DS Flashcarts

So since they're apparently so cheap nowadays and since 3DS CFW can't play DS ROMs at the moment, I've been thinking about getting a DS flashcart.

Unfortunately, I have no fucking clue which one to get and all the information I've seen is years out of date.

What flashcarts do you guys use, and which would you recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

r4ids.cn/buy-r4i-e.htm
modchipsdirect.com/r4i-3ds-r4ds-wood.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speeds
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I seem to recall hearing good things about the R4i (I think), but I'd like to know what's the current best myself for stuff like fan translations (as well as to add the information to the DS chart, since I think that would likely be helpful for other anons). If memory serves different ones have different capabilities for what they can do.

tfw CFW cucks won't ever play DS roms

buy a gateway you poor shitters

The good flashcarts nowadays use Wood, a port of the Akaio firmware from Acekard2i made by the original devs.

r4i golds are good, acekard2i's work too but don't have compatibility with dsi's or non-cfw 3ds's.

Thanks, anything about system compatibility that would be worth putting down as well? I seem to recall that some carts would work on various DS systems (of which there were four of between the Original DS, Lite, DSi, and DSi XL models) but not on others; admittedly I don't know much about the 3DS, but even with it being backwards compatible with original DS carts (and region free for them as well, even if the system is natively region locked for 3DS games), it wouldn't surprise me if the older carts for the older DS models didn't work with them. But I'm just guessing.

Well the dsi's had updatable firmware, you can probably guess how that went.

So what cards should I be looking at to use on a n3DS? Like said I know there's all kinds of compatibility bullshit to worry about between different cards and systems.

You're going to have to search gbatemp, people were saying they removed flash cart blocks so long ago but I'm not terribly sure now with the 11.0 update. I'm using Aureinand with the arm9loaderhax on a 3DS and on 10.7, I haven't updated yet. r4i gold works for me.

r4ids.cn/buy-r4i-e.htm All of these are trusted. Payment methods for 'illegal' Hong Kong shit have gotten screwy lately though, involving you to buy specific gift cards for payment.

Some people on GBAtemp claim this seller/card is fine; but I figured I'd post it here to make sure it's legit:
modchipsdirect.com/r4i-3ds-r4ds-wood.html

Seem alright?

Nevermind, I'm a retard and had Match case checked on CTRL+F so I didn't see that site on the list

I bought that card from that website, I can snag a pic of it if you want timestamped evidence.

Nah, I can take your word for it, though I have a question.

I'm assuming it doesn't come with its' own microSD, but if it does it would save me a trip to the store. Does it come with one? If not, does it have any internal storage I can use until I grab another microSD?

It doesn't have any internal storage I'm aware of, it's just the cheap alternative to the DSTWO that works best.

iirc you can ask them to add a microsd to the purchase and a microsd to usb reader (you need to put firmware on the root of your microsd to get the card to work).

The reader I think they send no matter what but it's garbage I threw mine out and used my own microsd reader, microSDs are dirt cheap now so might as well buy a good brand from someone else.

Alright, guess I'll take a walk to walgreens or something tomorrow and see if they're having a sale on microSDs. Thanks.

I'd check online first
tigerdirect.com
newegg.com
microcenter.com
etc

They usually have pretty good sales, I'm not sure it matters for the DS but as a good habit you should lean toward a faster card.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speeds

I plan on ordering one online, but I figured I'd check my local shops first to see if I can save myself the trouble of shipping.

I still use TTDS like a faggot.

It's mostly good, but I see some compatibility issues every now and then.

R4i gold rts is good, I wouldn't recommend an r4isdhc because they have a fucking death timer on them and if you swap the menu in it for one that doesn't Pokemon black/white/black2/white 2 stop working

Okay user.

I have an old DSTwo laying around from back when GBA and SNES emulation on DS was hot shit but it only sees use for DS games nowadays because of 3DS injection of GBA games and my not being terrifically interested in sub-par SNES emulation.

I'd go for the cheapest one you can get since it doesn't really matter unless your 3DS has CFW which it probably should anyways sheerly because of the shit you can do with a hacked 3DS. R4i Golds mentioned here sound like your best bet.

uh, duh, you fucking moron, and they never will.

That depends entirely on if DS games ever make it to the Virtual Console or through some other distribution method, I recall there were people looking into a Japan-only DSiWare release of an Advance Wars game but that turned out to be a dead end.

Either way shove your blue name up your ass and ignore the thread if you have no intention of contributing.

This thread is about flashcarts for the DS or 3DS?

DS. There's only 2 3ds flash carts of any value.
Sky3ds+ does 3ds roms on the newest firmware version without bells and whistles, good if you're on 11.0 and don't want to hardmod now, but still not as good as cfw.

Gateway has the same requirements of cfw but the only benefits you get are .3ds roms and cheats. Also they've had bricking problems in the past and you have to use menuhax until they put out their a9lh support on the 22nd, something that's already been in cfw for about 3 or 4 months now.

Not even any benefits, .3ds roms have no advantages over cias and NTR can do cheats last I checked.

.cia is much better than a .3ds.

Some people like to argue they're better because you don't have to install but you have to fuck with headers then so it's a waste.

Trust me, I'm well aware. All the gatewayfags talk about how much better the cheats are but I'm not sure if their opinion is that worthwhile.