ULTRA LOW SETTINGS THREAD

Can we have one of these?

Other urls found in this thread:

cloud.github.com/downloads/mkr3142/QuakeFlash/QuakeFlash.swf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

tfw I had to play with an integrated GeForce 4 until late 2012

You best be bullshitting man, being poor can't be an excuse for that because you could've "upgraded" for almost nothing

forgot my pic, who knew Rockstar ported GTA V to the PS2?

Well, I to be honest I wasn't playing a lot of vidya apart from WoW where I went through raids at sub 5 fps.

Considering they also ported Half Life 2 to the N64..

Googs sure know how to optimize shiet.

Obligatory

Really though, is there any excuse to play anything in ultra-low in this day and age? Scale of economics and all that means the price of hardware is going down while development of graphics is starting to slow down so you can get a relatively cheap rig and be able to play the newest games on medium at least for maybe the next 10 years or more

Muh fps in multiplayer games

Some esports fags still play on low details to get the most fps imaginable

I play 1.6 on 800x600.

In FPS' you put yourself at a slight disadvantage if you can't set the FOV to at least 90

This makes me sad. Only because when oblivion first came out I played it at a friends house and got really fucking into it. Only to buy it for PC and install Oldblivion so I could run it at 5 frames a second, when the whole time I could have just installed fucking morrowind and not only have it run better but have had a much better experience all together.

I can play TF2 at high settings and get a good 30fps on pic related, 60 or more on lower settings

This is a Tablet that only cost me 100 dollars and doesn't even need a fan to cool

Its like what I've been saying man, this is the future, 5 years ago I could never imagine something like this being so dirt cheap

The worst thing is that in some games, at lowest settings, shit like smoke and grass are not present, giving a net advantage to third world subhumans and overly play2win faggots.

Didn't CS suffer from this problem before Valve did something or some shit?

I'm talking back when these games first came out, nearly 10 years ago.

This is what really handicapped DayZ mod back in the day. That, and the fact people could ramp up their brightness and gamma settings so they could see in the dark.

I don't know what's stranger, the fact TF2 was released almost a decade ago or the fact its been out for about 9 years, about as long as it took to develop in the first place

Or that they took that long to carefully plan everything, then decided fuck all that time wasted lets just release patches every other month.

There's plenty of pre-release prototype shit laying around so its safe to say it was being developed one way or another for all those years

I just can't believe they threw it all away.

Fucking rad, I used to have a shitty computer years ago and seeing these pictures brings back a whiff of foul nostalgia.

Dude TF2 was a cunt of a game to get running. You could make the thing look like it came from the PS1 era and still get a frame or two difference.

I remember the biggest one was dxlevel 8, but I broke it somehow to the point where character models where full bright or almost pitch black.

I have no clue how I fucking beared to play like that. Although I did main the spy so if I could time shit I guess it wouldn't be much of a problem shanking foos.

Im glad Im not the only one who knows his terminology.

Obligatory video

Really, it's the lack of shadows on the ground that bothers me most of all in the low settings versions. It looks so wrong to me when objects don't at least cast a generic round cartoon shadow directly below themselves.

Don't worry I'll have more triggering for your autism in a couple of minutes

Laptops? Sometimes you wanna play on the go.

Seems nowadays the market's kinda divided; I imagine you get mostly people with PCs that are in various states of monstrous power and cheap Office/Facebook boxes, plus laptops and tablets, and not a lot in between. Not much reason to go for anything but the high or low end.

What are you talking about? That's how the game usually looks

thread brings back good memories
my young foolish self thought "who wants TWO video cards,obv an integrated 2d+3d is a steal" and bought a voodoo rush card

hoo poy

p90 with 3d acceleration could run quake at about 30fps and quake2 at 25fps

that was with mipmap levels equivalent to Super Mario 64 at 512x384, poor little card was practically smoking

What do you fellow poorfags use to go the extra mile like and ?

cloud.github.com/downloads/mkr3142/QuakeFlash/QuakeFlash.swf

sorry fam

But playing around with custom resolutions is both the most fun and most effective in my experience.
Just try to keep the aspect ratio and it mostly works great.
Also playing around with configs to go beyond in-game options like in the case with PoE.

I holy shit. I didn't imagine Wargame could look so shitty on its lowest settings

I was a college poor-fag when that game was released. Thankfully Oldblivion gave my shitty FX5500(unlocked from 5200) a new breather

I don't get the terminology. Is it a black twitter thing? Gay slang? What?

