Was this the most disappointing gaming related experience of all time?

Was this the most disappointing gaming related experience of all time?

warlords of draenor
even pandaria and cataclysm had more fun and content and were redeemable

your mother

When I found out that DiMa's Nick Valentine's brother, the ending to the DLC is to flood Far Harbor or not, kill DiMa, or nuke the Children of Atom. Red Death is a special mirelurk that does nothing.

Crysis 2

To see something great turned into the extreme opposite after all those years of hype, thats shit was just brutal

Its no wonder the FPS genre is dead when developers will waste 5 years and hundreds of millions to downgrade and make a game worse, what the fuck

Spore.
Phantom Pain is just MGS2 all over again.

I don't know about all time, but Fable 2 was the first time hype my hype let me down in a big way.

It wasn't even a bad game, it was just a lesser game in EVERY aspect. I had grown so used to the idea that video games only got better that I was caught off guard.

Never really allowed myself to get super hyped after that.

Not even fucking close.

Phantom Pain was amazing and the greatest gameplay the series has ever seen. You can only say its a disappointment if you only play the MGS series for the story.

I'm not 100% sure, but i know for a fact that they did it.

MGSV wasn't actually a bad game, despite its story being left botched and unfinished and the multiplayer being a pay-to-win mess.

This and Diablo 3.

What the fuck did you expect of Modern Warfare? Didnt you play 2?

Either supreme commander 2 or Star Ruler 2. Both were reliable AA devs who hadn't been the victim of an aggressive takeover or a co opting from within. Both clearly had some great ideas and a proven track record for making great games, neither had shown any penchant whatsoever for misguidance. Both made horribly bland uninteresting games that were devoid of any of the things which were good about their previous releases. Where did it all go so wrong? How did this happen? Why did it happen?

Spore.

THAT DOES NOT EXIST

Non shit multiplayer. 2 I could have written off a a misstep and I half expected them to learn from their mistakes and return to something like 1/UO (at the very least re-add vehicles). Indeed moving away from WW2 alone boosted my expectations.

2's MP was ass. The SP was superior to 4's since it wasn't only either tightly scripted setpieces or infinitely respawning enemies.

You don't know pain.

The single saddest day of my life was playing that garbage game. I beat it on the "realistic" difficulty too, just because I thought maybe, just MAYBE, it would force me to be stealthy. But it was the opposite, I had to go out of my way to be stealthy. Hell there was even a moment or two where I was forced to go through action movie bullshit. I fucking hate video games.

Did you forget about the iraq/iran/Afghanistan/whatever it was level

I'm still fucking mad.

WHO MAKES A SPLINTER CELL GAME WHERE YOU CAN'T EVEN MOVE FUCKING BODIES?

I honestly forgot, probably because it was so awful I tried to erase it from my mind.

I'd say the top of 2015, in part because of how hyped the game was (see Holla Forums posters "I'll never play another video game again" meme) and partly because of how the momentum after chapter 1 just dies. Even having mission 51 wouldn't have fixed the game.

God damnit that shit still hurts.

How was that disappointing? MP was unbalanced in some regards but as a whole package it was a decent game. If you were expecting a lot from a military shooter then that's your problem.

Are you talking about FOBs or MGO? I can see FOB being called p2w because of stupid development length for high tier equipment, but MGO is fairly straightforward if horribly unbalanced and shallow in content.

I expected a game at least as good as CoD1/UO, not unreasonable in any way. I got a consolised pile of shit that everyone claimed to be the greatest thing ever made. To add insult to injury the game's popularity is responsible for the persistent unlock bullshittery forced into every game nowadays instead of actual fucking content. True it wasn't the first game to use such a system but it was easily the most popular (outside of WoW's skinner box anyway).

It was the most dissapointing game ever. We all were like, man this game has to have a great story. Then, what happened? Kojima decided to put a song in the trailers to fool us this game is deep or something and he left us naked while he was there laughing at us. I won't ever forgive kojima for this and I hope he dies in a painful way.

Honestly, Undertale. I wanted a fun little game and the game just got so much bigger than what it deserved. It makes me mad because there are elements about the game I like, but faggots have made me unable to admit it or discuss it and forced me to relegate the game to a guilty pleasure.

Kojima made trailers that were too good. There was also flat out lies from the developers when they knew the state of the game and how it would be when it was released. Then we hyped ourselves up to infinity.

All of that combined lead to massive expectations that I think even if Kojima had unlimited money and time, would still not deliver. I feel for the most part, the game we got was what we would always get, Konami bullshit or not. Perhaps only mission 51 was cut or perhaps whole new maps and chapters. We may never truly know.

