Iconic / Best Game Over Screens

Post 'em.

I'll start with Metal Slug.

Other urls found in this thread:

castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=7139.0
m.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ-HwojX40E
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The flashing screen and the 8-bit demon chuckle were startling as a kid.

Here's the game over screen of Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga.

Since there was a recent remake on the PS4, I thought it would be fitting.

But is the remake good?

It's alright. I've been playing it for a day now and it has tons of unlockable content (which you do by playing the game, not by paying for DLC). It's not the best game, but it's not shit either. It's a 7/10.

I guess the platforming could be a little bit better, since Beast feels awkward to control when jumping and landing. I think "floaty" is the best way to describe it.

You know who gave it a 3 out of 10? Polygon. They claimed the combat was sluggish and the puzzles too hard. Then, I played it. You only get hit from the back if you're too stupid not to realize you have to constantly stun the enemies so you can only fight the guys in front of you.

If there are two waves of enemies coming at you, stun one of them and proceed. It's not that hard really, but the niggers at Polygon decided this was too much of a fucking hassle to do. If you watched their Doom gameplay video, you'll realize they have no business reviewing vidya in the first place because they fucking suck at it.

Of course, I'd tell them to git gud, but they have a standing army of white knights to defend their honor, like the RPS guy.

==YOU DIED==

That one traumatized me as a kid. What was with late 80s/early 90s games threatening to murder your protags if you didn't pop in another quarter?

always confused the shit out of me.

Does it count, tho?

It's tattooed on my brain.

And then:
SNAKE! ANSWER ME! SNAKE! SNAAAAAAKE!

Step it up

It's still a game, right

Awww you beat me to it, muh nigga.

I first played UFO Defense when I was 20 and the ending still had me scarred and depressed. No game kicks you for your failure harder. Not to mention that music that makes your skin crawl.

came here to post this
such a weird game over screen

What this one from?

is it General Chos?

I think we should assume the villains are saying these lines
Your failure to stop them was such a non-event for them, they are basically saying "that was fun, who's next?"

explain the skeleton then. if it's you, then why does it have horns? if it's an enemy, then why is it outside the castle when the whole game takes place in the castle? whose rosary is that? why is there sand?

It's the way he tells you that you are dead that is most chilling.

not iconic, but still

Maybe its the skeleton of the demon that ate you?

Like, it ate you, grew old and died, rotted away and now your crucifix is all that's left of you?

Came to post this

Most Mortal Kombat games in general.

They tossed your ass into some death pit Dracula has lying around? Given the amount of dead things he just has here and there, that's not a stretch.

May sony burn forever for killing Psygnosis.

ooh

The loss cutscenes from C&C '95 and Red Alert were good, seeing a desecrated battlefield and your forces in ruin hit hard after you barely scrap by trying to win.

Sadly I can't find clips on YT, so I'll just post Kane's face.

Wait, no-one posted this yet?

KANE LIVES

FUCK EA

I loved what the Arkham series did with game overs: depending on where you died, have that area's boss mock you

Bats? BATS?
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAATZ

Rise of the Triad
fegit

What game?

filenames you fucking retard

That was a dumb plot point but holy shit did it create memorable moments

If you want iconic, mario

mainly because it's an overrated ok game that everyone who wants to pretend they play videogames attaches themselves to and fails on the first level

It also said best right after, though. I'll post a good one.

That's not the image i posted, savng images by their unix timestamps wasn't a smart choice hotwheels

1.ts Alucard cross in a burial place

2.Its actually Alucard true form
castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=7139.0

pic realated is the saddest ending of this game

Motivation to keep playing the game. Smart bastards.

Another fantastic game over screen fitting of the punisher, most likely how he would die or be found dead like in the comics.

All I hear is "moo."

Damn…Grunty got HOT! Mumbo you fucking traitor!

The GO sequence from Banjor Kazooie where grunty gets all sexy and forces you to masturbate.

Always loved this one personally, mostly due to the sound effects.

Metroid prime's worked really well with that death scream.

How likely are faggots going to be triggered by seeing these?

Not a very good game, but the game over stuck with me.
That one main track it has for most of the game is pretty good, too.

I think it's because with Dracula, night is eternal, so even if you'd been at it for hundreds of hours, the night is still young, and it's all been for nothing

What are you, gay?

All of this. It's like the game over screen equivalent of old game box art that was only vaguely related to the actual game it represented. I'd assume it was specifically made for the US version by people who had nothing to do with making the rest of the game at all if not for the inclusion of that super Japanese out-of-place quote.

What does going out for pleasures entail for Dracula? Probably preying on innocent people. And he's free to do that when there's no hero around to stop him.

Sierra always had some of the best death screens/messages which berated the player for being bad at the game. Granted, the games were often filled with random bullshit deaths because you didn't follow that designers particular form of warped internal logic, but still. I wouldn't mind more games which called the player out for doing dumb shit or being crap at the game so long as the deaths were fair.

I believe that same screen is displayed when you finish the game, without the grim reaper on screen

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

see

Third fuckin' post.

as a kid i always wondered, did they put that upbeat "YEEEEEAAAH" in there just to insult you?

to make you angry enough to slot more money in and show them you could beat it?

in KQ6, death, or whoever it's supposed to be, pats you on the back but it looks like he's slapping your ass if you run at a higher speed.

