I was thinking about scenarios where Microsoft, Nintendo, square, ubisoft, ea, etc announce kickstarters

I was thinking about scenarios where Microsoft, Nintendo, square, ubisoft, ea, etc announce kickstarters

And I honeslty think these companies would get torn to shreds.

There are a couple of kickstarters that could use the attention from a big stage like e3. Mainly that Romero game and other stuff like jet set radio game that the guy wants to make.

But I don't think they would get positive reactions outside of the Sony conference.

Thoughts ?

Is Sony the only corporation that can get away with kickstarter s?

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.co.uk/2016/05/18/nokias_back_in_the_phone_business_sort_of/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sony only got away with shenmue because it's a game that's notorious for having a stupidly high budget to make, it's not something you can just throw money at without knowing if there's any demand.

Let's imagine if Microsoft another corporation with billions of dollars at their disposal announced this shit on stage .

Do you see ?

Even back then it was not that expensive, much less these days, what got Sega was that they just couldn't spend all that money in their dire circumstances, but they did anyway
I know most of the bucks went to make the technical specs but these days those are done already

The one thing Nintendo has unambiguously going for it is loads of money. Funding isn't their problem.

It depends almost entirely on the fanbase of the IP that's put up on kikestarter, the company itself might utterly incompetent but with enough stupid fans it'll be funded.

I wouldn't be surprised if I saw a Crash, Metroid, or F-zero kickstarter.

Shenmue was more because it had a cult following of people who were begging for it for years.

I don't think any big AAA studio would dare use kike because than the shareholders might find out how bad some games really are, imagine Dragon Age the kikestarter for example

Loads of money they stopped knowing how to spend

Oh they're spending money, but it's on a theme park in Universal and for movies produced by like 3 different companies

They're more focused on promoting their brands than they are making sure their brands have good games that live up to their legacies

It mostly went okay because it distanced itself from Sony (Kotaku and shit were the ones who connected them very closely to it, with no evidence). Since it isn't even Sega making the game, it felt more like Sony was giving them a place to announce, which is seen much better than Sony begging for money.

I expect Microsoft to eventually allow a KS announcement on their stage, even though those are really disappointing as hell. The whole Psychonauts 2 thing had me honestly excited… until I heard crowdfunding, and I realized Schafer was just announcing he was begging for more money (and we have no proof he didn't lie about how much actually got donated, since he runs the site). There would have to be something really magical to make people forget a lot of the latest complete disasters though, and MN9 STILL ISN'T OUT (and won't be until after E3).

too be fair their franchises already have massive legacies, legacies Nintendo plans in sitting on more or less

Look I bet people would of been expecting Shenmue 3 not to be high level graphics and to have been pretty cheap to make compared to 1 and 2
Like the case is, also Sony could of made a smart decision and just gave Suzuki the $3M n exchange for timed PS4 Exclusivity

Umm 80 million was the record break for quite a few years

It's scary how badly Sony can destroy the industry

Sony maybe the only Console maker next gen

Hahahhahahhhahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhhahahaa

Holy shit that's pathetic that you believe that.

Nintendo's NX will flop miserably, I mean probably only selling 3-5.5 million units and Microsoft will shift everything to Windows 12 or what ever the next one is called
While Sony is thinking of either making a PS5 or gong full stream service and noting how internet speeds aren't even a percent of the speed able to handle that then that unless you're a gook means unless Sony is unbelievably retarded there will be a PS5
Crap I guess that means no consoles after the NX because no PS5 then holy crap

Sony are the good guys thats why

They don't care at all, as long as corporate synergy is at full force and that latest game property has support for Kinect/Hololens® features, Cloud Computing functionality and SmartGlass™ connectivity with Microsoft's mobile ecosystem they're happy.

Whether the game itself is shit or sells poorly is irrelevant to shareholders. What they're interested in is seeing Microsoft acquire potentially valuable patents not make decent products that sell or are profitable.

That's why Sony is da good guy cuz they dun give bouh da money's.

They be good guy who be foh da gamas

Daz y I be happy to be donates muh welfare checks to dear leader Sony

It somewhat backfired on them. Yu wasn't happy because they didn't distance themselves enough, there was too much confusion and they missed the $10 million target because people were afraid it was PS4 exclusive as the PC version went almost un-noticed. He's been thinking about a second round of funding with NX and Xbox goals.

You are aware Microsoft just sold their phone business today?

I guess trying to force everyone onto Windows 10 cost them Billions

No I just woke up.

theregister.co.uk/2016/05/18/nokias_back_in_the_phone_business_sort_of/

This isn't really a surprise, part of their deal with MS stated that after something like 5 years they could license their brand to other third party manufacturers. All this means is that some shitty smartphones will have a Nokia logo on them instead of a worthless logo and brand nobody has seen before. Which is exactly what MS did with their Lumia phones.

With those chinks sold official use of their image by the end of this decade Nokia as a brand will be absolutely worthless.

But that was pretty much directly due to the Kotaku article, and I assume other sites ran similar speculation. I don't think they would have hit 10 mil, but I'm pretty sure the Kotaku article cost them a few hundred thousand, easy. Kotaku actually ran several anti-Kickstarter articles, aimed at Shenmu and Yooka Layle, specifically to take focus away from those KS in hopes of bringing it back to games their writers had personal connections to. It's shady as fuck, especially after so many published pro-Doublefine articles as soon as Psychonauts 2 came around. It was shameless as fuck.

The two crucial aspects were that it was a game very much desired, but for which hope had been abandoned, and it was not actually a Sony-published game.

If it had been, say, Demon's Souls 2 or a new 2D Metroid on Kickstarter, actually being published by Sony or Nintendo, then they would have got no end of shit for it because why the fuck would they need to resort to Kickstarter instead of just funding it themselves properly?

But, giving Yu Suzuki the chance to announce Shenmue 3 out of absolutely fucking nowhere like that, just dedicating a few minutes to a third party, then moving on, sure, no problem, all the best to them.

Sony did allow a KS for an IP they owned, Amplitude, before. It wouldn't be surprising if they did it again. Less risk as a business.