Original Xbox Thread

Alright Holla Forums, so I just softmodded my original Xbox using Splinter Cell, a cheap Chinese USB adapter, and the Ndure/Krayzie softmod package. I burnt Half-Life 2 onto a DVD+R to test its capability with playing backups and was pleased with the results.

That being said, I have a few questions about the future of my Xbox after successfully softmodding it:

Also general discussion about the original Xbox. PS2, Gamecube, and Dreamcast discussion also welcome but no circlejerking plz.

Other urls found in this thread:

xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list
mega.nz/#!mcpWCQLS!2ITCS2HAQKaXL6URX-L6dGt1t6Wb2Oh7RzsVYI1tKb8
mega.nz/#!2Mpima5Y!kGjr_uuZECPjZh-NOyXiL4483yt_9Z6cHd_M5BcrdlQ
mega.nz/#!fJJXwCpZ!WPxfJlVGnJqMS6nK8mlFyRo8c8Fc7e24c--hFrk36-o
mega.nz/#!GMolURCK!bSARLAAmYT4WMf1QOaqrOGZIOJA_1KQbdq3o2LseCv0
mega.nz/#!vMhyGRwK!4gl5ix99RD8IWjxbYmQd8jujjzGoDUXC9hZB_yR-r3M
mega.nz/#!yNQQAAqQ!iSyLLmMgtGH2JfWfasr-3v2YsA-S6duK3p-WtvHKgEo
mega.nz/#!iYBkgJhI!T9ttEOh91rysS3v675bQh59ZKxE9wq7eh24Zd8XFWLA
mega.nz/#!Ddo3DA5Q!KJAWy1ktqCaEw8aZ-vEVe-9gmdhQ0Yv-xD8f9g5PCYU
pastebin.com/PFMDg37F
pastebin.com/hicNfpCV
mega.nz/#!3J5H1RLY!vBRxkU9lSA--ucwt7yemjbJIBJqT-IUUoLLuM-t1kpU
mega.nz/#!rBgz3JCJ!Uq8W0eCxpJp3haMLVlZb6s2Ha4fCxKhDpk04HIb_O7o
mega.nz/#!aIBFEIIZ!CcQs-XD-vJpVu0GkXmShPNEmdnmbsdVrye1R8Se_0Z4
mega.nz/#!bAAGSIbB!M6ZV8mWUCpYkgmJHfaUWUl19d1rpw4MhoLXik2AhPwA
mega.nz/#!bJgz3QzT!bFrdKJ5k7W1M8xxay5cbkkFpCD7A9QIC7A3wHRrax6Q
mega.nz/#!iIxHDBaB!zcyfcZkfju1bErCrAYhRq58FCKYO2UFmVk8-S9CvlO0
mega.nz/#!eQ4DiayQ!RI8FLlEpvlMdzobBnLN79mMpIvZYqY6hveCVe33FEww
mega.nz/#!KEoCFboJ!V-MoMiQWy9CQq1M_Hac-3bOoIXf-d5ZgPC1pYfZU1jM
mega.nz/#!uZpHgBJB!jodmKUqNvTlqYXg4qP2NqVs-LDfOnvWEnFOe9kap7vE
mega.nz/#!XU420BrI!NUf3jEWNJTMkGPcwTZ9Phnan53CwHr1RNIDDEb6p4D4
theisozone.com/tutorials/ps2/hardware-and-modding/ps2-hdd-modding-tutorial-hddosd/
mega.nz/#!KVJVFILB!W63hjl14olrS8WHYN8snsC64mxaMeuaKOOd1qb7rQ_E
mega.nz/#!7BA2RY5Y!yAsudfQRvt2iydtGmrqSOiT13KqPl6mAznKdhrxo4vk
mega.nz/#!bBpTxTiA!AvY_saCCiGqM1vVpxdNT_dykrNoq9wCA960jo7p33AY
mega.nz/#!XBBVQKRC!YG5W6DK0ymv9sk1jbehorrlWM23cZb0quQarN9talM4
mega.nz/#!aFpzyIDL!Mya4SQngGBdtxHCNAJO0wcPjNQpUVMiSYhTjUPcpuac
mega.nz/#!3QgC3abb!DPXHQcQNu5ftV9JF5cM7yElPiTOQbZeXZi89-ouTMCU
mega.nz/#!KEITFZRD!TuWdYK81P_88BWU8wi_oclffXIftlQU76QSebKd8EY4
mega.nz/#!6dBhXZYY!76CoJUxw7vg8DR5ffqugmc0z5BTxHbLehFf3Q8WAZ48
mega.nz/#!fZxWRCgS!rbWM0CadoMN8HdRypCSyVRkHEaYg_JkdGI6Zj9DJ8O0
gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-softmod-the-original-xbox.385064/
vault-tec.info/post/90476753721/original-xbox-tricks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Another question, are there any Xbox games released on CD format? If so, could/should I burn them to a CD-R or how would that work?

