Why is it that easily the best console of all time came out 26 years ago

Why is it that easily the best console of all time came out 26 years ago.

Also

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32X
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you validate my point

Cause of Tom Kallinske.

Why do people love the Genesis so much? It's game library was pretty trash

fuck you man, ninja gaiden, power rangers and X-men were the tune of my childhood.

Genesis games are still longer than modern games

You done goofed, OP.

Ninja Gaiden for the MD was not even officially released. There's only a very buggy early proto out - and it's completely unlike any other version.

hm, well I actually will admit I played that one later, thought it was there.

It doesn't matter if the games are 90% garbage or just as good on the SNES. Oh, and let's not forget those autistic add-ons.

I was fortunate enough to have both an SNES and Genesis, and you're absolutely correct, there were like 1/20th as many top-tier games for the genesis as there were for the SNES.

I can't say why others like it, but I like it because games for it seem to be a shitload cheaper than the SNES overall, and the console itself was half the price.

Best RGB output of any console.
Fun as fuck games.
Better CPU than the SNES, and still getting games for it today.
Sega CD wasn't as bad as faggots make it out to be.
32X was though. No redeeming that.

Is the audio mod worth shit on an early model MD mk1?

Disgusting.

Genesis is generally a better multiplayer system than the SNES. SNES probably wins for single player games

What audio mod?

The audio for model 1 MD/Gens should be perfect, they didn't start cheaping out on the sound boards until the very end of the Model 1's life, and of course for all of the Model 2.

If you mean a stereo mod: Just get a patch cable that grabs the sound from the front jack.

Crystal clear audio mod.

Oh user, you're so cute.

I have around 700 SNES games extracted for playing and around 450 for the Genesis, not including romhacks.

I don't hate the Genesis, but yeah, the game library for the Genesis sucked , especially in North America where some of the better games didn't get released because SEGA was shooting for a "cool kid" image. Most of the good games you could get on SNES with better graphics and sound, and other than SANIC it didn't really have very many exclusives that stood the test of time.

The only reason Genesis became popular was because of its autistic advertising methods and it's the being poor kid's choice of console. Every nigga in the hood had a Genesis.

Threadly reminder: the Genesis wasn't supposed to compete with the SNES, it was designed to compete with the NES and it blew it out of the fucking water to the point where Nintendo HAD to make a response in the form of the SNES.

At the end of the day, like the Genesis or don't: it is the catalyst for what is probably the second best generation in gaming (first best if you really love 2D games more than 3D games).

I don't know, might be worth it.

All I'm really hearing is a bass boost, which I'm indifferent to.

Still if you like what you're hearing maybe go with it. For me the twang of the Model 1 Genesis sounds just right, but mostly because I played it a lot as a kid.

Except for the fact that the ads couldn't shut up about how much better it was than the Super Nintendo. Fun fact: Nintendo rarely had to ever stoop to the level of calling out Sega

If you're talking about the "Genesis does what Nintendon't" ads, that was about the NES, not the SNES.

All those trash talking ads were about the NES. There may have been some later ones about the SNES too, but if anything that was just continuing a marketing style that worked.

So in other words they did end up stooping to the same level?

Nintendo's too busy trying to get casuals and 3rd parties to crawl back to call anyone out.

The Genesis' library is almost as good as the Snes' if you count Sega CD games, but on it's own it really can't compare. One of it's main selling point when it was out was really good arcade ports, or at least better ones than the NES and SNES had, but when MAME came along that feature sort of became moot.

Honestly, I'm not aware of any ads by Nintendo that tried to shit on Sega but I figure there must have been at least one such response to all of Sega's autism. Throughout the Genesis' competing with the NES and SNES, at least as far as Sega of North America was concerned, Sega was like some try-hard kid on the school yard who was trying to start beef with somebody more popular than he was in order to make a name for himself and the cool kid's response was usually only just a "dude, what's your problem?" Sega of Japan sometimes made a few shots at the competition, but it was never as autistic. For the most part they focused on advertising individual products. Plus, most of their profits came from the arcades at the time, where they dominated and didn't fear competition from Nintendo.

Most of the Sega vs Nintendo bullshit during the Genesis/SNES era was Sega of North America's advertising and shilling at work in the gaming press. Going by Nintendo's own advertising from the SNES up to the 64, you'd think they didn't even know Sega existed and this was especially the case in Japan where the Genesis wasn't as popular with Japanese consumers as it was with Americans. Japs liked the Saturn better than the Genesis and for good reason, the Saturn was a way better system, especially for Japanese consumers, than the Genesis and it had a marketing campaign in Japan that actually focused on advertising games, not an image.

