What's the dumbest plot twist in the history of videogames?

What's the dumbest plot twist in the history of videogames?

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/cow/res/212577.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Probably deadly premonition seriouslg why the hell was he somekind of lovecraftian demon? i still enjoyed the fuck out of it 10/10 must play GOTYAY

The villain is your son even though he looks older than you

Spec Ops: The Line

Fuck that entire game.

People used to defend that game on 4chan all the time.

That's not the plot twist…

I don't know if this counts as plot twistbut

Final Fantasy VIII

Hur we were all friends when we were kids! We just didn't remember because reasons!

I never said it was, I'm saying what I fucking hated about that game without spoiling the retarded fucking plot twist you autist.

Truly shocking.

Game was a near masterpiece.

Thats the point retard.

I didn't hate that, but then again I love both narrative consistency and pathos and the reveal later that Irvine was always secretly awkward and insecure because they'd all forgotten him (because they'd been using GFs for a while) and he hadn't forgotten them (because he hadn't) was something I enjoyed, especially since they signaled earlier how fragile he actually was when he started spazzing out and couldn't take the shot at Edea.

Oh shit you followed us!

user. There were far more stupid plot twist than TTEOT.
I still don't know why ff faggots clamor over that. She wasn't turned into fucking cherry pie on all over the place. It was a clean fucking stab that any basic healing potion could cure, hell even a fucking phoenix down. Nor did she play any important part to the overall story other than stop the meteor that the heroes sucked god damn too much to stop from coming. Jesus fucking christ that scene is over-rated.

On second thought, everything about this game was stupid.

The first half was decent.

Opinions I guess, it ruined the game plot for me

I love this game, and I can't even defend this plot point.
Or the entire final planet.

You've never watched twin peaks?

The problem isn't the twist.

It's that it's made way to obvious before the reveal.

I was going to, but i dont watch tv or movies.

No, there wasn't. None of the stuff you mentioned is as stupid as the plot twist in Star Ocean 3, the one that rendered every fucking entry in the series before and after it totally meaningless. That, to me, is champion emeritus and in this thread I'm honestly only waiting for someone to post second best.
Jesus you're a dumbfuck. Narrative and gameplay are separated in nearly all games. Did you also know that in universe Sephiroth and a three person party led by Cloud weren't waiting for their turns to hit each other, or that the Super Nova attack Sephiroth uses during the fight that features an FMV of it destroying the solar system doesn't actually destroy the solar system in the game?

The flashbacks kind of killed the reveal

The Matrix fight was neat and the chick you knock up was hot.

I'm looking for dumb twists, not good ones. That one was well done and was strong commentary on how retarded linear corridor shooters are from a narrative standpoint.

I know Call of Duty has been shit since CoD4, but come on.

The thing is, most people in general could live through that. So it's even less believable even if you don't consider all the shit that they are capable of living through or that most are capable of some sort of healing magic. She was stabbed from the back and through the stomach by a thin sword. No twisting the sword either. You would die from bleed out from something like that. Any adult in that situation wouldn't die that easily. It would have been much more believable if she was stabbed in the heart.

That's probably a mental attack. Because the black materia would have been made pointless if he could do that shit the whole time.

I would say the ending of Mass Effect 3 and how it was bullshit the whole entire time wasting a decade of investment into that series.

These are two contenders

Bioware should have cut out 90% of the foreshadowing, then the twist might have actually been a surprise

IMO, they handled Jade Empire's twist a lot better than KotOR's, the foreshadowing was there but not sticking out like a sore thumb

I thought the first two had decent plots. But Infinite? Fuck that shit man. With all the trans-dimensional parallel universe bullshit nothing you accomplished in the game even mattered at all apparently. It tried way too hard to have a "mindfuck oh so smart and confusing" plot twist and ended up just being dogshit

How do you invest that time in a series that was only 5 years old when ME3 came out?

Any of David Cage's "games"

Fun game but man was the shitty twist hyped as hell.

PURE COINCIDENCE™

I thought the first Bioshock did it well, there was plenty of set up but it wasn't totally obvious and it didn't come out of nowhere. Infinite though? Yeah fuck that whole game.

That ending was clearly changed weeks before release. It made absolutely no sense at all, it was like they replaced the original ending with the end of a different game.

To be fair the mad have strength.

>this is an important plot point, and is key to the twist making sense

Nah. If they were going to use that kind of plot point, they should have shown it somewhere in the gameplay rather than having it be something told to you.

Don't be a fucking dumbass, twists only work when you don't know there's a twist coming in, that's why M. Night Shamalamadingdong's movies stopped working after the first two. If someone had told you "Go watch the Usual Suspects, the twist is amazing!' you would have figured out the twist immediately.

