Dark Souls 2?

After beating 3 for the fifth time, I decided to load up Scholar for the first time. Besides Iron Keep being Castlevaina/ Ninja Gaiden hardcore, I had fun, just starting the DLC's.

I think each game in the series has a lot of negatives and positives, but throwing it all at Dark Souls 2 is a little much. What is Bloodbornes biggest gripes?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!VUABTADa
mega.nz/#!tJ4TBASL
mega.nz/#!gA5kFJCB
mega.nz/#!tc5HkAbS
mega.nz/#!5ERV3Cxb
mega.nz/#!VUABTADa!JlOKrjfLrlSNxXjxtgdmNgZ9zJXusETsMpipKNOxVVg
mega.nz/#!tJ4TBASL!97Kk7shlK33HFTgNRF1I3huHjomt6By3sfEkykSESr0
mega.nz/#!gA5kFJCB!mI_c89BsKblQDMBViq820Xy5bceOl5JaR9V1LFh-2Z4
mega.nz/#!tc5HkAbS!HdK8Z_yoVtKuF_9vSzmYKpZ0BzQ5AC5byh3-sKW1Iug
mega.nz/#!5ERV3Cxb!3S7EzG7SzcDpkAnNsQfhxvX25Nsg2Y2P3OgzZRpsqac
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What?

DS2 had fantastic ideas, like actual punishments for dying such as your lifebar shortening and the enemies going extinct unless you raise the difficulty of the area even more. The problem was too many gimmicky fights and the areas felt disconnected as shit

I honestly cant play this game anymore. The pivoting enemies with infinite stamina are just unbearable.
Rolling in DS2 is about abusing iframes and not actual positioning.

Content was really not up to snuff. By reinventing the whole system, they created a situation akin to having a DaS game where you only ever loot light armor, one handed melee weapons, parrying shields, titanite and humanities. The bosses didn't even bring unique items/abilities, which you'll notice being a staple since demon's. In short, it was a fresh spin-off with a lot of good new ideas, but all the effort that went into level design left the items/equipment barebones as hell. It ultimately felt like it was released one year too soon for muh PS4 lineup.

DLC fixed a lot of it, but then again DLC is always the best part.

PvP is fucking busted. Like, completely, it shouldn't be there at all.
PvP got fixed and is now decent assuming you don't sit on amerilard-tier connection, but everything else got kinda nickel and dimed in the process for some fucking reason. Not as bad as priest paints the devil, but still not top notch.
A bad attempt at reskinning Bloodborne to look like Dark Souls with a shitton of reused content down to ripping sprites and textures from DaS2. Final bossfight is a fucking insult in this regard.
PvP is also completely broken, FROM openly refuses to fix bugs and such.

In short, 1 was the best singleplayer experience, 2 was the best multiplayer experience and 3 falls flat between those two.

Demon Souls doesn't get counted because it is technically different series, but for all intents and purposes we should consider it beta version of DaS.

The scholar version of Iron Keep has everything existing in it bum ruah the shit out of you and the dudes look like ninjas.

This ice level area for one of the DLC's is amazing, comfy as fuck.

Thats not ice, its ash

Nah, the whole level is Snow designed. Ash everything is Dark Souls 3.

Fuck those deer jesus christ

Ivory King DLC actually has snow, you're thinking of Brume tower.

Ash wasn't really a thing till DaS3

Bloodborne was the most fun souls game. The last fight with gernheim was great

I dont seem to be really having a problem with them? just be aware and dont auto target them.

Scholar makes some of the dull and ugly, multiple-playthrough enthusiasm killer areas like earthen peak more interesting, that's for sure.

Brightshit cove and iron keep still make me not want to bother when all I really wanna do is run through shulva and eleum loyce again. brume tower sucks

I've made a mistake of going through DLCs for the first time solo with my STR CoC character in NG+
That was fucking horrible until i figured out in which direction to sprint to avoid them at all.

Why did they have to make Dark Souls 3 focus on such shitty atmosphere. They should have done a whole frozen world, made it be based on what happens after the age of fire.

But Dark Souls lore in general is a joke. Fans should force the company to make an official timeline lile Zelda.