For every good game the genesis has: the SNES has seven.

I wonder why the nips liked it better. And they got a fuckton of cool games. It sucks because I know in my heart, if any of the more or less forgotten IPs got a sequel, they'd probably suck. Burning Rangers in particular, a lot of fun on Saturn, but if they tried to make an HD version, it's probably going to look like balls and play even worse.

I feel like you just ended up glossing over what the point of my initial post was: The Genesis was designed to compete with the NES, which it did expertly in America, causing Nintendo to respond with the SNES and leading to a great generation of gaming.

Except the "cool kid" was a bully who tried to preemptively kill any competition, you want to see someone who wasn't "autistic", go see the turbo grafx.

Arcades/Sega

Genesis tended to have better versions of multiplatform games, even with a worse sound chip. For example there was:

Earthworm Jim 1 and 2
Mega Turrican
Barkley Shut Up and Jam
Lion King
Battletoads
and Mortal Kombat

And that last one was uncensored. It's important to note that Genesis games were not subject to the tyranical censorship policies of Nintendo. When Maniac Mansion was ported to the NES: there was almost an easter egg that said "Nintendo is a Jealous God" because of the numerous delays that were made to put the dev team through hell although it's pretty apt to describe Nintendo throughout its existence (it's war on video rental stores comes to mind).

I know why the nips liked it better. I like it as much as I like the N64, and a little more than PSX since PSX got shitty fighter ports in comparison. Not to mention there aren't any more games like Dragon Force. It's a dumb little thing, but I really liked it's style and control over battles.

Also worth noting that the SNES version of the first Mortal Kombat didn't even play accurately to the arcade, where as the Genesis version did.

Also the Sega CD version is as close to the arcade as you can get on a console.

Mind you Midway fixed this with MK2 which played much better. In the case of MK2 the better version was on SNES arguably (though the 32x version is superior even to that, but still fuck the 32x as anything other than a novelty).

Mind you, all of this means nothing today given the best way to play both games is on MAME, but I was recently comparing them and thought it was interesting.

Everyone praises SoA's marketing in the Genesis era, but Segata Sanshiro's ads are some of the best marketing of all time. If they aired that shit in America the Saturn never would have failed.

Didn't mortal kombat have extra things the arcade version didn't?

Praising the Genesis for having the better version of mortal kombat is the equivalent of praising the 360 for having the better version of CoD. That shit was normalfag/nigger bait, I hated it as a kid.
Disclaimer: I have a Genesis.

How pozzed up you you fucking faggot.

I'm not aware of anything extra. Could be wrong though.

Yes, as a machine for porting Sega's and other people's awesome arcade titles to be played in the living room, it was great, at least for the time before emulation on computers. But if you were looking for really good single player console experiences, the SNES was the choice console.

The Genesis did give me one of my favorite RPG's, Phantasy Star IV ,though, so that's a point in its favor. I also loved playing Paperboy on it back in the day and that one platformer with the rocket Possum in the knight armor that I can't remember the name of. But for me the Saturn and Dreamcast show what Sega was really capable of back then. The Genesis is overrated by Americans only because it represents the height of Sega's popularity in the States, a popularity that console didn't even achieve in Japan.

By the time the Saturn came out, there was a huge difference in perspective between Sega of America and Sega of Japan to the point where there was actually a kind of internal rivalry between the two branches. You can see some hints of this in how the Saturn was marketed in both countries and how Sega of America painted the Saturn an edgy Genesis black instead of the standard Japanese model which was white with colorful buttons, not too dissimilar from Dreamcast that came after it.

Genesis sound > SNES sound

They did. The whole PLAY IT LOUD marketing campaign was Nintendo trying to one-up Sega at being extreme and in your face.

It's also why it felt really lame and inauthentic compared to Sega, who were already trying to look cool from the start. Also this

Screw it I'll be that guy…

I owned a 32x and it was fucking awesome. If only they had picked it or the Saturn things may have been different.

But yeah the 32x had soooo much untapped potential.

Rocket Knight Adventures, should you ever get nostalgic and want to look it up.

I also played a lot of that when I was a kid.

Don't forget Europeans who, if they did own a console, mostly grew up with the Master System because of how Nintendo and Mattel royally fucked up the NES release over there.

Once the Mega Drive came out the millions of Master System owners basically migrated over to it.

