What are some good games on Steam that feel like Doom, besides Doom itself?

What are some good games on Steam that feel like Doom, besides Doom itself?

Serious Sam as a series feels a lot like Doom to me personally, even if it is a bit slower the feeling is certainly there.

People told me Rise of the Triad is very Doomy, can anyone back that up?

Other urls found in this thread:

pkzone.org/painkiller-supernatural-2-0/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What the fuck? I thought I posted the Serious Sam box art, not Rise of the Triad's

sorry guys

You're probably better off just downloading a bunch of wads

could get star wars dark forces going or something

Nox here, creator of gamebants.com. I recommend the halo series (1 and 2 are on PC i think) along with Duke Nukem via emulator (I think the games are on N64?). Also, check out Serious Sam.

Serious Sam games are pretty boring, and their level design is very repetitive. If you want more Doom, play the main games, also Doom64. 64 is more like a middle-ground between Quake and Doom. Quake is a slower, more deliberate, much more hostile game than Doom ever was. Everything feels heavier and more gruesome compared to Doom.

Duke3D is a good game, has its own feel, but you will find some similarities to Doom. Rise of the Triad 2013 was just awful, avoid it. Shadow Warrior 2013 was also terrible, avoid that. Hard Reset is pretty bad too.

Painkiller has its own feel, but it's a good game.

In the end, play Doom, plus some of the better wads, play doom 64, play quake, plus the latest maps, and play painkiller. Best games of these types.

I honestly don't get what's wrong with me and Serious Sam. I keep hearing how they're near the best of the genre and whatnot but when I play them I just feel like Sam should be moving faster, weapons should be doing more damage or be meatier, a map should be just slightly larger for this fight to be fun, etc.
It's just a collection of minor grievances(besides the movement speed and how predictable enemy spawns are) that builds up to just not enjoying the game

quake

yes, sam is pathetically slow, the weapons aren't fun, and most of the enemies practically function the same. I never got when people said old games were mazelike, they aren't. The best shooters had really clever dungeon-like level designs that deliberately tested the players in creative environments. Sam's solution seemed to be replace all level design with giant open areas and spawn triggers.

Everything about the game is unsatisfying. The slow movement speed, the boring S+M1 enemy encounters, the homing enemy behavior, the predictable spawn traps, its just shit. I don't know why people like it.

Quake to me, at times feels like a mix of Zelda like dungeon design, minus the logic puzzles.

not like doom, different, but better

I'd say check out Wrack, it's a bit more Quake than Doom but has about the same speed basically.

I'm a retard that uses steam a lot but don't use steam if you want a doom game. Get dosbox and look through the thousands of doom fps out there.

don't use dosbox, use a modern sourceport. chocolate doom if you want extreme faithfulness. dosbox gets such shitty performance.

I just feel like I'm missing something. Same deal with Stalker and the Ys games. I don't know if I'm playing them wrong or they're just not for me or what.

Yeah I remember hearing about Wrack, that was the doom-like with pseudo Bullet Hell bosses at the end of each level with that neon large machete melee weapon, right? I'll check that out.

it was literally the next step of doom evolution. for all intents and purposes quake was doom with 3d levels

mission packs are worth the playthrough too

Yeah, that's the one. It has combos and stuff so it's got a lot on the side not exactly Doom-like but the base of it is pretty similar.

It's for all intensive purposes.

I like the stalker and ys games. ys has very fun combat and super challenging bosses that are a ton of fun to beat. stalker has some flaws, but is worth checking out for how well realized the zone is. Although it's a bit slow for me. Sam is just so shallow.

doom is a lot faster, and quake places much more importance on the 3D environment design that it completely changes the type of shooter it is. Quake has more trap oriented level design, more elaborate chambers and arenas for combat, and much less monster hordes, each encounter in quake is a big deal because of the damage a single enemy can score on you, and the game is built around it. It doesn't play, look, feel, or sound like Doom. They're very different games.

I know Shadow Warrior has already been brought up, so I'm gonna mention the last of the the trinity from 3D Realms: Blood

Blood, like Shadow Warrior, uses an enhanced version of the Build Engine but where Duke 3D focused on American hero pop culture and Shadow Warrior focused on satirizing kung fu movies, Blood was more of a parody on the horror genre.

