Exanima (Sui Generis) is now officially FIGHT CLUB!

New beta update happened, hirelings are now a thing in arena mode, arms and armor purchases are now a thing. Arena mod is now officially a gladiator sim with various match ups with permadeaths and there seems to be a shortage of anons talking about the only non slav made game in years to not follow the AAA mold.

Other urls found in this thread:

kat.cr/usearch/exanima/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

EXASOULS WHEN?

where's the torrent laddie

I played this awhile ago and got rekt

What is this shit?

i literally couldn't kill my first zombie

The secret to playing Examina is as follows

wasn't afraid or anything, it's just that i can't grasp the controls

I killed a few but it felt pretty stupid. Also you don't need to kill them, unless they're hostile.

I don't really understand the premise though. Wander around drunkenly in a labyrinth of samey rooms filled with physics objects and have drunken combat? There seem to be a lot of shills on the steam community, because even if you don't mind the combat it feels really devoid of… most stuff. I mean it's a good start, but it's been in early access over a year and I get the feeling they are about to call it done.

No thanks.

Is the combat and movement still just as drunken as usual?
Where are the webms and torrents?

Why not have this thread when the game is actually done.

so are you going to give us a download link or do you not get paid when we pirate the game?

How fucking lazy are you?

kat.cr/usearch/exanima/

That's because exanima is exactly what it is. A prelude to sui generis. You get arena mode and drunk dark dungeon mode while the team works on story mode RPG that will be named Sui Generis instead.

Got back after about half a year of absence, footwork's massively improved. My big nigger steel piping someone in the back of the head, sending them crashing to the ground and them wailing on them while they lay on the ground now feels like about 2 bottles of vodka instead of the old 10 bottles of vodka.

Also, stabbing and spears is now a thing.

Блять
I'll make some webms for your thread because I remember getting really hyped over this back when it was sui generis and the looked brutal as fuck.

Yeah, but is it good?

Fucking hell, this thing has been in development forever. Too much EA/kickstarter shit never getting past the tech demo stage. Sure there's more to it than the average demo in this case, still not going to buy in until there's a game to play.

Not really, no. Clumsy doesn't really do justice to just how horribly uncoordinated the combat is. If they fixed that it could be a really good dungeon crawler but right now it is horrible.

Also it makes my computer rev like nothing else. No idea why.

one more webm just to show how group weapon combat looks.

It really does look like they are just flailing around like idiots.

You're right, combat looks really lame. It's surprising that they can get this far without ever doubting that this is in any way shape or form "acceptable"

also, while I'm here, the controls are also garbage. Everything is done by the mouse. You hold left click to swing and right click to walk. You can also use wasd to side step and lunge/back pedal but it's relative to the direction your character is facing (always towards the cursor) and not oriented by the camera which is a huge pain in the ass. Parrying happens automatically so long as you're facing the attacker and not swinging though you can use the back swing of your attacks to parry too but that generally gets you killed. To get a good hit you've got to start your swing and then step in so that the sharp/heavy part hits and not the shaft/your arm. Very tricky and takes a lot of effort to get it to any functional level of accuracy or damage.

If all else fails you can just run straight at them and walk over them to make them fall over and wail on them as they're trying to get up.

At this stage I wouldn't even say it's worth a pirate. The videos of it and sui generis by the devs are hilarious to watch but the game itself is unplayable.

Is this the QWOP of action RPG's?

Man gets swung by sword: The game

You need to git gud.

It's not lame, just experimental as hell. In fact, it looks fantastic. You know, some changes should be made, like making the main character more resistant to swinging, like in GTA 4, and giving it a third person shooter camera. It needs bigger budget though.

Wow this looks retarded. I might get it.

Yeah I played this a long while back. It looks and feels a lot better when you actually git gud at it, but it never shakes that sumotori dreams feel. My biggest issue with it though was how incredibly finicky the game was with mouse placement and movements when you're trying to do some of the other kinds of swings and strikes.

Also two handed weapons are king. Shields can get annoying to deal with when you're up against them and they will cover most of your ass most of the time, but getting a meaty hit with a big ass hammer or something will fucking end you. Even a clipping hit on the end of the swing can be brutal in the right spot.
**This is probably the 4th time I've posted this screen shot on Holla Forums.*

Last time I played was… wow, May 19th, 2015. Have they tightened up the controls enough for me to pirate it again?

Watching this while listening the taurus demon theme from dark souls makes it absolutely hilarious

This game is hilariously bad. I had few hearty laughs while playing it.

