OK, putting the godawful story to one side...

OK, putting the godawful story to one side, how the hell could did a game that had the same level designer as Fusion and Zero Mission manage to be more linear than both those games? I mean, all the interviews on this game had led me to believe that the Nintendo staff working on this game had significantly more creative control than the Team Ninja staff. How did this game end up worse gameplay wise than its predecessors despite this style of game being perfected already? How did the series' own creators manage to get upstaged by what was a team of no name m80s in Texas (even in spite some of the backtracking issues the Prime games had in mind)? Was it budget? Executive meddling? General retardation? Were they past their prime? I don't understand what the fuck happened here.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/5XWfU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yes.

Prime was succesfully created by Juggalos for Juggalos, thus it made every bit of the money Nintendo intented it to make, while Other M was Nintendo shouting YOLO and succesfully throwing a bone to struggling single-A Japanese studio, thus riding the exact gamble they intended it to ride.

Same thing they did to Platinum with Star Fox 0 and even Bayonetta 2.

Metroid Fusion was once seen as the most linear entry in the series. It baffles me how Other M managed to top it considerably. It's like it wasn't even trying to be a Metroid game.

At least it had good graphics, it looked like a 2006-08 PS3 game.

What are you even talking about?. Juggalo? Team Ninja single-A?
Please leave Holla Forums and nevee come again

They shit the bed. Do we really need to examine why they shit the bed? At the end of the day, they still shit the bed.

If memory serves, Sakamoto was given way too much control, to the point he was even overriding logical decisions Team Ninja was making, such as forcing them to use Wiimote only when they had wanted to have the nunchuck as well (considering 3D games benefit from analog sticks). Granted, I'm not sure how much of the blame itself goes to Ninja Theory, but it wouldn't surprise me if, with a lack of people to keep him in check, Sakamoto deserves most of it.

There is nothing wrong with Other M. Holla Forums just decided to be anti hipster contrarian for once and hate it along with the rest of the world.
Ok then, who here likes it besides me?

I liked it. It needed better writing and direction (i.e. proper set-up and delivery of yet-another-Ridley and the post-trauma PTSD and the fact that Ridley was the creature that killed her family and entire colony way back when) but I enjoyed the gameplay even with the fiddly "3D movement with a d-pad" and the "point the remote at the screen for missiles" bullshit.

It was an interesting take on doing a 3D Metroid game but it felt too much like Fusion (and basically was, from plot to delivery) and not enough like Super.

Sakamoto needs to go. He Lucas'd the shit out of Metroid. :(

Why is Samus shitting herself?

You know, I've never noticed that before.

I mean, fuck, there's an entire load bulging out the bottom of her knickers.

Here's some eye-bleach.

Bless you user. That seemed fair.

Oh god damn it.

I think the problem at heart of Metroid's downfall is a culture cultivated in Nintendo's internal development where arrogant developers get the notion in their heads that the only reason they should have to make a game is if it does something new to challenge themselves. That's why, ever since the Gamecube and GBA, we have continually gotten games that spit in the face of their respective franchises. Other M is just a continuation of this general trend.

If you just want to fuck around, go into the freeware scene. A commercial developer should try to serve its customers.

Oh no, you don't get to play that card with this game. This game fucked up everything related to Metroid and wasn't even a good Metroid game in the process.

Shitty management will make even a good studio turn out shit.

Either that or they think it's not worth making a new game unless it does something 'new', even if it's not a good idea. I think they took the wrong lesson from the Wii- that gimmicks sell games, not quality. Not hard to blame them given it sold like crack, but you'd think they'd realise by now it was lightning in a bottle.

If you look at the majority of nintendo interviews this is the vibe you get, especially the time when shiggy said 'i could make halo!'. It bet everyone who read that thinking PROVE IT when he said that, and I fucking hate halo.

I thought you were fucking joking about the kind of artistic smear effect going on and then I looked closer.

Hi Bob. Going to say we're sexist for not liking it are we?

This isn't the only work he's done with samus in it.

I'm half-certain it's Sakamoto behind that stuff since Samus is crying and pissing herself literally at the slightest provocation

oh god

STAHP

Scatfags are the worst.
more?

