Whatever happened to games exploring strange, unique premises in order to deliver fun gameplay?

Whatever happened to games exploring strange, unique premises in order to deliver fun gameplay?

lack of money, talent, people with balls

you know the usual

Don't forget creativity.

It turns out that it's more profitable to make a sack of shit and sell it to children with bright colors, bought reviews and flashy ads.

Gameplay is dragging the medium of videogames down, we need to concentrate on narratives and being inclusive.

They would rather play it safe than to take risks and hope it pays off.

…then again, that can be blamed on the retards who keep enabling them practices like DLC.

what do you mean le goat simulator of a bread isn't creative enough for you

>open world lol so randum! games have a place among those who take a single premise and inject gameplay goals and mechanics
I guess bread simulator fits the bill but it seems more like a "weird for the sake of weird" physics simulation rather than an actual video game

IMO this whole situation is on the backs of the graphicsfags. With the amount of care you need to put in implementing stupid rendering techniques, billions of animations, audio effects up the ass, which directly translates into monies, you're stuck with either having your game turned down because "it looks like 2006 lol" or have to sell at least a million copies to cover your costs.

It's a shame, and something that could be solved by indie gaming if indie devs weren't wankers more interested in copying old school games down to the actual rendering glitches to cash on nostalgia rather than use their pressure-less position to innovate. And the few innovative ideas market themselves as meme games further reinforcing the idea that indie gaming is just for jokes.

That would require devs capable of original thinking. Not happening OP.

ayyyy
Also,
The best games of all time weren't innovative, there were FPS before Doom, Platformers before SMW/SM3, and so fucking on.

Are you seriously saying there is no such thing as innovation beyond creating genres? Are you 6? Christ.

This is probably the stupidest thing I've read all month

First of all, a game does not have to invent a fucking genre in order to qualify as innovative. Second, even if what you're saying was true and that DOOM and SMW didn't do anything new at all, saying that innovation isn't good is the same as saying that you're A-OK playing the same goddamned game with a new skin on it over and over again for the rest of your life.

In other words, you are the Call of Duty audience.

If you're baiting, and I hope to god that you are, you get a 9/11 because I am very upset at the mere notion that I might share a board with people like you.

Shiny graphics, and an obsession with "muh story" and "maturing as a medium."

Exactly this.

If anything graphics fags have legitimate reason to complain considering hardware requirements for games have been increasing but graphical fidelity has not. All thanks to lazy ass publishers hiring cheap untalented shits instead of actual programmers.

I mean for fuck's sake, Ubishit managed to make Tetris, TETRIS, unable to maintain 5fps on PS4.

I bet you wouldn't even believe where all of this "weird for the sake of weird" physics simulation shit started from.
Over six million views, man. God damn.

Could you imagine the case if that nigger never unintentionally gave this game the popularity it got for it's shitty ragdoll system? The series probably would've been shelved, and those intentionally-glitchy games probably wouldn't have made the run so soon, for another decade, or so.

It was on purpose, the human eye can't see past 5fps anyway. It was an artistic choice to show how the russians were suffering from being poor, check your white privilege!
Now who wants to check what the shills are saying and compare?

Haha I was merely pretending to be retarded.

Of course there is a place for games that don't innovate but instead build on something, but the current market overload smothers innovation for the sake of being able to sustain a business. And those who can do something, don't.

I am okay with Call of Duty releasing only minor iterations every year because they got the formula right, and CoD basically is the only reason Activision is still is business so it's their model and whatever. It will stop at some point and a new franchise/genre will take over and the cycle will restart.

I am not okay with pretty well funded indie developers releasing yet another 2D platformer that may not even be up to par with the best works of their era, 2 decades ago. You got the chance of having daddy funding your shit, at least try to be different ffs.

I made my comment to meme a bit at first but your reply is pretty spot on.
10/10 my man, you put the nail on the head.

Dude, it was GTA, it wouldn't fail.

It was pretty much already being shat on by fans for it's "dark" tone, and the fact a ton of features from the previous games were already confirmed for not returning.

The heavily glitched initial copies only proved to make matters worse, but it was finding humour in the crappy ragdoll physics that made the game so attractive, in the end, despite it's shittiness everywhere else.

It would've been dead in the water, had they not gotten Euphoria.

Pretty much. Say what you want about graphics, but even Stuntman back in 2002 was at the height of graphics in 2002. Same with each generation till recently. Saying graphics ruin gameplay is a bizarre thing to say seeing as it's responsible for all of the games you used to love, and there's a reason why no one plays pong anymore

Because pong has bad gameplay.

It always has shit graphics

roguelikes also have shit graphics, and are played to this day.

Only ones with good graphics, only nerds play with Dwarf fortress and other roguelikes with bad graphics

Most played roguelike is probably Nethack, and it uses ascii