Were we suppose to hate Ned Flanders?

Were we suppose to hate Ned Flanders?

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flanderization
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Never mind that op what the fuck is written on those signs behind them?

That's kind of Ned's gimmick. He's so nice and considerate that it's irritating. He's too perfect for a city full of assholes and idiots like Springfield.

It's mirrored so google's algorithms can't pick it up as easily.

Depends which era of The Simpsons we're talking about.

He's a fucking prot so of course

The one behind neds head says discount drugs.
Can't make the other one out though.
Now if you wan't a character to hate Apu is a grade a asshole.

No, then yes, then no, then depending on your political and religious ideology, then no, then absolutely, then why're you still here

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Flanderization

Started out as a quirky foil to Homer: polite, slightly religious, generous, etc. and then quickly became nothing more than a tightwad christian.

0:00
"Now entering Winnipeg.
We were born here. What's your excuse?"
"Winnipeg Pharmacy"
0:05
'Discount Drugs'

No, and it was unreasonable but humanizing that Homer did

Yes you disgusting bigot

We're not "supposed" to hate any of the Simpsons characters.

What makes you say that?

They were seemingly all created with different personalities and character traits in mind, so it's all up to the viewer.

See gif related

*pic

When the Simpsons was created it was made to make fun of the family sitcoms at the time which were all about the perfect family with little to no issues. Things like your kid vandalising, thinking of cheating on your partner, having the kids constantly fight between each other also fail at school, never happened on those shows.

Ned was created to be the polar opposite of homer which was those earlier family shows, a clean living, well adjusted church going family living next door who Homer hates because he knows Ned puts in the work he doesn't want to do.

Hens love roosters
Geese love ganders
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders

This. And Ned wasn't even super religious at first. Ned one-upped Homer on everything. He has a better house, better appliances, a less dysfunctional family. Homer went to church but was a lackadaisical Christian, so it only made sense that Ned would be a better Christian than him. But over time the writers would make his Christianity a bigger part of his character, Flanderizing him further and further. Also early writers seemed to portray him as a nice guy, and his faith neutral to positive, though his expression of it was usually really dorky, but in a friendly, nice-guy kind of way. Later writers would portray Ned and his religion in a less positive light.

I always felt Ned was the reflection of what Homer wished his family would be like.

At least they arent going to jew church
Good job ol neddy

is Ned >/our guy/?

He was more well adjusted, flexible, and open to criticism.
He lost a bet with Homer to wear a dress, and he did it while chuckling.
It just was at the time that being Christian or religious was a good thing, so when it stopped being good, so did Flanders suddenly change to all the worst stereotypes.

Then they killed his wife as a laugh.

What's the term: flanderize?

Season 1 Homer was very odd. One episode actually had him concerned about his family's behavior. Contrast that to today, he rivals only Peter Griffin as most impulsive fictional man in the universe.

What is our guy a board an you fucked up the link?

I think the attitude the writers took to Flanders has more to do with the writers in general changing.

They stopped trying to write any episodes that were heartfelt. I remember listening to the commentary track done for the first couple seasons and the way they talked about them was surprisingly flippant about those occasional heartfelt moments.

Makes it look like they forgot how to look at the characters as those you could care about. They changed from trying to use the characters innate nature to drive the story and more about how they could just jam the characters into different settings.

Consider the episode where Homer gets Lisa a pony. There they use Homer's love of his daughter and agony over disappointing her to drive the story as he does what many fathers wish they could do for their girl, give her the object of her dreams: a pony. It's a sort of ridiculous thing that people usually never go through with and the episode uses the ridiculousness of going through with it to drive the story.

Contrast that to a later episode, Saddlesore Galactica. Where the Simpsons again get a horse because they see one being forced to jump from a diving board. It's just randomness for the sake of creating an excuse to have the Simpsons engage in horse racing. It's not based on any sort of traditional thing families do nor do the the family's personalities really make it feel natural. It's all just random bullshit for the sake of driving the plot forward with random jokes like having the horse jockeys being elves.

user, what the fuck.

>>>/ourguy/

Season 1, Episode 6, Moaning Lisa. One of the earliest episodes that gave Lisa some actual personality, where Lisa finds herself sad for no reason and everyone around her isn't helping and instead being flippant and dismissive. Marge gives Lisa the advice her Mother gave her, to smile even though she's unhappy so everyone thinks everything is fine and that her Mommy is the best Mommy because she's always smiling, and then she'll be popular and everyone will like her.

This part was probably the only time that I genuinely liked Marge and Lisa as characters, because it's a really sincere and heartfelt moment.

They even had Comic Book Guy comment they already did that on the horse episode as a stand in to the show's fans and told him to basically fuck off.

When did Ralph become just a walking punchline?

I like him

How was Season 9?

its normally where i stop on my rewatches i just cant make it through

Before if they wanted to try a different setting they would expand on a different character, like the one with Ralph, where a shy and lonely boy has an unrequited love, or when Ned has an actual faith crisis. Now they would make Homer a religious zealot from nowhere.

They didn't get the characters rightly characterize yet, one episode Homer would go to great lengths for his family, the next he would give his wife a birthday gift expressly for himself.

Wasn't there an episode early on where homer told Marge he stopped loving her because she was honest in court or something?

Yes early on, when Mr Burns hits Bart with the car, Marge was unbelievably retarded though.

That depends: Are we succesful normies?

Actually, it was because her VA wanted a raise so they fired her. Cue them having to find a way to suddenly write her off the show for real.

That's the first episode I've ever seen of Simpsons and I only saw it once in my life, during its first airing.

No I get that, my point is that the show started as a rejection of Sitcom type stuff where you could kick out a character as a laugh and nobody cares, to becoming like one where characters aren't in service to a feeling of interconnectivity but more like puppets you can move in and out.

Which was dumb. Firstly, Maude never really did much and secondly, she was being voiced by an alternate voice actress at the time. She could have easily been a background character for a few years

Let's say in an online multiplayer, there's this perfect guy who manages to reach 1st place every fucking time and you get upset because of that cocky nig, but that moment when the fucker reaches 1st and you're on last, that's when you want to flip the whole world upside and try to teach that piece of shit who is his daddy.

Yeah but ned wouldn't be a cocky nig he'd be a sweet guy that would leave a message like this in your inbox.
Though maybe a bit more dorky.