Gamebryo engine

Can someone explain to me why Bethesda sucks at using the Gamebryo? Modders, indie devs and even other companies and devs use their own game engine better than they do.

Why do they use it when UE3 and 4 are so cheap?

They're incompetent devs and Gamebryo is their crutch.

Because then they would have no excuse.

Gamebryo isn't their engine.
Other than that, the only real reason is because they suck and mostly because they don't want to make further changes to the fork they developed to streamlined content creation for the cookie-cutter games they have been making for over a decade now (with two different franchises since FO3).
I'm always amazed by how badly their version/fork of the engine handles model-terrain collision.

Because that would take a shit load of work. The engine they are currently using makes filling the game with shit easy and fast, picking a new engine would demand years of work and you can't have that, let's shove in some fancy light and particle effects on top and call it a day.

Pride and laziness.

Who cares? It's a versatile engine for moders.

Because they've put a lot of time and money into it in their incompetence, and their investors wouldn't be happy if they did something like admit they had made a mistake and had to trash all that time and money for a new engine.

Every modern engine can be "versatile" for modders. Do you even know shit about game design?
Gamebryo is only versatile because the fork Bethesda made to make development fast and simple so they could shit out games more quickly lends itself to modding. The same game development scheme on a different engine would have the same results as long as they provide the tools to make shit even more simple for modders. Hell, if they provided better tools, the mods would be even more interesting.

Gamebryo is free to use like the Unity engine.

At least Beth games are easy to pirate

jej

Bethesda did not make gamebryo, they just gave it a bad reputation.

Bethesda is shit. All the redditors that defend it are autistic kids and autistic adults. Gamebryo was never good. OpenMW exists for a reason

Gamebryo is shit. It only worked well in Civ4 because a game like this doesn't need physics.

They enough about it to restrict its modding capability like they did with Skyrim. Otherwise it would mean that they're so fucking incompetent that they fucked up not just Skyrim but also the future of the game through mods. Now that wouldn't be a shocker.

With how necessary Script Extenders are for modders to even script functions, it means Bethesda either purposefully restricts the script language to prevent modding, or they are so incompetent they don't realize that having more language features lets them make a better game easier. I'm gonna go with both column A and B.

Bethesda doesn't make the game with SDK we use. They are preventing modders from doing too much shit. Animations are harder to mod since Skyrim and I'm sure we will find some other limitation on FO4, haven't bother to check as I won't pirate that shit until it gets fully modded to acceptable levels (and only because there is no competition for what Bethesda does).

They're incompetent as fuck. They can't even animate shit properly and refuses to put in ladders cause "the game engine can't handle it" or something. Just some bullshit excuse.

This too. It would take time and money for them to license a new engine or modify the id Tech they currently have to use it for games like Skyrim and Fallout 4. Those games sell well with an engine made in 2001, so you might as well give those engines a very slight upgrade and continue to use that so you don't have to pay for training and research for a new engine.

I am currently playing fallout 3 and want to kill 2 raiders while they sleep, but they take forever to sleep on their own, so i was wondering if there was a way to change their package to "sleep" in the gamebryo, could you please help me out just this once?

You know what angers me? Fallout games sell 15 million copies. And yet Bethesda STILL pretends that they are some small niché game dev with a staff of 50 like Falcom (they wish-Falcom actually makes good games).

They have the money to develop a decent engine.
Konami could do it. So can Bethesda.

Gotta keep profit margins high by spending as little money as possible on the game, then spend the rest on marketing.

A bunch of reasons. The biggest being that Gamebryo is really easy to optimize and because their particular version of the engine is designed to specifically allow for copypasting lots of content really quickly.

If you've ever tried to make a mod in a TES/Fallout game the first thing you'll notice is all of the tutorials put lots of emphasis on copy/pasting. Like almost all house tutorials are just "take a pre-existing house, copy/paste" that's most of Bethesda's content in a nutshell.

Something like UE4 is much better for more personalized designed stuff. They'd need to recode a huge amount of the engine from scratch and I'm 100% certain they don't want to do that. Additionally they also want to make it as moddable as the previous games without suffering a lot of the same problems that other devs have with releasing sdks (IE: They have to recode entire parts of the engine because of the particular physics middleware that they don't have a license to, etc).

Make no mistake about it if Bethesda announced "we're changing engines" I'd be more skeptical than anything else. Because the first thing I'd expect is throwing out mod support, or replacing it entirely with an overly simple nuDoom-esque snapmap.

Yeah I guess as long as their games sell they don't have to change anything.

After Skyrim I decided to never buy a Beth game ever again untill something changes.

well, of course if bethesda hired the best modders they could produce a superior product, in theory

but those modders probably don't want to make the pablum bethesda wants to sell, so it's way easier to just steal mods from older games and kinda rewrite them so you dont have to give credit

when semiskilled employees do this shit breaks a lot

Bethesda is social security for talentless hacks.

They do not know how to make video games, user.
They've been winging it for the past decade.

Because beth's fork isn't based off gamebryo. It's based of its predecessor, netimmerse.