ITT: Hipster Graphics Whoring

Remember when graphics felt crisp and clear instead of muddled and messy? When everything was simple, but beautiful?

Why did we ever abandon low polygon count and cubic skyboxes? Can we ever go back?

Things looked so much better without as much detail. Now we can't see the forest for the trees.

Disable Chromatic Aberration, Depth of Field and Motion Blur.

Congrats, you have nice clean crisp visuals.

But it's not the same. You can't disable beveled edges and a high poly count.

Or high def lighting/shading, either.

First thing i do

low level shading looks like ass, but you can lower ambient occlusion without much loss and actually some textures look better

But those are good things you shouldn't want to disable.

That would be like wanting to downgrade the beautiful spriting in diablo 2 to match modern indie pixelshit.

Can't you, just, I don't know, mess with tessellation settings to lower the polycount?

I've always wondered why indiefags always hyped pixelshit but we never had a low poly boom or anything.

Or maybe a decent pixelart game

Not at all. Diablo is a different beast than full-3d games.

I can't get my mind out of reinstalling bloody 2001 Deus Ex.
The graphics are part of the charm.
Pretty, clean and functional graphics.
Aiming works as intended.
Every pixel counts.

Can't you decrease texture resolution like that on pretty much every 3D game?

There's an absolutely shit looking low poly and low pixel indie survival horror game made by a bunch of gooks. They want to replicate PS1 horror games such as Silent Hill. Looks more like a GBA game.

Low poly is alright, but keep it around 600-1000 for man sized objects, and put some effort on the textures.

But higher polycount, realistic lighting and good shading don't hurt games. They're frequently used in conjunction with shitty art, but that's not the fault of the effects, just the shitty artists.

Because good low poly requires great texture work and a cohesive aesthetic, and it's far easier (and cheaper) to just shit out mediocre/bad pixel art.

A recent example of decent low-poly would be Strafe, but as far as I know that's dead in the water.

Low poly 3D is much harder than pixelshit
Hipster cucks make games to push their narrative, little else matters. So it's not worth it for them to learn to model in 3D when "retro" sprites work as the bare minimum.

no

LOL GUISE WEED

I hope that VR will finally help the industry to get away from photo realism, and back to realism and clear visuals.

Dude

Still waiting for 16-bit to come back. Every 'retro' themed game likes to think any-bit = 2600 graphics.

weed

More detail means more noise unfortunately.

Devs need to go back to school on their color theory though. Brown should be a color, not a palette.

Any resources for color theory?

I've been wanting to break into color now but everything I read just flies over my head. I need to get into the right mindset.

I'm pretty sure we did.

While you can blame various technologies the primary factor is the care taken in designing everything.
Back when games were made by companies run by gamers they really cared about the product and tried their hardest to make it look good. This can still be done today with modern technologies but very few studios bother as they are run by marketers.

Banished is a good example of a game made by a gamer and it's very comfy.