Where did Nintendo go so wrong with the Wii U...

Where did Nintendo go so wrong with the Wii U? I wont lie and say I didn't have fun with the console or some of the games on it, but as a whole it baffles me all the directions Nintendo took on it.

First they announced they wanted to bring back the core audience they abandoned with the Wii and wanted to bring back third party devs, that only lasted for 3 months tops before they left. They made the console pretty pricey for what was barely better than an Xbox 360/PS3 in terms of specs but with an even smaller harddrive than both. After 2014 they gave up with the console, barely anything they released was a hit in the commercial sense or was loved by fans. That's not even counting the games they put out like Wii U Party, Animal Crossing Amiibo Parade, Mario Tennis, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, shit nobody wanted or asked for.

With Nintendo saying the NX won't entirely be a successor to the Wii U or 3DS, I wonder where they can go from here at this point.

They also said the DS wasn't the successor to the Game Boy

ebin meme XD

But what will it be then? Will it just be Nintendos attempt at breaking into the smartphone business, some sort of fitness shit nobody wants, I don't get it.

The name killed it for the casual market and the lack of support, both by Nintendo and by third parties, killed it for the core market.

I've at least enjoyed a few games on it, not even interested in a Xbox One or PS4 yet. Still pissed about all the censorship in recent titles though.

a mixture between shit fans and a stupid company.
Nintendo killed off it's audience until it was kids, moms, zelda/mario fags left

then these fucking autists went for mario clone #368979 while Bayonetta and Wonderful 101 were ignored.

this is same for me, I got fed up with WiiU and bought an Xbox 360

Who thought the name was a good idea though? I hear some people just thought it was an addon for the Wii. The "New" 3DS name is stupid as well.

If anything else it's a great companion system to other platforms. As for censorship, it's annoying, but I'm more bothered by not giving games like Fatal Frame V a physical release, especially considering how much space it takes up on Wii U.

At least they went for Splatoon, maybe there's hope that they're getting tired of the same shit? I just don't get why they seem to focus on Amiibo or gimmicks so much though.

As for the 360, get Dead Rising 1 or Crackdown for it. Or get a PS3, would recommend it just for the Yakuza series.

I partially think there's a problem with the fact that no one wants to make games for it. Other companies don't want to make games for it because the hardware is weaker than PS4, the gamepad takes up too many resources, and the architecture is too different and every game needs to be an unoptimized multiplat to even break even. Nintendo doesn't want to make games for it because they realized they fucked up, have to have a great launch for the NX or else it will tank harder than the Wii U or 3DS did at the start, and it's easier to make 3DS games, usually with reused assets (Triforce Heroes, both 3DS Kirby games, Happy Home Designer, Paper Jam, probably more I missed).

Simply put the Wii U was a mistake, despite me liking the concept they didn't really do much with it. Splatoon might be their best offering on the console, unless you have taste and like Wonderful 101.

Also, for that fag who keeps saying "NoJ cut off NoA's balls which is why they don't know what the fuck they're doing", would you really want modern NoA in charge of deciding what the American audience wants?

They scared Sony and Microsoft into jumping up their schedule and releasing 2 consoles at a loss.

Remember, the Wii U was supposed to go against ps3 and the 360. Two consoles that would still be in their prime if not for the sudden switch.

Well, that and the somewhat obvious collusion to deny them any and all 3rd party support. But that's a more general problem.

Still they have by far the most exclusive hits. There's no real argument against Wii U/PC combo as being the correct choice right now.

They made another underpowered gimmick-focused console like the Wii.
Some of Nintendo's gimmicks have worked, like the DS and the Wii, but they have to realise those were flukes. They can't keep pushing for gimmicks and hope their products sell on them.

I doubt the whole collusion to deny them 3rd party support, as Nintendo partially fucked themselves there with years of (probably necessary) draconian regulations and continued use of odd system architecture (apparently even on their powerful consoles), in addition to the growth of the "every game must be multiplat" idea. But I just went over all this.

The Wii U/PC combo is probably your best bet at the moment, especially since the Wii U finally has some piracy, Wii U emulators are a long way off from working well, Xbone's decent exclusives might be coming to PC, and the PS4 doesn't have any worthwhile games yet. PS4 will likely have some good games soon enough, but I'd personally wait on buying one until late next year, if that.

This guy is a faggot, but he explains it well enough.

I'll try out Dead Rising thanks user, been working through the cuhrayzee first

this. the NX needs to be gimmick free and on par with the PS4 and Xbox One or I'm done with them.

I used to be the autistic fan boy but I've grown up

Nintendo went wrong when they wanted the skylander audience but didn't know how to approach it outside of tying dlc to toys. The wii u was just an extension of how out of touch and behind they are.

Mirror.
Please excuse the low quality.