That was Japan's doing, along with shit like making Nights instead of Sonic the new mascot for Sega and the surprise early launch in May 1995. By the time the Saturn launched, they completely were up Sega America's and dismantling all the success Tom Kalinske brought them with the Genesis. By 1996, the staff who made the Genesis popular in America had left Sega and for good reason.

pic related

I'd kill to see a modern company make a 32xCD game today that isn't some FMV shit. It's a crying shame the only games we got that used the whole of the Genesis' capabilities was shitty FMV games.

Pier Solar gives me hope, but until then it's mostly just wasted potential.

That was because Nintendo thought they were too good for everyone. In addition to never taking their competition head on, they also had a distant relationship with the press even back then. They also never took additional avenues with sponsorships and advertising. Case in point: Go back and watch Nick Arcade, and notice how not one first party Nintendo game was on that show, while there tons of Sega and even Neo Geo games

Wasn't NiGHTS largely Yuji Naka's pet project? And of course with his success with Sonic they'd let him do whatever he wanted. Didn't he make the creators of Sonic X-Treme start over when he saw them using the NiGHTS engine for it?

You and me both…32x CD was something ALOT of us were desperately curious about… But alas it never happened.

Except for that one or two FMV crap.

I'd honestly love to see Sega release a good retro console that combined all the Genesis features and add-on parts…with a download service or something if only to see what could have been.

Mind you Sega did endorse a cheap Chinese rip off but is sucks ass.

What are some good games from the 16 bit era asides from fighters and RPGs? I still have a genesis and some games but neither Genesis or SNES interested me.

If you're into shooters the thunder force series is awesome. The Genesis in general had a huge amount of amazing shooter games.

Pretty much.

Sega basically thought that since Nights had that same art deco design of early Sonic and that it involved speed it should've been their front running mascot, despite the fact that selling a purple androgynous dream wizard as being "cool" to Americans isn't the same thing as marketing as a wiseacre hedgehog who basically served as the Bugs Bunny to Mario's Mickey Mouse.

SoA fought hard against this, but by this point Japan was overriding everything they did, including fucking over the development of Sonic Xtreme.

I remember being to poor for a N64 so I had a Genesis until I got one. Good times. One of my favorite game consoles.

My nig

The CPU of the Genesis was literally more than twice as fast as the SNES, not even taking into account "blast processing" tricks.

Here's a chart some user made awhile back that has a lot of great SNES games. As for the Genesis, Herzog Zwei, Ristar, Rocket Knight Adventures, Streets of Rage II, and all the Sonic games are great places to start.

there's a lot of terrible games and inferior versions on this chart

take it with a grain of salt, go for the most obvious games first.

:^)

its more about the efficiency of a clock cycle than how fast a clock cycle is completed.

Sega of Japan was and possibly still is one of the most retardedly run companies in the industry and I'm genuinely angry at their fucking mismanagement. Nowadays Konami is the absolute dogshit worst, followed by Capcom, with Sega in third. Some of the companies with the greatest legacies, most promising and potentially dope IPs, and the best underappreciated talent and they mismanage, underfund, screw up, kill franchises, lay off or push away talent, fuck fans, ruin or cancel games, etc etc. These are the companies I truly hate most of all because it is the FILTHY KIKES at the top who turn all that unbelievable potential into shit. Fuck them.

Sega also took advantage of video game rentals because unlike Nintendo, they needed them and so they worked out a good deal with blockbuster. If you look at some blockbuster commercials from the time, the games shown on the racks in the background are often Sega games, which was blockbuster's way of saying fuck you to Nintendo.

The early release date was not a good thing, but I don't see the problem with Sega of Japan's direction with the Saturn. Sega of Japan knew exactly what kind of console they wanted to sell and to whom and games like Nights, Panzer Dragoon & Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III, Virtua Fighter, Burning Ranger all show what exactly the kind of game system Sega of Japan wanted the Saturn to be. The marketing of the Saturn in Japan was consistent to this end as well. While the early release was a bad decision on SoJ's part, it was never something that killed the Saturn as the Saturn did just fine in the Japanese market and was probably Sega's most popular console there.

Don't forget the Genny had a higher horizontal resolution (320 pixels wide compared to SNES 256)

Yes, hence why many Genesis games has fast scrolling games like shmups where as SNES slowed down with lot of them early on.

It's all about how you use it. There are tons of multiplat games out there where the Genesis music wipes the floor with the SNES version.

Except it was Sega of America that killed Sega

Wow faggot, are you serious? Just accept that the SNES, released a year after the Genesis, was a slow piece of shit that was less than twice as fast as the Genesis. Better in every other way sure but you can tell by comparing their game libraries that Genesis excelled at sheer speed. Too bad for Sega that Nintendo kicked their ass by other strengths.

yeah, simpler games could do just fine with it.