But this is in no way shape of form acceptable to be a part of a finished and serious game. If they released it as a gimicky multiplayer game I could see people playing it for laughs. But if they intend to use it in a serious single player game, man no, just no.

this, exanima is just dungeon crawling with physics combat

sui generis has all that plus magic

the fuck are you doing? combat is physics-based, meaning you can't stand next to him and swing, it'll do nothing. also, iirc in order to block you have to have the mouse in the direction of their attacks.

If I remember correctly it's entirely physics based. Weapon swings and their damage, every object, even footwork is made on a ragdoll model that tries to place its feet in the most stable position while moving. Because of this, the heavier and longer your weapon and the faster it is moving when you hit someone with it, the more deadly it is. Bladed weapons work the same way but they apply more red health damage (doesn't regenerate) than yellow.
Technically it's great, visually it's horrid.

That's right, do you have any idea how complex that kind of implementation is? I don't have idea how a bunch of indie devs could have access to such technology.

i wanted to hate it but that hit felt so good

Sometimes complicated things aren't the best. Overengineering things is not the answer. This way you have an interesting tech demo, but you shouldnt expect someone to play a full game in this manner.

We're talking about autism here no?

Technically it's impressive.

Realistically I have to wonder what kind of dev would be so far up their own ass they can't see that their game looks and plays like combat simulator featuring cerebral palsy sufferers

This. Hitting people in the head with hammers feels far too good.

The main dev made it all, from the physics to the rendering. It's a goddamn technical marvel because PhysX and Havoc don't work a tenth as good as this and they have huge amounts of money and people behind them. Fuck I can put a bucket over my head and the arm/loop of the bucket will interact with my body with no glitching, while PhysX shits itself all the time (I've worked in UE4, PhysX rigidbodies can be a real bitch and has made me rage plenty). Collisions are, if not per-poly, still very accurate. All the lights are dynamic too.

They better include mod tools, the technology has amazing potential and I'd be very pissed if this game releases, passes, and then fades together with the engine.

Git gud isn't just a meme, especially in the case of this game it really does go from drunk people swinging metal bars to an actual fight (until things go wrong, you panic, and you're back to being a drunk bum swinging wildly). I'm mostly worried about how it's going to be with big enemies like the ogre, seems like you'd get hit once, get slammed into the wall, then just get pounded before you can get up.

I want to play this game, but I don't want to waste my already shitty connection on an early access game

This is the closest thing to R*'s Euphoria physics. How did they even do it?

I had an IT friend who knew how to make an adaptive physics based movement, it utilized some kind of learning AI and looked very similar to this. Do you know what it is called?

Do you even know what that word means? It's a fine engine, all they have to do now is streamlining it into a perfectly playable mechanic.

I think the biggest issue is that you've gotta move the camera all the fucking time.
If they included an option that locked it behind you, it probably wouldn't be nearly as weird to play.

How do I kill the ogre?I cheesed it the first time and eventually got my shit handed to me by the statues in the next level, I tried to kill the ogre properly next time but I got my ass handed to me, how do I git gud

user, it's actually harder to play the game with the camera bound to where the cursor is facing. Try keeping space pressed instead of strategically doing it during combat. You'll get a headache.

From the look of it, everything has a little bit too much momentum and commitment. That's a number tweak, not an engine tweak, so it's not really that big a deal. From the webms above, it's like every action gets heavily invested into, even though there are plenty of moments where you'd actually want to exercise restraint and jump two meters to the side of the enemy. Another good option would be to have some modifier keys affect the severity of your move, so you can pick between large commit, small juke, etc.

and not jump two meters*

There actually already is what you're implying. The problem with the AI is they prefer to dash than walk. If you watch any semi competent people play this game, they can in fact fight while standing either pretty still or just stepping in and out with minor side steps without flinging their whole body across the room.

Is the combat suppose to feel like shit?
I'll admit I haven't played it much due to not really knowing what the fuck to do
and getting killed game has potential though.

Shit game. Practice is the only good part of it. THE ONLY.

Fuck this shit. Worth a play for the funny combat though.

user, git gud.

Some of those webms are of older versions, they've been doing a lot of work on the responsiveness. The first release was really really hard to play (you could still git gud and wreck shit though).

What they need is to improve 1h weapons, they are currently useless. The wide swings favour heavy weapons too much, 1h would need either some different "animations" that take less commitment or something like that.

Arena isn't really the main mode user, the story is a lot more fun. The tier system in the arena is retarded, though the iron bar is so fucking OP you can handle aspirant/novice fighters with it.

2h sword is the easiest one. With other 2h weapons you usually need to hit with the right part (like the axe or hammer head) to do anything of note, while a 2h sword can still damage plenty even if you don't hit with the point of percussion.