And its library of exclusives is only impressive compared to its two contemporaries, it pales even to the Wii, which itself paled to the Gamecube. Best hope is that they abandoned this one so quickly because they really, really have some good ideas for the NX.

Every first party title is forced by development standards to use the gimmicks somehow. These statements are simply incorrect. The argument you should have made instead is how it had shit 3rd party support and first party releases were far and few inbetween and everything is censored to shit anyway. That is the reason why the system failed. No fucking games. The multiplats it got were better on other platforms and usually received zero support on the wiiu.

I really didn't like it as much as most that much though it was by no means bad. Preferred Monster Hunter 3U, Pikmin 3, and Bayonetta 2 to it. Was also underwhelmed by Wonderful 101 when I played it.

No. This fuckwit doesn't know shit.
PS2 had fuck all at launch.
3DS had fuck all at launch.
They both went on to being 2 of the best selling consoles of all time. Not THE best but they're up there.
Nevermind the fact that the PS3 is codenamed nogamestation and again, it didn't fail.

It got games extremely fast, though.

How did you make that so quickly?

I gave it a small frame size and low bitrate, it only takes a couple of seconds to compress video with settings like that.

Which is why I specified core use, as in those things are an integral part of the core gameplay, not something like menu usage or basic side-to-side waggling as an attack.

We clearly have different ideas of what constitutes extremely fast. Yeah, it seems fast compared to the PS4 coming up on 3 years with only Bloodborne and a few games it shares with at least two other systems to show for it, but a year is still a long time to wait for games.

This is the REAL reason it's doing so poorly. Even as a hardcore gamer I didn't realize the Wii U was actually a brand new console until a year after it's release.

Another huge problem with it is the strange lack of cooperative games, which is something I've always expected to get out of Nintendo games. The only shit that me and my girlfriend can play together are the Side scrolling mario games (which get tiring) and Hyrule Warriors, which she doesn't like.

I meant: how did you download it?

There are multiple factors that lead to this

Perhaps the biggest one from a marketing standpoint. Nintendo failed to showcase that yes, it was a unique console.

The tablet really could've been great. The DS showed how 2 screens can be used and was successful. The problem was Nintendo failed to create any major game that really used the tablet to its fullest potential, and failed to showcase why it was important.

The Wii U didn't know what it wanted to be. Nintendo said they wanted to win over the hardcore audience, but with general fuckery, neglecting beloved IPs, and Amiibos they've shunned them. And of course the casuals aren't interested in it either. The Wii U is an unfortunate console that lacks a true audience.

Simple and self explanatory. Nintendo's the only one supporting the console and even then they've pretty much abandoned it now.

I think this is what seriously hurt the Wii U, without Iwata there wasn't much drive to support the Wii U and they just moved onto the NX.

Savefrom.net

Is that Scooby's nigger cousin?

Thank you

The Wii U was nothing but a logical progression from Gamecube – another bad value proposition from Nintendo relying on software with a well-defined and increasingly marginal appeal.

It really wasn't any different with the Wii – it just happened to sell extremely well to people who wanted to try the controller, non-gamers, and was helped tremendously by the PS3's colossal stumble out of the gate [much like N64 benefited from Saturn tanking in the US].

In the end, the Wii lost steam abruptly after 3-4 years, the PS3 rebounded as its price came down and it released games that reliable game buyers wanted to play, and Nintendo was forced to put out a new console without having gained the necessary experience in HD development and online infrastructure.

Clinging to the ultra-low power qualities, wanting to absorb the Wii's install base, and feeling a need to attach yet another weird controller to differentiate themselves, led to the design choices in the Wii U. It's a system that could have made a decent dent had it come out 2 years earlier than it did and had a simpler, more obvious name like Wii 2. Making a system a bit above the other two when the generation was already 6-7 years in was an obvious mistake.

It started off kinda slow, then picked up really well. It peaked with Splatoon and Mario Maker, then they fucked up Xenoblade X. Star Fox was always kinda niche, so I don't know if they were expecting it to save the console. Now we're waiting on the new Zelda, and have no idea if it'll even be on the Wii U.
Meanwhile we never got a Pokemon Snap game that used the Gamepad as a camera. We never got an RTS using the gamepad to direct armies. We never got a Metroid Prime using the Gamepad to scan things and use different visors. We never got a full version of the Metroid minigame in Nintendoland. The Wii U feels like a horrible case of lost potential. I kinda like the Nintendo-exclusive stuff in some games, like Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Minecraft.
At least Nintendoland and Game & Wario are fun as fuck with friends, as are MK8 and Sm4sh. Nintendo really knows how to do couch coop.

If had shit storage system but it was a very competent system that batled against 2 giants and a cult hit
The console itself has more games than both Wiis too

Its pathetic that the Wii U is STILL the only 8tg gen console worth owning.

