PORTAL

Why nobody talks about this game anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

a.pomf.cat/vnuicw.mp4
steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970484475/myworkshopfiles?appid=620
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

GLaDOS is my waifu

Because it's almost a decade old and only 2 hours long. Are you stupid?

Because memes made it popular.
Holla Forums hates memes.

:^)
i still masturbate to GlaDOS

Most everybody's said what they had to on it. Portals were a fantastic concept in a 3D game and physics-based puzzles were interesting but Valve's fucking retarded playtesters ensured the puzzles stayed simple.

Post GLaDOS clang.

Portal was cool, but I still liked Portal 2 more.

Kelly Baileys absence really hurt the game imo

Good taste.

Just wait for the J.J. Abrams movie to come out.

She's hot, but she's a bit too crazy for my taste.

They casualized the fuck out of Portal 2. Half of the game is a walking simulator with annoying retard trying too hard to be funny. Soundtrack is awful most of the times with exception of some scenes (such as Wheatley turning evil). And most of all the did the same mistake Hotline Miami 2 did later - they told too much while decided to develop muh plot when no one asked them to.

Fuck off back to Metroid Prime, retard.

It's always quite funny to see this type of posts. The user tries so hard to sound retarded with all these question marks and "xD" emoticons. You can almost feel how angry they are while typing that.
BTW, trying to sound retarded makes you literally retarded.

I do it for comedic purposes.
So you do not reject my claim of you being a retard, instead insisting I'm one? kk

It was nothing special tbh fam

to be fair, portal 2 was still harder than the first game was in terms of having challenging puzzles. of course there's the "there are three spots to put portals in the entirety of this giant room" parts but when the game did just the regular chambers, they were more stimulating than the first game. there were more physics glitches too which made least portals challenges interesting, but no abh made the speedrun challenges worse for sure. the workshop integration and highscores for stages and co-op and what not were all steps forward too but the game was held back by dumb decisions like very linear and boring non-puzzle parts, long as fuck talking segments you cant skip, and pretty much the entire execution of old aperture.

its more a mixed bag than anything. i think saying its entirely awful is being a bit disingenuous. its easy to see why some people might like it more than the first game and others might like it less. personally i think its __better__.

This is my greenlighted headcannon.

Holla Forums acts in negation with Portal after what normalfags did to it with the cake is a lie shit and other things, while they forgot all the Portal threads they had back in halfchan.

I enjoyed it. Great Co-op. Could have been harder, alright.

There is a fanmade standalone Portal 2 prequel mod out there.
From what I've read it's harder than the base game and breddy gud. I haven't played it yet, though.
Vid related - Portal Stories: Mel

Every fucking time with this "Holla Forums did x but now does y!" bullshit.
Nobody even shits on the first game, hating the memes that came from the game doesn't equal hating the game itself.

the game was cheapened by its creators

the fanbase, however stupid, was not the problem

Disagree. The story mode for Portal 2 is a walk in the park. Designed that way in my opinion to help a controller.
Flinging was the best part of Portal 1 and it was hugely reduced to just 1 or 2 flings through a portal to finish a chamber.

How come we don't talk about the workshop through?

I have found the puzzles on the workshop have a much better challenge variety compared to anything Valve dished up. Coop on Workshop too.
There are some really mean ones that left me thinking for a good 30 mins on how to get a cube through the chamber. It is twice as fun when you get those coop maps that requires serious thinking on both sides.

Just get the greasemonkey script to download of the workshop to get the zip file that you throw in your maps folder. Now play coop workshop maps through hamachi or whatever your preferred client is.

Fuck roller coaster maps on the workshop for real. It defeats the whole point of the game, to solve a puzzle.

Any chances that there is a torrent of this mod?

The first meme game

enough said

She is a robot, how are you going to…
Nevermind.

ELECTRIC STIMULATION

because the orange box came out in fucking 2009

That is the reason why I haven't played it yet

Define meme game, redditfags.

Check my email field in that post.

FLESH
LIGHT
ATTACHMENT

Geeze I don't know OP

I liked Portal: Prelude more than the other two

He said puzzles you idiot. Flinging has jack shit to do with making the game more puzzling. It just makes the game more of a platformer than a puzzle game.

You're right on the money with regards to the workshop though. All the community content (especially that Mel mod, seriously
just fucking buy Portal 2 if you really have to) proves that Valve actually made a really damn good puzzle game, even if it took the community to unlock that potential.

Puzzles that get figured out are not so puzzling anymore. Not much replay value.

