2 really feels like a game that should be played immediately after beating the first one. if you legitimately bumbled around with the first one and waited 2 years to play the second one then yeah it's going to be relatively confusing.

MP2 had the best difficulty of the entire franchise. This game gave no fucks about making you die like a bitch often

Did some things right and some things wrong

Sanctuary Fortress and Dark Samus were really cool, but the dark world was boring as fuck, and getting new translation modules wasn't exciting.

The difficulty was on point though. 1 was better, haven't played 3

motion controls>regular controls

For these games absolutely, the GCN controls were clunky as hell.
Should I dump my Metroid folder?

dump away

Its the best of bunch by a small margin. It had better bossfights and a more memorable story, besides this they tried something new with the progression. What I liked the most was design of the game world.

Yes. Slowly so people can discuss the game.

I personally liked it over 1. Echoes had the better bosses and the better weapons.
Then they nerfed the difficulty for the wii release.

they made normal difficulty easier in the trilogy now veteran is normal and hypermode is hard. Boost guardian was nerfed too

gotcha
(checked)
I'm fairly certain that they only nerfed the spider and boost ball guardians, which were the worst bosses anyway. It just seems easier because aiming is so much easier.

I liked boost the most actually.

Nope, best console shooters every made alongside doom 64 and timesplitters.

Arguably the only good console shooters really. Halo is shit and goldeneye sucked the shit out of my grandmothers ass

Really? I found that once you figured out how to beat them it was really boring, especially for the spider guardian.

>best

It's like you learned nothing from the first game. First thing I did when I got to an area was look for places where they'd hide fucking keys, and lo and behold, as soon as I got dark visor I was finding them all over the place. You can get over half of them before endgame.

That still doesn't change the fact that you have to get them, and you have to get three for each area because simply finding the boss apparently wasn't good enough anymore. None of the 2D games had a key search, why should the 3D ones?

I'm pretty sure the reasoning Retro gave was that in all the previous games you'd get the endgame weapons and barely be able to use them, the game ended almost right after that. They wanted the player to have the opportunity to use shit like the plasma beam or the annihilator beam. I personally don't mind the key searches at all, and liked that some of them had huge areas dedicated to them.

Those inflated protrusions on the moth are just pheromone sniffers not dicks.

(I was about to post this when you just posted before me).

I swear that Retro's reason for this was to extend the amount of playtime that the player had for their final weapon/suit upgrade before the final boss.

Basically more to run around the world with a kickass final upgrade instead of just going straight to the final boss and having less time for the player to enjoy the upgrade.

The point you made about the 2D games, is true. In that instance you could basically go around and collect more missile/bomb/energy tank expansions/etc before the final boss or just go straight to the final boss. While this is also possible in the 3D games, they threw in the (remaining) key search on top of it.

You're not wrong, but most players won't go for the 100% or even look for more items at the endgame, which is probably the group they did that for. Of course, the key hunts probably ended up making a ton of people not finish the game at all.
Prime 1's wasn't as much of a problem because you were aware of it the whole time, but Prime 2's was held from you until the end (probably so you wouldn't get it confused with the other temple keys"). It is fairly lazy, but it doesn't bother me personally. I also really like the endgame gear in Prime 2 a lot, so there's that.

One of the best songs in the series (too long to webm properly, sorry)

The title screen is what really sold me on the game

heres metroid :::DD

What about Perfect Dark?

they're first person puzzle games retard

Considering you have to shoot magnitudes more times in Metroid Prime than the seminal FPS Doom, I'm going to call them first person shooters. And they aren't even that puzzle-y.

That's it for me

Did Nintendo start going to shit when Sega dropped out of consoles?

MFW I loaned my original hardcopy of Trilogy to a friend and he lost it.

How?

Meh. The Wii versions of 1 and 2 are inferior and 3 sucks.

What's the meaning of this post? Answer me?.

Period.

"Went missing". He thinks his brother took it with him when he went to a friend's place out of town.

I felt like shit. Seriously i just felt heavy that i destroyed his game, i didn't even mean to do it either

Yeah I did that to my brother's copy of Tekken Tag Tournament. I bought him a new one as soon as I could.

My friend said he'll replace it if he can't find it so I'm not too mad but he's always been reliable with this shit before and before the VC release Trilogy was quite rare is still a collector's item.

If you move a console while the disk is spinning that generally leads to the disk getting fucked

Honestly. Just replayed the games, 1 aged like shit. 2 was never really good.

3 > 1 > 2

There is no non-linearity in 1. The game always tells you where to go and even beeps like Navi in OoT after some time. And if you decide to go a different way on purpose, you will face a dead end sooner or later and have to backtrack all that boring shit way again. The whole puzzle-solving and item unlocking concept doesn't work with non-linearity.