I was really excited at first when I heard about the Ivory King setting.
Huge disappointment in the end. Traversing the wall is absolute ass, you're literally forced to run in circles, and the snow looks terrible, probably due to engine limitations.
It's only redeeming parts where those where you actually got off that God damned wall, like the two paths leading to the Loyce Knights.
Fortunately, Irithyll satisfied my craving for snowy city levels.

DS2 is shit. DS3 is shit. This was to be expected since DS1's success was largely a fluke.

care to elaborate on that, user?

What's there to elaborate?

Demon's Souls was a niche game. DS1 got popular because it did things in a way long thought forgotten by modern game design (i.e. not treating players like retards), people clamored for a PC port and that's when shit began to turn dire with the inception of LE HARDCORE DIFFICULTY OMG and memes and fight clubs.

What's the context for that picture?
Polite sage for off-topic.

Nah.
DaS2 is still ass.
Fortunately, Japanese developers still have enough presence of mind to at least make sure the gameplay is alright.

Sure, fine point, but are you implying that the game only became popular because of the shitty LE HARDCORE memes? Dark Souls has been pretty niche since the beginning, and only now with DaSIII has managed to amass a somewhat mainstream following. There's something like 60,000~ concurrent players on Steam at any given time, when before the first two games couldn't break 12,000~ concurrent players combined.

I don't know, user. I Google searched something (I don't remember what) and this image came up in the results so I snagged it.

First two Souls games were challenging due to your approaching of situations and obstacles, quick instadeath from falling from ledges and such. Both were excitingly fresh with winds of past difficulty of games and the stamina inclusion made you careful of your movements. It was good.

DaS2 dev team completely fell for their own "YOU WILL DIE" marketing may may and just added tons of FUCK YOU situations from beginning to end, mostly with having small enclosures or rooms filled with mob enemies who would all aggro at the same time, much more ambushes than in any other game in recent memory, muh more upped nigh unavoidale/poor hit detection stomping moves and grappling throws, a first completely broken weapon degradation speed if you went over 30 FPS, so many bonfires that you were better off just running past enemies to the next one and/or open a shortcut instead of progressing through fighting and exploration, tracking enemies out the ass and to top of my Two Minutes of Hate for this piece of shit, the least imaginative boss fights in recent "fantasy" gaming outside Dogma and the vast majority of enemies and bosses being some form of small or larger humanoid.

I played it, all right, completely, all DLCs to boot. I liked the first DLC, it was decent, but other than that even the short shitshow that DaS3 was felt like a breath of fresh air compared to this.

From Software was a well-known developer with a big library in 2009. They weren't household-name big, but anyone who plays games as a hobby should have known who they were. Demon's Souls was only "niche" at first because it was a JP-only release, like the second Shadow Tower.

You mean someone who plays PS/PS2 games exclusively.

They developed for the original Xbox also, had a few games on the Dreamcast too. So no.

At first I didn't understand why Holla Forums would shit on people like OnlyAfro for making dank meme videos but now I do. Popular memes attract too many outsiders to a community. DS2 was the beginning of the end because it allowed for easier access to fight clubs and generally more multiplayer activity, which were never the core of the series.

Consider pointing out any of those that are well-known.

Playing through Dark Souls at the moment and for the first time didn't just give up after Undead Burg.

Blightown is such a cunt of a place. It probably wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the second freaking level.

Right. I played a lot of PS2 and never heard of them before. I did play Chromehounds though but didn't associate the name From Software with anything.

I know From from Enchanted arms.

I hope they will do jrpgs again now that Dark Souls is over.

Metal Wolf Chaos, Otogi. Tenchu was a pretty well-known series as I recall and it got a 360 game. There's also Lost Kingdoms for the Gamecube.

The only one that rings a bell is Tenchu. So yeah, you're full of shit about mainstream recognition.

And here come the drones who hate something either cause

1.Its popular
2.You suck ass at the game
3."Holla Forums hates everything"

Dark Souls 2 is a good game, get the fuck over your shit. Its ass dumbass hipster as calling Zelda 2 the black sheep and bad.

I said every game in the series has its faults and no, Demon Souls wasnt a niche game, nor were fucking PS3 exclusives. I knew about Demon Souls when it was first announced and I am mostly a PC player. Also, blaming the PC audience is redundant cause it was the console faggots who started the whole "git gud" shit cause PC players were critizing their scared jap dark shit cow.

Fuck off already, go back to your cuckchan le reddit youtube faggot ass google shitshow.

Have you considered you just don't know that much about games?

Have you considered that you're full of shit with your little precious "no true scotsman" statement?

For me it's number 1. Whenever something becomes mainstream it goes to hell. But then I don't play online much.

Fuck off faggot.

I agree, but I also like to point out HOW it got famous to be very important. Dadk Souls had eceleb morons attach itself to it, and also lore faggots ruined it too.

Whatever, as you can see the thread started out great, then gook fuck losers come in and I AM THE TRUE Holla Forums XD XD THIS GAME IS SHIT SHIT SHIT.

Snow levels are still superior in any game.

Ebin scheme, Schlomo.

Thanks for the bump, kike.

Bait or lack of self-awareness?

Nice proxy, faggot. Also I'd like you to point me to any of those statements.

What ever happened to Enchanted Arms, anyway? I could've sworn it was available on PSN for some time, but now it's gone. Can't find any physical copies, and I haven't heard anything about emulation for it.

git gud was used mostly to avoid pointless discussions with the massive influx of people whining on threads because they wouldn't leave until they got some affirmation that it was the game fault and not them.

Not to mention whining wasn't the only way they ruined threads but there was also an endless stream of idiots complaining about the port and yes while it wasn't the best we didn't need several posts per thread pointing it out.

If you weren't a knee-jerk autist you would see the post two ones above yours , so I'll stand by that "lack of self-awareness" on your part also.

Also how the hell had you not heard of From Software if you were on Holla Forums pre-2009?

What question? I pointed you to the post I was trying to quote, there is nothing complicated here.

Are you fresh out of Reddit?

Dark Souls 2 was the only one i enjoyed

DS1 had dumb as fuck backtracking and then just turns to total shit halfway

DS3 was like they didnt even try

The whole franchise is mediocre, i hate how they add this rpg casual shit so the games get progressively easier and by the end you are raping everything just like any dumb generic button masher game

No, but it seems that you are. Putting words in my mouth and being caught on that ain't gonna help you any.

So, whats the deal with Froms obession with beserking monsters and armored dudes? is that all the boss selection they can come up with?

I was not quoting you and was never pretending to, I was quoting the post two above yours. Like I already said, three times now. You are an idiot if you are still having trouble understanding this.

I wonder what Souls games would be like with out stats.

it's cool to hate Dark Souls II because reasons

being a bandwagon faggotry is a cancer to Holla Forums and undermines its purpose

- being a

why does that nigger on the right have fucking camel toe

You are not the best of readers.

The same as the first few hours of the game, every fight would put you on edge

I admit that I had a different kind of fun in DaS2 and DaS1. In DaS1 the level design, the enemies and the bosses are amazing, but in DaS2 you can go faster, and I don't know, the fact that it was somewhat easier made it pleasant for me.

I want common core third world shitskins to leave. Thanks.

/thread, pretty much

Read a book nigga.

Well it was a 360 exclusive for while. But pretty much all JRPGs on the 360 were ported to PS3 because Japanese games don't sell on the Xbox and studios tried to recoup the costs.

But Enchanted arms sold pretty badly in the end and I think even From has forgotten about the game.

Wew.
That whole post just wew.
At least you gave me a better idea of what kind of person likes DaS2.

This. Sadly, it took until DaS 3 for me to realize this.
The only thing I like about Dark Souls now was Dark Souls 2's multiplayer, after all the patches. The rest of the series is shit, but it's different looking shit.

This too.

Yeah, leave it at this.
Fucking moron brit shits just got out of school.
Later faggots.

someone clearly with a higher iq than you

More like someone who you already agree with so you perception is warped due to your bias.
But I'm sure you view yourself as the incorruptible font of objectivity.

i'm genuinely convinced DS3 was made by C team

It has been confirmed that the BB team and DaS2 team aren't the same team.
But both teams were directed by Miya.
Basically it means that DaS3 isn't utter shit like DaS2 but only slightly less utter shit simply because Miya managed to partially mitigate the damage and tighten up a couple of screws during development, not enough to save the whole package but enough not to let it come out as liquid shit.

but it's not, you're just a filthy guide user with master key

Why do underagefags always add a question mark at the end of statements?

It's from the movie Funky Forest

He ended it with a question mark to imply a response from the previous user as why they had trouble with "fucking deer". Try and keep up oldfag.

Never looked at a guide, and never played the Depths until I did and read about a boss called the gaping dragon.
That was after several playthroughs, all with master key because other then old witch ring why would you use anything else?

I always pick the master key, its just commen sense.

I tried playing this shit already but I gave up.
I'm thinking of giving it another chance.
Should I go for regular DS2 plus DLCs, or just get Scholars of the first shit?

I tried so hard to like DaS2, but it feels like a chinese knockoff of Dark Souls. The animations are shitty, the lighting and environments looks cheap, even the controls are janky. SotFS made some improvements like placing the Dull Ember much earlier, but at the same time they added MORE ambushes, MORE mob enemies, MORE statues blocking progression.

Just a shittier product all around, DLC or no.

Reposting.
Bloodborne_Official_Artworks.rar189.1 MB
mega.nz/#!VUABTADa
dark souls 2 design works.rar244.9 MB
mega.nz/#!tJ4TBASL
DARK_SOULS__8545_-_Artbook.pdf25.6 MB
mega.nz/#!gA5kFJCB
Dark_Souls_Design_Works.rar163.6 MB
mega.nz/#!tc5HkAbS
Demon_39_s_Souls_Official_Art_collection.7z145.8 MB
mega.nz/#!5ERV3Cxb

Guess what game this art from?

Wowzers

Shitfuck.
Bloodborne_Official_Artworks.rar189.1 MB
mega.nz/#!VUABTADa!JlOKrjfLrlSNxXjxtgdmNgZ9zJXusETsMpipKNOxVVg
dark souls 2 design works.rar244.9 MB
mega.nz/#!tJ4TBASL!97Kk7shlK33HFTgNRF1I3huHjomt6By3sfEkykSESr0
DARK_SOULS__8545_-_Artbook.pdf25.6 MB
mega.nz/#!gA5kFJCB!mI_c89BsKblQDMBViq820Xy5bceOl5JaR9V1LFh-2Z4
Dark_Souls_Design_Works.rar163.6 MB
mega.nz/#!tc5HkAbS!HdK8Z_yoVtKuF_9vSzmYKpZ0BzQ5AC5byh3-sKW1Iug
Demon_39_s_Souls_Official_Art_collection.7z145.8 MB
mega.nz/#!5ERV3Cxb!3S7EzG7SzcDpkAnNsQfhxvX25Nsg2Y2P3OgzZRpsqac

user please

I don't know what the original game was like, but I'm at Drangleic right now for Scholar of the First Sin and… it's okay. Not liquid shit like I've been hearing about, but definitely nowhere near as good as the first DS, and some of the choices they made here are beyond retarded. Who the hell decided to put a Hellkite Drake after a million stone soldiers, Heide Knights, and right before The Old Dragonslayer? Who decided that the Dragonslayer, Ruin Sentinels, Prowling Magus, Royal Rat Vanguard, and Covetous Demon would be even remotely interesting or good ideas? How the fuck is the Iron Keep surrounded by volcanoes and lava when it's literally above the Earthen Peak?

I should be more mad at this, but I suppose I can't look past what could have been if the designers were actually competent.

Random number god.

Has anyone actually died to that thing? Its essentially a giant maggot

He got me on my first try because I didn't expect the rolling attack to hit twice and I was low on health
The actual question is if anyone has ever died to Dragonrider. He does the same damage as any regular enemy and has more HP but is slower and way too predictable. Even the double Dragonrider fight was piss fucking easy.

oh fuck off. I am enjoying Dark Souls 1 right now and playing it while sometimes glancing at a guide. There are so many situations where you beat a boss/area etc and it looks like you are supposed to move on trough the closest door that just opened but in reality you should go back and do a different area if you don't want your shit absolutely kicked in a hundred times.

Just fucking trust me on this one: Drop that guide ASAP. Your first run has to be blind otherwise you're going to be missing on some very cool moments. At most just use a guide on your second run to figure out stuff you missed.

