Jason Brooks

What the fuck did they do to it?

Christian Perry
Christian Perry

Blu-ray

more like blu-rry.

Joshua Foster
Joshua Foster

Wavelet denoise filter. Be thankful - lots of their movies get MSPaint'd up by a basement full of Koreans.

David Diaz
David Diaz

DVNR?

Benjamin Price
Benjamin Price

It looks like they used one of those image up-scaling programs like waifu2x for the entire movie. Couldn't they just use the actual film to avoid this though?

Jackson Foster
Jackson Foster

mfw
How can you fuck up this badly??

Hunter Bennett
Hunter Bennett

I don't even have to expand the image to te how garbage that looks.

Jaxon Nelson
Jaxon Nelson

And it's one of my favorite movies…

James Ross
James Ross

It's like they literally just put it through adobe illustrator and hit the default setting.

Joseph Smith
Joseph Smith

Agreed

John Brooks
John Brooks

complaining about smoother lines in a drawing
What next, will you complain about high resolution digital movies too?

Jayden Thompson
Jayden Thompson

0/10

Bentley Turner
Bentley Turner

I don't get it. Is this some sort of shill thread?

Asher Morales
Asher Morales

didn't you look closely at the outlines?
/tv/index.html

Camden Hill
Camden Hill

But it seems like someone's trying to get me to buy the HD version.

Logan Brown
Logan Brown

Please stop being retarded. Thank you.

Asher Brown
Asher Brown

You cry about /tv/ so much it looks like your boogeyman is coming to life.

Levi Murphy
Levi Murphy

It looks exactly the same.

Lucas Ortiz
Lucas Ortiz

waifu2x for the entire movie
That's what first came to my mind as well, but wouldn't this virtually impossible given you'd have to upscale every single frame?

Samuel Wright
Samuel Wright

Why? They drew the frames in the first place, and I'm willing to bet it took longer than an automatic upscaling you can easily parallelize.

Ryan Butler
Ryan Butler

It aint much.

Caleb Brown
Caleb Brown

Kricfalusi was right again!

Matthew Nelson
Matthew Nelson

On Demonoid there's an italian HDrip torrent which includes the english audio. Not the best quality but miles better than Disney's "restoration".

La Spada Nella Roccia (the Sword In The Stone, 1963)[1080p H264 - Ita Eng Ac3 - SoftSub Ita Eng] HDTVFull [Tntvillage.Scambi oetico]

Henry Anderson
Henry Anderson

They actually zoomed in to fit the aspect ratio.

Nathan Martin
Nathan Martin

that first image
Good lord

Juan Taylor
Juan Taylor

Why Jesus, holy fuck it's like they just said fuck it and let a youtuber work it lol

Eli Robinson
Eli Robinson

Jesus christ, I thought I stepped into a emulation filter thread on /v/.

Ian Green
Ian Green

cropping should be punishable by death

Lucas Richardson
Lucas Richardson

I need more examples of this, I can't tell by this image alone if this is a shitty change or not

Colton Murphy
Colton Murphy

DVD will always be the superior format!

Xavier Morales
Xavier Morales

Up and down
High and low
Screw the res you bought it, bro

Luke Barnes
Luke Barnes

has nothing to do with it being DVD though, they just started going full retard with autistic color filters, cropping images and shit

Levi King
Levi King

Not part of the topic, but watching Sleeping Beauty on DVD made me realize how fantastic those background paintings were.

Jacob Cox
Jacob Cox

put film in scanner
put scan in mpeg encoder
put mpeg on disc
why is this so fucking hard

James Peterson
James Peterson

These guys were good.

Benjamin Robinson
Benjamin Robinson

Such a beautiful movie.

Gavin Butler
Gavin Butler

Why is this making me sad?

Thomas Morris
Thomas Morris

Because this is not how it is done nowadays. That's why.

Anthony Evans
Anthony Evans

why is this so fucking hard
Because they can't decide if they want to have the picture sterilized of any artifacts that would be introduced from photography (ex. the BD restorations of Snow White, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland, and probably Cinderella and Peter Pan) or to leave just a bit of noise in, because that's perfectly natural and how animation looked up until the retirement of celluloid in 1989 (which is how Ichabod and Mr. Toad and The Reluctant Dragon were restored on BD).
This is probably a challenge with the first decade or so of features, shorts, and TV programming involving Xeroxed animation. Before Ub Iwerks developed the xerography process, animation was hand-inked onto the cel and then painted onto the back. Xerography replaced the nice, young ladies in the inking department at Hyperion avenue with about eight or nine modified copy machines. Animators and clean-up artists were then more responsible for how the shot turned out. This is why Disney's animation looked all rough and scratchy around the edges, starting around 1960 with a one-off short named Goliath II (embedded), and then the following year in One Hundred and One Dalmatians.
The cels, though, were still hand-painted and backgrounds range from "also cheaply xeroxed for consistency by order of art director Ken Anderson" (ex. One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Aristocats) to "still pretty nicely done" (Mary Poppins, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, The Jungle Book, The Rescuers).

tl:dr - Disney didn't think digital video through the way Warner Bros. did, and they're trying the same restoration on two different techniques of photography.

Sebastian Foster
Sebastian Foster

So they're trying to make sure this movie fails twice, right?

Wyatt Torres
Wyatt Torres

platinum has wider coverage but the detail is down

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit