Splatterhouse

I know this franchise isn't Namco's best, but I wish Namco had treated it with a little more respect. It's one of their more unique series, and it always felt like they were setting up the 2010 game up for failure.

Anyone else a fan of Splatterhouse? Favorite game in the series? Favorite boss?

Its a fun game. Really knew how to bring the creepy environments and gore.

The gore is almost hypnotizing.

Splatterhouse 2010 was a mistake.
Instead of over-the-top cuhrayzee with gratuitous gore and stupid humour they should have make some legit dark and disturbing game with slower paced combat, emphasizing grapples, counters and shit. No, without fucking stamina, go away soulsfags

This user has a right idea.
Splatterhouse 3 for genesis is far scarier than any "horror" game released recently.

Shit's was great

I was able to do 1cc runs of Splatterhouse pretty well. Baseball slides are always an awesome way to finish off a boss.

I actually really liked the 2010 remake, aside from the end boss level. It was one of those retard levels where you have to protect something while also fighting the boss. why even do that?

My favorite of the old trilogy is part 2. favorite boss is double chainsaws bag head dude, but i also have like the hanging fetuses

SH1 was ahead of its time. Fuck your 'save the girl' plot, have horror for the sake of horror and fuck any sort of sense (ever since when did horror have to make sense?). It's like distilled Fulci in videogame form.

2 and 3 would inevitably dabble into plot and trying to fit the square peg in the round hole as games with more narrative were beginning to go mainstream, but what SH1 did with mostly pantomime stuff and then the scarce voice clips that did say something is fucking remarkable. And that ending, fuck, it just kicks you in the nuts and leaves you with a gaping jaw like good horror movies do.

Favorite boss though, tough one. Say whatever you want about Splatterhouse but you can't say it doesn't have some god damn distinct creatures popping up at the end of the level. I guess for a top three in no particular order I'd put Evil Cross, the Giant Boreworm and Hell Chaos as my favorites.

I do feel the best music comes from SH3 though. It's too damn distinct, you can hear the tunes and say "this is Splatterhouse".

Vid related. GOAT.

This is one of the games I could never play as a little kid. Not only I couldn't find the game here, it scared to death.

I'm gonna sound like a faggot for saying this, but as far as minimalist storytelling goes, Splatterhouse 1 was a masterpiece.

When you really mentally put yourself into the context of the Mutant Jennifer bossfight, it's a loved one you're beating down barehanded. And then Rick cradling Jennifer's fading body, as she enters her death throes in human form. Fuck man. Shit hurts.

The usage of Jennifer's theme in the ending credits was masterful.

ps this guy's titles for the soundtrack is cringe.

Sage for triple post.

There was a 2010 Splatterhouse game?

It could have been a lot better, but it was as good a love letter for the fans as any.

Apparently there are shitloads of leftover levels and mechanics that simply had to be cut due to the dev team constantly having to fight with the higher ups.

Double Chainsaw dude is "Biggy Man". he was the boss guarding the chapel and the best way to try and fight him was carefully "juggling shotguns" over to him and pelting him with the required 10 hits he needed to go down.

Oh, and you're thinking of Splatterhouse 1, which an Arcade Perfect version is extremely hard to find, but is included on the 2010 splatterhouse.

Official reviews panned it, and it shows that it's fairly incomplete in several aspects, namely the long load times. However, it is very enjoyable and has SO many throwbacks to the classics:

>none of them do
>it leads to a metal as fuck mirror match boss fight

Seriously, the game is worth it for the banter between Rick and the Mask alone.

This should help set the tone.

Also, there were about 2-3 cut levels where you would find out how the Mask got into that coffin.

>turns out that was Cortes
>Terror mask tricked him into slaughtering the Aztec en mass before tormenting him with eldrich visions before making him lay in his tomb and remain there

Splatterhouse 2010 would have been a 10/10 for me if only it either 1. cut down on the Splatter Kills being mandatory 2. gave them a lot more variety 3. made them 1 second long instead of 10.

No, I agree 100%. It also leads to fun stuff like players react to that scene so strongly there is apparently not a single round up / review that doesn't say Rick is pissed like all fuck when you continue after killing Jennifer.

But he's wearing a fucking mask and he has no speech clips. It's a pretty damn reliable assumption but for all we know he might be more lethargic and just going ahead because he only has his life left. What matters is that it gets a pretty fucking strong response from the players.

Hell, reading about it on japanese sites it was almost unanimous they regarded the first game as an "action gamer trauma", it was that effective.

I fucking love it. I've finished the first and second in one sitting blind and god it was pure fun. Real underrated.