Good FPS Games

Let's have a thread where we reccommend each other first-person shooters and discuss why everyone else's opinions are shit.

I really enjoyed Far Cry 1 surprisingly, it was simple and fun. It was pretty hard, with each enemy being particularly deadly but also being able to kill most people with a well placed headshot. The battles were varied and forced you to strategize instead of going in rooty-tooty-mass-shooty. There were definitely some parts that were horseshit, but nothing insurmountable.

So tell me, Holla Forums, what FPS games do you like? No id games, since we all know about them

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PIikukPw9f4
source.bungie.org/
resurrection.bungie.org/
moddb.com/mods/shogo-ikari
moddb.com/mods/shogo-hydra
mediafire.com/download/d5705ohv2xxf3d4/Infinite_Fear_r1.zip
pastebin.com/9xYUx4nA
youtu.be/c-vzwQZoypE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I liked NecroVision for it's B-Movie style.

Also Turok. Remember when Nintendo consoles offered more than just games for children?

FEAR I'm a complete sucker for office cubicle farms, especially since they're dying out

I have turok 2 for the n64, is it worth playing?

Oh I dunno user, it only has the best fucking weapon in any FPS ever.

Holy shit

Guess I know what I'm playing after I beat dmc1 on hard mode

Trust me goyim, these are the true greats of the genre

Ah, a vintage blunder of a game. Nice pick.

Is Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising any good? There aren't a lot of quality videos on it, and I only saw one video that actually goes in depth into what the game is actually like (with mods). I've been craving a good tactical shooter with smart AI for a while, so hit me up with some of that too.

wait for the pc port

you're probably better off with Arma, but it might be worth a pirate to check it out
The flashpoint games are only around because the arma guys split off after they got jewed

speaking of blunders, is Daikatana really as bad as it was made out to be?

BO III was decent and stayed true to it's roots while giving significant improvements in gameplay. The other two are just shit.

I don't think so, it was just one of the first cases of years of hype resulting in nothing

Really not worth playing though

How so?

fear 2 is better in every way you nerd

There's a lot of emphasis on wall jumping, wall running, and special powers that the other CoD's didn't have. At least the devs were trying.

By embracing how embarrassingly shit the series has always been :^)

Im watching videos of Turok 1 and 2 right now and looking at it now it's really impressive what the games managed to pull off back then. Sure, Turok 1 had lots of fog due to performance issues but the level design and enemy interactions were astonishing. Dismemberment, monster infighting, sentient enemies fleeing the Cerebral Bore while animals do not…

The true kings of FPS is here.

opinion disregarded tbh.

But FEAR 2 is better than FEAR 1, user.

Let me guess, you think that the AI in 1 is better because they vocalize more, even though 2's AI is actually improved, but just has less vocalizations.

I remember the thread that started Radical Operations or whatever it was called and I told some user it was my birthday and we started organizing shit. It scares me that it doesn't feel like a year and 2 weeks ago.

This has to be bait
This has to be bait

Really? I don't remember black ops 1 being pay to win garbage.

I miss ROB, E.Y.E and S.T.A.L.K.E.R threads.
They're so few right now.

What happened to ROB and why don't we have the other two anymore assuming that E.Y.E. wasn't about the multiplayer.

R.O.B. is coming back in September.
You could always just make an E.Y.E. or S.T.A.L.K.E.R thread if you want.

All I remember about that game is there being large, dark war-torn maps where dozens of people are launching grenades at one another so the sky was riddled with tracers. It was fun.

That's Advanced Warfare, and apparently Bl3ps doesn't even do it half as well. Does it do anything to improve the single-player experience or overall gameplay that Blops 2 didn't already attempt?

Yeah, but that has no effect on gameplay. CoD has always been stupid, the new games going all cyberpunk have just made them stupid and unfocussed.

there should be another game like this

I still play CoD4
Still want to go and play through Black again on the ps2 but I'm too lazy to get a network adapter.

Funnily enough, Turok 3 is my favorite. Could be due to the fact that it was the first one I'veplayed but I loved it to death. Scared me as a child at times.

I personally like all of them, but RS1-3 are the best.

R6:3 is the only good rainbow six game.

I don't remember the MP very well, since I was a kid back then when my brother played it, but the SP is a blast too. It's pure one man army sandbox with no tacticool co-op shit unlike ARMA. Everyone dies in one shot, or two shots when wearing vest or hit by small caliber rounds.

I said that the devs were trying, not necessarily a good outcome, but there was an attempt.

BLACKED on XBox is better.

I seriously hope you're not reffering to any parts that had mutants in them.

When it's worse than a previous game in the series, that's not trying.

I wasn't, the shotgun made mutants your bitch

I was mostly talking about the final level and the most of the parts with long bridges

System Shock 2
Half Life 1
No one lives forever 1 and 2
Call of duty 1
Vietcong
IGI 1 and 2
Far cry 1
FEAR
Prey
Crysis 1
STalker Soc
Singularity
Medal of Honor Airborn
Hard Reset
Cryostasis
Shadow Warrior

i played every single FPS ever but cant remember half of them

The final level is only difficult if you go in with no appropriate weapons and no grenades. The OICW makes it a cakewalk.

I think this is a bit off topic but is there anything wrong with the accuracy in CS:GO or am i just bad? and does CS 1.6 have the same problem?

FarCry is fucking garbage. It marketed itself as an open world game, yet is so linear. FC2 is better.

Haven't played CS GO, but CS 1.6 certainly had some of the worst weapon handling I've ever seen in a video game.

Jesus Christ.

Just a few more people haven't mentioned

The crazy maps and shit is what really made 1.6 and Source cool.

CS:GO has none of that since mostly everybody uses the matchmaking system.

you mean the pc port that happened a decade ago?

Nah

Actual open world game are all fucking garbage user, granted FC2 isn't even close to being the worst of them since later FC instalement and bethesda games exist

Nah, it did some things better but the fucking mind numbing and boring samey engagement, A to B bullshit and shitty semi mandatory trademark collectible hunt than made it far worse FC1 could ever be.