And if his attacks were just savage blows, I'd agree. But they tried to play up how tactical it was because of the dodging and tried to claim it was training.

I still can't believe people act like this is the pinnacle of the game's moral dilemma shit.

That wasn't the fucking twist though

At this point it's just straight up devil's advocate and not what I believe but what you were seeing could have just been what he was imagining in his head and in actual fact his rampage was just batshit gorilla blows like what Torque's monster mode was in The Suffering

Wait up, so being stranded on an ship full of killer aliens actually drove you insane? What a fucking surprise there, didn't see that one a mile away

i dont know much about silent hill but isnt the point that all the monsters and shit are in the persons head. if so that could just be his own reasoning. "oh shit better use my special forces training against the hellspawn"

Only when you meet Ryan did the keywords forced you to do things.

Also, it felt like someone pointing a gun at someone with diarrhea and telling him to take a shit on the toilet.

I doubt it user. It was so obvious from the get go, even if I didn't know about some big twist I would've figured it out. Hell at first I thought that it couldn't be the big twist because it was so predictable there's no way that be the thing everyone hyped up.

Also knowing that there are big twist doesn't mean you can figure out what they are a head of time. Going back to David Cage's "games". His twists are so fucking stupid and make zero sense there's no way you'd know what they are until they happen.

NARRATIVE AND GAMEPLAY DIVIDE. I agree with user, Jade Empire was one of my favorite games of all time and the twist was foreshadowed beautifully. The speech the dragon spirit gives you about someone wanting you to see, but not too much; wanting you to succeed, but lose when it matters was terrific. Not even a fucking suspicion the first time through of what she was talking about, just figured it was retarded mystical platitudes of the sort you got in Morrowind from spaced out freaks like Vivec, but man.

Some games imply this. SH2 the most. Other games SH1 pretty seem to imply the monsters are definitely there.

It didn't change shit dumb ass. At the start is says hundreds of years past the 2nd story. It doesn't tell you what fucking universe was effected by that time does it? So you are assuming it was the 1st universe when the game itself never fucking clarifies this cause the plot never mentions jack shit about the past games influence. Either fucking universe could be the one Star Ocean 1&2 could be based on.
And no fucking Duh about narrative and gameplay being different. This doesn't stop the fact that Aerith suffered a wound that could be hardly fatal. Considering they are getting shot at on a constant basis and obviously suffer potentially bone breaking injuries. Hell if she was cut in half or decapitated than I'd understand. But she wasn't. It was a single clean stab and they have healing abilities in that world.

David Cage is a retarded hack, the shit he does aren't so much twists as asspulls. Good twists are ones that are obvious the second time around and are foreshadowed, for example the restaurant scene in The Sixth Sense.

If I was a millionaire I'd buy the Jade Empire IP. Bioware is clearly never going to use it again and I wouldn't want modern Bioware to touch it anyway. But I found that wuxia genre is really fresh ground for games in general, outside of fucking MUSOs, and would have liked to have seen that series grow into a bigger game with a more refined combat system (maybe something like Sleeping Dogs).

The powers of Silent Hill turn a person's nightmares into reality, so both are true, or at least they were until fan theories about multiple dimensions became canon. They come from the visitor's subconscious but they are most definitely real physical monsters.

You're a faggot. I do admit that amnesia spin is always shitty, but when it at least have an explanation is not that bad.
They lost their memories because that's aside effect of magic, which isn't natural in that world.

I hated actually because it's fucking irrelevant to the plot other than the fact that they already knew the first witch.

OP MC with harem/polygamy. God I wish.

Defintely not having this conversation with you. If you seriously don't think SO3's twist didn't obliterate all the stakes from every SO game that came before and after it you are too fucking stupid to live. Besides, Star Ocean 4 is the immediate prequel to Star Ocean 1 and it references and foreshadows '4D beings that would be like gods to us' in Centropolis.

These are real imaginary people! In REAL imaginary trouble!

I'm with you. I fucking love spaghetti easterns like the old Golden Harvest films, they seem perfect for videogames yet they're almost never made. What the fuck gives?
It's my favorite Bioware game. I was pining for a sequel for fucking years but after DA2 I hoped Bioware would just fuck off and leave the memories alone.

no Mystery of the Druids, really? no one?

Apple and Silicon Valley at a whole were all working for North Korea all this time!
Watch the trailer. I'm not even kidding.

so like physical manifestations of personal demons? maybe the devs were going for a "silent hill makes his delusions about him self true" or someshit, idk sounds retarded.

