What killed the TF2

What was it, Holla Forums? What was the final blow? The final nail in the coffin? When did the community finally go to complete shit.

While modding is cool and all I feel the ability for bronies and furfags to create a safe space for themselves kinda is what drove everyone away. After the autists couldn't keep to their servers and felt everyone wanted to be exposed to such debauchery and sin all I saw for months was pony and furry horseshit.

It's calmed down, now, but there are still far more faggots than before. Too bad too since I really liked the game when it wasn't f2p (which was the first sign everything was going to shit).

F2P

Conga lines

Not only is it F2P, which in itself is fine, it can run on fucking laptops, causing shitloads of normal fags and kids to flood into it. Also I don't see how a game with a bunch of unbalanced classes is fun anyways

The Ice Age!

I stopped playing shortly after the F2P. The servers I frequented on were overrun by kids and pony autists.Most of the community either scrambled across multiple servers or simply left. For me the fun in the game was the community, so I left too.

Where did you end up? I went back to Diablo II for a while and then got back on counter strike.

Basically, Holla Forums died out.

Or rather, Holla Forums's presence in the game died out.

I still have fun with it, I just avoid the fur/pony faggotry.
I don't talk to anyone because I'm autistic so >muh community doesnt bother me

Hats where the decline of the game

This. F2P is the death knell of any online game.

Sniper v Spy and War! updates made people accept shitty weapons that destroyed any idea of a concrete class identity like the Huntsman, Targe + Eyelander, and Amby.
Mannconomy did even more of the same sort of damage and introduced the cancerous marketplace.
No need to explain F2P's impact.
Then when quick-play was introduced it made community dedicated servers die out due to less pubbies joining them; only the ones with larger dedicated userbases like Skial or Furry Pound still exist.
By the time the dancing and other co-op taunts were introduced, it was already too late - the game created in 2007 was no longer with us.

It was a series of changes that turned the game to shit.

Not quite, it's when they took the Polycount update and the Trading update and mashed them up into some kind of "Mannconomy" that things really went to shit. They had no idea what they were doing.

>It's DEAD!!

Wow OP, maybe just don't like… play on Furfag servers or something? idk.
It's almost, like… there is a server browser and you can like, totally, choose where you want to play and stuff, whoa! right?
Totally, like… block those servers you think are crummy, c'yeah?

Maybe, like… you should totally grow out of this high school mentality of worrying about other peoples perceptions of you and stuff… and like… totally just do the things that you like, personally enjoy and stuff right?

What a waste of dubs.

Mann Co. store marked its death
F2P killed it
Conga shat on the grave

Anything beyond should be unknown, because you stopped playing, right?

0/10
(checked)
But these aren't a waste.

f2p was definitely the final blow. Before f2p, people already knew about the game due to all the videos using TF2 like remixes and gmods which established TF2 as a meme. Then came f2p which opened the floodgate to the curious masses. This shouldn't cause too much trouble aside from faggotry for a bit. What ended it was when the developers started pandering to them. They focused solely on hats, reskins, and unusuals and more recently, contracts.

From what I've seen in order:
-hats
-f2p
-trade economy
-performance drop
-reskins
-contracts

So keep the dumb, class-breaking weapons but make them less fun for dumb casual play. Good fucking luck with that.

Did you not pay attention, son? Do you not know how to listen? If you just want vanilla TF2 go play on a vanilla server, or the dead game that is TF2C.

TF2's weapons create sub-classes. The kritzkrieg makes the medic more focused on an aggressive role, the charge 'n targe makes the demo better at close range combat, and the huntsman makes the sniper into a mid-close range combat instead of mid-long.

If this upsets you, maggot, then maybe you should go do some pushups and GET A HAIRCUT.

No, it creates a jumbled mess of half-finished ideas and a lack of focus on solid class design. Putting quantity of quality, ignoring what made the base game actually good. Had they wanted to introduced different playstyles, they should have made more unique classes to actually compliment the existing ones rather than throwing whatever to the wall and seeing what stuck.
How much of a faggot does one have to be to type shit like this out?

Game stopped being fun after they kept adding redicious weapons that completely changed the way the game was played, got stale.

I played a LOT of competitive 6v6 and once they fucking around the balance + community wanted the broken weapons in the setting I just stopped having fun with the game. Then valve added the stupid matchmaking system and all the community pubs I enjoyed died off, even before then it was Thundercockmountian every time all the time.

LOVED the original game and first few class updates but Sandman showed up it was the beginning of the end. F2P just added to the cacner.

So then play vanilla mod and stop crying. The extra weapons aren't going away, so you may as well learn to deal with it. Also, in case you didn't notice, the extra weapons are OPTIONAL. If they're bad, then you DON'T HAVE TO USE THEM. I know, right? A game that actually allows you the freedom of personal choice. It's a difficult concept to get, but the basic idea is that you can do whatever the fuck you want.

Also, adding more classes to TF2 would have just made balancing it difficult, and it would have just made the game redundant. 9 classes is plenty, if you added more there would be too much overlap.

No you didn't. Otherwise you'd know that almost every person in 6s uses stock, with the exception of the gunboats, ubersaw, and crossbow.

Pretty much this.
Taunts, hats and other collectibils turned the community to shit while unbalanced weapons added a certain amount of unfairness to the game.
It basically was killed off by its developers.

Hopefully overwatch won't follow the Team Fortress 2's path. It would be a shame because he Beta was pretty fun for a modern shooter.

What's not optional is having 4-6 different teammates roaming with shitty builds focused on roaming. Shitty weapons that ruin class design make it easier for shitty teammates to stand out by supporting their unproductive play allowing them avoid actually getting good. You'd see less demos ignoring sentries and charging with their melee if all they had was a bottle and didn't have whole builds focused entirely around ignoring their fucking roles.
And yet all the fucking weapons and "sub-classes" wouldn't add any overlap, right?

Yeah and shit like FoN and Natasha which stopped your momentum dead even from across maps. Which killed my interest in the game. I stopped playing before crossbow. Only good side grades they added were Kritz, gunboat, Ubersaw and Equalizer when it was actually good. Everything else was stupid. No idea what the game is like now, I played in the first few seasons of ESEA, doesn't mean shit if you don't believe me. Not really something worth lying about.

Same shit every thread

Sub-classes are different from just adding new classes. TF2 isn't Overwatch, where that game can slap a new character together in a few months and throw them out there, bad balance and all. TF2 doesn't have a mechanic that makes enemies' outlines glow, or their names to appear over their heads, instead it relies on an artistic direction that allows you to see what class someone is and what weapon they have active. Voices also occupy different vocal ranges and accents, which makes them stand out from one another (ex: scout, soldier, and engineer are all American, but each one is from a different region and thus has a different dialect and accent).

Different weapons lets classes take on different roles. While a huntsman is better at killing things at close range, he's much worse at dealing with things at long range. Huntsman vs stock, the stock sniper will win at long range almost every time unless the huntsman gets lucky. Close range, the huntsman will usually win.

Also lol at your attempts to complain about balance. You sound like the kind of person who only ever plays pubs at 3 AM with Chinese children. Again, it's about changing your role. A demoknight is way more capable of fighting pyros, soldiers, and other demos but at the expense of being worse at killing sentries and overall combat flexibility. You'd know this if you played the game instead of listening to Holla Forums.

Lemee guess, taunts upset you, too? Aww, poor baby. Let daddy get your blankey for you.

The natascha only did that when it was first released, which was almost 8 years ago. The FaN will only do that at close/mid range. So either you haven't played TF2 for 5+ years, or you're retarded.

Let's put it this way:
When was the last time Valve did a god damn thing? They've just been skimming off the marketplace and fapping for how many years now?

You.

You start out by saying how TF2 isn't Overwatch and can't shove in a new character to fuck with balance yet they already do this with their weapons serveral times over with how they treat them as dumping grounds for shitty ideas and when Robin wants his favorite class to have a new toy. Fuck off with your hypocritical bullshit.
When did VIDF starting arguing like tumblr users? Fuck off with your strawmen too.

Have a video of two turtles fucking for no goddamn reason OP

those are tortoises dumbfuck

Right around the first polycount pack I think is when it started to go downhill. F2P was probably the last straw though.

If you say anything other than the Gold Rush Update, you probably weren't there.

Fucking this.

The moment they added weapons to the game, shit became bonkers. Especially with the medic ones in that update. Completely fucked over the balance and simplicity of the original game.

i'm still baffled tf2's popularity never piqued my interest in the game.
guess the painful sfm ytp-tier vids doesn't help.

What's with this shitty excuse of a game attracting shitposters like Tumblrtale does, upon the slightest mention? Some kinda pattern going on, here?

If you play a game on a DRM platform then you are the cancer.

Wow, kill yourself anytime. I fucking hate this place.

TF2 became more goofy over time. It's a scientific law that the more colorful(in more ways than one), lighthearted, and goofy you make any game, show, or comic book, the more likely you'll attract Tumblrinas and shitposters.