I beg to differ. Even from the older versions, 1 handers are extremely efficient at going full in your face with full body pivotal swings (which usually ends up beating up the opponent's back, bypassing shields) and their short range allows the weapon to operate at a distance where all two handed weapons with the exception of the 2 handed sword (only against unarmoured opponents) and the iron pipe would fail horridly.

so i just installed this, how the fuck do I pick up the torch at the start?

open the inventory and put it in your hand. jesus.

The inventory works exactly like old RPGs.

I managed to do it after 10 minutes of relentless clicking.
Equipping it wasn't the problem, it was picking it up.
I couldn't for the life of me click the one pixel that let me interact with it, same with the key later on.
Being new to the game I didn't know how to use the key either so I dragged it out of my inventory to use it on the door only to drop it right next to the door, so whenever I tried to pick it back up again I would just start moving the door.
I had to restart because of that

Quite sure it's just a raycast against the collision mesh user, you can just zoom in the camera if you are having trouble picking up something small.

You can use keys (and most useables I think) by doubleclicking on them.

Melvin ain't so small now, is he?

Multiplayer planned? This game would be plenty fun if it actually was made into gladiator simulator

Stop this slav meme. They're shit. Amongst the worst.

Last I heard they wanted to if possible, no clue how they'll deal with replicating the physics. I imagine it will end up not happening, but who knows.

I don't get it. Die by the sword was doing physics based combat in 1999 how can these guys do what is functionally the same thing and fuck it up so badly?

How good is the spear?
I'm not sure if I want to swap out my easy mode two handed sword

If you're any good with stabbing, it's like the dagger on a stick so bretty gud.

Die by the sword was loosely physics based. As in only your sword arm matters. The rest of your body was never physics based. Sui Generis is infinitely more ambitious with DBTS since they even made a tripping simulator out of this.

this is exactly how i felt
and was not disappointed

They're completely different, the only thing that's similar is that it uses your actual sword model (or at least a relatively accurate collision mesh) for your hits. DbtS was not physics based at all.

Physics based locomotion is incredibly hard to do right and it's a relatively new field of study too, it's one of those up and coming technologies we'll see become common in 10 years time or so (which also means that you shouldn't expect Sui Generis to become much less flail-y anytime soon). I think the only real examples of it in games apart from this one is Euphoria.

how do you make the AI stop parrying?
fights takes forever since they all just stand there and deflect everything.
and my character's ass just crashed my game

LET THE MACHINE LIVE YOUR FANTASY

Most enemies are pretty shit at fighting, just bait one into attacking you, dodge his attack, and hit him.

that worked with the zombies but
I'm having trouble with doing that in the arena as they keep fainting and just waiting to parry

so will I have some fun if I pirate?

Why can't I light a dude on fire with the torch
augh pls add

Game is purely singleplayer, for now anyway.

How do you go beyond limits with the slider? It seems like a fun way to play.

I need to know this, I need to make Conan who sends people flying around the room with his hits and needs no armor.

Nice tactic, fam.

Some of mine for 2-handers (I prefer polehammers):

- Maintain 1.5 combat steps from opponent; place cursor NE of character; take 1 combat step East; start weapon swing; take 1 combat step forward and bring the cursor around in arc to opponent.

This will step past the opponent, avoiding their blow, and bring your weapon around to the back of their head. Once you get comfortable with the timing, you can very reliably 2 shot enemies with it. Safe and repeatable general tactic. You can also do this from their other side by moving the cursor NW instead and stepping West, but this can be more difficult and there is little point.

- Maintain 1.5 combat steps from opponent; place cursor NW of character and quickly start swing; take 1 combat step forward and bring cursor to opponent.

This will quickly swing from the left and strike at the head/chest. The timing of this relies on catching an opponent as they step or just before they begin a swing. Less reliable than the other tactic, but sometimes useful. Once again you can do the reverse of these.

- Maintain 1.5 combat steps from opponent; place cursor ESE of character; start swing; take 1 combat step forward; arc cursor around to opponent.

Generic frontal attack, relies on controlling the arc and timing of the blow (similar to chivalry, if you've played), in that you can either spin around faster to hit them too quickly to defend, or slow it down to throw off their defense.

General tips would be to control your footwork. The opponent will generally advance upon you, and you want to control your distance from them to about 1.5 steps in most cases.

For the moves that require stepping out to the side, you should be stepping backwards in a rhythm with the opponent with plenty of space behind you, then on the next beat, step out to the side, execute attack, and then generally I will hold 's' while keeping my cursor on the opponent to immediately step back out of the attack while facing him, to reset.

If you eventually reach a wall, keep your cursor on the opponent's weapon to almost guarantee blocks, and step to the side. This will circle you out from the wall as the opponent steps forward into it. You will switch positions having taken 0 damage and reset for more attacks.

If you get hit, just put your cursor on him and step backwards. If you're near a wall, circle outwards. If you're in a really tight spot, use right click to run past them into a clear area. If you have enough distance on them, you can actually run and build enough momentum to shoulder charge them down.

Another important point would be that if you knock them down, move to a position 1.5 steps away, and as soon as their hand touches the ground for them to get back up, start your swing then step forward to complete it. A lot of matches I have involve using the first technique which immediately floors them, waiting for their animation, then connecting a second time as they stand up for the kill.

I can make some recordings and post webms if this is unclear.

Anyone familiar with kendo would also find that kendo feints for overhead strikes are very applicable in Exanima. Not sure if any of you baited the AI with overhead feints with step in/outs until the AI lashes out and gets bonked in the head?

Looks like drunken medieval Gangbeasts.

I feel like it would be better with a different camera angle.

Aye, I feel like giving it the traditional 3rd person camera can do good for the direct-2-cursor system they are using since you now can use the cursor to influence the Z axis instead of using footwork induced momentum to do it now.

Do it, faggot

Fun Fact: Putting your cursor outside of the opponent's side and then dragging it towards your opponent mid punch turns your straight punch into a haymaker. Works best with tall people and long arms.

Here you go, user. I used this master level duel to demonstrate the first technique, which is really my bread and butter.

zoom in closer for the next one.
Only just found out about controlling my swings with left to right mouse movements. Fucking hell that makes it so much easier to deal with shieldfags

Do you want me to redo that one zoomed in closer? Also, this will destroy shieldfags very easily too.

That's a pretty good guide, user.

That said I think guides don't really work for beginners, you need to get a feel for the motion and whatever weapon you're using, until you get that down any guide you try to follow will just have you flailing like a drunk. People simply have to git gud on their own.

Unfucked the webm as much as I could figure out how to for more clarity.

I made it over, too bad I ruined the puzzle completely by breaking the exit door somehow when I shoved bunch of rubble in the gate to see what would happen.
door locked down, and the lever is on the other side

my guy almost tripped when crossing another time, so I doubled down

They're still working on this? I only saw the initial annoucement way back whenever the fuck that was, and haven't heard a thing about this game since.

I made it through the lever gauntlet after restarting because of that broken door.
Got some metal wrist cuffs, helmet and a sword out of it.
kinda underwhelming

Anyone gotten to the new Diablo 2-style gems and socketed items? I'm making my way there slowly, 5th time I play through this now so not too keen on sloughing through the first 3 levels.

When are they gonna introduce magic?
That was the shit from their videos that got me really excited.

not even crouching and dodging could get me over it.
I had to walk around
fucking lazy devs putting invisible no fun walls everywhere

I think that's you hitting the (invisible and annoying) ceiling rather than a wall over the counter.

Well they've added magical gems for weapons, so some magic is being added in some form. Since the rest of the combat is more or less fine now I imagine magic is up next.

I just used a memory editor. Cheat Engine will work.

Getting a Diablo 2 Durance of Hate feel from it.

Also got destroyed by the ogre, how the fuck am I supposed to fight this thing? I can clear any human enemy just fine but this thing just charges me, slams me to the ground, then rapes my asshole.

should have stayed out of his swamp

JESUS

You racka disciprin. 2H sword + circle strafing.

strafe that thing?
fucker's wider than the damn room

Keep cursor on him and keep moving to the side and back. He will have a very tough time hitting you. Swing sword just before you take the next step, so that the strike doesn't interrupt your strafing.

Polehammer is a bad choice against such a foe, since it's unarmored and fast. 2H sword will fuck him.

As the other user said, sharp weapons are a must, he doesn't have much armour (not sure if his skin counts as leather armour or not, but whatever). I think a spear would work fine too, though stepping backwards might just lead him into slamming you to the ground, at which point you're dead.

Wish we had ranged weapons.

guess I have to go and look for some sharper weapons than my hammer stick

Absolutely glorious user.

it was ogre before I knew it.
no tears, only onions

Just wait until you get a little further and there is another enemy that wrecks your shit even harder.

You fuckers weren't kidding with the combat. Jesus…

I like it.

fuck you that scared the shit out of me
HOW THE FUCK DO YOU FIGHT THIS?!
WHY DO THEY SWING SO FAST?!
I found out I can get a 1v1 if I hit one of the living armor guys long enough for it to wake, but it still wrecks my shit

wat game?

