What's your favourite setting for a game?

What's your favourite setting for a game?

I like medieval fantasy.

I like colorful games, no matter the genre.
I prefer forest levels. Not straight jungle ones. Forest ones, with blue skies and thick grass.

Worst levels are by far sewer ones. I hate those.

Planescape and Elder Scrolls worlds. Basically, settings where sci-fi and fantasy blend into a unique setting without boundaries.

Me too user. A good blend is perfect, but it's pretty easy to fuck up. And the worst way to fuck up is to try and explain it in any detailed way. i.e. midichlorians.

I'm a sucker for port/coastal/beach/sea towns and locations, so Limsa Lominsa was my go-to in FFXIV.

Also really liked Wind Waker and Crystal Chronicles, although the latter was lite on coastal locations it still had a cozy atmosphere.

As long as it's not Vikings, I'm cool with it.

I like "those who came before" kind of architecture - monolithic, ancient but advanced

I like games taking place in our world, but with enough gameplay to be interesting. Not enough games do that.

I like desert worlds.

I'd love medieval fantasy settings if the developers actually put some thought and care into them.

Why can't they make armor and weapons that looks realistic? Are you telling me the motherfucker in pic related doesn't look cool enough? Why not just hire the asshole that drew this shit to design armors for them? Why can't they think through how the presence of magic, monsters and genuine deities would affect the advancement of society, how people live or how warfare is conducted?

Why can't they learn from Tolkien since they seem to like aping him so much?

Too bad ME3 fucked up the entire Ilos arc with retcons

Not too big on vikings, I like lighthearted european fantasy.

Maxmimum comfy

I forgot what they did to it to be honest. ME3 wasn't too memorable beyond the beginning and (of course) ending.

That does sound comfy af, user.

It feel like it been done to death.
I made a post complaining about how magic isn't used to its fullest potential in fantasy setting and some anons shit on my alchemy assembly line idea.

I prefer something like Fallout (not 3 or 4).

I really liked the setting in FF8. How places like Deling, Fishermans Horizon, and Dollet captures charm of regional differences.

I don't want a world revolving around magic but magic is fairly interesting. If I make an RPG, I want there to be no magic class. Magic would not be commonplace enough for there to be a class so magic is treated as an end game ability.

I'd like a Vikings game if it was properly made. You start off as a low ranking, young warrior going on raids. As time goes on you get richer and more accomplished until you earn a ship of your own.

You then proceed to recruit a crew and go raiding some more. And in between all of this there's clan politics, mystical shit going on, gods meddling, warring with other clans, etc.

Oh, and Vikings get represented as the pillaging, raping horde they are, with concubines and slaves and shit, and since we're at it, you have the chance of visit (not) Byzantium and explore the city and all the intrigue and power struggles there.

There's plenty to do with a Viking setting that isn't the shitshow Bethesda gave us with Skyrim.

But so few RPGs actually define what the limitations of magic are, or how widespread it is, or what role in society it has.

If you have guys that can throw fireballs at people you better think long and hard about what the repercussions of something like that are going to be.

How widespread is magic? How advanced and easy to use? What are the limitations and rules? If it is used in war what countermeasures did those facing mages come up with?

This is why I fucking loathe the "it's magic, I gotta explain shit" approach. It's lazy as shit storytelling and worldbuilding if anything and everything can just be explained away with magic. Our ancestors weren't superstitious idiots. There was much they didn't understand but they were perfectly capable of applying cause and effect to the world around them and navigate their way through complex systems.

It has but mostly in a Tolkien way, I only like the light colourful kind of medieval fantasy.

The fun of magic for me is not knowing how it works, I don't wanna know the step by step dissection of it.

As for magic changing society then I guess it comes down to how big and how robust a magic users arsenal is. If they can summon a meteor shower to destroy a city then yes you need some explanation as to how those guys are kept in check.

But if the extent of magic in a game is people summoning small fireballs in their hands then it's not as necessary.

I like gothic shit, like the Castlevania games

I wanted something like Fallout but adding something else to setting to not be a big rip-off.

Magic in that setting is not a science, not a skill, or a technology. Very few can use it and it replaces "mad science" as the thing fucks people over.

Magic enhances one tag skill to give unique abilities related to that skill.

whichever one has the most untapped potential at the time.

Underwater city. Talk all the shit you want about Bioshock but goddamn Rapture was cool as fuck.

Haven't seen much in the way of floating sky cities.

I've wanted to take on a mile-long cyberserpent with a staff while plummeting through the sky for the longest time, but no such luck.

I like whatever the fuck Neptunia's setting is.

As weeby as it is, this anime attempts a modern fantasy setting.

fantastic fantasy
seriously, where are the floating islands

Floating islands are bitching.

i like medieval fantasy that takes liberties. you know, like silly anime shit or steampunk.

Now I'm curious.

I like original settings

The plot is basically that the MC originally wanted to be a hero but someone else has killed the Demon King. Now, he works in an appliance shop and all the appliance run on the magic of the user. One new employee is the Demon King's daughter.

Got a trailer?

oh brother!

No, daughter

It is a 2013 anime.
The title is "I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job.".

This is kinda rubbing me the wrong way. Thanks for telling me, though.

War zones. I like games where you use radios and die in a few hits and squad work, etc.. Shame there are few games like this, it's why RO2 is good by default.

Command & Conquer is a good example. So is Iron Storm and pretty much any other setting with forever war on Earth.

Yeah, there is a lot of things that I don't like about it but I found it heart warming when the Demon Princess started taking her job more seriously because she found out what she wanted to do.
It is kinda like Ika Musume.