Portal 2 was unfunny casual shit. J.K. Simmons was the main game's only redeeming factor, and he was only there for the part where gameplay got really really boring. The end song was so disappointingly unfunny they had to rely on fucking Lego Dimensions to partially redeem it. (vid related)

Co op was great, but way too short and by the time customization tools came out nobody cared anymore.

Worst part was listening to the commentary and hearing the vastly superior game Valve was going to make until they fed it to their paint chip teir full retard testers. Like how fucking stupid were those casuals? After that the game became a linear easy and boring mess.

Basically, the game is about as worth talking about as any other forgotten mediocre game designed for casuals.

a.pomf.cat/vnuicw.mp4

This is from an old thread back in halfchan.

A supposed Portal developer post it to show the differences of Portal before a downgrade was made.

There is another video but currently I'm unable to find it.

Because the cake is a lie, we can't talk about it here.

Why the hell am I just learning about this game now? I’m a goddamn sucker for crossovers, particularly when the franchises aren’t all owned by the same multiglomerate. Why the fuck isn’t this on PC?

What the fuck is there to talk about, it was a 3-hour at most puzzle game if you aren't retarded.

I didn't like Mel's voice over work. I know it's nitpicking, but it took me right out of the game.

Traveler's Tales doesn't want you pirating.

You wouldn't download a minifig, would you?

1 was interesting
2 was too human/normalfag generic, as in they made it more typical-human like to appeal to normalfags idk

Just play everything that guy made: steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970484475/myworkshopfiles?appid=620
BTW, check out how much hours does he have in both Portal games - he is insane.

because jew jew binks is making a portal movie and if his last films are any indication chell is going to team up with glados to fight the white supremacist patriarchy.

so we're all really just trying to let any residual feelings we had left for it die quietly in the corner before that.
its less painful this way.

Portal 2 is better in every way.

it also didnt spawn a retarded meme that casuals who have never played the game can spout to be le nerdz xD

they made it more humanlike to appeal too humans

It seems that you don't use YouTube that much. The most canverous of all Portal 2 memers is Harry101UK for it is the hideous kind of caner - it is unnoticable under all the layers of visual quality.

LEMONS.

The problem with Portal 2 was not that it was made to be Tumblr-core, but that its the game that essentially turned Valve itself Tumblr-core after it was released do to its off-color humor that attracted millions of Redditors and Tumblrfags

But TF2 was filled with off-color humor to begin with.

I wish hyper casual games like Bioshock were more like this game instead of being really, really shit.

The game had cuing out the yin yang. Solutions are literally highlighted by texture changes. Only an idiot would have to think hard or at all in the main story. This is game is factually easier.

They had to retcon the end of 1 just to force this story. Beyond that its the same story as 1. Escape the lab you were dragged into via via Retconbot, except this time with more rogue AIs and 100% less mystery. And Potatos.

It is on a newer version of source so got me there? Portal 1 was totally solid, so this doesn't matter at all.

Well, they did add stuff to the puzzles, so this is true. Too bad it didn't matter since answers to puzzles were terribly obvious.

Added years after the fact

Just like every Valve game ever including Portal 1.

sucked. They replaced funny dark humor with camp and "hahaha Brittish accent! SO RaNdUMB!"

That is one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is nothing in Portal 2 was quotable or interesting.

There is not much to talk about. The game is style over substance, the second is shit for single player. I barely feel that they wanted to show off a good game with challenge and difficulty and instead wanted to make an INTERACTIVE STORY™ and it shows because there are very few games I would not even replay to 100% completion and Portal was one of those games. It should have had harder puzzles and whatnot. I hate to shill for another game but I think while pretty much being Portal:Magnets and edgy aliens edition, Magrunner Dark Pulse was a much better FPPuzzle game. And so was antichamber.

No, TF2 was filled with black humor, satire, and slapstick

Oh, my bad, I had though off-color and black were the same thing.

Humour in TF2 doesn't really matter that much because it's a multi-player game. That means that you as a player make humorous situations. That's actually one of the many things I miss from the games like TF2, CS:S/CSv1.6 and others - players weren't expecting the developer to entertain them with different tools that just make you play the game a little longer, players were entertaining themselves with different situations they were coming up and with different maps and game modes they made.

have you already forgotten?

Because most people on Holla Forums hate Amiibo/Skylanders/etc.

In all liklihood because PC gamers would find a way to circumvent using toy tags for character selection, which defeats the point of the game in various ways.

I thought the game was fun. Both games were just casual fun. I don't see the point in making it a hardcore puzzle game. I guess I just suck at doing puzzles and that's why.