Is there a way to heal in this game? I notice that there's a few items that you can put in your inventory that you can't seem to immediately use, like tongs and bottles.

This game actually looks good, but I find it impossible to actually feel hyped for video games anymore.

Can someone give me a quick rundown of this game? I get the physics-based combat gimmick, but what else is there to make this worth playing?

there's a blue shiny potion that will completely heal your red damage.
I think there's only 1 on each level.
first one is easy to spot as it is close to the exit and not inside a container so you can see its blue glow illuminate the entire room it is in

I thought I got wrecked badly but seems you got the raped even worse than me.

No idea how to beat them but due to their long weapons I imagine closing the distance would help, also drop that sword and get the biggest blunt weapon you can get to bash through their armour.

but muh sword

I actually have a giant two handed mace in my inventory that I could use,
it did miracles with the hungry skeletals

You now know how to fight with a weapon. To fight with your bear hands, substitute d with w and leave your cursor over the enemy.

Do you just suck dicks every day or something? This the best looking combat I've ever seen in a game. The only thing that it needs is the option of locking the camera to point in the direction your character is facing so you don't get keep accidentally moving in the wrong directions when you're looking towards the bottom of the screen.

Unless that's already in and I just don't know how to do it.

Marauder. It's the last game 7.62 HC devs made before they went bankrupt. It's like a simplified 7.62 with a linear story mode. Pretty comfy, but not as good as 7.62.

And yes, those are literally your neighbours and I have just killed the whole neighbourhood because they went "muh commie handouts" on me

Whacking people in the back of the head with a blunt object and wailing on them nonstop when they are on the ground?

Well what SG will be we don't know, there are plenty of promises about it but I'll wait until I see them. As far as Exanima goes, I guess the (semi-)realistic setting (armours and weapons are pretty damn accurate, no giant swords or spiky armours), the fact it has a dark atmosphere reminiscent of games like Diablo, and cool shit like being able to layer armour and such which you'll love if you have an interest in medieval stuff.

Exanima is just a prelude though, the real meat should be in SG, but again for now that's all promises, go read the kickstarter if you want to know more.

You can hold down spacebar if you want that effect, though generally I'll only flip the camera after executing some move or attack to get ready for the next one, as in my webm above.

I can't help but feel like this game is onto something great. it's not even half way there yet, but it's on the right track.

Figured I'd make a post on pugilism, though there's really not much to say.

Stay about 1.5 combat steps away, keep your cursor on opponent. Again, you want to be moving back in a rhythm with them. The important part here is timing- you want to start your attack and lunge forward just as they make their next step (you can only move so fast and are animation locked as you step- abuse this against your opponent). Your momentum forward + your fist + them moving into you = consistent 2 shot.

Another user also mentioned haymakers, and to be more precise with that, it's nearly the same as the 2H sidestep I mentioned above, but you want to be about 1 step back and about 0.5 to the side, stepping in and swinging around to connect, but much more quickly since the punch animation is much faster.

Anyone else forgot to make an arena character with a weapon and proceed to fight in inept with only fists? It's actually possible and great fun and I've clear 3 elimination matches already.

Oh god the trip at the end with all the clanks from the armor made it hilarious

Fist fighted to my first gold and until I needed to recruit my first companion. Shit's great

might as well, you don't any good two handed weapons until novice rank anyway.
the quarter staff is preddy good though

No, as in I fist fighted against armed enemies because I forgot to give my self a weapon at char gen and turns out I'm already a novice and still fist fighting.

Though you can't go higher than adept in elimination since that's when people start wearing mail

I'm horrible at the arena mode, especially at the elimination.
there's always a slash type fag at the start who somehow get a lucky slash at my face and leave my health bar half red

That's why at one point you stop swaying all the time with movement. I treat my fights like I treat my kendo fights. I move only when I have to. But with fist, weaving in and out is a must.

I try to duck with my overheads to cave in their skull with my nigger stick.
usually I just miss and get my face cut up

how do you block?

Character attempts to block automatically. You can increase your effectiveness at it by keeping your cursor on the enemy's weapon so that your character always faces that direction/holds his weapon towards where a strike will come from, and by picking up a skill which improves your chance to defend your vital points in the armour talent line.

Bad bad bad idea. It limits your mobility to get out of enemy range. Remember, I'm fist fighting people without any weapons to block with and winning, even against polearms because I know how to duck in and out without getting hit.

One interesting consequence of the physics-based movement and that the AI works on the same principles as the player is that making a player play as, say, an ogre should be just a variable change or two.

They even showed playing as an ogre in the kickstarter video.