3 largely ruined the atmosphere by including characters that talk to you every so often throughout the game and by breaking up the world into separate planets. You no longer felt alone on a strange, alien planet. The upgrades largely sucked, too.

what's inferior about 1 & 2 on Wii?

Most damning I think is that they made the boss fights in 2 easier. Beyond that 1 is missing most of the glitches that make sequence breaking possible, so there isn't as much replay value.

The good times are gone now, but at least we had fun while the revival lasted.

They don't have all the graphical effects. They're probably also the updated versions that remove a lot of possible sequence breaking.

Feels bad man

Man, I found my old controller pak in my parents' garage last year, and loaded up Perfect Dark. I had no joke two hundred and sixteen DAYS of playtime on my combat simulator profile.

Why does Nintendo suck so much cock?

Metroid Prime 2 is actually on my to play list this year. Looking forward to it because I hear its fairly challenging and is a bit darker than the first game, and Dark Samus seems pretty bad ass.

didn't know Holla Forums has blank threads here as well

First Person, Adventure (FPA), retards. not FPS.

please use archive.ism/articles/2001/02/24/metroid-a-first-person-adventure

for the post above:
archive.is/QAG9N

anybody else praying Takahashi will come in, slap Sakamoto's and Tanabe's shit, and finally redeem themselves with the Metroid styles in the future?

also daily reminder to stupid secondarycucks with Zero Suit and Ass Autist with their "ZSS is taking over Metroid!" meme.

literally one of the only things Sakamoto had common sense about.

still mad all the intentions Sakamoto tried to do with Other M ended up all shit

if you're going to make the "Ultimate Metroid" game and want to bring together both styles into one big game. you're gonna have to bring Kano (sole creator of Samus), anybody who did Super Metroid, Miyamoto, and Tanabe+Retro Studios into this.

letting devs who have no idea on doing a Metroid style outside 3rd person combat (Team Ninja) and while having zero idea do to a 3D game (yours truly) was a huge fucking mistake for Other M

one more thing

made this due to a extremely autistic shitposter at 4/v/ who thinks purism will keep everyone together and the Metroid series as a franchise.

if you see a idiotic nintendo shill saying "2D Metroid's coming! Stop whining and wait!" just post this image, they just want fans to waste their money over claims and hopes again like with the WiiU again.

the other image for any fag who tries to defend Other M, user scores tends to tell the truth than scrub reviewers.

i'm too making another image so people can keep track on if another Prime/2D/Brand New Metroid is coming. i use to be the guy at 2014-2015 4chan who keeps posting the reminder list on "good" and peaceful Metroid threads, now i'm hiding under guise as another Metroid person or two. also an ex-Smashfag, only wanted Ridley and Dark Samus in 4 due to having the idea of Smash helping franchises to grow nicely. after the hype, learning how Melee didn't help F-Zero GX an inch, and how smash fans act towards games like F-Zero and Fire Emblem with all the secondary idiots around, i've decided to go on a revolt on the Smash fandom. never ever will i fall for another Smash hype again.

and please avoid this thread, it's full of cancer

8ch.net/v/res/9387589.html

huh

Good work I guess?

I don't understand why this is a bad thing. I can partly understand the flow aspect but the NPC discussions were easily skippable and easy to ignore while I actually found the separate planets fun

Essentially your biggest flaw here is that it didn't follow the traditional formula and tried something a bit different and expansive. If you want to feel alone on a planet you can play just about every other Metroid game. I don't know why that it's a staple requirement to be stranded on a planet in order for a metroid game to be good.

The upgrades weren't to great though. Which I wasn't to hurt from because I found the Phazon mode fun and they were continuing from the past 2 games and any more shit would have been pretty confusing considering how many abilities you had from the get go.

I still find 2 to be the best in the series but 3 had the best atmosphere and settings hands down. Skytown is the best looking place in the franchise.

I love skytown I think sanctuary fortress is still better though

Other M is shit but you're retarded.
If you care so much about what some guy on halfchan says, why don't you just stay there?

Part of what made Metroid so memorable was the feeling of being isolated on a hostile world. It's where a lot of the Alien inspiration comes in. You were largely alone, fighting for your own survival. Even when you had Adam giving you instructions all the time in Fusion, you didn't have his help in any practical manner, and you often were thrown into situations that he didn't account for. 3, however, gave you the feeling that A: you had the support of the federation backing you, and B: you could flee the planet to safety any time you wanted. There was a lot less sense of oppressing danger, which is something the other Metroids generally had much of.

You're still alone 90% the time. Why would I want another game that's exactly the same shit? I welcome some changes. The whole beginning of 3 was pretty cool.