It's not totally farfetched when you change NK to China, which is the actual villain in all these games that gets swapped for NK so they can sell it in China (this is literally what happened to the Red Dawn remake). Remember that story a couple of years ago about how Chinese chip manufacturers were all slipping killswitches in the microchips they were manufacturing for the pentagon? Shit's not so farfetched. It happened in real life too to Argentina, Margaret Thatcher bullied the shutdown codes for the exocet missiles France had sold to Argentina out of the French prime minister and left the fuckers helpless.

user, why are you in denial?
Twist was dumb, but not the worst. That is what I'm saying. More of disappointment.
I'd put SO3 up there with Tomb Raider 1 psone.
Now a truly terrible plot twist?
This is top 5 of dumb plot twists cause if it's a military/government game, 95% of them have this twist.

Did anyone actually play that? I thought we just liked the box.

It was cool, but it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

There is narrative and gameplay divide and then there is show and not tell. That was a lot of telling and not a lot of showing. The game was telling you something that was completely the opposite of everything shown in gameplay, up to and including the fact that your character learns multiple new styles over the course of the game.

If the flaw were somehow reflected in gameplay, or in the way the choices played out, then I would say sure, that works, but it is only directly told to you.

What drives a company to make such a game? a sequel to the game that helped bury THQ, a game in a genre that is shrinking year on year, a game that isn't part of a long lasting successful series and a game with a story that sounds like God is not dead for patriotism. This game is a train wreck in the making but is so low profile it will derail in the station and the people riding it won't even notice.

The meme is far more famous than the game and honestly more fun too.

Oh that is clever. I never noticed that.

Not Nicole being dead, the chapter name thing. I figured out she was dead pretty much right away (the 'listening to an old message' thing has been done to fucking death, even the fucking Avengers movie did it, the moment she didn't specifically the FUCKING MONSTERS RAMPAGING EVERYWHERE HOLY SHIT I knew it was an old message and she was almost definitely dead.)

Would you have rather they stuck you with one style throughout the entire game just so the twist was reflected in gameplay? Fun beats concerns like that in videogames user, always. Anyway your allies pointed it out it was extremely subtle to the point of invisibility. I think Sky even concluded it wasn't even actually there and was just a clever ruse for opponents to get distracted looking for the flaw and leave themselves open.

Friendly reminder all the levels of Time sprinters 2 are playable as Easter eggs separated in different black market arcades.( according to in game lore it's the only way to play video games after North Korea shutdown the Internet. Besides working for North Korean occupiers.) Deep sliver was going to reboot time splinters if Homefront sold well enough. Time splinters future was banking on Homefront. Right now it's only true legal way to play time splinters 2 on PC or new consoles is buying Homefront the revolution.

Probably that pointless twist in Murdered: Soul Suspect where you find out you were one of the killers. Might not seem dumb but the way it was revealed and how it was acted out was incredibly stupid.

Ghost Tricks

Never saw the plot twist coming.

Emulating the NGC version if you ripped your disk yourself is also perfectly legal user.

goddammit, you even fucked it in your OP in the other thread. how does this happen?

What's the second?

The only good Bioshock.

Bionic Commando and the wife arm

if this ended the way it was supposed to (breaking her fucking neck, like he promised), it would have been a lot less forgettable.

I saw it coming, but that's cause your master screamed villain.

You really should, especially if you loved Deadly Premonition

They also did it in the third game

They look like monsters to you ?

The end of Mass Effect 3 :^)

That's a difficult question OP but i would have to go with Dima being Nick Valentine's brother and the endings are either to replace the children of atom leader with a synth, nuke far harbor or the children of atom, or kill DIMA, Red death is a mirelurk that does nothing. 

Was the ending really a twist when the plot was nothing anyways
The ending was the least of ME3s troubles
It has to be the most mediocre game ever made

Don't spam my thread with that, nobody here cares about that shit.

don't get all triggered just because a game told you your protagonist was wrong.

you're not even playing yourself in that game, you're playing the US military

No one can tell the difference anymore.
All protagonists must be a self-insert of the player.
All stories must be about the player by way of the MC.

You're not roleplaying you stupid fuck. You're controlling another character who has to do X and realizes that he's a monster for doing it whether he had a choice or not. It's impossible to talk about video games with you millenials dumbshits.

Peppy surviving in Starfox Assault.

Just played that a few days ago, that was such a pointless thing. Why even do the dramatic sacrifice if he was just going to survive anyway. And even General Pepper survived? That's so insipid

i want to play a well-written, compelling RPG character full of personality and quotable dialogue

i hate this gay earth.

That's deep man

No, user, that's actually just false legal.

You don't even have to use a real bios or firmware everything is HLE, it's as legal as it gets.

It was babby's first deconstruction made by pretentious people for the COD/Halo crowd who don't know any better
If it what at least subtle about the message they were trying to convey, it would had been fine, but it keeps on trying to guilt you, the player, for your actions in a game.