Holy fuck I'm pathetic at this game

Oh god that's golden

go into the control settings and change the Dash mode into sprint.
meaning now you have to hold the sprint key to do big dodges.
fights get easier when you aren't flying everywhere when you try to make adjustments

something about watching your character slowly try and sit up only to be whack-a-mole'd back down hit me in just the right spot and i burst out laughing.

good shit user.

Mind your footwork and your timing. I see that you seem to be trying to step out to the side a bit for strikes, but remember to move your cursor to a position where your character will be after you sidestep.

Your biggest problem is definitely timing and judging the distance, though. It's very important to get into a rhythm with the opponent, you step as they step, so you can control the battle. Don't panic, and start your swing just before the next beat, then step forward. That way, you will always be the first to connect, because the enemy relies on proximity to decide when they start their swing. And don't panic.

Also, the "STAY DOWN, BITCH" at the end was pretty amusing.

I found this down in a shitter.
anyone who know what it does?

Where are you guys finding all these weapons and armor? I get lost and end up running into the same rooms over and over eventually getting raped by some zombie guy or something.

Chests, on tables, in logical places (swords + armor might be in a barracks or smithy area, 2h axe in an area where wood is being cut/stored) otherwise scattered around the place. You have to look closely.

I think I maybe figured it out.
it constantly gives you exp, I forgot to pause the game when I went out with my dog and when I came back I had gained a level

I am just guessing here, but does these tokens have anything to do with the emblems on the floor?
Like if I have the twin sword token the giant armor guys wont wreck my shit if I try to open their door?

also how do you use the crystals?

Crystals work like gems in Diablo 2, you can stick them in items that have sockets. That blue one gives an electric effect.

Can I clearly see what items have sockets or is it hidden?
because I haven't seen any weapons with sockets yet, I think.

I haven't seen any either but I imagine they are visible, either way apparently there is only a mask and a mace with sockets so far, so they aren't easy to find.

don't worry, i couldn't even kill 1 zombie and quit
the controls are just confusing for me

Was always repulsed by Jagged and 7.62 because most of them takes place in Southern America, but I can't say no if I can go full cheeki breeki on this one.

Not sure how you're playing, but I'm a goddamned butcher with the cleaver.

I found the mace, the sockets looks like this

You might be a cuck.

huh, the mace and the mask are right next to each other.
I don't think I will be using neither as I want muh two handers and that torch helmet

This game looks cool, are the controls really that autistic? Should I just throw something down to support the devs or should I wait and pirate or wait for a release?

do both

i bought the game, if I dislike it I'll just return it before playing it for 2 hours.

Good call, I'll do this eventually

South America repulses me at the highest point nigger, I hate this place, but feel free to give me a mod of Europre 2016 where I can do the same :^)

Hitler is that you?

Sure is Mister Dub.

How can a geographical location repulse you? I mean I can understand that spic "culture" is absolutely horrendous and makes me want to vomit, but it's like hunting exotic animals in Africa. Africa is a total shithole that I wouldn't want to live in, but rhinos, cheetahs, and lions would be fun. Except in the games you're hunting people.

I'm just confused user.

I can't really explain it, I hate the culture, I hate exotic forrest, it's the worst environment for me. The density, the heat, I despise everything. I would much rather play a game which takes place in the US, Europe or Asia than South Amercia.

How the fuck do you do doubles in the arena? Is it broken? I have two fighters, but if I try adding the second, it just swaps them instead, so I can never start the fight. They're both the right rank.

Doubles and skirmish are done with AI fighters while you control a single character. Meaning you have to hire them instead of recruiting a fresh character.

Did I do good Holla Forums? Holy fuck I love this game.

Oh, I thought the recruits would be used as AI fighters.

Oh shit is that the first level? I saw the death sign and got a zombie to walk in there and I just followed it. When I heard it die and saw a hole in the ground, I just turned around and left.

I fucking love the physics in this, though. I just learned how to takedown opponents as in just shoving them into the ground and then bashing their skull in before they get up. You can also do all kinds of tryhard shit like spins during combat to hit harder/behind someone, or parrying quicker, or even ducking under weapon swings. The skill ceiling is so high.

Yes it is the path of the skull

Alright, I have been experimenting with naked vs. armored combat and have found that it is very similar to pugilism, with the only real differences being maintaining about 2.5 combat steps distance, being more selective and careful about which beats to strike on, and more liberal use of running to make sure you get away from the strikes cleanly.

A quick aside on the timing for hitting people who have been knocked down; as I said previously, you want to move to a position 1.5 away, wait until they just put their hand down to get up, then start your attack and move in. Here, I paused slightly since fists are so fast.