It's a good game, and you can get the mega pack "One Unit Whole Blood" that has both expansions and the original game for about 5 bucks from gog and steam.

blood is also good. some of the key quantities in the levels gets a bit retarded however.

AvP Classic 2000
Devil Daggers
You could say E.Y.E is pretty DOOM-ish. It takes place on Mars but it's really slow in comparison and it focuses on RPG as much as it does killing aliens and soldiers.
Left 4 Dead
Classic Shadow Warrior
Star Wars Dark Forces

Ziggurat

Also Strife

Loreleililieli!

indeed

It's like people just keep forgetting that this top notch single player game exists, it's fast with open level design and a killer soundtrack, also it's arsenal is completely unique.

The AI is unique, it's more erratic in it's movement, like if you were playing against a human opponent, and it's also pretty relentless which just adds to the challenge.

Rost is shit

It's heresy, for sure. Unreal's slow pace did NOT translate well into an arena shooter. UT99 is one of the worst arena shooters I've ever played in my life, in fact. But the slow pace, combined with the really atmospheric levels really made Unreal a great game to play. Gives me a really similar vibe to Metroid Prime, being marooned on a vibrant alien planet, only a proper FPS instead of an Action/Adventure game, with all of the nuances that entails.
Only downside is that you have to play it at 640x480 if you don't want to have to squint to read the textdumps it gives you, but it's still a super cozy game overall. Would highly recommend.

What the fuck am I reading?

Serious Sam is more like Quake than Doom
There are practically infinite doom wads available so there is that.

Blood is absolutely nothing like Doom

I think the most surprising shit is Lorelei waifufaggotry though.

If you like games similar to Unreal, I'd suggest you try out the Marathon trilogy. You can get it for free with the Aleph One sourceport.

I always felt like I was playing a gunslinging Max Payne on crack when I was playing Blood
Shit's good

Regardless try Blood or Duke 3D. Dark Forces, as suggested, is pretty good too though expect fucking mazes as levels.

I found Unreal pretty boring. No real music, levels are really just one path and you fight only a few enemies at a time. It's like I'm stuck on a perpetual tutorial.

Painkiller is the real doom 4

ok I trust you smiley flag man

Marathon

Painkiller

All three of these answers are good. Marathon is the oldest and ugliest of these games, still pretty good.

Due to the unique mix of technological limitations and game design decisions, virtually no shooter plays like Doom outside of the first gen or "2.5D" era of shooters.

Hexen and Heretic are the closest games I can think of, besides ROTT which was already mentioned in the OP.

Heretic is literally fantasy themed Doom, but you get the bonus of a cool inventory full of artefacts that you can use to shit on losers. Some of these are clones of Doom powerups (torch = light amp) but many are entirely new, most notably the Tome of Power which is like a super berserk pack that makes all of your weapons perform new, much better functions temporarily.

Hexen is the sequel to Heretic and is more about finding keys solving puzzles. Be sure to use the automap in this game. I like it though, it has a slightly more "RPG" feel because it's nonlinear and your inventory is persistent through the entire game, and there's classes that have different speeds, health and armor totals, and weapons.

If you really want games that play very similarly to Doom, you should look at a listings site, like GameFAQs or something, and look by year for pre-1996 and post-1993.

Duke3D, Blood and Shadow Warrior are all good recommendations too and are all basically pinnacle examples of first gen / "2.5D" shooters.

It's about precision, not speed, you fucking numb nuts. You are doing nothing but complaining about the speed at which you move. You must be truly terrible.
Quake is about speed, and so is Tribes. You can go play those games instead. Unreal Tournament is about being precise with your movements and timing. They captured this in UT4 and I'm eager for its completion.

Instead of moving fast or being able to build up speed by bunnyhopping, you move at a consistent pace but you have a dodge on a short cooldown.
The shock combo also requires immense precision. I'm still terrible at it if I move. The game is able to have several hitscan weapons because of dodges and the translocator.

If you are complaining about this game's speed then you are approaching it with entirely the wrong attitude.