The Saturn was also a tremendous console that was crippled in America by SoA's mismanagement. Killer games were neglected by SoA simply for being too Japanese, ignorant of how Americans embraced things that were "too Japanese" in the past.

Also reminder Sonic 2 2 player mode managed 480i.

I find it interesting at least.

what
the genesis is the best console of all time. I'm just stating facts. Take your insecure asshurt elsewhere, nigger

This is the best, prove me wrong nigger nigger

Not in America they didn't, I mean I love the Saturn and all of those games, but if you look at how they marketed it in America compared to Japan it's no wonder it flopped here.

Both of you are fucking retarded. Read the book I posted here or any interview with Tom Kalinske or any Sega of America employee that was there from 1990 to 1996. Japan fucked up most of what they did.

Of course Bernie Stollar didn't help things either, but he was part of the problem.

Yes, because RPGs were somehow impsible to do on Genesis.

The Sega Saturn was better

^ A U T I S M ^

Playstation had a good library, but that whole generation was awkward. Plus Sony systems always have the most shovelware (well at least until Microsoft joined).

Crime of the century this didn't come out and all we got was the shitty SNES version

RPGs are about as simple as games get when it comes to processing. Your book is shit, I've sold a few copies at my store and refuse to stock it in the future. You don't know what you're talking about.

Nice refutation faggot.

You showed me faggot.

Come back when you've done your research.

goes triple for you, you uneducated nigger who believes shit the indie clique tells them. Try talking to the people involved instead of some third party that profits from lying to you.

Sony only had one system before Microsoft joined. Unless you want to count the one year or whatever when the PS2 was out but the Xbox wasn't. Besides, PC has always had the most shovelware, at least since the 2600 died.

All your post is saying is that the N64 had a small library with little third party support. No shit.

>>>/4chan/

Really wish he was still doing video game music. So much talent wasted on crappy ports and licensed garbage like Silver Surfer for the NES.

So what Genesis/MegaDrive games are you fags getting down on today then?

I fucking with Rocket Knight Adventures right now.

Shining force II, for some reason this is one of the few games i replace every few years.

Jesus Christ, this thread is full of butt hurt Nintendrones. Sega of America wasn't staffed by communists and tried to compete in the American market. Shocker.

So never even read the book, glad to know.

Keep going back to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I didn't have Sonic 3 when I was a kid, only Sonic & Knuckles. They came out around the same time and my parents said I could only get one, so I chose the one with Lock-On, because that was the coolest shit.

In 2006 my friend gives me his copy of Sonic 3, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles blew my mind, as one of the only non-rpgs from that era that seemed to have as much content as a then-modern game. Since then, games have had less and less content, making Sonic 3 & Knuckles only better by comparison. A leisurely playthrough with one character might take me about five hours, but with three (or four, depending on how you count) characters, that's like four times the length of an Uncharted game.

Sonic CD is pretty cool too, but I never had a Sega CD, and never got heavily into the game until the HD rerelease. Love how it rewards exploration more than the rest of the series, and has lots of little rewards for time trials and stuff. Gives it a lot more value than Sonic 2, despite Sonic 2 having incredibly tight gameplay and level design. Those little extra bits of content just go a long way.

Also, ToeJam and Earl. Have to play that and the sequel with every friend who comes over. Though to this day I've never beaten the first one.

So *you

As a Holla Forumsnician who spergs in old hardware, the thing about clock efficiency's true, but it's hard to reach with the 5A22 mostly due to the fact that unless you are an assembly wizard you're fucked six ways from Sunday.

To put it in perspective, there's a lot of early IBM PC games that weren't even playable years later when the PC/AT came out. At first you'd think it's clock speed, so you'd think "okay, let's just slow the 286 down to 4 MHz or so, that's close enough to the 8088, right?" Nope, because a 286 was so clock efficient that running it at 4 MHz was the equivalent of running the 8088 at 8 MHz.

If anything, the Mega Drive's a gimped version of Sega's late 80s arcade boards and aged like yogurt, and the SNES is mostly what the Amiga should have evolved toward after a while.

Thunder Force 4
MUSHA
Gley Lancer
Battle Mania Daiginjou

Genesis SHMUPS are fun.

SEGA (Service Games) was founded by Jews, in Hawaii, and hasn't been an independent company since the 70s, they are worse than Commies, they're straight up kikes wearing the mask of the samurai

No matter how bullshit difficult it is, I always give Comix Zone a whirl every month or so.

I think it's telling when David Rosen happened to retire in 1996, right as things started going shit for Sega.

Who gives a shit really? If Sega didn't enter the console market, video games for adults would have never been a thing or stayed in arcades only. Sega is the one who changed that.