Stray bullet.

you're a cuck tbh

at least it was open world??? STALKER is a better game and series btw.

I said it before in a previous thread about good FPS games, so I'll mention it again here because no one has yet.

Blood was the last of the trinity that 3D Realms was making, but they sold it off to Monolith so they could concentrate on Shadow Warrior. It's sort of a parody on the horror genre, but it's got a great soundtrack that definitely sets the mood, the art and level design fits really well for the theme, and the gameplay itself is really fun. It uses an enhanced version of the Build Engine.

If you haven't played it, but liked Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior then you owe it to yourself to give Blood a shot. You can get it with both expansions under the "One Unit Whole Blood" title on gog and steam for about 5 bucks.

Nice buzzwords, open world games are all fucking garbage with very little exceptions and generally those exceptions are when the world is as compact as possible.

The world is fucking boring and empty, you only explore it if you're doing a mission or the stupid fucking collectible shit

True but STALKER maps aren't even as big as many FC1 levels, so much for open world.

any pics with FPS infographs?

But Bethesda's games + NV are all dank and replayable, even if not all of them is good. Morrowind has an imersive large varied world that isn't empty at all.

But it wasn't a false premise you nig nog.

But it allows you to finish missions in more than 1 way and makes exploration very rewarding. That makes it more open world than farcuck.

Great graphics and physics, but bad level design and flawed mechanics tbh. The stealth is broken as fuck. 1 is better.

Personally I think it's the high point of the whole raycast 3d shooters, It just gets everything right, the only bad point is the amount of pop culture references throughout, but luckily the game manages to have it's own deranged sense of humour.

cs 1.6
because most of you abandoned a perfectly good skill based game for a shitty csgo game developed by people who never touched 1.6. HLE made csgo, and css. They literally made zero other good games that are relevant. Keep pandering to the masses and micro-transaction/materializing a game that used to be based on adrenaline and fun.

You're right, it's terrible. Never even bothered with it.
it's been a long time since I played it so it's mostly just fond memories, but I remember thinking this too.
example…

You wouldn't believe how shitty accuracy was in csgo's early stages. I was in closed alpha/beta and one time they had it SO BAD that you 100% could not headshot with an AK from medium to long range.

We compared it to 1.6's spread accuracy and showed that it was waaaay off, you could snipe with the ak in 1.6, 1 to 2 taps would line up exactly with your aim. People actually took the side (and the dev posters) that lowering accuracy "raised the skill ceiling". We were telling them at every mechanic that RANDOMNESS does not raise skill ceilings, it actually lowers it and lets casuals kill you easier. Fucking retarded dev's.

I think only Crysis blew my mind like Black did on PS2. I kept thinking to myself "holy shit this looks so good" the entire time I was playing that game.

You can't see the grenades being thrown around in the jungle. Enemies can see you through long grass, even though you can't. Also, that one level where you're supposed to infiltrate a mansion with a sniper tower, I don't know what the fuck am I supposed to do.

F.E.A.R. is my favorite FPS.

I also love Half-Life 2, but for a very different reason. The gameplay is good in HL2, but it's mainly about the adventure it takes you on and it's interesting setting.

F.E.A.R. on the other hand has a generic plot and setting that really doesn't take you anywhere interesting. That said: Every single squad encounter is a wild ride all in it's own. Plus I've never played a FPS that made me feel so bad ass.

I'm not really very good at first person shooters so I always quit before the end though once they stop throwing squads at you and switch to more bullshitty enemies. Maybe one day I'll get good and finish it.

I enjoy Overwatch because it have semi fast combat and many fun and unique heroes that plays different than normal fps games. Game is way more skillbased than spray and pray CoD here you need teamwork that i really enjoy

And? levels are large or very large, provide you with several way to deal with situations and encounters and actually reward you for exploring with the added bonus of not being on the same map for the whole fucking game.

Only starting from CoP, and the more I think about it the more I see it plays like FC1 with NPCs and quests.

that has to be a sarcastic video about a stupid mod

there is no way that cod has degenerated so much that they are showing that as normal

right?

I kno anons like to say "i can't even believe it" for hyperbolic effect, but I actually can't believe this is a real advert. there's no way.

Only to die over and over again by bugged 1 hit kill mutant enemies spawning out of nowhere. You need to follow a certain path in FC1.

Nah, the rewards sucked, the item and enemy placement sucked, it's a broken game.

CoP had more freedom than SOC, but SoC still has more freedom and less buggy scripted sequences than FC. Only the last level is very linear. Also, SoC lets you try out different arsenal and build that makes it feel less restrictive.

I've been playing a lot of console shooters lately. While the analog stick limitation is a bit intimidating at first (PC gamers will be playing like that Polygon guy playing DOOM 4), the games are very playable, and some are very good. Namely, I've been playing Black, and plan on playing the Time Splitters games following that. The level design in Black is great, and the emphasis on secondary objectives gives you plenty of reason to explore and discover some awesome weapons and really explore that sweet destruction they have in the game.

I think the difference between analog and mouse controls is greatly exaggerrated. Of course, a mouse is a far better tool, an analog stick can be, I estimate about 70-80% as effective. Really, it all comes down to how experienced you are. It wouldn't surprise me if people who are shit with analog don't even know what a claw grip is.

Excellent taste.

I tried getting into but the controls are so fucking horrendous and I don't have the patience to learn DOSBox and get the right resolution, etc.. For some reason FEAR plays like ass on my PC but it's an overkill set-up with Windows 7.

None about the whole genre.

The game is a bit beefy when the action gets going and it starts throwing particles all over the place, but it's old enough now where you shouldn't have problems. Maybe do some ye olde trouble shooting.

That's another thing about the game: It's really worth playing just for effects that go off during battle, really visually stunning to watch. I also love looking at the battlefield afterwards and seeing the damage, between bullet holes everywhere to splatters of blood where I finished someone off and the settling smoke, there is just something beautiful about the whole thing.

Like a really well scripted John Woo scene, only it wasn't scripted and I was just making shit up as I went along.

Enable pixel doubling.

If you think Half-Life 2's adventure is good, then you're going to cream your pants so hard that you will save a ton of money on coffee when you get your hands on Unreal.

The nigger that made it should be lynched.

Whoops, posted same image twice.

People who have problem with trigens are casual, they're dumb as fuck, very predictable and make a ton of noise, the only ones who are any danger are the jumpers and rocket launcher guys on realistic all the other are easier than mercs by a long shot.

The only places where you absolutely don't have a choice on your path are the ones that are exclusively inside buildings and those actually have some pretty frustrating firefights if you're not prepared I'll agree on that

You find the best weapons in the game, hidden vehicles, gliders, armor and full heals that's pretty fucking good when any one of those makes your live several times easier and you miss half of that shit if you go on the "main path".

Nah, in FC the NPCs had the decency to die when I actually fucked up and not because they felt like it, the only one I can think of that's actually bullshit is the vehicle turret section because the game assumes you have a full health bar, godlikes reflexes and a perfect knowledge of the enemy placement unless you play on lower difficulties.

The arsenal of STALKER is as varied as the one from FC, and FC has much less obviously tiered guns.

Lower your audio channel to 16, disable some hid devices in your device manager, known bugs with new integrated audio chipsets and some mice.

Don't do stupid shit like enabling AA with softshadows using an external program it murders your fps like crazy.

Arena shooters scare the fuck out of me because I always assume the campaign is balls hard to prep you to get raped online. Still, that does look fun.

If you guys aren't aware Turok 1 resonantly got a updated PC port done by Night dive studios, and there working on a port of Turok 2.

also going to port them to Xbone
(if anyone here even cares)

no word if they plan on working on 3 or evolution.

Unreal's campaign is not related to the multiplayer component unless you're playing coop.
It's hella good.

Okay, sweet, I'll check it out. I've actually been on a kick for games with that generation of graphics lately anyway.

I rather have Rage Wars with online multiplayer.

I've been trying really hard to enjoy it but the bosses are god damn awful and I have no idea what's going on.

Cryostasis is gr8

Wouldn't mind some Rage wars PC with multiplayer, I kind of wish they partially upgraded the graphics or had a program where I could submit higher quality assets for these games in return for some cash money.

These right here are my favorite FPS games hands down, i also really enjoyed Crysis 1.

You're confusing 'Unreal' with 'Unreal Tournament.'

UT is the multiplayer-focused spin-off of Unreal.

oh, also

You nerds have no idea how much I'm desperate for Midair to be good.

people who have a problem with trigens like fun enemies that engage with the games mechanics. The trigens aren't fun to fight. They're boring, predictable, and put in stupid situations, and with bad placement. Trigens are the opposite of interesting. There's no ebb and flow to the combat, it's just dump ammo @ target to kill ASAP. Use vehicle ramming when possible. Not interesting. There's no meaningful use of weapons, you're pretty much forced to use specific weapons against them in order to dispose of them effectively.

They are boring, uninteresting, and tiring to fight, and essentially make what is a pretty alright game into a pretty shit game.

Thankfully, Crysis is a tremendous game.

And that's why you generally have ways around them if you don't go guns blazing and they only really appear in 4 levels out of 20 and don't actually require you to fight them directly all that often.

You're not, only a couple weapon are useless for pretty obvious reasons (machete, MP5, RL)

That has you fight bullet-sponges aliens for a good quarter of it, if you're gonna shit on trigens those guys are equally bad and unlike in FC you can't avoid them or drown them.

oh, so 20% of the game is shit, glad we could come to that consensus. The best way to play them is to apparently avoid doing any actual game play, because its so bad you're better off avoiding it.

I can forgive the aliens (at least they aren't totally shit and unfun like trigens), mostly because everything before them is great. That, and Warhead made them work.

20% of the levels have trigens in them, doesn't mean they're actually numerous or even in your way.

There's no ebb and flow to the combat, it's just dump ammo @ target to kill ASAP

I forgot about those games. Always thought they looked sweet.

I'll probably catch some flak for this, but Medal of Honor: Allied Assault has a special place in my heart. Don't want to play it because I'm not sure how well it's aged and don't want to ruin the memories. Oh and also, DOOM (2016)

Allied Assault was great though.

except when they are, such as when they are first introduced, when they are placed inside a tight corridor, and when you're on that pitiful downward mountain level. You did play on the realistic difficulty, right? I don't know if this changes the enemy quantities.

Repeating the same phrase thinking it holds any weight, the first sign of a confused fanatic. The thing is, unlike trigens, the aliens respond to stealth, they have a flinch state, while never as enjoyable as humans, they certainly don't take nearly as boring a beating as trigens do. The aliens will die in two shotgun blasts on delta. Much more reasonable. That, and the options alone are much more fun in Crysis than in Far Cry. Even simple things like moving around, thanks to the suit, are far more fun than Jack's slow pace.

oh god, i still remember the enemy mercs being able to see(and shoot) you through tents on higher difficulties

Plebs, all of you.

they can do it on every difficulty apparently. The AI was always broken in far cry.

Mechwarrior 3/4. 2 is just slightly too old for me to care after playing 3, but it's alright. 4 is blatantly unfinished, or at least, I hope so.

Planetside 1. Last I heard it was completely free now since people expressed interest in it in light of PS2. I'll still never forget the time my task force snuck around the enemy, got tanks from their own bases, and defeated their forces that halted our faction's advancement in a combined push from several outfits, outnumbered by the enemy zerg.

Arma 2. I once fell out of a helicopter twice in a row, and survived both times despite Arma 2 having the worst falling mechanics since ur mum gave berth to ya m80.

Dishonored is a decent game, if very short.

Gone Home.

When they are first introduced you get to fight one or two in the building where you can easily see them coming then the rest are in the forest where you can either grab the humvee or go through the tree platforms, or are you seriously telling me that going into a dense jungle with tons of blind spots is anywhere close to a good idea when there's fast melee trigens around?

It's almost like they're way easier to deal with that way

You mean the waterfall one where you only have a rifle and 10 bullets?