Recent censorship and such aside, I'd say this has been the biggest problem with Nintendo the past, I dunno, ten years. They think every game has to do something new, even if the new thing isn't an improvement. For example, if you ask me, with the exception of pointing at the screen to aim, not a single Wii game was improved by waggle in any way. But they stuck it into everything anyway.

Now, up to the N64, always doing something new made sense. With the SNES, there was just plain a lot of room to do games better, since nobody had really perfected anything at all in the 8-bit days. Plus the generally better hardware allowed for new 2D gaming concepts that the NES just never could have really done. And with the N64, there was obviously going 3D as the new thing. But once people figured out how to make games and 3D was established, the easiest new ideas had already been done. And that's when Nintendo's rule about always doing something totally new started to backfire. Innovating just for innovation's sake is not the right strategy.

>>>/ovens/

Part of the reason that it worked back in those days was because gaming technology was sort of young and so there were plenty of places that they could innovate in.

Now, gaming technology is basically as good as it's ever going to be, there's nowhere else to go, unless you go to gimmicks. Which is why most of Nintendo's games post Gamecube have been nothing but gimmicky shit. They won't make a game unless it somehow revolutionises vidya and there's nothing left to revolutionise. For some reason they don't seem to believe in just making really good, solid games.

>>>/reddit/

While I agree for the most part, I don't really think that's entirely true. How do you explain Super Mario Galaxy 2 then?

Ignoring the unnecessary changes the first galaxy made (limiting Mario's movement, waggle, etc) it's little more than an expansion pack of levels.

But yes, this is a serious problem with Nintendo and their devs. For every new IP like Splatoon, or good new installment like Punch Out, there's shit like Star Fox Zero and the last two Paper Marios.
What really baffles me is that the fans aren't clamoring for innovation or new shit, with shit like Paper Mario or Metroid they're all literally just clamoring for more of the same. Because the games they want more of the same just got it right, while still leaving room to be expanded upon.

To go back to the Galaxy 2 example, if I recall correctly that game got just as much praise as the first one, despite being little more than an expansion pack. So it's not like fans will be hypocrites and complain that it's more of the same shit when the shit it's adding to is the good shit.

Two words: misplaced priorities. Sakamoto decided that Metroid was about Samus, so the core of the game was his fanfic-tier story and the rest of the game was just tacked on for tradition's sake. There is a cinematic mode you can unlock where it skips over all the gameplay and just shows you the cutscenes for fuck's sake. I bet if he had his way that would have been the only mode that is in the game.

For us players it's the other way around: the combat and exploration is what we actually want and the story and lore are just the icing on the cake.

I just want another damn Metroid game. It's been 7 years. There are hardly any other games in the market right now that can fill my itch.

Most of them are modeled more after SOTN than Super Metroid, and SOTN's level design is fucking garbage. They're also mostly sidescrollers. I want a good 3D Metroid game.

Is Super Metroid the place to start? I remember hearing iffy things about the first two games some time ago

Start with Zero Mission since it's a remake of the the first game and then play Super Metroid since it has a brief recap of the second game. Ignore the first two since they haven't aged well.

Might be of use to you. Also do note that Metroid II has a fan made remake in the works since Nintendo refused to give it a Zero Mission style update the way they did the first game.

Honestly strikes me that they could have done a nice 2D Metroid bundle for the DS, with Zero Mission (which also contains the original NES Metroid on it already with the GBA), an official remake of Metroid II, a port of Super Metroid, and (space permitting) Fusion all on the same cartridge. I mean, the DS proved a better place to try to port SNES games to than the GBA ever was (I'd hate to imagine what a GBA port of Chrono Trigger would have been like), and various games did see compilation ports to the system (like Mega Man X and Ys I and II, though the latter is admittedly a remake). Instead all they did with it for Metroid was Hunters and Pinball.

I guess it's time to fire up some emulators.
Thanks anons, I love yous

Metroid 2 happens to be probably my favorite of the series. The music sets the environment and tone very well and the metroids are an interesting challenge. Honestly, after running into a couple of the higher forms, it's a shame this is where they killed off most of the species.