The loading screen switch from gameplay tips to pic related

Hell, one of the writers said that a valid ending was to stop playing

Yeah, but is it true legal, really? I don't think something that's true legal would be like that.

Read up on Bleem vs Sony, if the jewish powers of Sony nintendo and sega combined couldn't shut it down then it's legal, end of story.

So why does the game make it like the player is guilty for playing the game?

Oh yes, guilt tripping.

The ones praising Spec Ops are the millenials.

I'm sorry about your vagina.

It's a video game version of heart of darkness, do you think that is 'pretentious' too?

What is the big change just because you're playing the story? You sound kind of like a feminist now who says that if you shoot a hooker in a video game that means you're a closet serial killer.

the point is that the game attempts to make the player feel responsible
but it utterly fails at making me feel so, because it never gave me a choice
when you feel guilty, you'll also feel regret, that if you didn't do X, Y never would have happened. But in Spec Ops it's not possible to feel regret (aside from having spent money on the game), because you ONLY could do X. I don't feel responsible because my actions never had an impact on the world, everything was completely predetermined. Compare this to games like VtMB, Alpha Protocol, Iji, Undertale, and Fallout where your actions do have consequences. Any resulting consequences hit the player harder because YOU made them (unless you were roleplaying), not some stand-in.

Spec Ops' message might've been delivered better if it was more subtle about it (like NieR), or if it wasn't a videogame in the first place. The writers did not understand the possibility of interactivity (unlike NieR) in storytelling and fell flat on their asses because of that.

You don't really know if Reznov died or not, the only thing you know is that he brainwashed the fuck out of you and that's actually the plot twist, you simply hallucinating with an old friend could be an intense war trauma, but the surprise is finding that this same old friend programmed you to kill some commie masterminds and THAT what causes your hallucinations

And in black ops 2 You don't really know if the real Reznov or an hallucination rescued you in Afghanistan

No, that would be the devs saying this

and yet you never turned it off. kept wanting to be mr.big army man and then didn't like what you saw.

This game is actually does really great until the twist, and then oh boy does it shit the fucking bed

I cant even remember how it ended
I also dont remember playing condemned 2 DLC, how bad was the twist in bloodshot?

Mad Max.

It wasn't really much of a twist though, since it's pretty obvious that Max would end up alone again because that's kind of the whole point of Mad Max. But it felt like the writers totally forgot that Max is supposed to end up alone, so they just found a way to kill everyone off in the final mission at the last second.

I didn't even know the game had DLC

Super columbine massacre RPG Eric harris and Dylan klebold were Heroes all this time. Because God was the true villain because he Let humanity have free will. That why Eric and Dylan were so sad. Said a moogle from final fantasy. ( the columbine killers also meet Mario, South Park Satan and Megaman in the game to) Seriously danny ledonne is pretty much the edgelord Phil fish . Super columbine massacre RPG is one of most autistic nillhism fap piece ever. It's just game journalists circle jerk over a RPG maker game for being so deep. Mind you a RPG maker game that both graphically and gameplay wide poorly made compared to something like five nights at FuckBoy. /cow/ pretty much exposing Danny Ledonne for being full of shit.
8ch.net/cow/res/212577.html

Your pic? My game just says condemned 2 and has a green cover

The real plot twist: It's not an actual game

Bloodshot is the game's subtitle. I don't think the game has any DLC

People like conspiracies so lets have both major factions be run by the illuminati…

Also HM2's ending, while not technically a twist, was dumb as shit. Frankly the story as a whole was pretty poor. Just a bunch of characters brought up and killed off without any actual plot.

Huh apparently its called condemned 2 bloodshot in america but its just condemned 2 for the rest of the world

is that an offical hotline miami 2 cover? i really hope not

No idea but it shows up on their publisher's website.

Why not? It's pretty cool

that's a shame

shouldn't the art direction tend towards "killers in miami" rather than "hipsters on drugs"?

Actually the first game had that twist about the Shouters cult, it just ruined the whole game for me, the game was sold on being based more or less on the worst of the human psyche, like every name was nothing more than a psychopath or a drug addict.

And for the most part, the plot was basically you chasing after a serial killer, you really felt like an FBI agent on the hunt for a madman turning you into a madman in the process. But then you get to the school level and "NOPE, IT'S GHOSTS, AND NOW A CULT OF MONSTERS" The last fucking level is just an onslaught of those screaming freaks.

The fucking game is called Condemned Criminal Origins, what fucking criminals if it's all caused by a cult of monsters?

The guy in the cover is one of the characters, Vietnam veteran, plus the game takes place in the 80s, so what we consider hipster now, probably was common back then.

