Game Design Course 3 - because I was sick last week

Hello! Time again for GDC!
Today's theme - player and game worlds!
Here is the dropbox with materials from last lessons: dropbox.com/sh/giqylwj5qgtal62/AACqj5xBOBsptp2OfTPDEcMqa?dl=0
For newcommers: I am studying IT already (networking) and I took this course for extra credits. Education is free here Finland. No SJW bullshit here!

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/prog/res/3034.html
docdro.id/K1VENuF
learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Oh, this is gonna be a comfy thread.

Starting off with a guest speaker, business related.
"Patients play games for rehab to see if they increase their cognative processes"

time to get comfy with the anons
love this thread

This seems interesting.

And making this into a thread lets me learn better, win win.

This is a pretty good image

Have you actually studied what really makes certain games work?
Atmosphere, unique mechanics, story that's intertwined within the gameplay, good soundtrack etc.?

12 player typolodies. Cant read it from the back of the class(the table one)

The teacher said: without good gameplay the game will fail :^)

Goddamn fin-user, if education is free there, you gotta convince your workshop to stream or video-record all of this, its pretty damn good.

Unlike say GDC cancer in San Francisco in burgerclapland.

Are we all killers?

YOU'RE ALL FUCKING RETARDED, EVEN IRONICALLY
Spend your time better, let's learn computer science instead!
This is the /prog/ sticky, full of resources and packs a linear progression, the first book you'll go through is so that you master Pre-Calculus it's a basic math book written by a genius mathematician, so it's an amazing read either way.
Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang
docdro.id/K1VENuF

You can read up about the rest on the /prog/ thread I listed, good luck goyim!
Also, as a side course, start experimenting with programming languages, I reccomend you all do
learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
Alongside the exercises.

Read the OP, fag

I've read it already, this is why I decided to make my post.

Also
kek

I will learn how to become a shadow shill like this

Are we into hard fun, easy fun, serious fun or people fun?

IT rngineering to be precice. Doing web dev too

Fotgot pic
Also next slide

there's only one remotely good game there though

"Ganrae classification model is outdated" kek

Game dynamics model

From the last slides, getting really triggered with typos and misspellings.

But so far, its getting good.

The biggest thing I hate about TLOS: e3 lied, there was no human ai besides SHOOT TO KILL
This shit shill stuff is real…

Missed the "killer" slide

Which type of player are you?

They are profiling us all the time. There is no escape

Fug

Gud.

Gud.

Ads?! oh shit, this is like LoL social engineering.

The bald dude with goatee that watches extra credits has aband aid on the inside of elbow on his arm, where the vein is. Track marks or blood donation to refugees

"Most fall in between the categories"
"Primary and secondary type profiles"
Wew lads

And here I thought you guys were letting the swedes take the refugees now.

What does that even mean?

Since it is slow today I will post a few lols from last threads

Means: our profiling is bs. We only did it to get funding " we got funding for this program today at 10am"
And the influx of rapefugees is staggered, yes.
EXERCISE TIME! Using Magic the Gathering cards!

So what category do fightan and racing games go in?

Fuccboi

Cities skylines and Wipeout combined!
Bitxh on my team does not play games. They dont play games. Kill me now.

Trchnitian/mercenary

Hey, that could be a good idea. Having a turf you keep going while doing high-speed racing in that turf to keep competitors from dethroning you, paying for any eventual damage of property from the race money you gain from the rival, whilst building on the place and race track to lure bigger and badder folk to race your shit.

Or controlling police, fire department and hospital on emergency calls. All while having a realistic simulation of a city. Traffic jams and all.
You could switch between the active vehicles on the fly or just watch and direct the ai from the control room.

it is free education user

Curry nigger: it is the same as Mobile Strike or otger strategy game.
Kay kay kay

Hey, are you the same guy that got mad and called Holla Forums cancer after he was told this stuff would've been better suited being posted on /agdg/?

Because it was hilarious watching that guy freak out like a spaz.

Here is my game idea

No not me.

This could be called "Sweden: Riot Simulator" where you play as an emergency worker driving to the ghettos and saving the poor people.

Will it have drifting and eurobeat?

When crime levels up to: refugee crisis.

Why not? Infinite complexity is a thing.

Brake over. 2 more hours of class

Updated model

And now in 3D!
First part

Nobody checked 'em

I was here for the first thread for a bit
has it got any more cultish since then?

Big 5 and OCEAN model

No. Just some nice science. The deopbox has the slides and some materials (not up to date) if you want to read theough that

New series!

Jesus. What a blast from the past. What about peliplaneetta.net?

Second topic for the day - Game Worlds!

It was bound to happen sooner or later. Kek

That was used as an exam0le of somethibg to do with reviewers

peliplaneetta did reviews. When I was around 12 I used to always use their review archive sorted from lowest to highest score to look for games to play.

Their demos/downloads section was the best. I downloaded Wolfenstein ET from there and it was so fucking good.

i guess i'm mercenary/commander

He's not wrong. The tonal makeup of the world is important if you're making a game with a meaningful story.

I miss that old games shop. Still have a card from there. The only place where I found Silent Hill Collection for the ps2

New slide

so it's something like envirobear?
i loved that shit, if only the graphics weren't shit and there was more content

I know but fun is allowed here. Let us pretend it will mention Gone Homo when we get to that slide

More like german simulators, burnout, sim city/ccitues skylines and gta ish

Fair enough. I glanced through the first one of these threads when it first came up, but haven't been around lately. How has it been so far?

Oh, how I've missed that.

Emotions!

Pretty chill. For Holla Forumsirgins it's mostly games 101 with good points

He is talking about That Dragon Camcer… Calls it interesting: the game is about how the family copes. It is debatable how they achieved their goal. It is a good game for emotional stuff but debatable of how game it is. An interesting prevursor of what emotional games can be

Ethics WITHIN a game. Nothing to do with real world ethics.

And it is over.
I can habg and discuss but otherwise it's over till thursday

Yeah, I'm not seeing anything mind-blowing, but these slides seem pretty on-point so far. It's actually interesting to me that this knowledge is considered non-obvious enough that there's a class for it which people, who are presumably already gamers, want/need to attend. But then, we have conversations about this kind of thing on Holla Forums pretty regularly, which I guess isn't the norm elsewhere at this point.

What about not actually telling the player? My mind goes back to Super Metroid, where you arent told anything, but the aspects of the "good" or "bad" things help a player realize what's good or bad in the world

Most people there dont really even play videogames

Then why are they there? They're not all hipsters, are they?

(OP here)
They are just stupid

Are they well-meaning, at least?

user, i'll be teaching some of this material in the fall (in a real coding class, just doing game examples)

this will be used, i promise

they see other people their age retweeting shit from Kotaku or whatever, so they figure that's what they should do.

We did this with Rolling Stone magazine and acid washed jeans when i was your age, so i mean can i really talk shit

Swap around the types, so that it reads: explorers, socializers, ???, killers

This shit isn't all that relevant to game design in practice, but at least they're trying.

I still wouldn't take the course, especially not here in burgerland.

excuse me user but why don't i see a topic on diversity in there?