Why would I bother finding specific arguments when your justification as to why aliens are somehow not as bad as trigens is pretty much "because I said so"

You're saying that like stealth doesn't work at all on the trigens.

So they die about as fast as a monkey trigen, and that's only the shittiest of alien scout, the freeze ray ones I'm almost certain are a tad bit more resistant and the huge ones are bullet sponges of the same degree as the big mutants in FC.

That's a bug in some version, they didn't do that originally, the 1.41 patch or FCAM fix that.

That was a year ago? Fuck me.
I'm glad that I was a part of it though.

Do I need to say more?
Runner up would be Duke Nukem 3D

I actually enjoyed Dragon Rising quite a bit - even on the PS3. If you get a chance to play the campaign coop then go for it.

hah no

U-UNATCO?

best soundtrack, also name another game where your Machine Gunner routinely shouts

fuck i remember that game, with the shield nigga oh yess blew my fuckin mind at the time, first game with like rumble shit i ever played, niggers throwing shit at you until you cant see through it anymo, bash niggas heads in all visceral and shit, played it on a tiny ass tv in a shed

fuck can i emulate this?? completely forgot about this game

No ;_;

I really want to play it again too.

Classic Day of Defeat.

Source is shit.

Did you forget that you get thermal vision that makes enemies glow bright purple through grass?

Really? I don't emulate games I'm a weenie but I know I played a PS2 demo of it. I heard XBox emulation isn't quite there yet but since it's on PS2 it should work, right?

uhh hello? youtube.com/watch?v=PIikukPw9f4

user, no. Most PS2 games can be emulated. Riot Response is one of the few that experiences problems.

Hm. I ain't experienced with this stuff, but if my memory serves me right, it used the Source engine, didn't it? Would that have anything to do with it?

Unreal really is an underrated game. Creams the pants off Half Life honestly

I can't find any reference to it using the source engine - it used the same physics software as source though.

It's also incredibly fun to play LAN if you get the chance.

But Romero does love Brutal Doom, and it easily trumps every other WAD, including the originals.

Just look at this Visceral® Gameplay©

Rip and Tear™ fellow gamers!

Guncaster exist.
Trailblazer exist.
Demonsteele exist.
Project Brutality exist.

BD might not be as bad as some say but it ain't even fucking near those 4 wads.

BUT

WHERE'S SERIOUS SAM 4

They did a more semi-serious ad for the previous DLC with the same character, but with the dumb writing and the overblown character was so silly I guess they just decided to go all out.

My africano americanos

use a different mouse or disable one of it's drivers. I'm not joking, I had a problem with the game running fine for a couple of minutes but dropping to single digit framerate afterwards.
google "fear framerate/performance mouse"

That is, if what other anons suggested didn't help.

Don't worry user, one day the trigger word will be spoken and all that virtual murder training will kick back in.

This shit on higher difficulties makes my dick hard.

Farcry 1 went to shit once mutants showed up. Their AI is probably like 3 lines of code.

It's an amazing FPS, the expansion was too. Should be required to have played it before arguing in FPS threads. It still depresses me they went on to make a cancerous console game full of dick jokes.

Correction: HALF of them went on to make a cancerous console game full of dick jokes.

The other half went on to make the same game again, but less visceral, less fun, and somehow, possessing an even less coherent narrative.

Bulletstorm?

UT 2k4 best vehicular combat in a PC fps.

OK, I want a game like EYE, but without all the stupid bullshit.

EYE did a lot of things right, but it gets so many things wrong that I can't really enjoy it.

Here's the breakdown:

Things from EYE I loved:

THE GUNS HOLY SHIT THE GUNS. Every single weapon in that game was fun to use, even the janky ones. From the mac-10 thing with a bullet-powered-chainsaw alt fire which become completely broken with the perfect accuracy cyber mod, to the grenade launcher with an automatic fire option, to the 4-shot revolver which could take down a goddamn airship in one shot. The melee weapons weren't too bad either, though the delay on some of them was super awkward.

The inventory system was perfect. Structuring it so that power weapons were limited, but not TOO limited, and you could carry as much as you needed as long as you were willing to put up with the speed malus, was a good way to structure things.

The atmosphere was cool, and playing as a zealous enforcer of… something was interesting.

But then there was the bullshit:

The RPG elements were completely and totally broken. For example, you normally need to spend 2 points to increase a stat past 55 (or maybe it was 50, I don't remember) but if you take mortal wounds on purpose, you can temporarily lower your stats and upgrade them while they were lowered for cheap.

While I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of doing bonus missions to get extra Brozoufs, the way it was set up was kind of stupid.

The story is completely and totally incoherent. I know that this was on purpose, but that's no excuse.

Psy powers and cyber implants ranged between completely worthless and ridiculously OP. Being handed a psy power that instakills the final boss at the very end was pretty stupid design, IMO.

The map design was… bad. Some people will disagree with me, but it was mazelike, and not in a good way. I appreciated when you could do things like use your cyber-jump and such to skip portions of the level, but wandering around lost and confused is NOT fun.

Energy and health recovery should have been handled better. Anyone who's played the game should know what I mean.

So yeah, anyone know of a game with EYE's approach to weapons without all the shit I just complained about?

Bulletstorm was the cancerous console game. The other game I was talking about was Hard Reset.

Here's a bunch of forgotten gems: the Marathon trilogy by Bungie. It was nicknamed "the thinking man's Doom" back then because it had similar gameplay but the writing was really complex. Too bad only old Macfags remember it now.

It's free and multiplatform now: source.bungie.org/
And there's a TC of M1 for UT: resurrection.bungie.org/

I never liked the level design with enemies spawning right on your face, reminds me of Serious Sam, just lazy and cheap.

TRY MOOM ITS JUST LIKE THE ORIGINAL RECIPE

You faggots are super queer for masculine dick.

moddb.com/mods/shogo-ikari
moddb.com/mods/shogo-hydra
you might like these, I did

I really should go back to Jedi Knight. I loved that fucking game.

That and PREY.

operation flashpoint

I liked Source because MG42 but DoD is objectively better game. More guns and no aiming down sights.

