Specs thread

Post computer specs, discuss specs.

Can anyone shed some light on why this computer can't run a number of relatively low-load games (including TF2 and even fucking Superhot) at a consistent high framerate? I'm planning on dusting my PC, but is there anything else I might be missing?

hotwheels codemonkey i fucking swear if this doubleposts

Other urls found in this thread:

evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-4998-KR
pcpartpicker.com/p/VbV3cf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

there you go

I've got a 7870 and an i5 3570, and yet I've found nothing good that I can't comfortably run yet. When's the last time you cleaned your computer?

Obviously you go to Logical Increments, OP, I have the exact same CPU. What you need is a better graphics card, and you need to stop trying to run everything at fucking 1440/1600p/4K.

2gb video card from 2011. It's time to fucking upgrade. You could probably use some more RAM too. Also it will probably help if you revert your driver to a much older version. NVidia and ATI both get shit for removing Legacy code (which they both do), but they do that so that old code doesn't get in the way of new optimizations. In order for your card to use its hardware acceleration of certain features and technologies, you need to use a driver from BEFORE they started removing code related to your video card.

Doing this will improve your framerates significantly. Also turn off AA/AF. Just turn them off. They're fucking garbage settings that you don't need, and only worth turning on if your card can already render the game at 200fps without them turned on.

Fear my autismal blast!

I didn't know you could get a 980 with such low memory count. I havea 960 with 4gb of RAM. Which isn't stock for the 960, I know, but I was under the impression that the 980 came with a minimum of 4gb and went upward.

It's a speccy bug. It's a 980ti Classy from EVGA
evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-4998-KR

I think I'll be getting a new GPU sometime soon.

Very nice.

Not bad user.

New GPU when? It needs it m80

If you're gonna get a new GPU, which you should, 970 or wait for the 1070.

I'd definitely say wait for the 1070 since it comes out this month. Getting the 970 would be silly.

I had Radeon 6800 series in my computer and it ran TF2 flawleslly, I could play Battlefield 4 on High settings.
I am not sure about ATI cards but do they go backwards with the numbers? Like, is 7800 worse than 6800, because if you cant run TF2 and Superhot with 7800, something is really fucking off

Someone say toaster?

Your temperature sensor is broken, mate.

My 8800GTS 512 used to break 101c under load.

I know, the real temperature is around 70 degrees according to speedfan.
My cpu fan is really shitty though.
I'm just waiting for this new generation of gpus to drop so i can build a new machine

If his CPU was actually running at 96c, the rest of his PC would be dangerously high in temps too, because it would be blasting hot air all around his case even if he had case fans running.

96c is in the danger zone, mate. Your CPU should never reach 96c while idle.

I want to replace the HDDs, but I need at least 3TB for games and that's a lot of shekels just to make them load faster.

I say toaster.

How much did that set ya back?

It wasn't that expensive, I think it was 4 or 500 bucks.

It's great for modern games, not so good for everything else. Most software has trouble with scaling, so in some old games you end up with tiny menus and text that is impossible to read.

It holds up pretty well when you dislike AAA games.
The only things i miss is being able to emulate Wii/F-Zero GX and playing cloudbuilt at 60 fps.

Honestly you're breaking my heart here, user. Nobody should have to compromise their hobby like that.

You do what you have to do.

Rate my future pc Holla Forums

CPU Intel Socket 1151 i5-6600 Ci5 Box (3,3GHz) With Cooler
Svga MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G + cod. The division
MB Intel 1151 ASRock H170 Pro4
MEM KINGSTON DDR4 2133 16GB C14 Kingston kit 0
SSD 2,5 250GB Samsung MZ-75E250B 850EVO
HD WD 3,5" 1000 GB 1TB 64MB WD WD10EZEX
DVD-RW LG GH24NSB0 bulk Black SATA
Zalman - Case Z11 Plus
PS 550W XFX P1-550G-TS3X 80+ Gold

I mean shit, if you're spending the money anyway, you might as well get something that'll last you a bit longer.

Should I update my CPU?
Not a technical goy but I think its performance isn't well suited for modern games.
Are there any good AMD processors out there at the moment? I'm not in for buying a new motherboard just to have a intel cpu.