I find that shielded fighters with lighter 1h weapons are the fist fighters biggest fear.

Yeah, I've found that they can be a little tougher, but using the method I outlined, the only real difference is that it takes a few more hits. I can try to get some footage of me vs. a shieldfag with fists later if you want.

That would be nice. My fightfag has problems against shields.

Got some time to make a recording. Took a while to find a shieldfag. Like I said, it's very similar to fighting armor in general; stay 2.5 away, and be very focused on your timings and precision- in particular, you will note that when they step forward (the cue for starting my strike and stepping in) they also conveniently open themselves up in the front, so it's easy to land good blows in that window. As before as well, liberal usage of right click to run into a more favorable position.

Otherwise, refer to the remastered version of my first webm above on how to deal with shieldfags with a 2H- they can't resist the sidestep any more than other enemies can.

The only thing I haven't really done that much is 1H, but I can mess around with them and post results/recordings if you want that too.

Are you using OBS to record or something else? How do you make it not look like garbage?

I'm just using shadowplay to record, then trimming/resizing and converting the recordings with webm for gits, using all quality improving settings available and limiting filesize to about 7MB.

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

I get killed before I can make enough money to buy anything good in the arena.

If you consciously practice the techniques outlined above, you will be much more effective in combat.

I look forward to dismemberment being added.

A conversation about crouch swinging to fuck up the legs of shield users with a friend brought up the possibility of broken and severed limbs- it might be satisfying to take something off if you strike it with sufficient force and it is a fatal blow, but I'm not sure how fun being crippled and/or bleeding out yourself would be in a fight, or what would happen afterwards given the scarcity of healing pots etc.

Casual. Also I don't really think crouch hitting is a very good idea. At least for me, whenever I try to crouch, I just get hit in the face.

It's not so much losing, as having your character crippled and slowed for extended periods.

As for crouching while striking, it is useful for hitting people with shields as I said, but also driving them back (especially useful when you circle around them so that they swap your position against a wall), and can even be used to duck punches.

Relevant to both points here, it seems to me that damage done to a body is calculated by the physics of the impact and the interaction of the weapon with the armor, with a possible bonus for damage to the head, since striking the legs seems nearly as damaging as striking the chest, requiring about the same number of blows.

I could make some webms to illustrate these points if you want.

Here's an example of ducking punches in master level pugilism. I follow the duck with placing my cursor beyond my target, standing up, stepping forward, then placing my cursor back on the target, stepping back, and flipping the camera.

You want to wait for them to throw the punch then duck, because otherwise they will just aim lower and hit you.

Striking at the legs. Usual deal of maintaining about 1.5 steps distance. Start swing, step forward, crouch- advance and aim the backswing if you miss.

Note that the enemy will in general retreat from this move, so you can herd them into positions. If you are too close, they will attempt an overhead, but all you need to do is stand when you see them start the strike to catch it.

Speaking of overheading. Stay 1.5 away, double click and hold to commence the swing while you are stepping backwards, pause until just before the swing is about to start its descent, then step forward into opponent. I usually aim at their left shoulder for the most reliable results, though you can guide it while in motion to some extent.

Generally devastating, can 1 shot unarmored and low armored targets if you strike the head, 2 shot them if they have plate, and also useful against shieldfags.

Well getting anything lopped off would almost surely be a death sentence unless you got some way to stem the bleeding really quickly (quite sure devs have said losing limbs will be near instant death).

I'm all for broken limbs but we'll need some way to suicide to avoid breaking your legs in the middle of nowhere and having to crawl for 5 hours.

If the devs have said that limbs can be broken and severed, then it's definitely a good idea to practice hitting legs more, especially with the promise of multiplayer.

My game recently updated with a 800kb patch and now everytime I beat someone in the arena I get "Unknown Application Error" and have to quit out

I tried emptying the appdata folder but that did nothing.

When was multiplayer promised? What I heard is that they said they would LIKE to add it, but will have to look into how feasible it would actually be to do it due to how physics-based everything is. And even then this would be after Sui Generis is released.

Can you only do fisticuffs in fightclub? What about weapons?

You mean the arena? That's the only place you're going to find opponents without weapons in this game. You can drop your weapon and punch people in the dungeon if you want though.

I don't know what you're asking when you say "What about weapons?"

Is there any kind of shop or something to get more equipment in the Arena?
Do higher ranks give you more weapons or something?

Click on the counter near the wall where you can manage your fighters.

They really need to make that interaction more visible, it just looks like an empty shop.

Oh neat, I thought I'd tried that.
They could add a button to show what's interactive around you or something.

or you could not be retarded for a few minutes

Just a few minutes?

