Hardware/ Controller repair thread

So, I've been getting into repairing my controllers. Taking them apart, cleaning them, seeing what makes them tick etc.

Recently, I had bought two Wii Classic Controller Pros for 5 bucks each, and both were unresponsive. One I was able to get working well enough once I took it apart, cleaned up the contacts inside and realigned the conductive pads.

The other isn't responding at all. The Wiimote doesn't detect that it's connected, the analog sticks won't navigate the menu and the buttons do nothing.

What's the matter, would you say? Water damage? Something else? are there ways to find out if it's salvageable?

Also, vidya repair, mod and handyman thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

ifixit.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's pretty fun, and if you get good at it you can do it for money.

I've always envied people that repair/mod controllers for a quick buck, it must be really fun and decently profitable as a side thing as long as you can get the component cheaply.

I'm pretty shit at it, the most extensive work i've done was on my PS3 controller, it started giving out random inputs when pressing a button.
I had to open it up in 5 separate occasions until eventually i found a specific way to bind the central circuit board with a couple of zip ties, and make it so the tie itself that keeps it firm faces the lower side, where there's a little more space in the plastic, it's not ideal and the shell of the controller is still very slightly open, but since then it has never given me issues every again.

I dread the day my PS4 controller is gonna give me problems, that thing looks like it has a million components inside and with that stupid touch pad in the middle i doubt i would be able to pull off the same type of jury rigging.

Also i'deally i'd like to find someone that can open up my Smash 4 gamecube controller and insert the two pieces of metal under the triggers, the only thing that is missing and makes it different from an average GC controller, i'm not sure if those components are needed or give you any kind of advantage, but i'd feel more at ease if the controller was exactly the same as a standard GC controller in every way, internally.

I've been getting that issue with my PS3 controller. Happens most when there's a bunch of shit flying around in Demon's Souls or Revengeance.

I bought a new silicon conductive plastic for my xbox 360 controller, I guess.
The controller cost me 40$, but the plastic will cost me like 2$ + shipping.

The problem for me was that battery you can see there.
It's designed like shit, it's only held in place by this very stupid looking pop in plastic holder bound to the board.
When it rattles about after aging, either the wires or something else fucks up and basically what you gotta do is make sure that the battery is hold nice and tight to the board, i used zip ties, but i recommend anything that's really strong and really thin, ideally way thinner than a zip tie as there's not much space to work with once you close up the controller again.

Also the only reason why it broke was because I opened it in the first place, the A button was faulty so I checked the rubber and it was kinda tore, so I tried gluing it with glue but in the end it just broke the A button.

yes, the PS3 controller as a whole seems very hastily assembled. Thinking back to when it came out with sixaxis and no rumble, and a year or two later it had rumble and motion control. It seemed like a mish-mashed response to the 360's wireless functionality, remote start ups, and the wii's motion control in one. They even tried mixing things up with the boomerang, but quickly fell back to what worked and I think ended up with a pretty mediocre controller with poorly thought out battery placement.

I think I've seen some prototypes around, they surprisingly closely resemble the final product.

It's a piece of shit is what it is.

The PS4 controller is probably the best controller they've ever made so far if it wasn't for the touch pad and the questionable quality of the stick cover plastic.

Structurally speaking it's amazing, the buttons are all better, the face buttons have a slightly tweaked layout and inclination that makes them sturdier and easier to press, the d-pad is good, the stick themselves are great aside the cover plastic on the thumb part but even in the case it should come off entirely the stick itself stil works fine, just buying something that covers the thumb part fixes it, but the biggest improvement by far are the shoulder buttons, the triggers finally work as intended and i fucking love the bigger, wider L1 and R1.

Most I've done is take apart my PSP 2000 to replace a cracked screen. Even then, it seems it gives an orange tint at the top of it, and the nub now plays up.

Took faceplate off 1003 to get rid of the dust under the screen.

I completely agree, except for the faultiness of the analog rubbers and the absolutely shit battery life. So far my favorite controller was the Wii U Pro pad. Interestingly the DS2 was better than the DS3.

I intend to do the backlight mods for my Game Boy DMG 01 and replace a speaker in my GB Color. Not sure if I should give the Pocket a backlight mod 2. I'm not too much of a Gameboy audio geek to perform the audio mods, but I might have it commissioned.

also, I'm sure anyone who has disassembled a PS3 controller will know, the fucking lever mechanism between the analogs? Dumbest idea ever. Shit is such a pain in the ass to undo. Fuck that.

I don't even remember when I was dissasembling it in the first place.

Didn't mean to quote anyone, rip.

bump, this is a good thread.

Any tips for someone trying to fix their Wavebird? The joystick gets stuck when I move it up or down, there seems to be something in the control box itself (I got this second hand, and didn't test it until much later)

My second option, if their is no feasible way to open the damn thing up, is to try soldering a new box onto the circuit board, but, as it is my first attempt at soldering something, I fear I may fuck it up.

I occasionally open my controllers to clean them, but I have never had to do any actual repairs. The most complicated thing I had to do was change an analog stick on a PS3 controller.

Not a controller, but at one point I had to fix my Wii. It was making some weird grinding noises when reading a disc and the reason was that some metal piece got bent out of shape. I bought a cheap triwing off eBay, opened it up and then fiddled with the piece until the grinding stopped. Vid related is probably what I'm talking about, but I can't view it now because YouTube is being shit again.

If anyone is looking for guides, in my opinion iFixit does a very good job:
ifixit.com

I've repaired controllers, consoles, phones, laptops and tablets for myself, family, friends and co-workers.I'm considering getting a little more serious about it and starting my own sort of business. Problem is, like most Holla Forums autists, I hate actually talking to people which would be half the damn job.

Videogames.

Would it be a gateway to pain? Putting aside the whole 'human interaction' thing, but you can probably expect people to be insufferable assholes if you don't manage to fix their shit.

I mean I love to take apart, repair, hack shit but I can hardly see myself doing that every day.

I can. It means I can spend large amounts of time doing what I like to do most, sitting. I can do it in my own home with either the tv or music playing and get paid to do something that I think I've actually gotten pretty good at.

Yeah, definitely. People are fucking assholes and that assholery multiplies in any kind of service job. I don't think I'd have the patience to deal with assholes. Then there's the fear of someone giving me something that's fucked beyond repair and then throwing a shit fit when I give it back to them busted.

The Wii uses the same one, so if you find one of those that will work.

Would there even be enough demand for a console/electronics repair shop? I just can't see it being profitable enough to be a business on its own. Maybe if repairs were just part of what the business has to offer. Or one could do it as a sort of paid hobby: put advertising in the newspaper where people can phone you can you fix it for cash. You do something you would be doing as a hobby anyway and get some money on the side.

The GC uses the same AV cable as the SNES and N64. The Wii's is different.

bump

BTW, I finally did that foam padding "repair" to my Dualshock 3s. It's funny how shit Sony's components are.