shameless self-bump

I don't have an Xbox myself, but I've heard good things in the past about Gun Valkyrie, Panzer Dragoon Orta, both Otogi games, and Phantom Dust if you need some ideas.

No point self bumping a thread after that short a time; not like we have half/v/'s ridiculous amount of PPH here.

I don't think any were CD-Rs, a few games are below 700MB, but not many. Most are in the 1.3-3GB range. You're best off saving the money on optical media, getting a decent hard drive (250GB IDE's are like $20), upgrading your box. Make sure to check if its compatible too. xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list You want to make sure it supports locking.

OP I'll answer some of your questions after I get back from getting dinner. I know most everything about the Xbox.

METAL WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLF

what the fuck is this yellow wire in the controller?
the female USB cable I have only has green white black and red wires

Thanks user. Getting a bigger hard drive sounds like a good idea and I've been looking into that. The only major technical concern I have is whether I need to remove the time capacitor or not.

One of the first games I've downloaded.

Just get a cheap USB adapter off ebay, user. The soldering shit's too much trouble.

magatama, tenerezza, hello kitty roller rescue, scarface the world is yours, brute force, dennou taisen drone-Z, rent-a-hero no. 1, Black, Raze's Hell, NUDE@, Airforce Delta Storm, Angelic Concert, Area 51, Castlevania Curse of Darkness, Crash Twinsanity, Daemon Vector, Wreckless, Double Steal 2, Enclave, Gungriffon Allied Strike, Galleon, Otogi 1 & 2, and Phantom Dust.

The Xbox has about 60-90 games on it worth really giving a good shot. Great system.

technically, as long as its plugged into with a pass-through cable (PC->Xbox) or Router/Modem -> Xbox it's receiving Internet juice. Since there's been breakthroughs with emulation and the architecture of XBLA and how accounts worked, maybe some day XBLA emulation can be achieved.

FTP everything to your Xbox. Store locally and play off the hard drive. I suggest upgrading the HDD and also getting an 80-pin IDE cable. Emulators however, coinops is running the latest versions of every emulator on the system, it's the best you can get, although requires a bit of setting up to get running right, it's great.

if you have an Xcalibur chip (below the AV adapter on the inside, underneath the DVD tray) DO NOT TOUCH THE CLOCK CAPACITOR. It's fine.

If you have a conexant or focus chip in that same spot, below the av adapter on the motherboard, remove that clock capacitor.

make sure you get the translation patch too.

¿Any good page for downloading games?
I only know about emuparadise.

an unused wire, clip it short or black tape it

theisozone, but it uses a slow host. if you have any requests, ask me. I also have the halo games, splinter cell I can rip, just not in the folder atm.

bump

Anyone using Linux on Xbox? How well does it run?

How is DOSBox on the platform?

XBMC plugins worth grabbing?

Thanks dood. I'll check the clock capacitor later.

Hey user, think you can hook me up with good ol' Ty The Tasmanian Tiger, Unreal Championship 2, Fuzion Frenzy, and Phantom Dust?

Awww shiiet. Its been a while, sadly I haven't played as much Jade Empire since I recently got my hands on a modded SEGA Saturn and I've been playing Shmups and Fighters out the ass. What are some good shmups for the Xbox?

