Battle Royale (2000) review

This movie was utter garbage. Teen melodrama UP THE ASS, it's all about muh immature backstory and muh highschool crush, there's no meaningful philosophy or character here. The action scenes are horribly directed, everyone takes at least 7 bullets before dying, people run around swiftly with 3 bullet holes on their back, and there are no bullet holes in this movie, only untorn clothes painted red. Everyone needs a dialogue before killing someone. Every conflict feels so forced. The editing can be cancer at times, there are occasional black screens with chinese writings on them. The score is horrible, the classical music from Bach, Wagner, or Vivaldi don't fit at all and just makes everything look even sillier. At this point, I'm convinced that even hunger games is better.

Nice premise, utterly shitty execution. 3.5/10

What did you think about Confessions (2010) and All About Lily Chou-Chou (2001)?

Japs can only make cuckime what did you expect

Agree.
Man, I hated that so much.

And you forgot the teacher's character, who was totally irrelevant in the book, a really fucked up psycho perv in the manga, but in the movie he is some old guy who is in love with the main girl. The scene where he comes out from the middle of nowhere with an umbrella is one of the worst.

The book is better, but the manga is the best, and I'm writing this as a person who hates anime.

I don't bother.

I'll read the manga sometime. I hate the teenagers more than the teacher though.

bad movie, but it did give us one of the greatest games of all time

It’s literally made for teenagers. You should have watched it as a teenager instead of as a 30 year old manchild.

I'm 22
Napoleon Dynamite has no melodrama and is still suitable for all ages.

Good review

Everyone I talked to said they loved it. Of course none of these people even heard of it until autists were complaining how hunger games were a rip off it. They were right though, hunger games is just as shitty as battle royal.

I haven't read The Hunger Games, but the book Battle Royale is better than the movie Hunger Games

modern japanese films have the most cancer editing which really ruins all enjoyment of them. Only a few have real soul it's a shame. Also the hyper violence that is so prevalent in all of them feels repetitive at this point.
Last good japanese film I saw was about a group of kids who have to survive after their mom leaves them alone.
Also try to watch the sequel of battle royale since its absolute shit

It is a good movie, you just don't understand it

here's you

I only watched it for Takashi. It was okay.

I'm mostly baffled by the high praise it got. Are people out of their mind? This movie has nothing worth praising, maybe except the "turning children against each other" premise.

Good question. I wanna know the answer too

Battle Royale is one of the best movies of this century. All of you guys need to get acquainted with kino before making an opinion on this masterpiece

The average Japanese movie isn't hyper-violent. Those are just the ones that get buzz outside of Japan and cinephile circles. People in the know have in recent years complained that Japanese cinema has become too safe.

Japan has a lot of problems with making believeable real-world stories. There are exceptions, like Nobody Knows.

They are great with dream-like fantasy, but they suffer to make a believeable fantasy world like say, Harry Potter. But again, exceptions like perhaps Born in Abyss.

I've seen a lot of Japanese live action and anime and I've never thought they have any problems with believable real world or fantasy stories. There isn't anything really exceptional about Koreeda's films.

Its a rich detailed world which is internally consistent, so you can believe it as an alternative reality. Most japanese worlds are superficial and barely make internal sense.

Yeah, I really don't know what you're talking about here.

Well, compare Little Witch Academia to Harry Potter. Do witches even make any fucking sense in that world? Why are politicians moving past magic when magic is ridiculously over power in that world, specially when combined with tech like that evil witch did? Why there is only one magic store when there are witches from all over the world? Why there seems to be very little story behind the whole thing, just going back up to the past generation? etc…

In Harry Potter you have different communities made by different traditions, lots of things that are unrelated to the main plot and exist because the world is bigger than the main protagonists and history with similar depth and even 'distortion' in its records as our own.

I think you guys are exaggerating. I mean haven't watched it in a while but from what I remember, it's really not that bad just John Woo levels of melodramatic. Silly at times, sure but charming. That said, I still haven't read either the book or manga and maybe if I did, then gave the film another watch, it might not be as good as I initially thought.

There are half-baked fantasy settings on both sides of the ocean.

Japs for the most part seem to be more concerned with seeing cool shit in the moment. Consistant world building seems to be a uniquely white form of autism.

Anime was routinely doing non-episodic, story-driven shows decades before that became popular in the US, and I again don't understand where these claims about worldbuilding are coming from.

I liked it. It was really over the top and cheesy, but I enjoyed that aspect of it because it feels closer to how a retarded teenager would react in such a situation, although obviously the whole situation is absurd. The lack of good blood or gore is probably fair given the controversy surrounding the movie, but I agree it would be better if they'd done more.
I mean, the whole film is really silly, clunky, and overdone, but as said, it's all a part of the charm.

World building /= long story arcs
World building is constructing a world with consistant rules and boundaries and not breaking them on a whim because it would be cool if a character did a thing.

That was in response to the claim that the Japanese are only interested in "seeing cool shit in the moment."

Like when on a whim a character can do a new thing, even though it breaks every established rule, and then they never do it again even when it would be really helpful, and it's never adressed.

Again, they were doing non-episodic, story-driven shows decades before that became fashionable in the US. That's the opposite of only caring about cool shit in the moment.

Just because a story establishes some rule doesn't mean it can't be broken later, and you seem like you're talking about some very specific case that you're using to generalize all anime (including the many, many shows that don't feature anything like special abilities).

Haven't read the book or the manga but the movie did nothing for me. I can't get invested in anything about it because it really gives me no reason to. The characters almost entirely consist of either redshirts who exist only to be killed and the few who have some characterization are either ciphers or one note cliches. The Royale itself is almost nonsensical when the only reason given for its existence is evil government is evil for vague unexplained reasons. The acting is uninspiring for the large part and the cinematography never rises above adequate. I don't care that these children die, why they die, or how it came to be because the movie never gives me any incentive to.

JAPAN is superficial and barely makes internal sense, mind you.

I liked it a lot, but I would have liked it more if it only had like 1/3 of the kids so that all of them could be properly developed. The best scenes are the ones with the characters who had the most screentime just because it was easiest to relate to them, but there are exceptions like the lighthouse scene which does a great job of quickly characterizing everyone in it without relying on previous exposure to them.

I liked it as a teenager since it was a good action horror slasher hybrid. The characters weren't developed well, but they acted more realistic and component than your standard horror film character. They used guns, wore armor, etc. The demise of student aren't owed to their stupidity, but because they didn't act level-headed as the protagonists. The deceased students were blinded by strong anger, fear, lust, or faith towards others. It had a good message imo.

It's also the first movie to have good videogame adaptations for once.

fuckyou

Well, I haven't read the books, but saw all the movies, so
Except there is no limit to magic, there is no backlash unless you are a bad guy and the ordinary people vs. the magic world is really underdeveloped.

Nigger, if I sit down to watch a movie about kids who have to slaugther each other, these are not the things I wanna see

I recommend the manga over the book. More detailed, every character gets a backstory, awesome events and twits, etc.

Same goes to these

That is the biggest problem. In the books, I really liked Shinji the basketballer guy and the silent martial artist guy. Here tehy are really uninteresting, 2 dimensional, etc.