ITT: Underused settings in video games

ITT: Underused settings in video games

I have a fondness for the older, 2E, stuff, like Ravenloft, Planescape and most notably so Dark Sun.

Now, Dark Sun has 2 games made back in the '90s, by SSI, and they're fairly decent games, I'd even say amazing games for that time, but could be a bit of nostalgia's playing into that, so I'll just settle for saying they're decent. They really pulled me into the game-world, made me want to just explore and find everything about it, everything that I could. And while I know it's unrealistic of me to hope for another Dark Sun 2E video game, I can still dream at least.

Other urls found in this thread:

nichegamer.com/2016/02/16/niche-gamer-plays-dos-classics-ravenloft-strahds-possession/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

go back to /tg/

Old D&D had some pretty baller settings, I've never been a fan of the Points of Light or 5e settings, they just feel like watered down all-purpose frankensteins of earlier worlds.

I would kill for more vidya set in Eberron, though; I loved the shit out of DDO. Even for all its stupid special snowflake shit it still has tons of potential and charm.

You should consider killing yourself.

And I have no idea what you're talking about.

I just like the potential of Planescape. I mean, you can literally go anywhere you like in the Planes, though I admit some fondness for the Astral Plane and Limbo in general.

Dark Sun and Ravenloft tie more into my love for darker-themed settings.

You cant run from your past

You do realize that more than 1 person can post with the Shodan flag, right? It's not automatically disabled for everyone else on the board.

Not to mention, I got no interest in Kojima's stuff at all, nor have I ever played any of the MGS games to begin with.

So this is just a case of mistaken identity.

Yea it just so happens two shodan posters pop up at the same time, both times being completely unrelated

Desert and Desert cities have always been a soft spot of mine.

I liked Uncharted 3 just because of how well it did the whole desert scenario with the ruins and the wandering.

Do you want me to see posting in that thread to prove it? Or are you going to accuse me of using a proxy or something?

I'm just trying to have a video game thread here and you're not really contributing anything, you're shitting up the thread for no reason whatsoever, other than to indulge your autism.

Oh and by the by, the flag has been there for me since several months back, I just don't post that all often on Holla Forums, and you two remind me why that is so.

You played the Prince of Persia games, right? I wasn't a fan of the 2008 game at first, but it grew on me, especially the ending (without the DLC bullshit).

I did play some, but it never grew on me for some reason.

All D&Dshit is too prevalent because its quotient is non-zero.

A lot of people didn't like the gameplay mechanic with Elika which basically meant you could never really die, you'd always get your ass saved by her magically appearing right there.

Just avin a laff m8, ill stop now.

I really liked that medieval gothic + sci-fi + dark magic setting that Quake had. Many games have one of those themes, but rarely do you see one with all three.

That was such a early 2000s thing, we should be happy it had its period of fame

Yeah, D&D was best on the PC in the late 80s, early 90s. As much as people like to beat off over BG (And it was fine before it was mauled by Beamdog), the best D&D games were in the DOS and C64 ages. Both Ravenlofts, Dungeon Hack, Eye of the Beholder 1-2, Darksun 1-2, Pools of Radiance, Azure bonds, etc etc etc.

We'll never get that era back. Best now to dream:

nichegamer.com/2016/02/16/niche-gamer-plays-dos-classics-ravenloft-strahds-possession/

nevermind /tg/. get back to reddit

yo

HACKER
A
C
K
E
R

Embarrassing fam

Would you a Shodan or a GLaDOS?

vvvv autism zone vvvv

^^^^ autism zone ^^^^

both

I like the opposite. Water cities with a bunch of canals, rivers, fountains, and waterfalls.

Spinon from Solatorobo is one example.

You're only allowed to choose once.

The GLaDOS clang would probably get pretty nasty. You are fucking a giant mecha, after all; if your dick is the only thing to get splattered by her during intercourse, you could consider yourself lucky.

With that about being a digital entity and all that jack, you couldn't really a SHODAN, but I guess you could fap to her as well.

*one

Had a bit of a look at your game op.

Sun and sand is an underutilized setting for a game. The idea of clan(s) is a good one. Especially if the desert is a harsh place to be until the clans are united.

I would have honestly said the "planescape setting" but we're about to get a new planescape this year.

I would enjoy a tribal/deep jungle/Aztec setting. Running through the jungle from crazed warriors and their head priest tickles my fancy.

Whist the "modern warfare" setting is just the worst, a world in a current apocalypse because of said 21st century warfare would be interesting.

I wish there were steampunk games that were more subtle than "HAY DOODS LETS PUT SUM GEERS AND STEEM ON EVERYTHING!"

like thief

Frozen wasteland fighting giant insect monsters in mechs

FOV

is 3 even worth playing?

There is no such thing as lost planet 3

That's not LP3 tho.

what's that a screenshot of?

Lost planet 1 multiplayer map IIRC

It's not a screenshot either, it's concept.

It's also referencing the first game. Its shit is all wrong tho, that map area is enclosed, not open like that.

Damn… how has the first game aged? Is it still worth a play?

Lost planet 1 and 2 are still good fun, too new to have aged badly

I got both LP1 and 2 in a sale months ago.

Get that. They're great. You need to join a steam group for multiplayer tho.

Don't buy 3. Pirate it if you're curious, but don't buy 3, it's shit.

I heard this is where SHODANposters came?

Check 'em

I loved Ravenloft

I bought every monster manual, every shitty hamfisted paperback novel.
I loved the you don't win aspect of Ravenloft. I wish there were more vidya games in the setting, as it would force you to focus on goals other than just kill the bad guy because that won't happen.

Torment - Tides of Numenera isn't set in Planescape at all. They're just saying it's a spiritual sequel, in the sense the choices and such should feature a lot more than they do in the usual RPGs.

Hell

Very few games used it and they were pretty tame, i want lvels with floors made out of people getting raped not some orange lava kiddie shit

If I had an infinite budget, I'd make a Planescape Soulslike or Elder-Scrolls clone that covered the entire setting, and get the writing team for the setting itself in.

I'd be the best game ever made.

Alternate history world war II at sea with giant ships, YUGE guns, swarm of aircraft, and lazers

Fading Suns

It's got a Byzantine "fall of an empire" setting, mystical powers, cyberpunk, space-aristocrats dueling with space-rapiers, crusades against hordes of world-eating aliens, happy merchants and the titular fading suns.

It's like 40k but not nearly as over-the-top, think Dune. Something like Deus Ex/VtMB could work very easily in that universe.

Basically any historical setting that isn't done to death
And is it really too much to ask for a nuetral potrayal of the values and standards of the time?

The Race War

As in, not putting in their opinions on how "oppressive" or "horrible" the setting is through their chosen NPC mouthpieces?

I'd say Warhammer 40K is pretty much that, but I'd struggle to come up with more examples.

Oh man that reminds me. I should really read up about this

I think E.Y.E Nailed all three, with the Culter Dei's gothic inspired armor, cyberpunk sci-fi aesthetic, and cybermancy

Why even live?

Never 4get.

I highly doubt she'd move so much that you'd get injured.

That only happened in the film mate, not in real life.