Gonna go ahead and shill this game.

Haven't tried it yet, but stumped upon it on one of the trackers I visit. Looks like doom style gameplay with co op and actual character development than just simple stats upgrade.

But take it with a grain of salt, I have yet to play this or doom, and I don't plan on playing doom anytime before I die.

SO THAT'S WHY!
I always prefered UT over Quake and most other arena shooters and I could never explain why. I liked the speed of them when compared with shit like Counter Strike but found excessive the speed in Quake and similar stuff. I do like going fast and rocket jumping is fun but it seemed to focus way too much on that one aspect to the detriment of everything else.

I get it now, though. It's the timed dodging, the aerial control and all the though you put behind every step you make that makes UT that much more satisfying than those other games.
I can only remenber a few instances where I managed to time perfectly my dodges with the fire rate of a flak cannon, evading 3 or 4 shots in a row in closer quaters (against the AI in Masterfull) and every single match of Instagib had battles that gave me the idea of lasting much more than they really did because of all the though process behind every dodge, every sidestep and every shot.

It's Precision Movement versus Raw Speed. Thanks for clearing this up, user.

Judging from the cover art you post I assume you're talking about the 2013 version of the game.
It was a nice try to bring back classic singleplayer shooters but it had some major flaws I think.

It still is fun to play however it lacks the replayability of Doom.
The classic ROTT games are more like classic Doom ( 1 and 2) though. There ought to be sharewares somewhere.

I'd add jumping puzzles from hell though that's in keeping with the original.

I just beaten Serious Sam TFE on Serious difficulty for the first time. As for good FPS games, idk how many of these are on steam, but here's my list

Doom
Duke Nukem 3D
Shadow Warrior (classic and reboot)
Blood 1 + 2
Quake 1 + 2 + 3
Half-Life 1 + 2 + expancions for HL1
Mortyr
Postal 2
Painkiller (only the first one, and you might want to try the HD remake, the original has about 5 expancion packs/DLC but they are garbage made by some other people (glorified mods ?)
Kingpin
Unreal + Unreal Tournament
Return to castle wolfenstein

I'm kinda mad since it was hailed as worst shooter ever even though it was less polished RTCW

But if we're at it let's not forget about Hellforces and Will Rock

Painkiller: Black Edition is the best
Painkiller: Overdose is easily dark souls of painkiller games, frustrating as hell but it's still good (just play play Supernatural mod instead)
Painkiller HD is better Black Edition but most of the campaign is behind paid DLC and it's not economical to get it unless there are huge sales

the rest of painkiller games just aren't worth mentioning at all. worst and laziest kind of mission packs (most of decent levels from them are in Supernatural)

and here's supernatural for lazy people

pkzone.org/painkiller-supernatural-2-0/

it doesn't need original game to work, comes with all the files needed to play

be warned that it's russian made mod therefore it will crash a lot and be buggy, but it's still better deal than playing original shitty mission packs

I actually played only the Black Edition, it was added to gaming magazine i used to buy.

Not quite Doom-y but it does use the engine: Strife.

Seriously, just go play Strife.

This guy gets it.

I propably only know this game cuz im polish ad were the devs hehe. There's also one game i totally forgot the name of. I only remember it was in the future and it was after nukes or some usual shit. I remember one of your weapons was a rat with camera and a bomb, you could control it and detonate (the animal could be different, but i'm 99% sure it was rat)

Fucking Strife mate.

The ROTT remake. It's oldschool, for better or worse. By that I mean it's fast as fuck and full of great weapons, but there are FPS platforming segments that suck dick.

JUST

Muh nugga

Doesn anyone know what game is that ? I know i didn't say much, but that's really all i remember. It was future after/during a war. You're one of the rebels (or fight against rebels) and you had explosive RC rat.

Steam

You do know that the lorelilil thing is done ironically right? It's an in-joke in the rott community. The guy who made those makes "real" maps almost monthly. You are literally raging at shitposts.

I was thinking of Laurelai

How does the Dark Forces remake someone made in jedi academy play?

How can you recommend a game that, in your opinion, plays like Doom when you have never even touched Doom in your life, you fucking dunce.