I felt more isolated in that sky town than any time in the other Prime games.

With the Aurora Unit and all the maintenance robots there, I felt a lot less isolated than in Bryyo or the Pirate homeworld (until the Feds began their invasion).

It's not about having exactly the same shit, it's about caring a consistent theme across a series. It's like having a Castlevania that lacks any of the classic horror inspiration. It betrays what people enjoy in the series for no good reason other than to do something "different."

And this is late, but
There's non-linearity in the order and times you grab the artifacts, among other things. Besides, "non-linearity" in video games is a relative thing, as you can't completely escape linearity without having a total sandbox like garrysmod. Also, Prime 3's major flaw with progression wasn't linearity, but how organic it was. It Prime 1, every time you went to a new place, it was because you got an ability that let you go there, or you opened up some place by solving a puzzle. In 3, especially with the separate planets, you often go to new places because you saw the story trigger that made Dane order you to go to a new place.

The Federation was busy fighting a real time war with the Pirate Phazon threat. The "support" you had was largely minor considering you were tasked with a special mission independent of that support. For the most part you were entirely on your own in enemy territory.

You could do the same in 1 if I'm not wrong. Your job revoked you of that though. The only thing that may of inhibited that was the fact that you lost most of your abilities. In 3 your incentive to somehow purge the phazon from your body is your best motivator. You're in more danger than ever.

Again I don't get this requirement that every Metroid game has to have the same predicmant and motivation. 3 tried something different and I respect that for it. Had it been another game that left you stranded on an alien planet I don't think it would have had as many original ideas. It also wouldn't have had the special boss fights that require you to kill some of your old merc friends. Though to be fair you didn't get to know them that well it did a good job to emphasize just how terrible phazon was

Thats the thing though, it was only a bit different and not actually expansive. The different planets were basically the same as the seperate areas from Prime 1+2 but less interconnected and with a cutscene inbetween them.

The cutscenes and NPCs definetly didn't add anything to the game, especially if you do skip them.

They basically traded level design and the series staple atmosphere for marketing bullet points.

Thanks for the dump user, got quite a few new wallpapers

I would say you're not entirely wrong but I also feel like this is a preferential issue.

The trade off for less inter connectivity for being able to pilot your own ship to travel between planets felt fine. And having an area such as Skytown would have been impossible to pair with the USS Valhalla.

They didn't take anything away either and I liked them. I mean if you consider that they were usually short and easy to skip. They were also extremely far apart. A game having a cutscene every 5 or so hours of gameplay isn't that bad. Especially if they're short and entertaining.

If you say so. The game did something different though and I respect it for that. Being alone on a planet has been the staple of every metroid game and while it works well it would have been forced if yet again Samus managed to find herself stranded alone on a planet. This is what kills franchises by reusing the same formulas over and over again. the Prime trilogy managed to break it by adding on to the last game and widening the scope of the universe and gameplay with each one.

But you don't pilot it. You click a point on a map. It's just a multiple-choice zone-change elevator.

No, it wouldn't have. This is a crazy sci-fi universe. Have an escaped boarding shuttle from the Valhalla on the planet that you can take back to it. Stick the Valhalla in a deep chasm or something, instead. There's all sorts of ways to make it work. Hell, imagine going to Skytown and being able to see areas you had been exploring on the surface below you.

Why? Difference in itself is neither something to admire or something to criticize. It just is. Praising something just because it's different from its contemporaries just seems silly.

How? Samus's job is basically going on solo missions to do the dangerous shit no one else can. It's like saying Link having to save whatever kingdom he's in from peril is forced, or that Fox having to lead a squad of starfighter pilots against a large enemy force is forced.

What also kills it is changing core elements that define the series to the majority of fans. Experimentation should be left to the spin-offs to try it first before sticking in the the main game, if not just being kept to spin-offs in the first place.

Yea and I liked it. So what? From a mechanical point all this does is spit up the maps to have more focused level design. And the maps in each world got pretty fucking big with separate areas of their own.

Doesn't that just essentially do the same thing you were complaining about by splitting up the map?

Stick the Valhalla in a deep chasm or something, instead
Didn't they already do that in 1 and submerge the whole thing underwater? I guess it would work but again I don't find it to be a step backwards.

Yes it is. If you put out the same game over and over again people will catch on and start to resent it. You need to make progression in a franchise to keep it fresh.

Samus is a Bounty Hunter. Her "job" is open and up to a bunch of possibilities that are never explored because the franchise reuses the same scenario over and over. There's no reason the franchise should choose stagnation over trying alternative methods.

The fans are what kill franchises you dongus. They push samey expectations and make it so every sequel to the game is almost exactly like it's earlier ones because of popular demand. Pokemon is the exact definition of giving fans what they want. This is part of the reason Nintendo has gone to shit because they just push rehashes out every few years because they know the fans will buy them.

That's some of the weirdest logic I've heard in a while. Not only is that impractical for so many reasons it's just the same issue in a different light. If you make a game with the intent of pushing the mechanics and ideas to the sequel then you're still making the same game over again.

No, because it will still feel like part of a single, whole map instead of the split up thing in 3. Even if it didn't, it would still be one small bonus area compared to the map being split into five separate mini-maps.

No it isn't. Change that ends up making the game better is admirable. Change for change's sake isn't. Change itself isn't inherently good or bad; it depends on the context and overall result of the change.

What you don't seem to get is that games, especially entire series, have an identity that makes them what they are. There are ways you can change the games that don't ruin the identity, and there are ways that do. Of course games in a series should continually try to improve themselves, but they shouldn't do it in a way that compromises what drew people into the games in the first place, or they might as well make it a different series altogether. There are things that make Metroid, Metroid. Exploration, new abilities that progressively open up the map, isolation, story told through the environment and small moments within gameplay, hostile world, etc. When you try to change those things up, you get Fusion, which bogged down the gameplay with all the forced Adam conversations, or even worse, Other M.

Even then, Fusion changed other things up in a significant way that didn't compromise the series' identity. For instance, the environment was entirely a space station, all the enemies were goo blobs morphed into other creatures, and you had the definite threat of a badder you stalking the station. These didn't change the feeling of isolation or hostility of your environment. Even Prime 2 managed to keep the isolated atmosphere despite having a character that spoke to Samus, because they were careful in the way they did it.

You want to keep things fresh? Make the next game take place in an almost entirely dark, subterranean world. Have the mechanics and most of the upgrades deal with manipulating light in some form or another.

Want to make an game that's very different from the rest and explores Samus's activities as a regular bounty hunter? Make an entirely new thing called Metroid: Bounty Hunter. If it's good and does well, then it can become its own series separate from mainline Metroid.

An identity and a a shift in direction are different things. Being alone on a stranded planet isn't an identity, it's a premise that the franchise has been using for years now and it's getting stale. There's plenty of other unique things that could be done that didn't rely on a used method to get it done while staying true to the franchises basic formula of gameplay. Developers shouldn't strive to make familiar games they should make something that changes the formula to invite a creative approach to an established universe.

That's a case of shitty direction and over emphasized story telling. But I'de rather have Fusion or Other M than 6 more games where absolutely nothing changed from the predecessors. At the very least there was an attempt at trying to take the franchise in a different direction. It fucked up because of producer control and creative stifling. If you're going to preach that change isn't inherently bad or good then you can't say that the changes made to Other M weren't just a prduct of poor direction.

Fair enough, though it's not that specific

Still pretty vague as far as gameplay goes.

Which isn't necessary towards the series to be good. I doubt you're going to alienate fans by having a few NPC's or people around.

You're just describing show don't tell. Metroid isn't peculiar in this area.

Again not really something that would alienate fans to badly if done well.

I think the base point I'm trying to make here is that lets assume Metroid at the very least 6 very solid and well accepted games that deal with every one of those things almost entirely the same to one another. I'm shrinking that number but lets just assume.
At this point the spectacle and unique charm of this method of gameplay has been pretty well established. People who have played the prior games aren't getting anything of value out of the same game. At what point does it become less about enjoying something new for the first time in a pre-existing universe an more about just trying on the same pair of shoes but a little bit different. This is exactly the kind of trap CoD fans fell in to.

In any case I usually don't think franchises should go past 3 or 4 games anyway as the allure to what made them special is lost if they just rehash shit. But Metroid sort of managed to renew it with the Prime games by simply adding on to each of them and then changing the 3rd one much more drastically. That and being in a 3D universe helped.

It was the same exact premise except you were on a space station an there were run away segments. Everything else was essentially a reskin of an established mechanic that only added or changed things on a surface level. That and it was much more linear and easy to traverse but that's another problem all together.

So Prime 2's dark world essentially? Just instead of not being able to see you took damage?

Light manipulation isn't a bad idea, especially if the upgrades or more geared towards light but it's still the same basic premise. That and darkness mechanics get frustrating and unfair after a while, especially on later playthroughs.

Considering how almost every game has had a different non linear name I doubt you could call that a spinoff. In any case Metroid doesn't have a "mainline" function of release. If they released a game that dealt with her job then people would either assume that it was just another metroid game.

no, it's just one of the proofs Other M is depreciated to most fans.

elves are shit

No problem, I just wish I didn't lose the rest of my collection to my hard-drive shitting itself.