If its not too much to ask you think you could upload @Nude for me? I haven't been able to find a working link on Isozone.

You could also try playing Panzer Dragoon Orta on 480p. If it doesn't work without patching it means you have a 1.6 model and therefore do not need to change the capacitator.

Good idea. I will most likely try that. Do you need component cables to get it to run that way though?

Yes you do. I assumed you already had, all games run on at least 480p if you have component cables, there are some that play at 720p and even 1080i.

I don't have access to my Xbox right now so I can't test anything but I remember having to set the clock multiple times after not turning it on for a while. Could that be a bad sign? The disk drive was also pretty much fucked. I'm not sure whether to have someone fix it (I don't trust myself with that shit) or just get a new one.

Fugg. That's pretty cool though I currently have it hooked up in the rec room with all my retro consoles so it doesn't hook up to component.

there's only one game that is always locked at 480i, no matter what. It's a pool game, but it's the only game that does a resolution check after the game is running. Interestingly. Every default.xbe (consider it the game.exe for xbox's) has the same exact hex data for resolution, the Xbox was a very unified system. All anyone needs to do is patch that exact value in the default.xbe and you can in theory force any game to be rendering at up to 1920x1080 interlaced.

Of course, you will be getting sloppy performance, but you could do a CPU/RAM upgrade to improve the performance. There are also other visual flaws, as many of the games use hud elements and overlays that are tailored specifcially for the 480p resolution, so you end up getting the game rendered at a high resolution, but still having hud elements tucked in to the corner. Hopefully some discoveries down the line will fix this. Probably once emulation catches up it'll be on the menu.

sure man. I'll start uploading to mega now.
Nude is already up from last time.
NUDE@: mega.nz/#!mcpWCQLS!2ITCS2HAQKaXL6URX-L6dGt1t6Wb2Oh7RzsVYI1tKb8

no, it's typical. The xbox doesn't use a battery to track time, which is just stupid, it uses a capacitor which, if the system isn't getting power going to it for a few days, will lose its charge and will essentially be null until the next boot, where it'll ask you for the time and date again. It's strongly recommended that you look inside the system to determine the version. If you've got a focus/conexant chip, remove the clock capacitor. You don't even need to solder it off, just use some needle nose pliers and wiggle it out.

Component makes these 6th gen games look amazing. I love the clarity. You should also have a PS2 hooked up to component, if you can.

oh, you have to check out Xyanide. Game is just un-fucking-real. Shikigami no Shiro is also great on the Xbox.

Thanks dood.

Also would component look more ideal on a CRT or LCD?

Do any games make use of the clock? Will removing the capacitor have any downsides?

hello kitty roller rescue wishes you a happy birthday if you play it on your birthday. Otherwise, the system will just ask you to set the clock every time you boot it. Unleash X and other dashboards track time by emulating the clock instead. The clock is always in memory once it's been properly initialized.

Phantom Dust - mega.nz/#!2Mpima5Y!kGjr_uuZECPjZh-NOyXiL4483yt_9Z6cHd_M5BcrdlQ
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger - mega.nz/#!fJJXwCpZ!WPxfJlVGnJqMS6nK8mlFyRo8c8Fc7e24c--hFrk36-o
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 2 - mega.nz/#!GMolURCK!bSARLAAmYT4WMf1QOaqrOGZIOJA_1KQbdq3o2LseCv0
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 3 - mega.nz/#!vMhyGRwK!4gl5ix99RD8IWjxbYmQd8jujjzGoDUXC9hZB_yR-r3M
Unreal Championship 2 - mega.nz/#!yNQQAAqQ!iSyLLmMgtGH2JfWfasr-3v2YsA-S6duK3p-WtvHKgEo

Anyone have any other requests? Please refer to my library here:

I'd like to try out Shin Megami Tensei Nine for myself.