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply here

that was bullshit, serious sam ran flawlessly and douk3d ran like shit at svga resolutions

well uh aside of extremely bottlenecking the machine, of course unless you're doing some architectual stuff, having that much of ram on 1200mhz is like not knowing what exactly you wanted there, spending daddy's money selflessly.

It just felt like that.

Saved up about $1000 to build a proper PC

should I go for an r9 290 crossfire? Or should I just wait for new cards?

You have no idea of what you're talking about.
Go read about DDR ram

bf3/4 had that to. at max settings the lighting and foliage made it hard to see people.

lowest on all but explosions n shit gave you 144fps, bland background colors and made the players stand out.

being able to run on next-to-anything is a quality more 3D pc games need to take advantage of

but he's kind of right though. 32gb is overkill for gayming pc.

1200mhz and 12 12 13 35 would drop fps about 10 when compared to 2400mhz 8 8 9 24.

Not to mention the stupid meme-teir amount he has. unless you run multiple VM or have a huge ramdisk for video editing it's not needed

It is pretty fucking gay, yeah.

it looks the same.
Graphics barely are important in that game.

Voodoo 2 SLI

yes and no.
Note the texture on the ground.
The geo of the soldiers.
But ultimately having good art direction with low-poly models and stunningly detailed textures is the right way to game dev. The wrong way is how they do it these days which is high poly, undetailed yet massively oversized detailess texture maps.

Graphics is important, but for not the reasons people think about. Optimization making the game run well with a lot of units and still look good should be the goal. Focusing on looking pretty is a waste of time if barely anyone can actually play it.. (I'm looking at you Crysis!).

I feel like a lot of this just comes with having an excellent art style. Imagine if more games took care with their art style like Vanillaware.

No they most definitely don't.

However it doesn't look bad either. Low graphics in the game just make everything look like clay.

realize this, the normal maps (aka the bumpy bits that make it look more detailed) can be baked down on the the diffuse (where you paint shit) to create the illusion of detail, likewise AO maps (aka the shadowy shit around the edges) can be baked from normals. So you could really get it looking identical.. its just the devs that made this were lazy.

Yeah, people aren't poorfags, you're just a dumbass with your money. The Fury isn't good enough for 4k games, but it's too expensive to be used for for 1080p and even 1440p. Quit spending daddy's money on useless extras.

Do not crossfire. Few games properly support it. Just wait for a new card.

Go read about RAM timings, he might've gotten extremely low latency RAM just at 1200MHz clock speed.

What is this game?

It's from people whose first MMO was Toon Town.
I'm not shitting you.

Stellaris

oh lol okay

Oh fuck how did I never realize this

It all makes sense now

lookin good

Beautiful

You have to go back.

I tried playing FSX with integrated graphics. It did not go well.

Nothing is "too expensive for X" if you have the money for it.

how about ultra high settings!?

toon is some very old tg terminology, bastardized nowadays but still tg
popularized in WoW for all the wrong reasons, mainly the cartoonish graphic so if you see it used it's probably WoW, not toontown

If you like being a wasteful faggot who spends his whole life getting jewed, sure.

In other news, 2 is more than 1.

Not even close

it's wow but jesus, sub 5fps? how didn't what is essentially a fast slideshow not give you an epileptic attack? Our eyes are ok with motion and stillness, but it gets really really fucky when you have what is interpreted as still motion because your perception can so easily discern between each frame

Why can't games be like this anymore? i get it in mp games where visual effects and things like render distance will for sure give someone an advantage but why not in single player?

Noice, would be even better if you weren't a gay and got a decent monitor

no, you go read about them. that's DDR4 anyway.

hey wait a minute, why do they have AK74M?

YOU GOD DAMN 5 YEAR OLD IDIOTS

Toon is a term for "character," it was used in Dungeons and Fucking dragons then popularized by WoW.

GET THE FUCK OUT YOU CASUAL LOSER FUCKS

it was cancer in the 19th century, it's cancer now. being old doesn't change that. Now go back to reddit, you actual underage faggot

NO
you do not get to completely misunderstand the meaning, source and history of the term, then claim that your false understanding is actually true because you thought that's what it was in the first place
YOU GIANT FUCKING FAGGOT

addendum: tabletop games are what us real fucking men were playing years before you even picked up a controller.

you do NOT get to shit on the source of the culture you fucking CASUAL FAG

you're very upset that people don't like your gay word

These are the people that enter into a hobby, don't understand it, think everything about it is gay they casualize it, never attempting to learn. Then they attack those that have been using the terms and been in the hobby much longer them them, "hurr get out"

It's casual fucking losers at it's worst.

also, just bantz man

I would love a game with shit graphics like these and all spare cpu gpu power is put into making the mechanics super deep and complex

How is Wargame it is on sale but I wonder if I should buy, which one to start and which one to avoid.

dwarf fortress

Classic game. Also Aurora and to a much lesser extent cataclysmdda

not a game but any simulator. And i mean actual simulators not pretend trash like arma or project cars

Are you aware of a quality helicopter flight sim? I started with the arcade tier helis in bf and have been flying them in arma 3 for a while.