Time and space move strangely in Drangleic, Curse Bearer :^)

No, seriously, time and space are actually warped in this game. They started subtle with the Tower of Flame. You see it way, way off in the distance from town, but it's a super short walk through the sewers to get there. You see it again at the Keep and again in Amana.

But seriously, that probably pisses me off the most about this game, and the thing is that it could have easily made more sense (assuming that you were forced to keep the same areas). The Lost Bastille/Sinner's Rise should have been at the top of Earthen Peak, and the Pursuer's eagle/No Man's Wharf should have lead to an Iron Keep with slightly less lava and volcanoes everywhere. That last one especially makes sense considering how the Iron King is apparently some ruler over a completely different kingdom and land, so why the flaming fuck is he in Drangleic.

Realistically, it was probably just lazy game design. They came up with a bunch of cool zones, some probably left over from the previous games, and couldn't really find a good way to match them all up. For me, it added a surreal element that wasn't there in DaS. Sure, you see phantoms because of overlapping timelines and whatnot, but the dimensional weirdness of the world doesn't really show up otherwise.

As I can understand the game was supposed to have demons souls like arches and you was supposed to hunt kings. Which they kinda did in dlc. And in ds3. And basically same thing happen in ds3 in case of merging lands. Everything was just gathered together by hurr durr, but it looked better and therefore was okay.

I feel like I'm seeing this whole 'the idea that Dark Souls 2 is shit is just a meme' stuff pop up more and more often at the minute, yet nobody ever explains why it isn't.

Welcome to internet arguing, where you just call whatever the other side says a meme and call it a day.

I hated 2 because the levels were visually uninspired, super linear, had basically no significant verticality or loops back on themselves, and way too many enemies and bosses were bland looking soldiers in rags and/or rusty armor with the same left-right-down three swing combo.

From what I played so far, it's because while it does take two steps backwards in many regards, it also makes a few improvements like with hollowing, the covenants, and general organization, and also tried to do some new things with various degrees of success like Pharros Contraptions, Bonfire Intensity, lighting, and so on. DSII attempted to try new things, and while many weren't successful, at least it tried. Dark Souls III played it as safe as humanly possible, recycling as many ideas as possible from the previous games, and still managed to bungle that and even went backwards on some of the very few things II actually improved upon. I can at least say for a crappy game that tried to do something new that at least it tried to be apart from the others, but a product which is as safe as possible really needs to step it up.

I don't really agree. DaS2's rendition of Blighttown was more interesting than the original. Amana, the Ash Lake parallel, was just as good visually, even if the level itself was fucking awful to play through. Heide's tower was fine, Majulah was fine. There may have been too many/too much forest area. You're right about them not being geometrically interesting, which could be blamed on the abundance of bonfires making intrazone shortcuts redundant. The game was definitely not great, but being a little worse than a really good game (DaS) still makes it ok.

I didn't find Amana or Majula visually interesting, Majula was just a big open plane with a couple tiny houses of which the only one you ever really saw or cared about was the blacksmith's hut and Amana had a couple okay looking fluorescent things at the start if I recall correctly but you spend most of your time there staring at the ground to make sure you don't trip on a lizardman or fall off an edge.

3 really does feel like they are playing it far too safe. I can't tell you how hard I groaned when I heard Gywn theme play in the 2nd phase of Cinder Lord. I really liked that dragon area as it was something new for once, then Havel and the DeS Knight invaded. And I do agree that 2 brought in some good improvements, power stancing was great and its a shame that its kind of missing from 3 and tried to do something different from DaS, even if it did fail at most of the shit it tried. Also was I the only one bothered by the amount of two phase fights there are in 3?