Conker Live And Reloaded
Can't find it as an NTSC any where

PHANTOM CRASH

It's Gran Turismo with Mecha, amazing game.
Sadly the original developers are dead now and the IP was hoovered up by Konami who are of course doing nothing with it just like all their other IP's that aren't called Metal Gear.

forgot one, Fuzion Frenzy:
mega.nz/#!iYBkgJhI!T9ttEOh91rysS3v675bQh59ZKxE9wq7eh24Zd8XFWLA

Shin Megami Tensei Nine:
mega.nz/#!Ddo3DA5Q!KJAWy1ktqCaEw8aZ-vEVe-9gmdhQ0Yv-xD8f9g5PCYU

I'm not sure if my copy is NTSC or PAL. What are the differences between regions?

Thanks. Once I have my Xbox back I'll have to mod it and see if Nine is as bad as I'd assume seeing as it was meant to be an MMO but ended up being single player.

I have a PAL Obscure rom and it lags in cutscenes

I'll give it a try though

Blinx, Conker, and Vex pls. Surprised you have vex, almost no one I ever talk to knows about it.

Thanks for @Nude. Now I just need to get my hands on a mic. Here's the Wii and Dreamcast pastebin in case you own either of these since you're such a good chap. I also noticed a notepad file there that said Xbox recommended games, hows that going?
DC: pastebin.com/PFMDg37F
Wii: pastebin.com/hicNfpCV

At least the NGC microphones are cheap and easy to find, the same can't be said for Xbox or Dreamcast tho.

the .txt is deprecated and should have been deleted a long time ago. the actual list is the real deal

Thanks user, you're the man of the year.

Was about to ask for this too. You guys are doing God's work.

Oh fuck I forgot about this. Hey Anonbro can you hook me up with this too? What is it with the Xbox and badass mech games?

Main difference is resolution and frame rates, It has to do with TVs and broadcast standards, You need a TV/monitor from the respective region to display a games that's released for either PAL or NTSC regions.

NTSC is the broadcast standard for most of North America and Japan. Video usually run at 60 fps progressive or 30 fps interlaced.

PAL is for Europe and pretty much anywhere else. Max framerate is 50 fps progressive and 25 interlaced.

By the time the Dreamcast came out, more and more European TVs had an NTSC mode to allow for the higher frame rate. Depending on the developer some games would allow for users to activate an NTSC mode. This might actually work if you're in the US playing a PAL game, as you can use this option to display the game without the need for a Euro TV or an extra monitor.

This is of course assuming your console is modded to bypass region locking put by the console manufacturer.

I know all this, I was asking how it affected live and reloaded specifically, a modded Xbox can just force ntsc.

Vexx - mega.nz/#!3J5H1RLY!vBRxkU9lSA--ucwt7yemjbJIBJqT-IUUoLLuM-t1kpU
Blinx - mega.nz/#!rBgz3JCJ!Uq8W0eCxpJp3haMLVlZb6s2Ha4fCxKhDpk04HIb_O7o
Blinx 2 - mega.nz/#!aIBFEIIZ!CcQs-XD-vJpVu0GkXmShPNEmdnmbsdVrye1R8Se_0Z4
Conker Live & Reloaded - mega.nz/#!bAAGSIbB!M6ZV8mWUCpYkgmJHfaUWUl19d1rpw4MhoLXik2AhPwA

Xbox had a 60Hz toggle in it's options menu instead of displaying a 60hz flip before you started the game like the Dreamcast did so it automatically did PAL/NTSC scaling on a hardware level (Compared to DC and Gamecube which were software). Some games were not even 50hz compatable or even locked off Xbox Live play unless you ran in 60Hz.

The only option locked off was progressive scan (As there were barely any TV's in Europe with it) but you can unlock that with 3rd party firmware.

Fucking hell.

Cold Fear, Burnout 3, Rising Sun, Hit & Run, and XIII, por favor.

xbump

Thanks user.

Think I could get Psychonauts too?

I'll upload these when i get home. I think the best version of psychonauts is the xbox one because it never got retroactively patched and the meat circus remains unbutchered.

Ah, good ol' Meat Circus

Right, so i recently bought some cheap component cables off of ebay, but i hook them up to my xbox and get a very shitty signal with some horizontal lines constantly flashing on my TV. I'm guessing it's the cables because it doesn't do that with composite.