Shame, it's actually a really good shooter with awesome gameplay. The non-existant story has its funny moments, but other than that, the game delivers a cool open-world shooter with lots of missions and quests to do. Combat/movement system is nice,and the weapons feel good to use.

The AI in the game can be funky sometimes, for example causing the person you have to kill being run over and killed by a garbage truck. Funny shit though.

The only downside is that things might get repetitive, and to reach a 100% play, you'll have to search off the whole map.

I haven't picked up JC3, is it any good? Any fun?

But that's not an FPS.

Trips confirm my fail. TPS then?

Just Cause 2 is great for a casul game to just fuck around. But dont ever say that a piss easy forced auto aim game has awesome gameplay, it makes you look stupid.

If it's a "great casual game to just fuck around" it by definition has good gameplay. You don't need to be a contrarian in this thread, user, there are plenty of shit threads in the catalog where you could play that role.

bullshit

I really have to give this another go sometime. That fucking shotgun.

This is one of those "rough diamond" games, I know is that it had a cult following in the Czech Republic, and for a reason too, this game is sort of like Operation flashpoint meets Vietnam, but a tad less realistic.

0/10 shitty game

Go play Cry of Fear instead.

Worked perfectly for me. No crashes, no lost saves.
Then again, it's been some time since I last played it. It's entirely possible that Valve update something semi-related again which broke stuff.

Na, happens to everyone.

Go alt+tab and tell me how well it runs. Devs admitted to fucking it up badly.

Why would you get flak for that? MOHAA was awesome back in the day

I've beaten Chapter 1 3-4 times now. Chapter 2 never ever, fuck. It's so good.

user, I'm not talking third-party anecdotes here. I played it myself without problems.
Alt-tabbing being broken is possible though. I don't alt-tab out of games, because whether it works properly or not seemed to be a question of luck. Many games I played either refused to alt-tab out correctly, leaving a black rectangle on your desktop, outright crashed or would refuse to go in focus again, also leaving you staring at a black screen.
Don't know why, but alt-tabbing has always been weird with games.

I want to believe.

go back to counter strike and cowadooty kiddo, adults are talking

you can't really have fast paced shooter without enemy hitboxes twice their size

Gotta be an idiot to do that. Nevermind the fact that you can easily borderless fullscreen all Source games.

I've been waiting for the SDK13 port to replay this. Expected it be released somewhere about a year ago. Still waiting.

Maybe Source is cursed?
>still no Ricochet 2

I know I probably shouldn't but I'm still a sucker for CoD games. idk they just get the core gameplay right and make it fun and fast, a shame you have to deal with the idiots playing the game, rather shit matchmaking and the bunch of pointless toys added with each iteration. BO3 went into overdrive with the specialist abilities that in most cases are literally press A to win, completely numbing the fun gameplay base.
CoD4 is still among my favorite FPS of all time, and I think there's a place for a simpler CoD-like game. Something without unlock trees up the ass. Something with less choice, more straightforward.

Also the first half of Crysis 1, until Core. The aliens are just bulletsponges and the latter half when you have a failing suit and have to keep warm is cancerous, but the first half where you can plan your attacks on the enemies, execute different strategies based on how you want to fuck their shit up, eventually use vehicles or some explosives and wreck their houses. It's something that you can see to some extent in Far Cry (including FC2 that for all its faults could be very engaging if you tried to do things in a more stealthy way), but that Crysis pushes to the next level with the suit's capabilities. Even just the demo can be worth hours of fun trying out different strategies and approaches. Definitely a game that was mostly praised for the grafics but that delivers a lot more.

And all the PS2 MoH. There's something deeply amazing about fending off the nazis with orchestral music in the background. I would instantly buy a new WW2 CoD or MoH game as long as it gives you these feels.

Everyone's stuck porting to Source 2.

Who is this "everyone"?
All I know of is that Dota 2 is being ported. The rest of the team is apparently split between VR hardware and making hats for TF2.
They sure as fuck aren't working on any games.

By everyone I meant about every team for an unreleased major mod. Why even bring up valve themselves? They got nothing to do with it.

Wait, you mean Underhell is being ported? I haven't been keeping up with the news and just wait for a headline along the lines of "Official Underhell Chapter 2 release date confirmed".
Fuck, is Source 2 even properly out already?

I don't think the guy said it directly, but it's strongly implied in the september 2015 post on the moddb page. He's complaining about source getting dated, and him building new content in a way that is easy to port to a new engine.

Well, if he didn't talk about Source 2 specifically, I wouldn't rule out the others that have nice license-models (UE4, Unity, CryEngine).
I have worked with Source myself and switched to Unity. Man, Source is SHIT. Don't get me wrong, it runs well, but the development workflow is awful. I remember that back when Source 2 was first mentioned by Valve (I think it was in the context of Portal 2), they said themselves that they are spending more time on the tools than the game itself.
It's just that bad.

JC3 is fun, but the performance ranges from nice and smooth to unbearably horrible. Some have it working perfectly on a cheap AMD setup on high, while someone else with a high end Intel/Nvidia setup mine worked near perfect has extreme framerate problems regardless on settings. I even preordered the game off a key site for 30 bucks. I haven't played it for 3 moths though, pic related, but haven't seen any patches to it during that time either.
Also the cars are still shit to drive, although might not be as shit as in 2, which depends on who's driving what. I don't know what the story is trying to be, but who cares.
Oh, also forced online bullfuck that keeps disconnecting, so you're better off blocking JC3 in your firewall's outbound rules.
Just wait until the GOTY edition goes for 20 bucks or something. Refund if bad framerate.
Did I mention that it runs like dogshit on PS4 and Xbone? The game was optimized, at the very least, questionably.

Let me tell you about Serious Sam

Farcry 2 is one of my favorite shooters next to stalker.

Sure it was heavily flawed and nothing like the original, but pretty much every gun fight I'm in puts me in a situation that almost feels contextual, because of how crazy it is. Like a AAA would script this shit ahead of time.