I remember reading that Kojima got depressed when he saw what Rockstar did with GTA V. Even back then, a full two years before MGS V landed, he felt his game fell short. So perhaps the open world back then was still just as barren.

I still love the game though. Best gameplay in the series with a painfully hollow and unfinished story.

From recent years? No. I'd put Fez, Ni no Kuni, RE Revelations (some faggots actually called it 'return to greatness' jesus christ), Witcher 3, ME 3, any CoD after MW, Battlefield 3…

Since 2007 it's been mostly disappointments with a few glad surprises in the mix.

But thats not Spore

What games don't have that retarded sytem minus Counter-Strike & RO1 and what do you mean by 'actual fucking content'.

Also nigga what do you mean 1 and UO like regenerating health. I didn't play that so what are features were there.

The first two weeks after launch were fucking hilarious in the general, and then it all went downhill from there

Also pic related might not have been the worst disappointment, but it hit hard.

Call of duty 1 didn't have regenerating health, you picked up medkits.

He means the first Modern Warfare

You owe it to yourself not to give others such power.

Anyway, for me the biggest crash the hype train ever had was Devil May Cry 2. The one time I actually wanted nothing more than a cookie cutter Capcom expansion pack of a sequel that hardly changed anything, because they nailed it so hard the first time I just wanted more of that, they had to actually change stuff up. For the vastly worse.

I've never truly boarded the hype train for any game since then.

Fallout 3 was extremely fun.

Any FPS made pre-2007? How fucking old even are you?

Even those that did have it like, say, BF2 had it in a minor fashion.

'Actual fucking content' means entertaining gameplay etc rather than playing merely to see your digital badge and xp counter go up.

1 and UO's multiplayer is a different world entirely to even that of CoD 2. Bigger maps which also aren't merely corridor arenas, better gametypes, fucking vehicles and guns linked to what team you're playing rather than how long you've been playing spring to mind but to really understand you'd have to have played them with an active community. A proper TTK and no regenerating health was also good. Dedicated servers existed but obviously some later CoDs have these too.

That much is clear.

If you were a child who enjoys sightseeing in a fake world with poor gunplay.

If you actually enjoy fucking role playing in your RPGs it was terrible.

At times, sort of. The gunplay was awful, the dialogue was terrible and the graphics were fucking embarrassing for a game released one year after Crysis and Portal.
Pic related, it's me right now.

Conviction is probably up there with Other M in my mind as the biggest fuckups of their respective franchises.

Conviction took a heavy stealth sim series and turned it into a generic run and gun with stealth elements, while simultaneously turning Fisher into some sort of generic hollywood badass who is somehow serious business on a global scale, despite just being one of many NSA operatives in previous games.

Other M was a travesty that raped the hell out of Samus' characterization, and while the gameplay wasn't bad, the storyline and justifications for why Samus did certain things were incredibly weak and arbitrary, to say nothing of the hamfisted mother symbolism they tossed in out of nowhere.

It wasn't bad, it was awful.

Not even Gothic 3 and Skyrim were this painful to me. Back then I had at least my intuition telling me that something's gonna be wrong with those games. But this time it failed me and I'm still so fucking mad.

S ranked every mission.
I love games where I could do that.
I got every damn animal including that god damn turtle.
181 hours played.
Most fun I had all year last year.

For me, yes, it was the most disappointing gaming related experience of all time.
Not a terrible game, it is simply the Cecelia Pegasus of videogames.
It wasn't buyers remorse.
I loved it and feel I got more than my money's worth.
It wasn't a lesser game compared to the others in the series, it was almost an entirely different game and an incredibly polished one at that.
But it wasn't finished.
Before this the only thing that made me feel the same pain was Fable 3 because you could see all the content they intended, but cut because of deadlines.

Game could have ended at Ghostface honestly and I'd have clapped my 'mercan hands together and said "good game", but it didn't do that.
There was an Act 2 and it (and by large the game itself) didn't end with a boss fight.
The game ends with you shooting a bunch of nameless ruskie tanks and shit in the middle of nowhere.

It is like if Ocarina of Time ended after the 3rd temple.

Fable was the first and last game I ever pre-ordered.

No one wants to know what you put in your mouth

Doom 3, personally. I don't know why I had hope for it even thought most of the original team wasn't there besides for Carmack.

Pretty sure he's saying he's knowingly responding to bait.

Fucking Fable 3.

Basically everything that made Fable 2 mediocre was turned up 1000% in Fable 3.

Consoles killed Crysis and Crytek.

Trying to chase those CoD bucks.

Yeah but at least MGS2 had a satisfying ending, at least it had an ending at all.