Marketing.

/thread

Remove normalfag

Grab a copy of Nintendoland. It's cheap as fuck and has loads of good minigames. The Metroid one is especially good for coop, but you need a Wiimote Plus + Nunchuck.
If you can get more people then Game & Wario is good as well.

The new Zelda will be a dual release on Wii U and NX.

Fuck off to /r9k/ loser

you autistic fucks make playing games with Holla Forums a chore and you're all shitty fucking friends as well. God I miss when the bitter loners were a vocal minority

Fatal Frame uses it as a camera, but that game was the precursor to Xenoblade's problems. It was also 14GB digital only for a console that at most has a 32GB HDD.

It was a bad value proposition compared to the two consoles it was competing against. I'm not saying it was a bad system – the chip set was well designed and obviously both of their competitors went to IBM the next gen, so obviously they recognized it.

That said, it offered absolutely nothing the others did not aside from Nintendo games. It's all well and good for it to be a "cult hit", but Nintendo's internal projections for the system were 50 million units. It did not even hit half of that.

There were quite a few features Nintendo didn't include as standard, or were simply unavailable period, in order to hit the $199 price point. That they had to further cut that price down to $149 ~6 months after launch tells you what the consumer thought about the Gamecube even at a lower cost of entry.

The loners were never a minority on this site, m8.

R E M O V E N O R M A L F A G
E
M
O
V
E
N
O
R
M
A
L
F
A
G

What week was this?

Ok newfriend.

I'm telling him that loners were always the majority here, I have no sympathy for him if they weren't on whatever site he was originally exiled from.

I enjoy being alone but goddamn when did this place turn into /vr9k/

Been around Holla Forums for 8 years, but during the last half year or so there's been a huge influx of people talking about >3DPD etc etc.
Just look at 4am general, it's a fucking shitfest of a thread and it's among the most active ones. Someone from there told me how people say this shit to ward off normalfags from reddit etc and that it's absolutely necessary for the survival of this board's culture.

So Holla Forums becomes a cesspool of losers with the social rejects who hate anyone and everyone with a life shitting up threads with posts like

I miss when people were talking about this place being a new haven, people co-operating. When it was fucking slow as hell but the post quality was still great. I guess 8ch/v/ has become more like 4chan when all the pathetic losers who stuck there longer finally spilled over.

I miss old /r9k/ too, where there were adventure threads and a different variation to lolrandom humor, where the idea was to be original. Now that's just a shithole too.

It's all so fucked up. It's all so sad. At least people still hate SJW's here, but that seems to be slowly turning over too.

Holla Forums's only been around since 2013 you lying jackass.

Holla Forums started in October of 2013. Like I said: this site has always been full of loners.

good taste, bruh

Same. I hate how people naturally assume US NEETS HUH whenever you're here, when in reality, I just want to discuss niche vidya with other folks who don't know shit about niche vidya in god knows what reddit/ gamefaqs/ tvtropes/ insert faggy forum here shithole.

You so much as suggest people put some effort into trying a couch multiplayer session and folks who pride themselves on being a rock and and island will REEEEEEEEEEEEEE at you.

What other fucking Holla Forums do you think I'm talking about? 4chan's of course, before all those mods began deleting a fuckton of threads and I caught wind of this place

I'm out of this thread
enjoy your lonely virgin club, maybe ylilauta is better

on second thought, no. it isn't.

at least someone understands

sexy digits, cuh

Later.

This. The fuckwit indeed knows no shit. And not just based on the point #3, I don't know the reason to unironically shill for him.

So let me get this straight: you're upset that this site is full of lonely virgins because completely unrelated site that you used to visit wasn't?
What kind of fucked logic are you operating on here?

That's a decent idea, any chink backwater brand can make smartphone i don't think nintendo can't.

Fuck you, you're the kind that always looks for an excuse to give up. Nobody gave a fuck when Fred resigned. People bullied him and he gave up. Fuck you.

The part where they only slightly upgraded their previous console and just threw in a tablet/controller frankestein thing maybe?
I wonder where all that great third party support they were talking about went. Maybe if people would've bought the games instead of on disc DLC toys they'd still be there.

You're acting like Nintendrones actually buy anything but Nintendo products.

I wish I could even blame summer for these normalfags coming here to blog about their shit, but the truth is Holla Forums is become the quintessential le real internet that youtube vloggers and game journos keep marketing as something they can feel superior about understanding better than their clueless dad does.

Of course, they are right because this is mechanically a self-fulfilling prophecy. Dunning-Kruger effect in full force.

It makes me wonder who's more cucked as a whole, worthless self-pitying normalfaggots or goons.