I mean if farcry 3 had the same level design, same intensity, same everything. Just fixed shit like the AI all knowing the same info (meaning if one guy shot you another could shoot you through walls), cut the driving in half by not making you have to go to the fucking village everytime you wanted a new mission, etc it would have been fucking perfect.

From left to right, this is the entire plot/game in a nutshell.

Comfy shit man
Still no mention of the first two Aliens vs Predator games thought.

Thank you user, I always appreciate honest advice. Cars have always been shit, but once you've got the hang of it you should be able to drive within the lines. Did you get it on steam? I was planning to get it in the summer sales when it'll be 50%.

Also, what setup are you using? I am planning to build a new gaming pc in a month or so.

Nope, but repetition is never bad!

Wait for a crack, all the bundled DLC or at least for the multiplayer mod to be finished.
I suck Avalanche cock and even I thought the game was dissapointing.

It just removes much of what made the first two so good.

From a key site, in this case it was GMG. Used a couple of vouchers to drop the price. You should get it at 50% off, but only after all DLC has released. Otherwise look for a better deal. It also uses Denuvo.
See attached image. Being an euro, I spent a FUCKTON (read: 1k eurodollars) of money on this thing a year ago. Ordered the parts from Germany excluding the case and monitors. Decent prices compared to what's here in Mongolistan. Shaved off at least 250€ on it.
There's going to be a bit of a drop in grafics prices when Nvidia 1000 series gets released.

pls kiddo i played MDK on release, auto aim is cancer

Pick one.

I didn't even get to be part of the PvP matches because laziness.

Do I have to fear? Eurofag too.
Dutch to be exact

Quite a nice setup, looks like one of a friend of mine. WX for him though, poor soul Looking back on your setup, what would you have changed? Are you able to run every game you would like to?

Also, 8 GB ram? Isn't that a little too less?

When I am going to build mine the 1070 is total go for me. W7 and done. Dunno what the rest is going to be. Probably a black+blue or black+white setup, might have something to do with my peripherals.

I still do not have the slightest idea why they haven't introduced multiplayer yet. It is so sad to see a game with such a MP potential so SP.

Probably not, but you should always check the price difference between German and local online retailers.
It's pretty much more powerful than what I actually needed, but still pretty good. 8 GB of RAM is just enough, since I'm not either buying in to the VR fad, neither do I work in the graphical field that much with the computer.
There was a trailer of sorts for a multiplayer mod akin to JC2's from the same team. Don't know about at what point it's at either. There's no info on the site, or anything related to them, about it.

Why is Invisible War bad? I had a blast playing both that and Project: Snowblind on the xbox original. Never played any of the other dues ex games.

>mfw I knocked out my qt 3.14 girlfriend while she tried to kill me after choosing the Technological Renaissance ending in the statue of Liberty. With the foolish hope of when she woke up and it was all over we could finally lay down differences and start a family.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Is there a correlation?

I fucking love FC2 as well, the atmosphere is one of the best in all of gaming, but I always lose interest when I get access to tier 3 weapons.
I've played it three times until the point I get those overpowered shits.

Though 2 can be a little frustrating as the main enemy is small fast comes in groups and has more bit of health and does more damage then you would expect

No its just mediocre but it can still be fun to a point
Most of the weapons are useless, pretty much all the monsters will just run straight at you and the braindead buddies
and if you do play it dont put any points into speed youre fast enough as it is and theres tons of environmental hazards you can hurtle into at warp speed

that game was hard as fuck

my niga

If there's anything that FC3 needed, it's this.

Setting fires to entire villages, driving the enemies out, and then sniping them through the flames was the shit.

fc2 is better than fc3 and 4

Got a magnet link?

for fc2?

you can try this magnet:?xt=urn:btih:7BA900C9447C8F2755ED607490A6C9955ABA208F&dn=Far+Cry+2+%5BRePack%5D+%5BR+G++Shift%5D&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2F9.rarbg.to%3A2710%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2F9.rarbg.com%3A2710%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.tfile.me%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.trackerfix.com%3A80%2Fannounce

but I am honestly not sure if that one is good, all the torrent sites I used to visit are down and the private tracker I visit has it only in russian.

Thanks. I'll seed for a while if it works.

maybe this one is better magnet:?xt=urn:btih:10f7b7e6675627a5b54d8d3d938a1dfaa89e7227&dn=Far+Cry+2+-+Razor1911+iso+windows&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969

Best FPS games are:
Doom 1 + 2
Half-Life + op4
Unreal
Quake 3 Arena/Unreal Tournament
Serious Sam TFE + TSE
Timesplitters 2 + FP

After finishing these, you've played every worthwhile FPS game. Quake is good but nothing special compared to its successors.

Fuck that Doom is too good to not mention

Besides Doom, everything on that list is inferior to Halo, FEAR, Far Cry and AvP99.

Why is unreal tournament in that list? Also why you put it on the same line as quake? Those games are not similar at all.

I feel like you are one of those that didn't play it back then or at all and only name it as a good a game because it is old.

Forgot about that actually.

Nah. Halo is average.

Played both games in the early 00s, liked them for the same reasons. I guess you can try both but you're more likely to stick with one.

Halo does so much more right than Unreal or HL did.

Metroid prime :^)

I don't even like HL that much, but last I remember from halo it had a real bad case of "Enemies are bullet sponges", which killed it for me.

Fuck you Quake is great

Remember Holla Forums, if it is from the 90's it is masterpiece, if it is popular or new it is shit

Are there any FPSs with good jetpacks? Besides Douk3d of course

I know because I feel you exactly. I know it's just going to be indie Ascend but god damnit I want to go fast again.

I want to like this but it bothers me in the same way as all the not-Quakes and not-Unreals. it copy-pastes the core game we already have and doesn't improve it.

doesn't help that Vengance was my favorite Tribes, skirmishing with vehicles is the most fun, flag running and defending on the stand are boring as fuck.