And memorable boss battles, MCs with personalities and that were relatable (they spoke more than 3 lines), non casualized gameplay, no filler and good writing.

What's up Spoony.

pretty sure Spoony hates 9 more than 8.

Spoony hates the ninth game WAY more than the eighth.

At least MGS2 made more interesting points about language and society than a game ostensible all about language.

How's Blacklist?

Blacklist was a big step in the right direction but it's still carrying around a ton of baggage from Conviction
Stealth is encouraged and rewarded by giving the player more points to upgrade their shit and there's a lot of shit to upgrade. Lots of gadgets, uniform bits, and guns to suit however you want to play. Levels are much more open and you have a lot of freedom as to what path you take to the objective.
At the same time, there's still the mark and execute crap though I think it's disabled on higher difficulties, and there's a fucking FPS segment in one of the missions. They couldn't get Ironsides back for another game so Sam has a new VA. Why they didn't just retire the character and just make the black dude the MC is beyond me.
I wouldn't call it good but it does show that they're trying to make things more like the older games

It was the best disappointment of all time at least.

ace combat 7 for me

for me it was probably MVC3

mgsv was painful, but i still enjoyed my initial playthrough and spent a decent amount of time messing around with it

recently, uncharted 4 blew my mind with how boring it was, and i went into it with a bad attitude

I know shit like Quake and UT and other fast games but I mean like team games. Maybe I'm too specific and this question is retarded. Thank you anyway old man. Also are some CoD 1 servers still alive/

You mean Assault Horizon.

Nothing will ever be as soul crushing bad as Brink.

Well, like a little autistic faggot I bought a Nintendo Player's Guide along with my copy of Pokemon Snap, so I had the entire fucking game beaten in 4 or 5 hours and just felt like shit after. But it was awesome while it lasted.

well i've been calling it that for years now, hard to get it out of my head and who knows the ACTUAL ace combat 7 may make me or break me. hard to tell.

In recent memory? Yes

But there have been far more, on the same level or worse than TPP

I do admit though, I sat awake in bed for months wondering where it all went so wrong, even before Konami stepped in and fucked everything up, they only got that far in making the game? 4 years into development and the story wasn't even half done? What the fuck were koji and friends doing in all that time? Taking turns on Joosten?

You can delete games from your library if you really want to. I've deleted some garbage in the past.

To be fair there are a laundry list of game IP's that will never be good again.

thats my point though, yah TPP was massively disappointing, but so have tons of other things, and so will many more things to come, accepting that is the first step.

the cycle will continue

Half agree, half disagree.

The main flaws being that it sort of gets boring after a while due to a lack of variety of side ops in the second half, a huge world with barely anything cool in it, and practically no boss fights

Fuck so many games of my youth were raped.

Man you bastards did it again, you made me hate modern videogames and I don't own anything than a 5 year old ps2.

I keep wanting to make a gaming computer but every time I come to this fucking place I just see reason after reason not to.

After playing Gothic the first and second, open world RPGs that haven't really been matched in quality to this day, I bought Gothic 3 on release date. It still makes me sad when I think about it.

That show went to such shit after Maximilian died.

My point exactly when thinking about it
Konami is at fault as much as Kojima, but at least Konami didn't brag about it and took Notch Periods and posted them on Twitter

the wii

honorable mentions would be:
hellgate london
diablo 3
mass effect
ea turning blackbox into another kusoge mill
NoA's censorship crusade

you're doing it wrong

MGS V was the best game in the series in terms of gameplay.
That's what made it sting even more, it plays like a dream but everything else is so unpolished and unfinished.

I'm glad to see we haven't forgotten.

Not sure what the current one is but I can tell you this Star Citizen is gonna go far and above all of those.

I will never forget.

Star Citizen looks like ass so far though.

It's not a terrible game, but it was a let down. Right up there with Spore and the Legend of Korra game

That's the thing, it has a bigger dev budget than most AAA games.

And that's how pirates are born.

For me it was Bioshock Infinite. My expectations for Phantom Pain were already lowered considerably even when I did pick it up, and it turned out to be exactly what I thought it would be: a disappointment.

Bioshock Infinite, on the other hand, I had hopes for and thought it would be as decent as Bioshock 1 and 2. Boy, was I horribly fucking wrong.

Fuck Ken Levine. If that's the one thing I've taken from my experience with Infinite it's that I fucking hate Ken Levine.

It's your own fucking fault for buying 3 after how bad 2 was. Also it was extremely kek to learn recently that the project lead was an insane feminist lunatic that wanted to put a black woman on the cover, was told to fuck off and then chimped out and probably got the studio killed huehuehuehue