Risen

How is Risen?

The whole series is on Humble Bundle, was wondering if I should bother with it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QgrgPqGoKk4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The first 1 is ok. It showed potential but we live in the Berenstain universe where nothing good ever happens so if you must play 1, stop there.

It's basically bether Gothic
They are related I think

It is Gothic 2 with better graphics and new setting, so it is pretty decent RPG.

It is made by people who made Gothic 1-3.
Something happened, which I don't remember, and gothic 4 got made by someone else and they started working on Risen.

Risen 1 is amazing, never played the rest though.

Can wholeheartedly recommend Risen 1. If you like RPGs where stats and skill equally contribute to success you'll have a lot of fun. The DLC cancer started with 2 so I know nothing about the later titles.

Risen 1 is good even if the last quarter is rushed.
Heard 2 and 3 are shite.

Whatever you do don't take the magic route, the game will become so easy and boring you'll literally fall asleep.

Fun game OP one of the better RPG ive played.

Nice try, but no one here plays video games :^)

It's very good with some mostly minor flaws. The sequels are pure and utter shit. Extremely heavily consolized.

They are.

1 is truly excellent, 2 is an abortion that 100% ruins the combat but is almost sort of okay, just from a story and waifu standpoint, and 3 has zero reason to exist.

Meh, better than Gothic 4 at least
The sequels are fucking garbage tough

What about gothic? Is that any good?

Yes, but G1 has fucked up controls.

Game is fine the first couple of hours though.

I don't know where this meme came from. I played G1 when I was 11, without a manual and in 5 minutes I figured out the controls and could easily navigate through the inventory. The combat is also very good and requires some amount of skill, so git gud.

Are you referring for when you are stuck in the city for a quarter of the game

Can you fug the waifu?

It comes from underagefags who can't into genuine cRPGs. It's equivalent to the "miss miss miss" Morrowind meme.

Get your head out of your ass, opening a chest is a puzzle in itself.

Nice way talking out of your ass and confusing game mechanics vs control scheme, dumbshit.

Nothing meme about it. It was a moronic decision to implement the combat the way they did. Gothic 1 combat is pretty fine though.

Let's not pretend here. G2 has some pretty fucking awful controls as well. Even basic movement and attacking is awkward as hell.

It's not a meme, it's the truth.

Also, "gut gud" is not the ironclad perfect counter to criticism that you think that it is. That a game can be beaten doesn't mean that the controls are good. "Bad controls" does not mean "the game is literally unbeatable".

It is outdated but it is great RPG, at least 1 and 2.

This meme came from devs.
Gothic 1 originally had no mouse support and only after public learned about it and shitted all over piranha bytes, they added it.
Gothic have shit controls because it never originally intended to use mouse, which results is tank controls.

But yeah they just require getting used to and later cause zero problems.

Who? Sara? No.

Like Gothic I&II?

Risen I is basically a HD remake of Gothic II.

So I take it Gothic 3 is bad or something? since no one so far as mentioned it.

The first one is good and the third one is ok
The second one is an abomination

You two should apologise for losing an internet argument.

It was a combination of we want the Oblivion audience, the fact that they were forced to rush the game(it still needed another year for development) and the fact that PirahnaBytes and JoWood infighting escalated a lot. In the end we got a very buggy game with a Mass Effect 3 style ending, JoWood got the Gothic license(it was initially held by Piranha Bytes, but now they have bought it back) and Piranha Bytes went to make Risen. Now I should warn you that the people work at Pirahna Bytes, are not the same that worked there 15 years ago. I have no hopes that they will ever a good game again.

Gothic 3 can be summed up in one word: overambitious
A team that was very good at shaping a believable and charming small world set out to make a fuckhuge world. With fan expansions added some swear it's the bestest gaem evar but to me it still felt empty and soulless. Haven't gotten far in it though, maybe it becomes the best thing since sliced bread 2 minutes after I quit.

Combat got butchered, it is even more buggy than last 2, graphics looks like shit, story got quite boring.
It took everything that G1&2 was and made it worse.

I still wasted a lot of time on it as a kid.
It was still better than Oblivion.

I needed creative way to say Gothic 3 wasn't shit.

Nah mate, the graphics were gorgeous for it's time.
As I said it was the first case of we want the Skyrim audience, only with Oblivion instead of Skyrim. You see G1 and 2 were the Morrowind of Europe, as in Morrowind was very popular in America and Gothic very popular in Europe, so of course G3 would be the Oblivion of Europe. I know a lot of people that only play casual games or people that only play LoL, but even they played Gothic 1 and/or 2 when they were younger.

The music was also phenomenal, that I must admit.
youtube.com/watch?v=QgrgPqGoKk4

The rights to Gothic got sold so they made a totally not Gothic game which was better in every aspect to the old games.
The Gothic 4 game however flopped because the idiots who bought the name thought it alone was enough to get shekels, but after the first reviews rolled in everyone knew it is shit.