I always thought of Hotline Miami 2 as basically the aftermath of the events in 1, there is no real structure, just a bunch of different characters dealing with the aftermath.

What the fuck are you even talking about dude? Do you even know what "Role Playing" means? It flat out requires self-insertion. The "robotic replies" are there so that you can decide what your character is saying. Have some fucking imagination.

Same shit about "it's all a videogame test" in the Witness. Jonathan Blow must have some kind of problem to make stories this shit.

Your son is the villain and you have to kill him or nuke boston.

Seriously, now, that's stupid.

My least favorite ones are 'WE WUZ GOOD GOYS ALL ALONG BRO WHY U KILL US?' and 'YU WUZ WORKIN' FO VILAIN ALL ALONG'.

He is not on drugs. This is one of the characters being swept away by atomic fire. He is the same bearded guy you see in every store in the first hotline miami.

You don't nuke boston. If you choose to kill him then you blow up the reactor in his base. If you side with him then you help make that reactor.

You should play Alpha Protocol. The gameplay itself is kinda eh (I enjoyed the experience overall) but your choices actually have effect, and Thorton is a legitimately entertaining and well-acted MC.

I want to throw this fucking game into traffic. I want to go to Japan, hunt down every single writer involved in this piece of shit, line them up, and force them to jump in front of a train.

Not necessarily defending Blow, but 'it was all about atomic bombs' feels like a massive oversimplification. The game is thematically deeper than that, in an 'art defies interpretation' kind of way. It's like saying 'Oh Nineteen Eighty-Four is about the dangers of communism' and leaving it at that.

Pretty much this. I'm not gonna feel guilty for doing X when X was literally the only thing the game let me do. Doesn't matter if it's a "choice" that wasn't really a choice at all, or the main character was simply a little too late when the story was designed so you'd always be a little too late no matter how long you took.

With that said, the game being tragic or making the main character feel guilty is fine as a story concept, but I, the player am not going to feel guilty for what I had no influence on anyway. If I read a book or watch a movie where the main character screws up, I don't feel personally bad, because I wasn't the one who dropped the ball. And the same logic applies to games where you can't possibly not drop the ball. You can't be responsible for something you had no influence on, and it makes no sense to feel guilty for doing something you weren't responsible for.

The game got supernatural elements from the start, people all around the city had been reporting nightmares, birds are dying left and right and people with more criminal element were going berserk.

So really it was not dumb at all, especially when the lore behind the weird metal-jaw monsters was left unexplained. They gave a cool Candyman-esque "real urban legend" vibe to the game. Or other comparison would be another murderous modern ghost like Sadako.

It only got dumb in the 2nd game which ruined everything. The weird monsters were fine when they were mysterious monsters. But now they are suddenly just a bunch of cultists lead by american president and theres some huge conspiracy behind everything that made no sense and was Hollywood-tier garbage from the get-go.

At least Rearmed was fun.

I only now got around to playing Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon and the plot the fan fiction levels of retarded.

The first big concern is that pokemon are being turned to stone. When a pokemon gets turned to stone they actually get transported into an alternate dimension where they retain all their possessions and walk around and talk with other pokemon that turned to stone. If you find a door of light, then you come back from stone.

Since the story is really original, the other big concern is that the Tree of Mana is dying. and when the tree dies, the planet drifts into the sun.

But now for the big bad guy reveal!

It's negative emotions.

f you were ever mad or sad you helped create a generic orb of darkness that wants to destroy the world.

Also the orb tried to destroy the world before but was stopped because of the stars aligning or some shit.

Also the tree of mana flies into space at one point.

Oh, and your pokemon partner is the reincarnation of Mew and he gets ascended at the end.

But it's a fun game.

The Line is shit, the game itself is generic and boring as fuck. People like it because "MUH STORY"

I kinda wish Deus Ex went to the extreme with using conspiracy theories
Like Hitler was a Jewish plant.

I thought things got pretty dumb right at the end of Xenoblade, but what really bothered me was Shulk suddenly having a third Monado right at the end. If there was any reason for that at all, I completely missed it.

That wouldn't really fit with the tone of the game, though.

True, but if you didn't really enjoy the tone it did have, then a different tone might be a good thing. Based on what that guy was asking for, I think we can assume he would have preferred a different one.

Black Ops 3 was worse.

It was all a dream.

SO3's "it was a video game all along" got me laughing at the stupidity, but SO4's "you went back in time and blew up the Earth, don't worry though it was just a parallel dimension Earth" basically made me quit because I stopped giving a shit at that point. The game was already boring and slow JRPG cheese; a shit plot makes it unplayable.

Wave existence son

Yeah, you're right.

The third monado was Alvis

Basically Alvis got bored with Zanza doing his god routine over and over again and wanted to see something new. So Shulk became god, Alvis gave him a new, super powerful monado, and then wondered what sort of world Shulk wanted to make and unlike Shinji, he didn't pussy out and instead "wanted to live in a world without the need of gods".

Greatest plot
Also Christina best grill

The NICOLEISDEAD thing from Dead Space mentioned earlier in this thread reminded me of how Treyarch love doing that stuff.

wew

I thought that Alvis knew Shulk somehow had a Monado all along, not that he gave Shulk one. I don't remember Alvis, for example, having anything to do with Shulk just deciding to come back to life. Which was apparently because Shulk was somehow a god too.

Also, if you ask me, Shulk made a pretty weak choice when it came to his new world. Main characters always go way too status quo with those things. The correct answer is a paradise with no suffering for anyone ever, and don't say that's impossible when you can LITERALLY make the world work however you want, right down to the laws of physics. When 2+2 could equal 5, or purple for that matter, and triangles don't have to add up to 180 degrees, the world could be simultaneously perfect for everyone.

fucking autists, man. this is exactly what I'm talking about. you can already fucking decide what your character is saying and how he feels; that's what dialogue options are for. i'm saying the writing and delivery itself sucks. i don't wanna self-insert as a boring twat. PCs always have the weakest, blandest writing, and autists like you are to blame.

Remember that the devs didn't even want to make a shitty pop-a-mole cover shooter originally, but a hardcore squad tactics game. The story came to be out of spite for the project. It's still pretentious as fuck, but much more entertaining viewed in this light.

How is this plot twist dumb? It makes perfect sense

Dead Space 2: Better personal plot hides large scale plot's twist that space Scientologists didn't build the obelisk, but Earthgov. And there are a bunch more on other space stations.
WHY?
Because they look so damn nice with the architecture? It makes space monsters. That's all they do. No other reason or possible application for having them around is given. Umbrella at least had two reasonable motives for making the T-virus.

Doom 1, 2 and 64, you're a angel killing hellspawn.

The problem is that it now devalues the game's world. Nothing matters because the characters have no stake. This is just a high tech "It's all a dream" plot.

While we're on the subject…
Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword. The game that makes the fan theory timeline spaghetti canon and tells us that Zelda, Link and Ganon all have no will or motivation of their own and are just fated to be puppets for some silly war of light and dark. Getting mad at Ganon now is like getting mad at a dog for peeing on a tree.

Picking an already set reply is not deciding how a character feels.
You're not even self-inserting.
Go play Fallout 4 you massive faggot

At least the soundtrack was Tip Top Tier

Dumbass. They are archetypal figures and archetypes are archetypes precisely because they recur.

kek

The Eternal Sphere stops being an MMO and starts being real after Luther's defeat.

Fuck this stupid fucking psychic mutant nigger.

I can't believe I wasted all that time blowing up their home just to be told lmao they're good boys they dindu nuffin they was tryin' to help and you killed them goy :^) then escorting this stupid psychic nigger minime for half the game while he fucks with my vision only for him to leave at the last minute to rescue a bunch of other grown-up Dark Ones in a vault in D-6 who then all proceed to FUCK OFF WHILE ANGRY COMMIES DESTROY THE ENTIRE STATION LEAVING YOU TO BLOW YOURSELF AND THE WHOLE STATION UP

Fuck Last Light.

That works on a meta level. We understand that's how it works because it's a story and certain stories need particular elements in its structure. Space captains not figuring out to jump out of the way of rolling space donuts? Of course, it's a dumb horror movie and people have to die in stupid ways to up the body count.

But if characters acknowledge this in the story and it's played completely straight and serious it comes off as lazy and drains any kind of chemistry or story depth.

Every single story choice/motivation/event is now explained with "because they're fated to". There's no reason to care about the characters or story, because the game sure doesn't.

Thank you for spoiling the story of XCX because I probably never going to play that game in life because I don't know Moon and I refuse to play the censored version that America and Europe got.

I thought the ending to Xenoblade was fine, but the twist with really being in the future part was a bit out of left field. Other than that, It was fine.

wow you are retarded. Even in 2033 it was pretty clearly presented that the dark ones were had no malicious intent and were just couldn't communicate without fucking peoples brains.

Technically still correct. Every single SO game made after SO3 is set before SO3.

You're not wrong.

Even if something has no malicious intent, if it harms your kith and kin it needs to be destroyed.

I don't like how the author makes the Dark Ones in the books like they dindu nuffin, fuckers caused death and then when Artyom kills alot of them, apparently they were all messiahs to save humanity and now without them Artyom has doomed humanity

What a shitty way to explain a great triumph over autistic mutants who kill people simply by spilling their spaghetti when trying to talk to people.