Did microsoft ever release any official component cables?

Instead of a special cable they officially opted for this special High Definition AV Pack. It's basically just a dongle that connects to the AV-out and you can plug any RCA cable into it from there on out.

If you want one of those, get an official MS one. I got impatient and ended up with a shitty 3rd party one that has the same problems your cable has, and after that I paid too much for an official one.

You want to check your dashboards video settings, and make sure your tv supports the selected mode. Component cables are based on a standard from like the 70s, they are difficult to find faulty. Also check to make sure they are in tge correct inputs.

Finally started uploading the requested games. Will post as soon as they're live.

Oh, I slept in.

Medal of Honor Rising Sun - mega.nz/#!bJgz3QzT!bFrdKJ5k7W1M8xxay5cbkkFpCD7A9QIC7A3wHRrax6Q
Cold Fear - mega.nz/#!iIxHDBaB!zcyfcZkfju1bErCrAYhRq58FCKYO2UFmVk8-S9CvlO0
Burnout 3 - mega.nz/#!eQ4DiayQ!RI8FLlEpvlMdzobBnLN79mMpIvZYqY6hveCVe33FEww
XII - mega.nz/#!KEoCFboJ!V-MoMiQWy9CQq1M_Hac-3bOoIXf-d5ZgPC1pYfZU1jM
Simpsons Hit & Run - mega.nz/#!uZpHgBJB!jodmKUqNvTlqYXg4qP2NqVs-LDfOnvWEnFOe9kap7vE
Psychonauts - mega.nz/#!XU420BrI!NUf3jEWNJTMkGPcwTZ9Phnan53CwHr1RNIDDEb6p4D4

Please, if you have Medal of Honor European Assault, Otogi 1/2, Republic Commando and/or Halo 1/2 I'll suck your dick

Holy shit, you DO have them, plus a a lot of good stuff. I'll add Castlevania and the 007 games to my request.

I'll take care of it when i get home, check the thread around the evening, eastern time. Also you may want to look into croixleur sigma for the ps4, also on pc but ps4 has more and cuter characters. Same team that worked on mitsurugi kamui hikae. Another good one is skylens.

Greatly appreciated.

Heyo quick question regarding PS2 modding since that's cool I guess:
Is it possible to play games off the fat PS2's HDD? Google's being a tit and offering me solutions where the threads devolve into arguments instead of actual yes or no's.

Definitely possible. theisozone.com/tutorials/ps2/hardware-and-modding/ps2-hdd-modding-tutorial-hddosd/

Tried to do it myself, but I don't have an IDE to USB adapter that actually works. I think FMCB supports HDDs as well, but I'm not sure.

Yeah, it's more difficult, and there's numerous ways of playing PS2 games. You can even get a modded network adapter with SATA ports instead of IDE. Generally you want to use OPL as your loader for games.

I'd give you a guide through it, but it's a good amount of work. Make a thread some time if you want help, I usually lurk for console modding threads, xbox in particular however.

Halo 1 & 2 are currently uploading, finally got home, gonna nap before my night shift.

Medal of Honor European Assault - mega.nz/#!KVJVFILB!W63hjl14olrS8WHYN8snsC64mxaMeuaKOOd1qb7rQ_E
Otogi - mega.nz/#!7BA2RY5Y!yAsudfQRvt2iydtGmrqSOiT13KqPl6mAznKdhrxo4vk
Otogi 2 - mega.nz/#!bBpTxTiA!AvY_saCCiGqM1vVpxdNT_dykrNoq9wCA960jo7p33AY
Star Wars Republic Commando - mega.nz/#!XBBVQKRC!YG5W6DK0ymv9sk1jbehorrlWM23cZb0quQarN9talM4
007 Agent Under Fire - mega.nz/#!aFpzyIDL!Mya4SQngGBdtxHCNAJO0wcPjNQpUVMiSYhTjUPcpuac
007 Nightfire - mega.nz/#!3QgC3abb!DPXHQcQNu5ftV9JF5cM7yElPiTOQbZeXZi89-ouTMCU
James Bond 007 Everything or Nothing - mega.nz/#!KEITFZRD!TuWdYK81P_88BWU8wi_oclffXIftlQU76QSebKd8EY4
James Bond 007 From Russia with Love - mega.nz/#!6dBhXZYY!76CoJUxw7vg8DR5ffqugmc0z5BTxHbLehFf3Q8WAZ48

Funny, Mega just gave me a pop up about how it's not a service for copyright infringement or whatever. I didn't read it, just hit accept. I guess you get it the more content you share,

So you almost done with the chart then?