Should I bother with the Ruin Sentinel-esque dudes or just run like Hell?
I bugged the first two with a door since they can't pull but I'm having some trouble with the next ones.

there are tokens you can find that makes the golems ignore you when you touch their door, it takes forever to find them though.
Just herd them into a room and close the door

I meant for pvp. Can you use weapons online

There is no online. There MIGHT be online really far down the road, but it's far from confirmed AFAIK.

Is Tony a dev?

Welp, guess I won't ever be able to play multiplayer in this.

Quite sure he's just a guy who is recounting what he heard from the dev, more or less accurately, then adding on his own interpretations.

That said the 50 ping will probably be true, due to the way the game works you need accurate physics replication and you can't really have much prediction.

Should i consider buying this game if i want the magical version to come out?

Dungeon crawling whilst drunk is one thing, but dungeon crawling whilst drunk and throwing fire balls sounds pretty good

Wait for Sui Generis. Exanima is there to flesh out the combat, I think.

I understood that, but What if buying Exanim increases the chances of Sui Generis coming out?
Actually rather wouldn't it be more effective for me to shill this at cuckchan than buy it?

Honestly being Australian is suffering

You see a game worth $15 and buy it, I see a game at $15 dollars before suddenly it transforms into a $20

I'm pretty sure the reason they released Exanima is to get more money so that they can afford to keep working on Sui Generis. Sui Generis was originally supposed to be released like 2 years ago.

Exanima is meant as both a prelude and an alpha/beta. Rather than have a SG alpha they release Exanima as a prologue.

The game has been funded and will be made anyway, the extra money from Exanima helps but the devs have already stated there will never be stretchgoals of any kind (and there weren't in the kikestarter either). If you want to buy it, go ahead, this is probably one of the very few EA games worth buying, but we're getting SG regardless (I imagine more money from Exanima means a faster release though).

Of course there aren't stretch goals, but Exanima is definitely here because they ran out of money. They haven't said this, nor will they, but it's pretty obvious. They got 160k in funding, and that was nearly FOUR years ago. I don't know how big the dev team is, but I've seen "we" in the updates, so it's at minimum two people. That would be 20k a year for each, and I'm fairly certain there's multiple other people. I really don't see any possible way they still have any Kickstarter money left, and I wouldn't be surprised if they dipped into their own savings.

They've definitely already made enough from Exanima, though. In fact, according to steamdb, they've already made about double from Exanima that they made from the SG kickstarter.

Well that really depends on if they work fulltime or parttime using money from the job to lessen the impact. If they did work fulltime I'm amazed the 160k lasted long enough to get Exanima out.

Hit reply too soon, was gonna add they are at least 4, if I'm not mistaken.

Am I the only one who finds the Arena mode to be unfun as fuck?

The tiers stop me from slicing up peasants and the rewards are dogshit, not to mention noloot.

git gud

I am gud, though there's no point with no fun in it, even Dwarf Fortress becomes FUN with eventual invasions/caravans and rewards you get from their corpses

all I'm saying it would be nice if there were modes like fighting a thrall ogre or multiple peasants

I would definitely like some fun modes where you can just mess around. I wanna cleave through groups of people with a greatsword.

Thanks for all the webms user, very useful.

Arena is good practice but that's about it, campaign is much more interesting, especially after level 3, where the mostly generic dungeon ends.

Which reminds me, is there anything past the 4th level with the statues?

There's fray for multiple opponents, but yeah I would like to be able to fight the demon/ogre/troll/whatever the fuck you people are going to call it and other stuff like skeletons in the arena.

Also, is what that monster actually is confirmed anywhere? I've seen people call it both an ogre and a troll, but I just call it a demon because of that scroll on the same level that refers to it as a demon.

So HOW do you even do anything in this game?

I eventually figured out how to pick up and equip the torch, worked a few doors (very smooth, reminds me of Penumbra) and eventually got beat down by some fucking zombie after I chest bumped him a few times.

Tried the arena. Got my ass beat there too. Made a few half-assed swings at people while they smacked me around. I can practice and git gud, but to begin with I need to know the goddamn buttons. How do I attack? How do I block? Parry? I can't just chest bump everyone into submission.

I really wanna like this game but I at least need a primer on the controls. I can take it from there.

Read the guide in options > controls.

one thing not mentioned in controls is double click makes you do an overhead swing

m8

The time to get up from falling needs to be way way shorter. Even in full plate this is way too long.

I also found that you can hold ALT to do thrusting attacks.

Thanks. I checked the controls but didn't notice the guide, this helps a shitload.