Also as far as Sega's edgy marketing, I enjoyed that stuff. Over half that stuff it released today would have triggered the shit out of SJWs.

Also does SNES have a better beat-em up than Streets of Rage 2, because I seriously doubt it.

It doesn't, but Final Fights 2 and 3 were decent.

Shlomo pls

Everyone who owned a SEGA console except for SEGA fanboys forget SEGA even existed after Sony stepped up and did pretty much what they were doing except better and more successfully

idk, I completely forgot about the Saturn when the PS1 came out, and I wasn't even aware of the 32X in the first place (knew one guy with a Sega CD though), but the Dreamcast was a big deal when it came out. It beat the shit out of the N64 and PS1. Too bad it got steamrolled by the PS2 a year later. But I still bought one even after the PS2 came out because I still saw some cool games hitting the shelves plus prices were dropping fast

So you think history would have been the same if Sega didn't kick Nintendo in the balls by releasing Mortal Komb uncensored? I'm sorry, I don't give a shit about Sega history trivia, Nintendo are far bigger kikes through their actions alone and how they keep trying to minimize their audience to kiddy fare. If that path would have been unimpeded, shit would be very different than it is now.

Nice damage control Goldstein
SEGA fucking lost it with the Saturn, they were bleeding money on a failing handheld line getting its ass beat by the GameBoy and had a console nobody knew how to produce games for, they lost their so-called "Adult edge" and tried taking Nintendos family-friendly audience but failed miserably, they're nothing but cut-rate kikes

Sega was kicking Nintendo's ass for a good deal there. The SNES is what you owned if you were a faggot with over-protective parents. I'm not saying they didn't lose it by the next generation, but Nintendo became second (and third!) banana as well and was mainly propped up by hand helds.

Wait, when did Nintendo become third banana? Did Gamecube sell less than the original Xbox? Because last gen Nintendo did so well the other two stopped even trying to compete with them and just competed against each other for second place. And I know Wii U underperformed but it must be doing better than Xbone, right?

Also if Sega were bigger kikes than Nintendo, then how come SNES wasn't backwards compatible like the Genesis was?

Yes.

N64 lost to Playstation. Gamecube was behind both PlayStation 2 and X-Box. Nintendo only gained 1st place again by convincing moms that a gaming console was a cool exercise machine. That's now over.

Really debatable. If we're talking content-wise, no. HARD no. Most games are really short, but have that arcade brutality you will die, frequently to bullshit beyond your control or to sequences that require memorization that requires you to spend countless hours to plow through or countless quarters, as the designers originally intended. I mean, Castelvania, itself, takes like an hour and a half to beat once you know what you're doing.

Seriously, if you didn't live through that era, I'd suggest watching the AVGN to get an idea of the kind of sucker punches old games would pull non-stop.

The whole adult edge was mostly Sega of America's creation. Sega of Japan was hardly any different than Nintendo in its general direction: kawaii characters, bright colors, plenty of weeb shit, etc. The Saturn bombed in the USA because Sega of America lost the faith of developers through twenty different kinds of Genesis and Genesis add-ons nonsense (which don't get it twisted, had a lot to do with mismanagement on Sega of America's part just as well if not more than Sega of Japan) and were unwilling to promote the Saturn's good library of Japanese games properly because they were committed to an unsustainable image of a SEGA that relied on Western developer support but which had never been the SEGA that Sega of Japan was going for. Sega of America employees also became disconnected from American consumers and weren't paying enough attention to the trends of Sony and Nintendo, particularly the growing mainstream popularity of distinctly Japanese style games. Sega of Japan and Nintendo as a whole had more in common than Sega of Japan did with Sega of America.

It depends what you like. If you like intense action games, arcade ports, multiplayer stuff, etc. then the Genesis is the system for you. If you like Platformers, Single player games, and RPGs, then the SNES is the system for you.

Soundchip depends on how it's used really. The Genesis sound chip and general set up is a lot more versatile than what the SNES has. But if the developer can't make a good driver for it then it's going to sound awful.

Um, the Japanese Saturn was originally Gray with blue Start buttons and gray controller buttons. It was pretty bland looking, like a piece of educational hardware. The White one was the later revision.

Only partial of which was the Sega CD. 32X was all the Japs idea.

That was Bernie Stollar's doing. Everyone who replaced Kalinke didn't have a clue as to what games to bring over, and usually blocked out really Jap games on the Saturn. At the same time, some of those would never turn a profit over, like Nights, which also a Jap idea to sell over here in place of Sonic.

