Just like: push button, make game, dude

How much of the dev process should one person take on? How high of a standard should I hold myself to? It's a monumental effort just to make a single in game object look good, let alone put an entire game together.

Just make pixelshit and rake the kikestarter bucks in

>>>/agdg/

What the fuck have you even been doing with your time?

stop posting your pepes and tugging on your weewees and fucking do shit.

Remember user, programming is the holy grail. Writing and art are much easier to get into and reach at least a level where they can make indie games. What you need is managerial skills to find people for your team.

Feels good man.

this means you do something like open 3dsmax for 15 minutes, realize you cant do shit, shut down everything and start playing videogames for the rest of the day
you don't have the patience to model or animate
I've tried the exact same thing, and after watching 3 tutorials each 30 minutes long, I was already bored and didnt keep going because I knew I couldnt make anything out of it
I let people who know about that stuff to do it. My speciality is artwork and I can keep drawing for 4-8 hours straight, anything else just wont work for me.
I have really good ideas for videogames but I'd need a team to make them happen.

If you want to make a game, find people who are specialized on different things. First find your thing. Maybe making music to the game, sounds, ambiance? Or maybe artwork, or coding
After you find your profession you can start gathering a team to make the game happen, and you need to listen to others too, not just push your own ideas.

thats exactly what ive been doing for something like 1-2. but only difference being i actually properly follow tutorials, learn new things, and gain new abilities. but i just lost my drive. and when i do get it back i lose it even quicker.

It's almost as if you actually persue an interest instead of playing video games all day you get somewhere.

Feels good lads. I still need a team, but at this point I can see myself being the head of that team.

Just keep working at it. You'll get there. Or not.

but you can write with people, no?

which program do you use for rigs and animations? can you give some helpful pointers about rigging?

Jokes on you, I can do pixelshit art but I can't code.

And nobody who can code needs an artist because they already have one.

It will take a while, but I'm sure I could make a game if I wanted to. The only really hard part would be making AI, but I'm sure there is help for that. If only classes didn't take up much of my time.

I think it's true that there's a bigger supply of artists than coders, but I wouldn't say this is always the case. I'm going to need a pixel artist myself for example.

Problem being that I'm working at a snail's pace right now for health reasons so I can't really advertise for anyone. But I have a game engine and some levels done so far.

changing from a full-timer to part-time to make vidya, better than playing shitty games or watching shitty tv shows all day.

From what I've seen the coders who get shit done either have friends who are artists or they pay someone to do it. I've done smaller paid jobs, but I rather work on a project I'd enjoy, even if I don't get paid initially.

Collaborating without pay is hell though, rarely ever works in my experience. I don't know why I still try.

False.

I can find fucking coders anywhere I look, but an artist who can do textures or even fucking sprites?

Nope.

>can write, but my writing is shitty. can't write.
>can draw only on amateur level. can't draw. Even stickmans are shitty…
>bad ideas, starting from DS gameplay ripoff and ending with point-and-click xenophilia game

Ah fuck it. Unless you are not lazy and have enough patience, you can improve everything… Or at least something.

>point-and-click xenophilia game
Godspeed, user. Wasn't meandraco working on something similar? This might be worth looking into if you haven't already.

Do they look like indie trash that zoe quinn would shit out?

Is that so? Probably time to fry up search engine.
But i think i only end up looking at art.

You are literally retarded.

I don't think so. I try to put in effort into my stuff at least.

I think you misunderstood my joke.

Can I get a link to the games if they exist. This is my thing man

Only losers and faggots use the word 'Can't user
are you a loser or a faggot?

At the very minimum you need a person dedicated to each of the following

-writing
-modeling/texturing
-coding

the only thing I can into is level design, somewhat.

To reach optimum efficiency? One
To make game? All of them

It's happened 3 times already, for fuck's sake.

I'll probably just make some shitty CYOA with pictures

12 year olds with flash can make games on newgrounds and you sick fucks can't do anything
just kill youreselves

Having a really over-active imagination has it's perks

kill yourself my man

Feels good man.

Radical.
Double radical.

it's literally impossible to make a game without spending at least four years in a game design college course.

It's pretty much a canned project. Sorry.
Maybe one day.

I'd argue that writing could be handled along with coding or modelling, as long as the person doing it knows how to write a story. There's nothing worse that the project lead sitting down one evening and shitting out high school-level script because 'lol, anyone can write!'

what anime is this
is it any good?

Trigun. Yes.

thanks
gonna go check it out now

Check out Desert Punk if you like the setting. Read the manga though, the anime pales in comparison.

whats your game idea user? tell me and ill make your game.

what the fugg

Always remember

Sleep more :^)

i will do niggas
i will make my game

You've been practicing daily and putting in long hours, right OP? Always looking up and studying resources to improve your weakest points, yeah? You certainly haven't been half-assing and procrastinating for three whole years, surely.

do it*

>Be a massive S4 League fag

If there ever was a time, If there ever was a chance, To unhook the bait I've done and wash these bloodstains from my hands

But you can learn
Get over it you chucklefucks

You can still do it user. You can outsource the spritework to other people, or learn to do it yourself. Although your going to need to be very knowledgeable on color theory and kinematics if you want good looking, animated sprites.

If you can program you can at least put together a game with placeholder textures as long as you know the hit/hurtboxes. There are plenty of 2D engines like Love2D, Unity, or Godot that would be good places to start.

I'm working on top view shooter with as many FPS mechanics as possible, that is many weapons at the same time, ammo and ho pickups, powerups (ala quad damage from quake) quick saves… overall doom/serious Sam meets hotline Miami.

The engine is being written in c++ using sdl. I'm looking for a graphican (256 colors fo the whole game, you need to pick the palette)

I posted on agdg about that, but I had no replies, everyone wants shekels…

Btw. I'm not just idea guy, the engine is going pretty well. So far I have done rendering of the level (almost unlimited size of the level without performance loss) animated and rotating sprites, collisions and triggers. Everything is done in software (the only thing gpu does is upscaling and actually displaying already generated image) with about 300fps on dual core 2ghz laptop with integrated Intel HD GPU. Will post some webms tomorrow, I gotta go.

As much as you possibly can. Realize your limits, and call in for help as needed.
Strive for perfection, but understand that you cannot ever truly attain it. Accept code that runs in an efficient manner, and then move on.

Take a tip from Insomniac. There is not a single person working in that company that does one thing, they train all of their workers to be jacks of all trades until they become masters of all. Be versatile, look into the full process, and understand what you are currently able to do. Call in help and learn from your fellow peers so that you improve in the areas that which you are lacking, and git gud at make game.