Are any of these games fun? Solid singleplayer or are they more multiplayer oriented?

Looking good, any reason why the games are not in alphabetical order? Or are you going by genres like pic related? Also

Kek. Is it any good?

Going by genre. And yes, the game is very good. I have never played a game that acknowledges your birthday that is bad.

Is there any JRPGs on Xbox? My mom just bought me one for $5 from a garage sale, but I mainly play Japanese games, so I'm just not too sure what it has to offer me. Are the Xbox versions of Fatal Frame the preferred ones? I sure wish I had that giant mech controller right about now.

There's quite a few Japanese games. You should mod your Xbox too. Some interesting ones are Metal Dungeon, Cyber Attack Team, Tenerezza, Shin Megami Tensei Nine. These are just RPGs, the Xbox had a plethora of Japanese action games, like the classic Ninja Gaiden Black, Metal Wolf Chaos, Otogi 1 & 2, and some really great exclusives like Magatama.

Do you think I should include a region flag for where the game was made? I think it would be a nice novelty.

I think theres maybe a handful, just one hand mind you. All in Jap too.

Could you upload Destroy All Humans 1? I can't find it for the life of me.

sure, uploading now.

Looking at this chart a little closer, there may be far more games I'm interested in than I knew existed. I take it most of the cross platform games on the list are better on the Xbox than their PS2/gamecube counterparts?

I'm gonna have to read up on everything. I didn't know I was getting an Xbox today. Besides some dust the thing seems like it's in pretty nice condition too. Apparently, the people "upgraded to an Xbox one." It seemed kind of weird since I would've expected a 360 or something along the way.

I'm gonna have to check into these. i had no idea there was a SMT game on it either. i think I'll prioritize that search first.

It would help people like myself if the normal crowd is okay with it. For things like Xbox and GameCube it just seems like it can be easy to miss some of the Japanese third party titles. It seemed like they sort of got overshadowed by western ones or something.

even besides JRPGs is there any fan Translations or undubs or anything? I'm just wondering what the benefits of CFW are, besides the free games. My backlog is so bad that I really wouldn't mind buying games if they're available at decent prices. Since I tend to enjoy a lot of niche games piracy may be my only option though.

I'm not sure what other people think, but what i would find awesone is a slight description or just even the genre / year / number of players or something like that I just have no idea what some some of the things on there are.

hows xbox emulation on 360? does it at least make games look decent? my 360 is just collecting dust, would be nice to have a reason to use it again.

Whats so good about Panzer Dragoon?
It just looks like an average rail shooter to me.

Its terrible mate. My brother used to own a 360, I brought over JSRF and it had framedrops put the ass.

f u g

Meant out the ass. Even then Xboxes be cheap mate and they pirate friendly.

Its a pretty good railshooter I prefer the Saturn ones tho + dragons. Whats not to like? It looks amazing too for a 6th gen game.

Thanks

One thing I love about Xbox, you can get games dirt cheap.

A few weeks ago I picked up Outlaw Volleyball for $4. I've always wanted to dabble in the outlaw series, why not start here? Fighting is pointless, but volleyball is pretty fun. Is the rest of the series worth a shot? or should I stop now?

You're missing the Burnout games you nigger, along with Amped 1 and 2. Remove Azurik, they game was shit.

Yes

It's just a good refined rail shooter with a Moebius influenced artstyle, weird techno-organic lore, and amazing music and visuals.