System Shock: Casual Edition
System Shock: Lazy Outsource Edition
Ken Levine's Long Hallway of Bad Writing and Politics

Quake movement

ut movement

Legions Overdrive had a really good idea where you could jetpack down as well for more speed. If it's in this game as well it would be a very nice addition

this shit right here

Is Battlefield worth playing after Battlefield 2?

Yeah, Dragon Rising and Red River and definitely worth a play through.

WANT.

only Bad Company 2, but that's not a true Battlefield game

Only Holla Forums thing I've read is Transmetropolitan and Watchmen.

user Halo 1 came out 15 years ago, if anyone played it as a childhood game, they'd be an adult by now.

Fuck. Battlefield has been the closest thing to SOCOM 2 for ps2 I have played. Looks like console plebs like myself don't get large scale shooters. Why does the current Battlefield suck anyhow? Besides being owned by the vampires at EA of course.

Number 1: That's terror.

Number 2: That's terror.

Single player good FPS: Far cry 1, crysis 1, fear 1, stalker?

multiplayer good fps: UT1,2,4, most of the quakes, legions, thats it really.

Timesplitters
Quake
Doom 1
Strife
Hexen
Blood
System Shock 1 and 2
Turok
Turok 2
Doom 64
Red Orchestra 2
STALKER
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Marathon Trilogy
Riddick

Shit, forgot Giants Citizen Kabuto

It hurts

Its Call of Duty with vehicles, the vehicle physics are awful and have no weight to them, recoil while well done is barely there, everything is automated and requires less skill, regen, regen on fucking vehicles, less squadmates, small maps, awful progression on everything with microtransactions only fucking it up more, generic shitty gamemodes, destruction is useless and doesnt impact the game.
No mod support.

Bad Company 2 was a good console shooter, Battlefield 3 and onwards are shit console shooters.

Whelp. It's time I invested in a pc I guess. Thanks for the reply.

Just downloaded the re-release and holy shit is it so much faster and better than the N64 version.

The weird view-tilting when strafing is throwing me off a little, but I'll get used to it.

this is why COD sucks shit

Disappointed.

0/10, go back to cuckchan with this weak ass bait

One of my all-time faves.

Allegedly, F.E.A.R. is a spiritual successor to Blood. Can't quite confirm that, though.

Someone should just do a spiritual successor to Blood, just like Doom '16 is to the old Doom games. That'd be fantastic.

It's a shame Shadow Warrior gets all the love, and Blood doesn't.

What Xboxahoy said on his Quake documentary is true - this game was supposed to be a different IP, but they couldn't come up with a name so they just went with Quake II.

I still think it's a fantastic game on its own.

I've played them all during release seasons since Quake. HL and Unreal are overrated garbage that got praised back then for two things: storytelling and graphics. Halo is also alot more playable nowadays while Unreal's singleplayer and Half-Life feel clumsy as fuck. I can't even finish HL runs nowadays because the gameplay is just so fucking boring.

Halo wasnt even playable on release m8
Most boring FPS ever

Bad Company is worth getting for the singleplayer alone.

Consider suicide.

Oh man, I remember that.

I remember lot of the reviews back then jerking off about muh immersion and storytelling. I also remember every normalfag back in the day creaming themselves about how cool it was to finally have a shooter that doesn't have all that gay lazer future-shit, instead being a mature game for mature gamers such as themselves.

Unreal was mostly for the graphics.

Halo is better than Unreal by far. Better level design, better enemies, better art, and better gameplay.

I am honestly kinda baffled that people can bitch about Halo being bulletspongy and then proceed to praise HL and Unreal. Especially HL, that game is practically a tube full of static bulletsponge -enemies

Never played unreal, not too much of a fan of HL, but HL is not nearly as bad with it's bullet spongyness as halo.

I mean, sure towards the end of the game you start getting aliens that are pretty annoying, but when you're fighting soldiers and the earlier aliens/zombies, most of them can die with one solid shotgun shot to the chest.

Maybe on normal, which is a tad too easy. Hard just makes even the basic soldiers just spongy as hell, each soldier requiring more than a mag of bullets unless you were point-blanking it directly into their heads. Also, Halo allows you to use certain weapons + grenades & melee to dispatch enemies quicker. People who call first Halo spongy out themselves as never having properly played it.

Stalker + mods = crazy. AMK turns the zone into a warzone. I remember starting out and a helicopter and the military attacked the rookie village.

one is good as long as you stick with medium or custom difficulty. Challenging has aimbots and 1 hit kill enemies in the last quarter of the game.

shit, I forgot about 2142, it's been so long
did EA take down the servers to force people to play their other trash yet?

video for you

Does anyone else remember EA's CS clone, Global Operations?

I might have read the imfdb article

Loved it myself, the mission where you rescue the POW is a massive pain in the ass.

I always liked the conflict series

whoops :P

Are there any good multiplayer shooters, bros? I stopped playing csgo 2 months ago and don't want to touch it ever again. I'm looking for something else

It's certainly sub-par but not as awful as it's often called. In the N64 version the AI of your buddies doesn't work half the time and makes it just about unplayable but the PC version is better in that regard.

It has some neat ideas but isn't worth playing unless you really must play all the shooters that exist.

Oh god.

The memories

It takes six SMG headshots or sixteen bodyshots to kill an hgrunt on the hardest difficulty. The pistol can kill them in four shots, and you have four other guns that can one-hit kill (excluding explosives).

Compare to Halo, where most of your weapons take at least half a mag to kill the basic blue elite.

The ammo economy in Halo isn't even remotely close to HL1.

In Halo:CE (I haven't played any of the new ones), most enemies drop their weapons, and each covenant weapon is useful for several kills (each of which is typically going to get you another weapon drop).

In HL1, most enemies don't drop weapons, and the ones that do typically drop enough ammo for 1-2 kills, with the majority of your ammo coming from worldspawn pickups.

I liked it

as expected of Holla Forums, just posting old deprecated shit FPS from the 90s

tell me which ones you like so I can laugh at your shit taste

Isn't that literally aimbot? How common is it?

I was talking to anons about this in another thread some time ago. I was working on a FEAR mod and my tools somehow broke but I managed to fix them.

I actually got around to working on it again and it may as well be done now. Try it.

mediafire.com/download/d5705ohv2xxf3d4/Infinite_Fear_r1.zip

It's pretty common in console FPS because aiming with the controller is a pain. Call of Duty uses it, for example. That's how you quickscope. You scope in just enough for the aim assist to kick in and snap you to your target.

It's passable. Pretty good game with a few mods installed.

What's your mod do?

Oh, I should have mentioned something about that. I'm in a rush right now.

From the included text file:
pastebin.com/9xYUx4nA

most of the games in the thread are 2000-2010 faggot

I'd have enjoyed Stalker way more if it was an actual open world. I ditched it soon after the military base I think

ignore [not a good FPS after 2010]

Old post, but you are wrong.
The story makes perfect sense and this just shows that you don't understand it.

Alright, I'm off. See you guys in a week or so. I might make a FEAR thread then.

I dare you to beat as much of my mod as you can using only melee. It's impossible in some places but it's a ton of fun when you can manage it.

Klingon Honor Guard
That game is fucking tits on hardest difficulty.
You get dodging enemies along with enemies that can turn invisible.

I miss SoF multiplayer, used to dominate with knife headshots when I was younger, that shit was so satisfying.

Oh gezz Delta Force.. I've played that when I was 10 or about that. I barelly remeber anything, but the cover and scratched as fuck CD that took 10 tries to install this game.

If you run updater.exe or whatever, it can still connect to the servers and download a patch to this day.

Well anyway. As for FPS games… i think I don't have any game that wasn't posted already. But I can say, that 2 days ago I've beaten Serious Sam TFE on Serious difficulty for the first time. I've played all SS games 2-5 times at least but always on Hard or Normal.

It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but that's mostly because the secrets have powerful weapons and lotsa health & armour. I'd have to try beat the game on serious without any secret… but first I need to try second encounter.

Novalogic a good.
hopefully their new one comes out… some year…

Yeah, aren't you all excited for SS4 ? It's supposed to come out this year. Wathch this interview with Croteam, they talk about SS4 (turn on english subtitiles)

The best part

>In Serious Sam 4 we'll try to pump up all the best characteristics of the previous games to the extreme. Serious Sam is famous for the number of enemies on the screen at the same time, as well as for its huge, open levels, so in Serious Sam 4 we really want to go over the top, and get back the title of FPS with the biggest number of enemies and the largest maps.

>Visually, it will be the most beautiful Serious Sam until now. We'll get away from the dark and monotonous aesthetics of Serious Sam 3. it will look more realistic, but also in line with what people expect from Croteam, pretty colors, high quality, and that's it. It will be easy on the eyes.

Considering how bloody beautiful Talos Principle was even at quite low settings, it's going to look fucking gorgeous.

EF1 had some cool weapons. It was the scavenger rifle, I think? Standard rapid fire gun with a grenade launcher but it shot pretty red bullits. The phasers were fun, too.

I bought the pack for it on steam because it was on discount and I wanted to sneak around and pick off people. Had some fun, fucked around, got kinda annoyed by how hand holdey it was.

Then I played 2 and it easily became one of my favorite games.

Yeah, but the writer is a socialist.

Can't forget this classic can we?

(checked)
I still play the first two

a whole 2000 people haven't forgotten it 6 months after launch.

Same here my brothers in arms.
youtu.be/c-vzwQZoypE

kek, sorry but no, as confusing and tedious as unreal's level designs could be they on the whole and all things considered I still enjoyed them, halo on the other hand, first 3 levels are good or at least okay, rest are trash. Open levels just don't work in a game where the movement feels as though you are wading through mud and the vehicles handle poorly and are pretty uninspired as well.
better enemies
Okay so you have the grunts who die if you sneeze on them and fuck off if you kill their commander, they basically pose no threat to you You have the guys with the sheilds who will sometimes charge up plasma blasts, you have the elites, and then you have those big dudes with the plasma cannons.
Half of these enemies are just beaten by plasma blasting them then shooting them in the head, and only elites and giants or whatever the fuck they are called are the least bit threatening. As for the flood well, who gives a shit about them? All they do is rush you, any game can throw in zombies that just mindlessly rush the player and a ton of games already have
Muh reeelism, halo's art sucks to be quite honest, you can hardly even call its art style a style, its not stylized its just muh reelism bullshit
because the easy, slow, and tiresome gunplay was incredible, yeah just dick around with all the shitty weapons in the game until you find out that pistol and plasma pistol are by far the best weapons for covanent encoungers due to how common ammunition for them is and the fact that you can take down shields in one shot with plasma charge, and one shot enemies who aren't sheilded with magnum headshots. Most of the weapons in halo were shitty and not fun to use, even though pistol and plasma pistol were a very powerful combo I found them unsatisfying to use due to wimpy sounds, uninspired designs, and/or wimpy animations that didn't reflect how powerful they were. THe two gun limit didn't help the gunplay either. Oh and let's not forget those grenades you chuck at the sheilded enemies which the game is all to happy to keep you supplied with. Gameplay wise the only way in which halo can be said to be better than Unreal is with regards to its AI but oh wait.

I just got shot
hold on
better find cover
wat's that
enemies aren't pursuing me
they are trying to maintain their formations
instead of just taking advantage of the fact that my sheilds are down and all rushing in to finish me off?
Guess the AI in halo isn't that good, or perhaps it would be a fairer to say that it just dosen't mesh well with the health system but then I don't think any AI would mesh well with that system. Its a shitty one that deprives the player of any semblance of challenge. Just pop out of cover with grenades plasma blasts and headshots and you are damn near invincible even on legendary(trust me I've beaten it on that)

This one russian dude started the trend of co-op maps in CS:GO. Vid related is his newest map.

There's quite a few unique maps on the workshop but unless you have a bunch of friends to make a private lobby with good fucking luck playing any.

Halo had the absolute worst example of copy/paste level design I have ever seen in my entire life. Either that game was rushed to shit or bungie are a bunch of lazy talentless hacks, probably both. The only thing halo got right was having a great marketing team.