Generally poor quality and few fuckups. Many things looked like a fucking placeholder. Dark areas was bright as fuck. Everything was gray. Story was fucked, no one tells you everything and every sentence ends up "perhaps… who knows… everyone forgot…". No one tells you anything directly.
Basically whole story of ds2 boils down to breaking the curse of the undead. There are scientist who work on firekeeper project who breed a half dragon firekeeper who failed or something. And some working on keeping age of fire going. Basically with of Izalith was zero attempt at linking the 1st flame. Gwyn was 1st attempt. And player in ds1 was 2nd. In ds2 they worked at perfecting the process and we have thrones and lords. And in dlc player successfully breaks curse part of the curse of the undead and in 3rd part hollowing is not 100% fate of the undead. Basically everything that happen in ds2 is beta version of everything in ds3. As I posted earlier >>9355448 they even used exactly same things. But in ds3 everyone directly tells you what happening most of the time and not "perhaps.. who knows… whatever…"
As I said earlier DS3 does exactly same things in many aspects as ds2 but general quality is better. For example ds2 had durability on weapons which decreases during fights and it was good idea. But it was made in most fucked way possible. It decreases at 2x speed(because of bug becaue of 60 fps) and you can break fucking weapon in 5 fucking hits.

Sometimes the two phase fights were cool like with the Abyss Watchers and the princes, but making literally every boss a multi phase fight was idiotic and most of the time brought next to nothing to the table and were pointless.
It's another side effect of trying to combine every aspect of the previous games in the series, as Miyazaki went "Oh, people liked the multi stage boss fights in Bloodborne, let's do that for everything", not realizing that a lot of those fights like Ludwig, Gascoigne, Amygdala, Logarius, and even shitty fights like Rom and Micolash changed it up significantly to the next phase or made attempts to do so at the very least.

I shudder to think what your definition of "difficult" is. You probably ragequit Yoshi's Island.

That is something that I think happened with modern AC games, especially the ones made by Miyazaki. AC4 had a fight against a bunch of fuck huge walking fortresses, and it was a nice change of pace from the various enemies in the game, and was a good deal less frustrating compared to the missions that had other more threatening enemies that weren't NPCs.ACfA then included a bunch of these fuck huge enemies. Thing is that a lot of them become more rote because it was more common and they didn't have much going for them from a gameplay perspective.

This is on top of them not improving the other enemies, not really adding more of them that I remember, and actually downgrading them by removing their primal armor.

I agree with all of those points. I remember the point I stopped trying to convince myself that I was enjoying it was when I first encountered those dogs in the Gutter whose hitboxes come out before their attack animations begin.

Animations in general were a big failure of DaS2, I thought. None of the enemies that were introduced in 2 looked like the animators had finished them. They were all so jumpy and cheap looking and had tons of motion blur slapped on top in an attempt to cover it up, but it just worsened the effect.

I appreciated power stancing a lot. It was a fun and interesting way to make dual wielding useful and one of the few new ideas it introduced that I thought it did well. I have felt in the past that it had all these neat ideas, like you said, but it just didn't execute them well.

Everything was really washed out, yeah. Aldia's Keep was the biggest offender for me, personally. That massive "dark" hallway where you were able to light up all these big torches felt very half-baked because the lighting was so terrible and you could see through it all anyway. That's without mentioning the other questionable design choices of that hallway alone, like having cyclopes entrapped in cages that they're easily capable of breaking out of if you shoot them, or having other cyclopes burst through walls to use that stupid grapple move to potentially 1 hit KO you without warning.

I wanted to like DaS2 so badly since I even got it for my birthday the year it came out, but I just couldn't.

Look at concept art. Look at fucking concept art. Game was supposed to look like this.

It's definitely one of those games that could have been really good if they had given it more time. It looked pretty great pre-downgrade, especially Aldia's Keep.

I've been wanting to revisit it lately to see for myself if it's as bad as I remember or if I'd have warmed up to it by now. I started another playthrough of Demon's recently and still like it just as much as I did in 2010 when I first got it. I didn't even bother getting far enough into DaS2 to find that PvE covenant that has you fight the Darklurker at the end or the 'memories' sections, although I do remember beating the Throne Watcher/Defender.

At least it had a lot of content, I guess. The dedicated covenant-specific PVP arenas were a pretty cool feature and cutting through invaders with the Old Whip in the Belfry Luna is some of the most fun I've had with the series, although soul memory was horrible.

Yoshi's Island sucks ass anyways.

DS2 is not lacking good things, it has too much bat things.

bad*

I think I'm at the part were I fight was Vederick. That's as far I got.

It really doesn't matter. Get whatever is cheaper. Scholar changes basically nothing of relevance.

The only good thing about Dark Souls 2 is that it has the best intro of the series