Aight thanks

Destroy all Humans - mega.nz/#!fZxWRCgS!rbWM0CadoMN8HdRypCSyVRkHEaYg_JkdGI6Zj9DJ8O0

Cheers mate

Don't know or give a single fuck about undubs, about the only JRPG on the xbox i can think of is Phantom dust

I've been wanting to replay this

It's not unused, it's the data cable for the memory cards.

bump

Oh shit nigga! Thanks a lot!

Got my hands on a cheap madcatz lightgun for the xbox. Apart from House of the Dead, any good lightgun games?

Your only other options are Silent Scope Complete or Starsky & Hutch. Emulators may work, but it seems highly dependent on the ROM and emulator.

There is also virtua cop 3 if you upgrade the RAM in your xbox to 128mb.

Build wall

get them out ==out out out==

I love this console so much. So many fond memories and nostalgia.

I don't have much nostalgic experience with it, I had one growing up, but few games for it, so apart from a major release with Halo, Halo 2, and Fable, I largely missed out on the system. After I got into Wii modding, I knew there was an Xbox scene, and did mild research into it, and decided the next system I mod will be an Xbox.

It was a PSP instead, but that same Summer, I got my own Xbox, and within a week started doing Xbox modding. Like with any freshly modded system, I wanted to find all the good games. So I searched deep, and the deeper I got, the fewer bones of other explorers I found, and honestly, with how little the system is discussed, felt like I discovered some sort of massive hidden treasure, and was stunned at the number of legitimately great games and what the console was capable of.

Xbox only sold 24 million.

It was all about the PS2 in that gen. Everything else sold like shit.

And unlike the GameCube the Xbox didn't have an autistic fanbase of obsessive manchildren. Emulating the xbox is hard too because it used custom chips which are still secret.

GameCube was just IBM shit so emulating it wasn't that hard.

halo sucked and microcuck sucks. suk it xbros sony always wins

The biggest issues today with emulation are GPU accuracy and the nvidia sound hardware, otherwise the emulation problem is pretty much solved. There's been a lot of progress made, just no real push. I hope talking about the system and its library is a little bit of a push.

ebin post

Well, at least theres solace in the fact that Xboxes are cheap and easy to mod. I just recently shelled out over $100 on a modded Saturn because emulation is still iffy. Even if it was god-tier, one still needs to mount images.
Absolute shite

Some games run fine, many games don't, and a bigger number of them just don't work.

What were the halo niggers then?

Xbomp

Halobros were cool

eh, I didn't care for them, but they aren't a good comparison for Nintendo fans. Nintendo fans still cling on to the mediocre gamecube, Halo fans moved on after Halo 3.

so awhile back i managed to softmod my xbox after spending a good deal of time searching for information. i never did find a good all in one guide and had to use several different sources which worked but now i'm wanting to softmod an xbox for a friend and have lost most of the guides i found. anyone know of some good softmodding guides?

here's one I made. HDD upgrade tutorial is a bit out of date. It's based on this guys tutorials who produced excellent videos.
gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-softmod-the-original-xbox.385064/

also feel free to post anime girls who are in games on the xbox as new ones I can add in.

How viable is it to move games to and from the default hard drive when I want to play them?

you're just limited on space mostly. It works fine, and there's applications to rip from DVDs too. The stock HDD is just really small, which is a bit of a dilemma. Most Western Digital drives seem to be excellently supported, however. There's a great resource here:
xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list
should help when HDD shopping. Look for models that can be locked. Always. Make sure there's a few positive results of locking being supported too.

You can also upgrade the stock IDE cable, which reads at about 9-11MB/s on average, to a ATA133 IDE cable, which reads at 14-16MB/s. This is all a lot faster than the DVD drive which at best can get 4-6MB/s on a good day. The differences in load times is very noticeable for what is a $2 upgrade.

I want to cover these details in the updated modding guide.

Oh, and I think there's like two games that are on dual layer DVDs, they clock in at something like 6-7GB give or take. Obviously, the stock drive can't store that.

This one is pretty good and home-made. Nothing like home-made user, but this one is pretty straightforward too: vault-tec.info/post/90476753721/original-xbox-tricks
Pretty good.

awesome. thanks guys.