How about no. Everyone knows that nigger sucks at video games and bullshits through them.

Perfect example of Genesis beating the SNES in sound. Thunder Spirits/Thunder Force III

Great conversions and multiplats like Street Fighter II, Final Fight CD, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Road Rash, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, and NBA Jam, a lot of which played worse or were entirely unavailable on Nintendo. After that, you had exclusives like Streets of Rage 2, Snatcher, the Phantasy Star trilogy, Revenge of Shinobi, the best 16-bit Castlevania, Out Run, and Castle of Illusion, I'm probably leaving some stuff out of that.

Even 32X had Chaotix, Virtua Racing, After Burner II, Space Harrier.

Their advertising for Earthbound and Yoshi's Island (as embedded) lives in infamy. They tried to one-up the contemporary taste of Sega's marketing and the result was embarrassing.

Sega won out on fifth-gen sales in the end outside of Japan because Nintendo was being reactive to their aggressive marketing. Rather than censoring games outright, Sega made their own rating system before the ESRB was established. Their runaway success with their uncensored version of Mortal Kombat outselling the SNES conversion three-to-one was so much that Nintendo president Howard Lincoln drummed up some hearings in the US senate over a Sega CD game with mild violence.

The resulting moral panic brought up sales of Night Trap and established with adults of the time an image of computer games as toys. Nintendo's anti-competitive greed set the medium back years and it's clear now that their MO hasn't changed one bit.

NHL '94, Terminator, and Spider-Man, all on Sega CD

That's why you get back at it and try again. This is what happens when we have people who don't follow any sports, they can't seen to process the idea of losing, that their life isn't some major motion picture where everything works out perfectly in the end.

You forgot the best Contra.

A good example is Robocop vs. Terminator, which was probably one of the bloodiest 16 bit games ever on Genesis, while I'm sure the SNES version was pussified.

My chum

I fuggin loved that game as a kid, one of the goriest for sure.

I have never finished it, this playthrough is pretty schway.

Sega of America headed most of the development of the 32X. Pretty much everything about the final product of the 32X was a Sega of America creation. SoJ originally suggested a new Genesis console, SoA suggested an add-on because it'd be quicker and easier to make and they thought it wouldn't have to compete with the Saturn. Of course both companies should have realized that the Genesis was good enough after the Sega CD and just left it alone to focus on the Saturn.

Bernie was only continuing what Kalinske did before him. Kalinske sold uncensored Mortal Kombat to hordes of normalfags, not weebshit or a unique line of Japanese developed IP's whose fanboys could sustain the company through dark times (like Nintendo successfully did)

Most of the kinds of games on Sega Saturn could also be found on the N64 and Playstation and they did very well on those consoles. Nights into Dreams had all the makings of a perfect response to Mario 64. After Final Fantasy VII was released, there was no reason whatsoever to not actively promote Panzer Dragoon Saga as a response to it.

SEGA of America was still clinging to Kalinske's vision for the company and was unwilling to take notice of a changing American market and this was what really did the Saturn in and forced the early development of the Dreamcast. Tom's just mad that Sega of Japan didn't buy his shitty idea for a collaboration with Sony and goes around talking shit. Fuck him.

The N64 and Gamecube lost to the PS1 and PS2 respectively, Wii was the top seller of its generation, WiiU is currently outselling the Xbone but is being outsold by the PS4

Now if we include handhelds, Nintendos strength, then the 3DS is currently the best selling console this gen at 60 million sold, the original DS sold about 155 million, tying it with the PS2 as the best selling consoles of all time, and the entirety of the GameBoy line if we only include devices with full backwards compatibility have sold together 200 million consoles

Look, I grew up with a Mega-Drive, but I don't have such rose-tinted nostalgia goggles as to deny the SNES was easily superior.

It really depends on what kind of games you prefer. SNES was better for RPG/adventure but the Genesis easily beats it when it comes to arcade and fast paced action games.

Which ONLY happened because nintendo was trying to compete with the Sega CD. Had Sega just been background noise like th turbo grafx, they would've never tried to make a SNES CD, and they would have never asked sony to make it.

In the sense it could display more colors and had support for more digital sound channels.

When it comes to CPU power the Genesis smokes the SNES easily. Because of that the Genesis is able to do things like mode 7 effects through software as well as render polygons at a playable speed without the need of any enhancement chips.

My nigga. One of the best Shmups on the system and didn't take itself seriously at all, I swear that game is made out of pure unadulterated fun. Such a shame it never made it out of Japan, more people need to know about it.

In terms of console sales? Yes. Game sales? Hell no. The Wii was a Wii Fitness machine for people who didn't even like games. If it wasn't for that dumb luck then they would have been a distant 3rd place.

People go on about how Genesis was the last good Sega console before they started to fuck everything up, but the same could be said of the Super Nintendo.

The CPU ain't the problem, though. Well, sorta, but the bigger problem is the RAM speed used. There's no reason to go any faster on the CPU in a lot of cases because the DRAM was too slow. The 68k was a nice beast, but you also have to keep in mind that the Genesis could only have 64 colors on display. The SNES could have 256, and comparatively, the Genesis could only generate 512 colors without needing flickering, where the SNES could display 32k different colors. Had the Ricoh not been bound to slower RAM, the SNES would have hands down been better, rather than only better on some than others. So if you design a shmup with those color restraints in mind and not fuck up the sound, you'll probably get better performance. Comparatively, the games will probably look nicer on a SNES with more varied colors available.

How is using dedicated hardware a bad thing? That's like saying "See, my Intel can do graphics in software mode!" Compared to a dedicated graphics card, that's kinda dumb. The SNES and N64 having extra hardware in the carts is pretty smart, actually.

Thats why i own 2 of them, fucking love those things. Never had any problems either.

Kalinske had nothing to do with Mortal Kombat other than Sega of America licensing the games and giving them their proper ratings. MK1 and 2 were also uncensored on IBM PC because that was a relatively open platform, Sega on the other hand knew allowing MK1 to come to Genesis uncensored was key to cultivating an image of Nintendo as a soccer mom-pandering outfit, and they played right into it.

I think if they had played their cards right with Sega CD, marketing that as aggressively as Genesis to both retailers and developers, Nintendo might have capitulated. Even individually colored Game Boys wouldn't have been able to save them from investment in a rotting baseball franchise and third parties jumping ship to a platform where publishing games is significantly cheaper and without having to cut out animated blood or religious references.

That would've been responsive to Square. Marketing another game aggressively, like Policenauts, Suikoden, or Virtual On would've been a better idea. Firing Yuji Naka ten years early would've also been a good move on their part, he was the one that put the kibosh on a proper Sonic game on Saturn.

While I'm sad over no decent Sonic game on Saturn, I thought Yuji Naka was also behind Burning Rangers. While we could have gone without it, it's still a fun game and I play it every so often.

If a game was made for both the Genesis and the SNES, then chances were that the good version was the Genesis.

I believe it had to with the Genesis having better overall hardware.
Oh, but the SNES had all those "mode 7" effects (i.e. rotating and zooming) and all those transparency layers which made everything look great. The sound of the SNES allowed you to have more variety.

I can't help on thinking about the Wii here.

Megaman Soccer is not a good game.
Not sure if Super Adventure Island is any better than Aventure Island 2 & 3 for the NES.

It was made in the era when the only playable games on the PC were RPG and you had to go to the arcade machines to play fun games with your buddies. It had a huge color palate, high framerate, built like a tank, and could replicate most 2D arcade games to be played at home. Every video game console that came after this is nothing but uncreative trash.

During the sixth generation only.

3rd gen:
NES>SMS

4th:
SNES>GEN

5th
PS1>N64>Saturn

6th
PS2>Xbox>GC>DC

7th
Wii>PS3>X360

Not counting 8th because we're in it (it's currently PS4>WiiU>XONE anyway). Nintendo has no competition in handhelds, which is a significant part of their earnings (Pokemon alone could allow them to survive).

Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

Failure as a console

Atari is unplayable shit.

Next you're going to tell me you were a Jag-fag.

I would say that was the gamecube, not the snes. They did almost everything right, but their treatment of third party devs(in particular the guys who made GTA) came back to haunt them, and the Mini dvds made it difficult to put games on there.

first:
You don't get to ignore part of the system just because you're too poor to have one.

No 32X was Japan's idea and SOA had no choice but to sell it.

The N64 is really where Nintendo fucked. Look at how many third parties jumped ship from Nintendo to Sony in that time.

Problem with Genesis is that for every "Streets or Rage II" "Gunstar Heroes" or "Sonic 3" there were 10 garbage tier games that didn't even try to take advantage of the hardware.

Case in point, 9/10 games had fucking terrible music, worse than NES even though the Genesis sound chip is incredible.

Unfortunately the SNES had many more iconic/better titles but the few Genesis classics are way better

Now I will post some great sounding Genesis soundtracks.

My favorite. Stil sound fresh.

The composer of this OST made his own soundship and driver for this game. Fucking based

You're not wrong, but the thing about the genesis is most people bought it's iconic titles(or just stuck with sports games, another strength of the genesis at the time, vid related). Can't really say that about snes, many of it's greats were just ignored while people just stuck to the familiar games like Mario or zelda, or the GRAFX games like F-zero and Star Fox.