45nm? Yeah you should probably upgrade just for the heat factor alone. Your CPU is your PC's bottleneck.

literally why

You mean getting a i7? I don't see why I should spend more money just because it has multithreading. I'd rather get a i5k with that money instead

Super shit coming in.

Yeah that's what I meant, alright suit yourself man. It's your money. And the term is "hyperthreading." Multithreading is something all PCs have.

Bit old, but pretty solid, could use a new GPU though.

'cause I fucked up and forgot that the Win10 prevents you to go back to Windows 7 after a month or so.
I fell for the meme. Can't go back now.
I only have my system and some programs on there and I'm gucci with how it is.
What is bad about EVO though?

mustard race

Estimated 3x lifespan going from EVO to PRO.

fuck
Thanks for the heads up.
I have to take care of this later though, as I currently am more interested in getting either just a new AM3 socket CPU or a new motherboard + cpu.

Given the massive size of the caches etc, you probably will lose only 50% of the CPU speed by using commodore 64 memory on a modern computer.

It'll still reasonably last you over a decade, so it's nothing to worry about now, just make sure if you decide to get another SSD you go for longevity since it'll end up be cheaper in the long run.

It's embarrassing, user.

When I was working on PCs you'd be surprised at the amount of home-builds from "gamers" that have their memory in the wrong fucking slots.

Oh it's not so much that. I'm using an EVO 212 Hydra for my CPU cooler, which means that I can't move my RAM sticks without having to re-do the thermal grease. And I have a configuration of 8/4/4, eventually I'll have 8/8/8/8 but for now I haven't bothered with getting more RAM. Anyway the "advantages" of dual channel RAM only truly exist in benchmarks, and you will never find an instance where your RAM being linked somehow gave you more FPS in any way.

You can look it up if you like. I used to run my RAM dual channel, but when I upgraded my heatsink I also added in another stick of RAM. So I can't dual channel it even if I wanted to simply on the merits of using 3 sticks.

I know, losing some performance just because you fucked the memory slots.
But i don't think it affects that much.

I guess I'll specify…

ONLY IN MEMORY BENCHMARKS. Not actual benchmarks that are useful.

Can't wait for all the butthurt over Windows 10

You and cortana of course.

Honestly I don't care, I used Win10, it wasn't awful at all. Anyone who rages about Win10 is usually a buttblasted Linux fag who hates all Windows but picks on a specific Windows platform to try and fit in then they'll start on other Windows versions.

Just ignore them.

Anyway, nice system.

user pls

every time :^)

I hope you at least disabled the telemetry

I would be surprised if out of our ~2700 users we have 50 dedicated linuxfags.

Prove it.
A vocal minority no matter how large or small is still a vocal minority, and it's only the vocal minority who you ever hear. We have plenty of users who don't even post and just read threads.

50 dedicated Linuxfags is not much different than a population of less than 1% homosexuals when everyone is painfully aware of the homosexuals because of how fucking annoyingly in your face they can be.

Linux fags are like vegans. You don't have to ask if they use Linux because they'll make sure you know first chance they get.

Go find some single vs dual channel video encoding benchmarks.

There isn't a global agenda pushing the acceptance of linuxfags and brainwashing kindergarten kids with Penguin Pride Day and making them read stories about how Johnny installed MINT and that's just fine!.

You also can't be arrested for hate speech for telling linuxfags to go kill themselves.

See, this guy gets it.

It's hate speech to tell anyone to go kill themselves, you retard.

Kill yourself :^)

There are several linux users that aren't like that.
And what they all have in common is that they use it at work mostly and see all the bad sides splashing to their faces the whole time.

There are exceptions to the rule, yes. But every time a thread about Windows comes up, it starts off as

But eventually the same users who started with that bullshit out themselves as Linux fantards. They love to use Win10 as the stepping stone to build rapport before they start acting like insufferable cunts. We see more Linuxfags who are intolerable compared to Linuxfags who are alright kind of people.

Well, win10 is a terribly suspicious OS.. that is indeed used by linuxfags as their platform to preach the choir, when the OS the user currently have (win7/8) is the best option.

You're far too emotional to be a paid shill, but you sure are hard selling that pro win10 narrative.

I use Win7, you fucking retard.

I'm not saying Win10 doesn't have its problems, not at all.

ajj lmau

I've noticed your persona has shifted from being an attention seeking weeb to a vicious, insult spewing sperglord the moment you were contradicted.