I remember seeing this a lot as a kid.
Bonus: weird Famicom version.

Welp, missed that.

Have another.

I have always loved this game over sequence.

Pretty fancy for the NES.

Fate worse than death.

Was that king a completely bullshit boss? Because I remember that king being a completely bullshit boss.

It was a proper boss, but requires a lot of practice (which is hard to get on the physical console).

It was fine for NES standards, but nowadays anyone would say it's bullshit and I agree.

Rare knew what they were doing with the hardware. even shit like Slalom has no flicker.

Yeah, I guess it was more about learning to manipulate the patterns and not having too much time to do it.
One thing is just learning what the boss does, the other is being forced to make him act or fire in a specific way, and it wasn't exactly a very forgiving environment for trial-and-error.

As good as the games are, I never cared much for Rare's bosses in the earlier titles. They're always either monotonous or very unpredictable/hard to control in that "do the obvious strategy over and over and hope it works" kind of way.

Thinking about the W&W series, the flying element fuckers in the other game were even worse. I think they went invisible or behind the scenery and could still hurt you, and flew erratically off-screen whenever.

i need your help Holla Forums
There was this shit indie videogame made in the nineties, where you were a red naked dude and had to fight a blue naked dude

And you could shoot fire and he could shoot ice but he had unlimited ice and you didn't, but beating him would make you progress up on this white pyramid thingy

help me find it Holla Forums

The only real hard thing from W&W3 is Malkil, compared to the previous games it is pretty tame.

But I like it more than the others.

The music is fucking haunting.

The 90s were a pretty primordial time for indie stuff.
Care to be more specific? Side-view? Top down? Fighter-type? Platformer? 2D? 3D?
DOS? Windows? Other?
What kind of audio?
Anything other very specific to this game?

Side view, fighting game with mortal kombat style of inputs (best way to approach the enemy was to jump)
Windows, and also the game over screen was hilarious the blue guy just kept on looping a 2 second "you lose"

Was it an arcade cabinet?

nope
i just remembered i might actually have the cd somewhere.
If i find it i'm gonna fucking upload it on volafile

spook can be achieved with no bones, just observe

m.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ-HwojX40E

Ah shit, I think I've actually played the game you're talking about.
Now I want to find it, too.

basically what

Said, but I'd also add that Aarbron's movement is momentum based. It takes him two steps to get up to full speed, so you need to make sure that if you need to do a running jump, get some momentum.

On topic, I'd say that my personal favorite Game over screens are Metroid Prime 1, 2, and 3, with 3 having SEVERAL game over screens depending on where you are in the story.

at least i found these
mostly ripoffs but they are all fun to play

from left to right:
>not sonic actually it's quite different in gameplay too, guess they couldn't afford a good gameplay

should i upload something?

THERE WERE REASONS TO BE AFRAID

I can't find any screenshots of Wild 9's game over tombstone.

Pretty sure it's not in the PC-Gamehits! range. Found their site on the Wayback machine, went through images/gameplay footage of the titles that sounded even remotely fightery.

Any idea what kind of CD it was on?

no clue, i used to have my dad buying me a bunch of italian gaming magazines that had those cds filled with cd's

luckily enough i got myself this little gem that way

filled with demos*

Underrated

Is that game worth the trouble of trying to acquire it?

2spooky4u

This is from a kid's game.

This is from a kid's game.

Manipulation to keep playing and spend more money.

This scared the living shit outta me as a kid. I would literally turn off the console before that would pop up.

Reminds of an old webm-to-be i had

Wow, so hardcore….
I guess you'll never get the best end of B-K, which is the bad end right here

Until just now, I was convinced I was the only one that played these.

Violated Heroine has the best bad endings, i remember one where you got enslaved if you defended some slave girls form an abusive owner at the slave market, Nanako ended up as a tame slave cleaning toilets whit her tongue

another good one

and the classic

A memorable one from Armored Warriors.

That's a pretty gud WEBM user.

Front Mission Gun Hazard.

One death screen I remember seeing a long fucking time ago was one from a "Pirate of the Caribbean" game where you would see the protagonist dead on the beach or something while small ants or insects would crawl on you, and if you died on your ship there were two screens you would have a chance of seeing, one is your ship fucking destroyed in the bottom of the ocean, and the other I think was just skeletal remains along with your broken ass ship on shore, it makes me so annoyed I can't find this.

There was this game called Demonphobia. The only thing I remember about it is You're friend that was helping you the whole time betrays you at the end and revealed that he kept bringing you back to life when you died with demon magic and stuff.

What I was kind of cool is when you die to him, the game over screen gets even more creepy because it is covered with red japanese text that read out as "Ow'' and "Ouch".

The fact is gets kind of creepier is crazy since before a game over screen in that game, you get your shit kicked in by some kind of demon or contraption. **Probably wouldn't play it again since I'm not a fan of not being able to turn the monster chasing me into hamburger with a AK-47 or Locomotive shotgun."

Can't believe I got the spoiler wrong on that last line.

Always liked this game over screen