More.

nope, just more jap rpgs, thats it

"At the Winter Consumer Electronics Show in January 1994, Sega of America research and development head Joe Miller took a phone call from Nakayama, in which Nakayama stressed the importance of coming up with a quick response to the Jaguar. Included on this call were Bayless, Sega hardware team head Hideki Sato, and Sega of America vice president of technology Marty Franz. One potential idea for this came from a concept from Sega of Japan, later known as "Project Jupiter", an entirely new independent console.[3] Project Jupiter was initially slated to be a new version of the Genesis, with an upgraded color palette and a lower cost than the upcoming Saturn, as well as with some limited 3D capabilities thanks to integration of ideas from the development of the Sega Virtua Processor chip. Miller suggested an alternative strategy, citing concerns with releasing a new console with no previous design specifications within six to nine months.[6] According to former Sega of America producer Michael Latham, Miller said, "Oh, that's just a horrible idea. If all you're going to do is enhance the system, you should make it an add-on. If it's a new system with legitimate new software, great. But if the only thing it does is double the colors…."[7] Miller, however, insists that the decision was made collectively to talk about alternative solutions. One idea was to leverage the existing Genesis as a way to keep from alienating Sega customers, who would otherwise be required to discard their Genesis systems entirely to play 32-bit games, and to control the cost of the new system.[6] This would come in the form of an add-on. From these discussions, Project Jupiter was discontinued and the new add-on, codenamed "Project Mars", was advanced.[3]"

Bayless praised the potential of this system at this point, calling it "a coder's dream for the day" with its twin processors and 3D capabilities.[3] Sega of America headed up the development of the 32X, with some assistance from Sato's team at Sega of Japan. Shortages of processors due to the same 32-bit chips being used in both the 32X and the Saturn hindered the development of the 32X, as did the language barrier between the teams in Japan and the United States.[3]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32X

How do you even live user? Joe Musashi fought and beat Mecha Godzilla on his own for Christ sake.

nice imgur meme pic

Jag is Atari's Saturn. Best looking 2D, not enough 3D, and released at the wrong time. They were supposed to sell Jag 2.0 a few months before N64, the prototype was more powerful than N64 and more 3D capable than PS1, but they just ran out of money I guess.

As an SNES fan, even I can say your opinion is trash.

Better yet, it was a different game.
I still love both.

That's why whenever you visit a retro games store you'll always find at least one black guy going "Aw shit nigga, Genesis was muh childhood man! Muhfuggin NBA Jam nigga!".

Nintendo have always been dicks to 3rd party game developers and anyone who tries to go over their head. That's why they're in the mess they're in today. They're their own worst enemy.

Still better off than SEGA ended up relying so heavily on third party support

The Sega Genesis sound chip could do wonders in the right hands

I didn't say using dedicated hardware was a bad thing. I said the Genesis had a far superior CPU that in the end made it able to do some of those dedicated effects in software which leveled the playing field and made some of those hardware effects not as big of a deal. In some ways it can actually do certain mode 7 effects better.

For example the Scaling Bowser in Super Mario world is on a solid black background, because Bowser is the background layer there, not a sprite. The Genesis can actually do sprite scaling with CPU brute force without sacrificing background objects.

It's CPU is powerful enough to give the Super FX chips a run for their money. Having the extra chips in the cartridge isn't something specific to Nintendo hardware. The Genesis can do it as can the Master System, NES, PC-Engine, etc. But due to the Genesis already having a leg up on the SNES in CPU power, when an actual add-on chip is used on the Genesis, such as with Virtua Racing, it blows the SNES out of the water in terms of performance.

As for colors, that is one of the true areas the SNES is superior. But the worse part of it isn't the master palette of 512 colors. Remember the PC-Engine used that same master palette but it could have 512 onscreen colors due to it having 32 sub-palettes in CRAM for onscreen colors. The SNES only has 16 resulting in 256 max colors. In many cases the PC-Engine looks just as colorful as the SNES with only 512 colors in it's master palette.

That said, the Genesis has quite a few tricks up it's sleeve to increase the colors beyond flickering and dithering. You can exploit Vertical Interrupts to do a mid-frame palette swap to change colors. The Sonic Games do this in their water levels. Another is the use of Shadow and Highlight mode, These modes will brighten or darken colors without costing additional sub-palette entries. It can be used to display colors that are technically not in the 512 color master palette. If you exploit both of those you can in theory get 1500 unique on screen colors.