Very interesting.

I know, but i was kinda agreeing to your point, because its quite regular to see this "INSTALL LINUX" logic going on instead of the easier and better "just stay with your OS and don't install the evil updates".

If I wasn't unemployed I'd have 2 and it'd be dual channel.

I so wish that the alternatives would hurry up and get their shit in gear so we could use them. How long has that one Windows clone that's supposed to run Linux/OS X/Windows apps been in development now? I thought it was shitcanned years ago, but apparently he's still working on it.

That's that /g/ equivalent of /k/'s "buy a moist nugget", or the Holla Forums equivalent of "it's shit :^)".

I would be genuinely surprised if even 1/100th of the people memeing it up about linux actually ran a distro as their primary OS.

Got most of this by going on salvage runs through the junkyard (aside from the motherboard and the WD harddrive)
Also have enough spare parts to get a small African village online. If only I could house more cases…

How's it feel to live like a king?
I should have got the i7…

Win7 is good enough for now, specially if vulkan kicks the high gear in.

I fucking hope it does, cause so far I'm not seeing anything of note come from the Vulkan camp, meanwhile the DX12 apps are starting to pile on.

Well, with microsoft porting everything from Xbone to PC using DX12, it does pile fast indeed.

No surprise that Bethesda are helping pave the way by putting a DX12 renderer into ESO.

Yep.
But gonna get paid by MS to willingly throw away half of the market.

I don't think so, I think it's just going to be an alternative renderer. Much like how WoW lets you use DirectX 9, 10 or 11, and The Secret World lets you switch between 9 and 11.

Smarter.

Neat, but overstimulating, having information everywhere you look. I'd recommend everyone with multiple monitors to take a walk in the woods from time to time. Get a break from all the monitors. Then again, I might just be getting old.

Speaking of renderers, what the fuck is Valve's problem? They ported Half-Life 2 to OpenGL years ago, reported that they got nearly double the framerates, and I still can't select the OpenGL renderer under Windows. Withholding their improved renderer for SteamOS exclusively seems like a real shitty thing to do.

I know the feel. I need to get out and about more. There's a forest nearby and I used to walk there every day, now I haven't been in years.

Do it. Cutting yourself off from tech for an hour or two makes vidya feel so much better when you come back.

Also, I haven't noticed any performance difference, going from an i5 to an i7. Only games where its noticeable is in grand strategy games, or games with hundreds of NPC's on screen at the same time.

Yeah, my problem is I chose AMD because it was cheaper. Such a stupid fucking mistake.

Shit dog. I love AMD as a company, but their products never live up to the competition.

After I buy a PS4 I might start putting money away to transition over to an Intel. Of course doing so means I'll have to switch to DDR4 RAM as well, so I will have to pick up a suitable RAM kit. All these little things to add onto the price.

Yep. At least RAM is dirt cheap now-a-days.

Interestingly enough, DDR4 has somehow become cheaper than DDR3.

I think the improvement is only valid on linux, because most of the work was making Open GL faster under linux rather than optimizing the game.

Well, I hope their future games (if and when they ever release any) are not DirectX.

its okay, will probably need to upgrade the video card within the next few years

I hope it supports anything on everything.

Holy fuck, another 8300… Logical Increments needs to stop pushing the 8300 series.

Actually I didnt use Logical Increments, Im embarrassed as fuck to the actual story.

Basically

He and I are no longer friends

Not over the processor alone, I hope.

It's cheaper to entice people to move on to DDR4

It's more likely just a question of demand and supply.
Companies don't manufacture DDR3 anymore, and scalpers gotta scalp, because other companies still depend on the older memories to not have to basically replace their 10000+ machines when the memory they came with originally don't fare that well anymore.

Getting this in the next few days. pcpartpicker.com/p/VbV3cf

Here is my build. My only regret is opting for amd cpu.

Please no bully.

Nah Im just being dramatic

It was a lot more than that

Sage for offtopic

Had this a few years now.

1920x1080 @ 120Hz

What would you recommend for someone on a budget?

I bought a Gigabit Windforce 960 4gb 2X OC for $300 (CDN), but it depends on what your budget is. Logical Increments always has great solutions.

Poorfag here, i upgraded my shit so many times that i lost the count.