Milo got stuck on the same part. -_-

what the fuck happened, then?

Not really sure. Most of the players don't want to do anything themselves now, I think. They just want to launch a game and expect the developer to inject fun into them. I believe that's why so many games now use Quick Play buttons instead of Server Browser.

Thanks for making it worth my while, user.

That is because it is a simple casual title like Super Mario Bros.
It isn't like Skyrim or Bioshock that have much complexity but no depth.

happy?

Making new and unique content is more time consuming than it used to be, now that you generally need to worry more about textures and realistic looks.

As for people dicking around in games, that still happens but a lot of people have a nofun mentality about that stuff because someone somewhere along the way told them playstyles they dont like are exploits.

pretty sure that's called banter

Maybe you're right, user.
But it's just so fucking sad that everything has to be soulless now.
I remember having more fun role-playing on a shitty map made out of nothing but blocks with misaligned textures in Half-Life 2: Deathmatch than I do now playing some "specifically designed for fun" game.

Don't fuck wit viper fam. He's the realest in the hiphop industry

There are some pretty weird album covers, man.

Every fucking time.

Name a portal 1 test chamber which could even be considered a puzzle, yet alone substantiate the claim that Portal 1 had "factually" harder ones.

Was figuring out where to put the portal ever a challenge to begin with?

I swear people who keep saying this shit just make themselves sound like dumbasses for claiming that any part of Portal 1 was puzzling.

The game had nothing to offer except basic portal use, and energy spheres, which are actually an easier version of thermal discouragement beams since they didn't require constant use of cubes/portals to maintain/disrupt.

I don't see a difference apart from visually different portals and a different crosshair. Or was he just talking about a visual downgrade?

Visual.

Huh, nothing out of the ordinary then. Given that everything else looks like the shipped version, chances are that this is a mod of some sort and he was just talking out of his ass though.

remember the humanized robots?

And you are defending this shit, why?

These guys?
I think Valve expected these guys to be far more popular characters than they ended up being.

Yeah, a girl made them to looked like albinos, did the artisit started a shirtstorm on tumblr?

My friend, is English your second language? I'm not entirely sure what you're attempting to convey.

….no…..

Because it was extremely overhyped gimmicky shit. Would literally be one item in Zelda and one dungeon and then maybe used three more times in the rest of the game. Guess what, it literally was ONE item and ONE dungeon in Darksiders which is a Zelda clone.

Portal 2 was pure dog shit of boring, ugly corridors instead of doing something with the story (lore).

Could you reword it, then? Because I honestly couldn't tell what you were trying to say.

Because unlike Portal 1, Portal 2 takes the necessary step of having harder puzzles by actually having puzzles in it to begin with. And seeing morons claim otherwise due to something as trivial as portal placements being marked gets very tiresome after the nth fucking time.

Incidentally I'm not even confirming whether portal places were marked, I honestly never noticed that shit because of how obvious it is where the portals have to be placed to begin with.

The challenge isn't in that, it was in the new gameplay mechanics, with enough varying uses and applications (light bridges for example could be used as a means of crossing a gap, a turret block, or a means to block velocity of either yourself or a cube) to introduce some actual puzzles to figuring out how each element needed to be used in a given scenario. Even in the easy single player story mode there was at least some time needed to figure out how to utilise the assets present in the later test chambers, unlike in Portal 1 where you would instantaneously see the solution because there was nothing to the game except variations of the same flinging technique over and over.

Hell look at the emancipation fields, Portal 1 never used them for anything other than a barrier to stop the player from taking items and portals from one area to another, Portal 2 was the game that actually took the step to using them as a puzzle mechanic.

You are full of shit, user.

Don't worry user, you're far from the first person I've had this argument with who has proven to have absolutely nothing of substance to say.

How about you just answer the question I had posed to you?

Say something of substance and maybe I will give a substantial response. Your entire argument is a contrarian fabrication.

Alright.
All of them, you fucking dumb shit.

So you're saying the very first test chamber, which consist of just a cube and a button, which Glados tells you how to solve and is literally the same as Portal 2's first test chamber, is not only a puzzle, but harder than anything Portal 2 had to offer?

whoop dee fucking do

Because the terrible nature of the faggots that latched onto it make all discussion around it pointless. Some faggots make the mistake of thinking this makes the game itself bad which is, of course, bullshit (while Valve did patch in some shit related to Portal 2 it was all pretty minor).

Even if that wasn't the case there isn't much to discuss. The original game was good because it relied on vaguely implying a deeper background and showing rather than telling. The sequel took the opposite route and it suffered for it.