Also

That alone should tell you how shit both games are. The witcher is really an exception, because its based on a book character, though every faggot and his brother like it even though Geralt is a bland degenerate nigger.

Why is that so important? Are you also one of those people who complain that they can't play as a female in every RPG?

It's important because it's my game and I want to play it how I want.

The first two Gothic were like that too, are you implying they're shit?

But it's not your game, it's the developer's game. Even so you are allowed to role play a little bit. Do you want to join this faction or that faction. Are you an asshole or not-as-much-of-an-asshole? Do you pray to Innos or Beliar?

The protoganist is literally a nobody, so why wouldn't there be a option to create your character or at least customize him/her.

Female or Male don't matter as long as the character has actual personality, but gender-locking classes or main protoganists who never even had a real background is a bad decision in my opinion.

The devs Piranha Bytes had a disagreement with their publisher JoWood since they forced them to release Gothic 3 in it's bugridden, almost unplayable state (it was basically the same alpha version I played a couple months before on gamescom).
After that they tried to fix it, but JoWood tried to fuck them over yet again by trying to outscore the Gothic 3 add-on to some indian dev I think, while having a contract with Piranha Bytes to do the add-on.
In the end they split up with the Gothic brand being in JoWoods hands until 2012, where they had, thanks to the abysymal sales from G4, close their doors for fucking good.

After that the brand went to Nordic Games in 2012 with a lot of the old Piranha Bytes devs, since they got a contract for a new game with them.
That's the reason why the first Risen is so fucking close to Gothic compared to the other ones. It's the only one where the core devs behind Gothic were still in the team.
Last year Nordic Games then bought the rest of the Piranha Bytes team that was left to work on some new IP.

But you can customize his abilities completely

Or do you think appearance is the only form of customization you can have?

It was sarcasm, try asking some people if they would play a game with no character creation and a Bethestard would give the answer I just posted.

No I actually thought. They were fun at the time. But Risen came out years after other games included character creation, so there is no excuse. And op was asking about Risen not Gothic.

Oh look, it's this shitty argument. There's no character creation at the very beginning, doesn't mean there's no character creation at all, chromosome hoarder.

You have to to interact socially with people nowadays, they are just so fucking shallow and dumb.

You should watch this video. Just because you can add something to the game, it doesn't necessary mean that it's good or that it improves the experience/atmosphere.

It definitely gave some nice parts to it like LoDs being good enough to make for some nice scenery, but my god I hate these faces.
I also hate graphics that are trying to be cartoony.

But yeah I will admit I went bit too far to call them shit.

Thanks for summary.
The new IP is called ELEX.

Stop it, you are not getting anywhere.

When did these two become one. Being this retarded. bait

Thief is old as fuck though and is essentially splinter cell. And older splinter cell games are good. They are definetly not RPG so customization doesn't really apply here.
I did not watch the video

you are retarded beyond down syndrome

Will Elex be good?

Probably no, the people that work at Pirahna Bytes right now aren't the same that worked fifteen years ago. Plus that if Risen 2 and 3 are any indication, then again no.

But Risen was good and Deep Silver are kikes.

OP if you want a good (though never without flaws) I'd recommend trying the following games:

Alpha Protocol (story decisions and consequences are top notch)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R (any of then really)
Fallout 1 or 2 3 as well :^)
Dragon Age: Origins and its expansions
Fallout New Vegas
South Park Stick of Truth

Yes but 2 and 3 weren't. That's like saying that The Elder Scrolls VI might be good, because Morrowind and Dagerfall were good.

No.

Sometimes, miracles happen. What needs to be present is the willingness to change.
Do you believe your dev is willing to accept criticism?

The only decent ones in that list are stalker and fo1 and 2. The rest are complete shit. Smt series is pretty good, along with the might a magic games.

I think the first one is actually pretty decent. Characters were great and the different class options and backgrounds gave it replayability. I never bothered with the sequels.

Noooo.

Best post I've read all fucking day. 10/10

Complete shit really? You don't see any fun in any of them? Not a single game is perfect and there are good and bad things in each of them.

Risen 1 actually has the best combat in any WRPG I've played, all it needed was a stamina bar and a larger enemy variety

The first one feels like Gothic 2 with its corners cut, so still pretty good. Risen 2 is weird as fuck along with pirates and shit, and is all around worse than its predecessors. It's still playable, just don't expect anything above mediocre.

As for Risen 3, I uninstalled after about two hours of playing. Trash.

Nothing is worse than the idiots that think that expansion was in any way good.

my stomach still hurts when I remember this game. I only played 3 and it was the worst game ever I don't even know how steam let them release such a game.

The first one is really good. The second is kind of meh.