It's a wonder these guys don't wink out of existence when they get this far up their own ass.

Anything with excessive Time-Travel, Alternate Universes or both.

>People like conspiracies so lets have both major factions be run by the illuminati…
Fuck off, that was that game's ONLY masterstroke.

This, got to the hamfisted "YOU HAVE TO USE THE WHITE PHOSPEROUS" part and it wouldnt let me go down the ladder to kill all enemy soldiers despite it clearly being there.

Danganronpa 2.

lulz it was all just a dream

but you totally die in real life too, so all you reviewers better not go writing about how this made everything go completely flat and stateless :^)

While we're at it, have the three worst characters from the first game drop in and solve the entire mystery for you

This is what I expected to happen in DR1, and it didn't and it was glorious.

Danganronpa 2 ending: it was all a simulation lol

I really liked the game up to that point, aside from the third murder since it was inconsistent.

But the real winner here is:

Literally writing a plot just around a shitty twist. Fuck you Uchikoshi, third game will be a used buy if even that.

But it does have value in the game's world, which is the point Luther.
They have emotions, which allow them to do things, both good and bad within the confines of their own universe.
Next thing you'll tell me is that the actions of the Neo and gang within the Matrix has no meaning because lol it's all fake or the actions of Nier because none of them have souls

What's stupid about it being a simulation? If it's just because it's a simulation, you're being a retard.

I don't think these games need to get anywhere near this weird with their plots, the high points of all of them is figuring out how the crazy murders took place. I think they should have just found a setting that explained why they would be forced into the killing game and leave it at that, there's no need for this to be some kind of weird apocalypse or computer simulation.

Also any ending along the lines of "it was all a dream/simulation" is a cheap and easy way to write yourself out of a corner.

lol retards, it was blatant from the very fucking opening scene that the whole thing was VR shit. the actual twist was
you were the despairs all along

A cool aspect of this reveal is that it is foreshadowed pretty much as soon as you get control of the game. Once you're given control of Squall in the classroom and the menu becomes available, you can check the classroom monitor system and find info about rumors of memory altering effects in the G.F. category.

Maybe you just didn't understand it?

Thought WiiU piracy was a recent happening, and someone was already patching XCX to have the uncensored stuff
sage for offtopic

I guess HM2 was supposed to be nihilistic

I heard they never wanted to make a second game in the first place, but the fans hyped for it so much they decided to make this cashgrab in a passive-agressive way
They didn't deliver the map editor to this day

On the bright side, we are getting a fan made Hotline Miami 3 for free in August. Yes, it's post-apocalyptic

Level editor came out in beta form in marchnice quads

That doesnt fucking work in a medium where the whole fucking point is interactivity and choice.

If my choices don't matter or I lack the ability to choose in any way then maybe it shouldn't been so fucking preachy or it should have been a book or a movie.

Call of Duty: Black Ops could have been really cool, huh.

It takes an unbearable faggot to deny what's right in front of him

A quote of Matthewmatosis to ya

Ironically doing it is still doing it.

I said condemnation, not parody. Can you not read?

And I never said parody, can you not read?

The moment I found out about it being a simulation I had the same thought, it's just a cheap cop out. But they gave it a reason.

I'd be more disappointed if it was just a simulation and nothing else but the reason they did it kinda made sense. Taking the crazy out of them by removing their memories and putting them in a simulation so they can make new ones is a lot better than just finding out they're in a simulation just because cop out.

Goddammit user: condemnation, parody, ironic criticism, it doesn't matter it still not a good game.

You know a game's plot is horseshit when fanfic-tier garbage like "Squall's Dead" is better than the actual storyline.

I thought Squall's dead was official

No, let's have an honest talk.
First, a parody is a spoof, a condemnation isn't. Yes the game plays out like its counterparts if you ignore literally every single shred of context, but human beings generally don't do that.
Second, the gameplay mechanics are standard (not shit, standard) but the set pieces, details and writing have clear effort put into them. And if you think I mean "FEEL BAD BECAUSE THE GAME TOLD YOU TO" is what the writing was going for then go play the ending and epilogue again and tell me how you missed the point after all that.

Third, the game's clearly inspired by Heart of Darkness and the contemporary state of the modern shooter. We agree the mechanics don't stand out on their own, but you have to be really obtuse to think there wasn't some inspiration in any of this.

You got the bad ending fam

Two words: Sora face

Lmao suck my dick

Not every game is supposed to have a rewarding ending that pats you in the back and tells you "gud job u did well" faggot, just like not every movie has a happy ending. The game is a medium to convey an experience.

Your son is the villain

doesn't stop it being a shit game by shit devs

What many people don't appreciate or perceive about SO:TtEot or SO3 is that the plot starts a kid at a beach resort with family, to another planet, to another galaxy where people are not yet developed technologically and living in feudal times, enough plot cooks here to FORGET that the real plot is there and suddenly out of nowhere ALIENS and you're like "oh fuck" and remember this is about space.
You go from another planet in another time-progression wise to another galaxy, to the ends of the universe, and then to another dimension, and then all that gigantic expansion showcasing how big the universe is just to show this universe is nothing but one little videogame encapsulated in one server, and a fourth dimension exists where people created it.
It shows how big the world is and puts into perspective how precious each lifeform is.

The other thing people forget to perceive is that the biggest strength of Fayt was his ability to adapt to the truth and reality and continue forward no matter what the circumstances. He embraces reality and pushes forward. The opposite of SJW, liberals, and whiners who don't want to work or earn their own wealth. Fayt moved on and embraced his party members, their issues, his issues, and the issues of the world and stepped forward to fix them, even though each and one of them was more traumatic and giant than the other. The whole "BTW youre just a videogame and your world and life is a lie" did not stagger them one single bit. He decided to understand more and , once knowing more, deciding to always do good or whats good for his world. The irony is that his name is "Fate" yet he shapes his own fate and does what he wants to do and what he believes is best for him. The conflict is whether that is of his own true choice or his free will is merely also code of the videogame and part of the prestablished character which created it. He states that no matter what he will do what he thinks is right, pre-destined or not, and he will not surrender, and showcases that the journey is as important as the destination.

With that said, I don't believe the plot twist of SO3 was dumb or not appropiate, or rather, it was not a twist at all. It was already expected if you take into consideration the philosophy and norms the game tries to convey throghout the player's experience.
The structure of ever-growing world and panorama for Fayt had a predictable pattern. And it was well done in that regard. I can see what the author tried do.

Extra rant:
localization can be a broken-telephone sometimes and wither what the author or writer wanted to convey, which is why the western player needs to have tolerance to the incompetence of localization, learn japanese, or demand a higher quality translation which respects the author and the writers instead of memeing it up for marketing purposes. Then again you can't blame them for wanting to make profit, because games are a for-profit business after all. This is why I highlight the importance of having tolerance to the children that are NoA among other localization teams. Don't let them ruin the experience for you. always be aware that the writing has been translated if you read something and it doesn't go with the theme. Briefly put, Localization is also to blame for "dumb twists" when they are the ones also responsible of delivering the execution

Kek

Not to mention it wasn't in the original Japanese version. And the game doesn't take place in said solar system.

My nigger

Ayyyyy confirmed for millenial.

Any game that has the temerity to try and browbeat you for doing what it forces you to to unlock the rest of the game you bought and paid for is a shit fucking game. Take your Heart of Darkness and shove it up you ass you pretentious fuckwit.

The problem with SO3's plot twist isn't what it does to the game but what it does to the series. If SO3 had just been a one-shot game, than it would have been, at worst, a boring uninspired twist, at best it could have been one of the better ones in gaming. Having be a game inside a game isn't something that other media can do (i.e., Q reveals to Picard that he's just an extra in a TV show).

However, the twist of SO3 undermines the stories of every other game in the series.

"Hey Claude, remember how you saved the universe from the 10 Wise Men? Lol, that was just a server event in an MMO! Nothing you did mattered!"

"Hey Edge, remember how you accidentally destroyed a parallel Earth, resulting in the deaths of billions? Remember how your friends didn't think it was a big deal? Turns out they were right! None of those people were really alive. In fact, considering how it was a parallel dimension, the probably didn't even exist in the game until you got there anyway. So no worries, nothing you do will ever matter anyway!"

Funny you mention this. In DS9, there was a one off episode where Captain Sisko thinks that he's a science fiction writer for a pulp magazine in the 1950s named Benny, with the other cast members being stand ins of popular writers. It's a neat meta episode showing how powerful science fiction as an allegory, especially for the underprivileged can be.

However. they considered showing "Benny Russell" again at the series finale where he'd tour the station and then reveals he's on a set and walks out, but that was thankfully squashed for the exact same reason you give for Star Ocean - every other series in Star Trek would have been "St. Elsewhere'd".

even nanomachines would have been a better excuse

Can't believe that Snake didn't also look at the camera at one point and ask everyone to clap and believe to shut down Metal Gear Ray.

i honestly can't believe people defend metal gear solid 2. like, i agree with most people that 4 was weaker overall but the amount of deus ex machina and handwaving in MGS2 still pisses me off

It really is "Plot Twist: The Game" everything is a big damn twist throughout the damn game.

Knowing Kojima, that might have been the point, cackling like a mad man when writing each contrived twist because you'd "never see it coming".