What does the U stand for in Wii U anyway? I'm not sure if I forgot or if there never even was a reason.

They sure made it a point to brag about Bayonetta.

Very few games.

It can be the greatest console in the universe but if it has no games, no reason to buy it.

The games released that are worth playing, after all these years, are a tiny catalogue, and released at a trickle.

What would a Nintendo smartphone even look like? There have already been multiple smartphones released that were geared toward "gaming".

None of them really took off.

It's wordplay.
Wii = We.
Wii would like to play.
U = You.
Wii would like to play with U.

Iwata (and probably Reggie) said it a bunch of times.

Sony trying to take emulators down on Google Play when they released their underpowered android PSP Go didn't help.

Of course they would try to take down emulators. They essentially allow their past catalogue and IP to be used on a platform they don't control or generate any revenue from.

Ninty has no chance of doing a smartphone as they still design hardware like it was the '80s.

Nintendo's been so bad with hardware lately that I don't even want to imagine.
I love how when I slide pad broke they mailed my 3DS back with a paper saying it was fixed yet the thing still didn't work right just like when I sent it in. i never want to deal with their customer service again. The whole process was horrible.

Oh, I think I actually do kind of remember that. So it was just a pointless play on words rather than standing for something. That's stupid.

I didn't realize Sony made the SNES.

Not making any fucking games for it.

For a while there were a ton of games coming out.

And then just… nothing.

There are emulators for multiple older consoles out there. I think there are even some phones out there trying to make the Dolphin emulator work.

Just because a specific emulator targets SNES or Genesis and not the PS1, doesn't mean Sony doesn't see the writing on the wall.

They had a hand in making it.

I don't think inspiring badwill makes people more apt to give you shekels.

The part where they listened to third party developers

I believe that Nintendo is guilty of two things:

They Really need to start getting inventive again like they were with Gamecube or they'll have to settle with BEING a mobile third-party.

Well OP Nintendo admitted openly that they don't want to compete with MS or Sony.

Which leaves the hardcore old school Nintendo fans and casuals.

Nintendo chose to chase the casuals but they all left console gaming years ago for mobile.

And here we are today.

Since Yamaha made several sound chips for consoles that would give them the legal need to shut down emulators as well. I guess we could get in-depth.

Does anyone know what this even does?

I wonder if you can turn your phone signal while it's on with any of those. There's gotta be an airplane mode right?
I always thought a phone handheld would'nt be so bad if the games were available physically/region free and you could set it to not accept texts or calls or anything. There's just times I want to play a videogame and rather not have "Mom calling" pop up and block the screen while I'm trying to be emotionally invested in a JRPG.

That will be a shame for them then when all their fans get older and kids are nostalgic for Minecraft instead of Mario.

The GameCube was a great console if you got it for $99.

Nintendo never understood that exclusives are dead, people buy consoles for 3rd party support.

No GTA no buy.

Otherwise at best it will only be a secondary console for gamers.

That's only in summer, summerfag.

You can block incoming calls, messages and emails with "do not disturb" on Android phones.

Getting the Zelda bundle was a fun experience when I was a kid still dicking around with a N64 and one of those used older PS1 models that would eat your games.

I really, really hope the NX is backwards compatible because there are still games that I want to play like Tropical Dong or Wooly World. Not that backwards compatibility is even a concept anymore when companies can sell you your old games as digital downloads. Fuck, I just hope the NX is worth buying in the first place, which will be hard since Nintendo barely makes games anymore and almost no one else makes games for Nintendo consoles.

Oh, okay, sweet. I might end up just buying a gaming phone for my next one. Being able to emulate with buttons and not having to carry one of my real handhelds might be kind of nice and I didn't even know they had all those ones he showed in that post.

I highly doubt it will be, but it sounds like they're setting it up so it will be moving forward from there. I'd just buy a Wii U when they get super cheap. They'll probably even be on clearance when the NX comes out. I've seen stores that still have way too many.

I never saw that. That picture's pretty awesome.

I like the Wii U now but it sure had a rocky start. I didn't pick mine up for full price

I've been around for 10/11 years and I know for a damn fact that 3DPD has been here since 2012, in halfchan.

You're no better than said rejects as well, you sound like a real smug cunt mentioning your girlfriend, as if you're looking to be a validated in a stupid imageboard.

Seriously, if you're gonna make a jackass out of yourself, at least put some effort into it.
Now get out and contaminate another site.
You're better off on facebook.

Because they tried to get the Wii Fit audience twice and failed. They don't give a shit about what made them top of the industry in gameplay anymore, not after the Wii made bank while the N64 and Gamecube didnt.

Nintendo is dead, JUST let it go.

That doesn't explain the PS4 success.

I want to let it go, but its hard to when they've basically been part of your childhood and you're still attached to old games on their older consoles.