I used to do this shit with CoD4 up to 2012 when i bought a Vita and a 360.

I've stated playing WOW in 2005 and don't remeber anyone useing TOON, it was always char

perhaps it depended on server.
I only ever played on blackhand, nordrassil, doomhammer and whatsitsname and a lot of people used the term.

Haha i do that!

that's how you are supposed to play, no fog

or tryhards tweaking their frame rate on CoD so their gun fires faster

OVER A FUCKING YEAR OF PATCHES AND THIS SHIT STILL HAPPENS

A FUCKING YEAR AND MORE OF PATCHES AND THE GAME IS STILL BROKEN.

THIS IS MY THIRD PERORDER SINCE SPORE, THEY ALL FAILED.

Someone who browses Holla Forums ITT unironically uses the term "Toon".

i'll suck your cock if you don't shut the fuck up. There's nothign wrong with the word toon you manbaby

Like clockwork

Go ahead and suck his cock, then get the fuck out of here.

ill force your throat down my cock you pissbaby redditor. in the real world i may be wear kbut my toon will fuck you up man

lmao @ this fag

Oh, baby. You're making me hot and ready like mom's spaghetti.

we understand it, it's gay as shit.
my only friend who called characters "toons" was a dumb faggot that played City of Heroes.

Looks like he had a hernia or something. I think that's the "bottle" shape arnie was talking about, doesn't look as good as the V shape tbh

What's this guy's name again? I see him in gachi videos a lot

Are you for fucking real?

Yeah

Probably because it was around before Toon Town. I played EQ in '99 and people said it was from The Realm.

polite offtopic sage

Most new releases don't even come with low settings. The same reason why medium looks almost identical to high settings, they don't expect nor want people to play on low. They don't want to have to take the extra step of making low settings assets just like they don't make an attempt to improve the game in general.

Come on now.

Damn, now I want to play Arena.

I had a dream that they actually did that once.

Arena's not that great from what I hear. Daggerfall, on the other hand, is said to be the best Elder Scrolls game.

So this……is the true power of PC masterrace…

a baby monkey doesn't even touch the fire and knows it's going to hurt it by the heat, but if the baby monkey is retarded enough to touch the fire it figures out it hurts and never repeats the same act.

You touched the fire 3 times, why?

It doesn't work like this.

Normal maps are used for shadows and reflections. If you just bake those down onto the diffuse (or albedo, if you have a modern game with PBR), you'll run into some problems. Namely that shadows and reflections depend on the environment and your diffuse/albedo doesn't update. What you can do is bake the AO maps down to the diffuse/albedo. It doesn't look identical though, because diffuse/albedo and AO handle being lit differently.
If you shine a light on a model, the diffuse/albedo is brightened, whereas the AO is masked. Think about it for a second. When you have some sort of hole/crease/whatever in your object that produces a shadow and shine at it with a flashlight, you want the parts outside of it to become brighter, but not the shadows themselves. These are supposed to disappear completely, revealing what was hidden before, when you shine a light on them. If you bake your AO down to the diffuse/albedo and shine a light on it, that part of your albedo goes from black to grey which is a) incorrect and b) looks ugly as fuck.

However, since we are talking about ultra low settings here, that isn't really a strong argument. What is, is that you will be severely limited by your texture resolution. Adding small details on small textures stops working at some point.

tl;dr:
Bake some fake shadows down onto the diffuse/albedo using the normal and AO maps.

It's Le Dancing USA Man.

Richard Milos

last time i had a dream i woke up to a nightmare

Get out, pony fag.

I actually am still using my integrated graphics, intel G41, I just hope amd pushes the 950 sub $100

every time

Yeah I had similar problem. My first PC in 2003 was Athlon XP 1.6 GHZ, 256MB ram, GeForce mx440 and 80gb disk. And until 2010 or 2011 I had this PC… just with new disk, more ram and a bit better graphic card, but still some cheapo and old (cuz it had to be AGP) ati 128 mb.

That's an AN94.

lol

I used to play like this until a month or so ago, DaSIII put my old PC at rest i was playing on low at 800x600 and at like 20-25 fps