>there will never be a playable zeta metroid in smash

It was going to be a rail shooter if Team Ninja was never involved.
archive.is/5XWfU

Might also be worth mentioning that there's some differences beyond the updated controls in Prime Trilogy compared to Prime 1 and 2 GC. While the motion aiming works quite well, some of the lores were changed to the PAL ones, certain canon effect visuals removed (I've heard they were 2D textures in the originals, which don't exactly work when the canon has a much bigger range of motion, but I could be wrong), and some bosses made less annoying in Prime 2. Still a good collection, but you'll see some mixed opinions of it compared to the originals.

The gameplay is so lackluster, yet i find myself playing it, enjoying all the ideas that COULD have been.

This is a seriously under-rated game. It's hated for not being a proper Metroid but as a pinball game it's awesome and as a Metroid game the fan service is delicious.

OK. I was being merciful before, but screw it. Sakamoto is a fucking hack. If any of you m80s love spouting that old meme that Kojima is a "movie director in a game developer's clothing", just remember that at no point did he try to make any of the Metal Gear games an on-rail shooter.

The "Metroid Prime is shit" meme needs to die.

You forget that while most games will do something new and scrap things that people and the new feature is just some gimmick. They'll also reuse like absolute cunts. Starfox Zero is Lylat wars again. Other M was some retro throwback game that seemed to look at the Prime games with disgust. The latest Mario games are sometimes comically uninspired. I used to have a shit ton of examples actually but I stopped caring about Nintendo for the most part.
Everything they come out with is so lifeless these days that it feels like it was made by apple. They are so desparate to be friendly and marketable. Christ can you imagine what would happen if they brought back F-zero. It would be like Federation Force

(You)

it's EAD and Miyamoto, so it'll be a botch director's cut of F-Zero X by Shi'nen Games doing the assets with a inaccessible control interface. (which he'll claim it's perfect)

i love to contribute due to how hopeless this thread will be but the scat booru and the former site is currently down

The hyperbolic hate for it sprouted on NeoGAF, though. So yes, you're all retarded contrarian GAF fags.

The game isn't very good but it's a decent experimental game and doesn't deserve the childish hate it got. It was never supposed to replace classic Metroid or Prime. It's just a fanservice game that shows Samus talking the whole time which is kinda interesting anyway, many cameos and fanservice bosses.

Gameplay worked fine, nothing amazing but it worked.

This is your brain on Other M.

That said, I don't think the game is fundamentally terrible. Mechanically, it's a really good 3D translation of Super Metroid's gameplay, and it's decent as an arcade-y little shooter. It's just everything else around it that brings it down.

It uses a Dpad for 3D movement. Lacks any buttons to control your aiming (like Super's diagonal aiming) which means you can't move and shoot without walking into the enemy. You can't fire missiles without having to stand still and change how you hold the controller. You can't get alternate beams you can mix and match.

It really isn't a good translation. Most of those problems alone could have been fixed with the obvious use of the nunchuk. Even if you aren't comparing it to other games, that point still stands.

Maybe I should've said "Mechanically, it's a really good 3D translation of Super Metroid's gameplay compared to the Metroid Prime games. I love the Prime games. I really do, but a couple of mechanics had to be redesigned to accommodate the first person perspective. The Space Jump, Screwattack, Plasma Beam as well as Samus' overall running speed, jump height and pace worked differently. Of course the levels and enemies were designed around this change, but still. In Other M, save for the missiles, aiming, grapple beam and stacking, Samus controls the same way she does in Super Metroid, just with the addition of a z-axis.

I do agree that Other M could've solved the problems you mentioned had it allowed players to use the Nunchuk.

You know I wouldn't have minded if the game was just using Federation Forces kicking ass, which they did do in the game. Kind of like Star Wars Republic Commando. Then we get a new Metroid game with that in mind and it doesn't even look good. What the hell is going on inside Nintendo?

This would be like raging war against Superman. What the hell were the writers thinking?

It was my first Metroid game so i kinda enjoyed it. I have yet to play another Metroid game.

Take your insulin Bob

>>>/out/

You should dedicate your weekend to playing such an amazing game.

Metroid zero mission
Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion
Prime series

Okay i'll start with Zero Mission on my PSP.

And then work my way up.