Anyways the final death throe of the game was the gradual death of everything that wasn't some Skial#19840 server. TF2 lasted as long as it did despite the weapons, updates, furries and bronies, because there were people who were hosting their own servers and still making maps. Blaming bronies alone is too easy and doesn't quite hit the mark.

Coincidentally, most multiplayer games released these days die rather quickly and tend to have no server browsers or community servers, only matchmaking and custom lobbies. It doesn't help that you have Esportsfags who are addicted to matchmaking-only multiplayer. TF2 will later get a matchmaking system. I predict something similar will happen in the future, if not for any "Too Valve to fail" shit going on.

explain that autistic shit, user

Airblasting/New Weapons hands down

I liked it when it was Quake

This isn't Quake anymore boys we're into a whole new world of shit

reported for horsefaggotry

Ad hoc tf2 adding new weapons really doesn't let you see scout vs scout.
It really doesn't let you see sniper vs sniper.

It really removes competition and you don't have to struggle in mirror matches to get better than the other person.

A FaN scout vs. a default scout just ends up being they one-shot you, or you survive their shit and kill them whilst they reload.

A pyro with a flaregun gets raped by a pyro with a shotgun.

A heavy with a brass beast kills a heavy without one.

Nothing has changed the DM more, and to know all the new weapons isn't a bad thing, it makes the game more complex.
But in doing so you really kill the feel of the game. The quake-style double barrel scattergun, the multi-barreled machinegun, the rocket launcher - all tenants to wit gaming can stand by. I mean, they're still in the game and all, but how can you say Valve shows those items respect when they're put on the same stage, alongside as if Valve's puke ridden "Rainblower" and "Back-Scatter" abominations are on the same level as the Quake classics?

TF2 is in the shitter because it's a good DMing, serious shooter with monetisation and corporate rapings.

And fuck off faggot we all know avatarfags on anonymous imageboards with no purpose to remove their anonymity are to be laughed at and their dickhole torn

Sub-class implies some relevance to the original class-role. When you have a demoman with zero demolition capabilities then it just becomes a fucking joke.

Not only was it a straight upgrade from the shovel, not only was it rarely used for its intended purpose. But it both simultaneously spoiled the soldier by giving him speed in the very instance he ought to be denied it, while introducing heal-blocking, one of the most needless and poorly thought out gameplay mechnics.

The scout update

At least when it's paid it's just jews being jewish but why fuck with the goyim like this?

Tf2 died when it lost its soul.

Wtf are you talking about?

People didn't stop playing because the community became debauched (they were always debauched) or because the new weapons were unbalanced (the game was never balanced).

The reason people aren't playing TF2 is eight years of accumulated bugs that have never been fixed and an ancient engine that runs about 70fps slower than it should. Valve has no intention of fixing any of this or any plans for the game at all except shitting out more weapon skins (which will make them dramatically less money now that they effectively killed trading).

The community was dead before it went F2P which simply replaced the long gone players with kiddies. Going F2P wouldn't have been necessary if the game wasn't already dying.

The game was originally killed by the addition of needless new weapons and hats where it really needed well made new maps. The fact that early on weapon updates completely skipped some classes pissed off people who played them. Newer weapons also actually reduced the number of valid maps since they were only tested on the bigger Payload and Attack/Defend maps. The entirety of the CTF gamemode was fucked over, for example.

The other problem with new weapons is they killed off the hard roles the classes were supposed to fill and so contributed to a decline in teamwork.

Also what said about long-term issues not being fixed.

This wasn't just bugs but lasting imbalances with certain weapons that took 6+ years to resolve (Dead Ringer, for example). Hell entire maps went unplayed because of issues that could be fixed with maybe two day's work. Instead of working on the little annoyances in the game Valve churned out new hats and that leaves a bad taste in player's mouths.

What killed TF2 for me was how much worse the game ran as it become more bloated and unoptimised.

When my (previous) graphics card was brand-new, I could launch the game within a minute and be in a match another minute later.
That card died around the time Mann vs. Machine launched, and even though it took 5-10 minutes to launch and play the game by that point, I persisted because I had great private servers to play on, and still found the core gameplay fun (despite the many flaws introduced through updates).

After replacing the dead card, newer games stole my attention and I ignored TF2 outside of special events. Even on the first trip back, it was obvious the rot had finally set in.
It now takes me at least 15 minutes to go from boot-up to gameplay, all of my old communities are dead (or really deserve to be), and the gameplay became so godawful that they're adding a classic / competitive mode in desperation.
For me, it's not worth waiting so long for loading times, to effortlessly stomp a group of pubbie randos you'll never see again, in a shooter where the gunplay has stopped being fun.

When I played TF2 around MVM I used to use custom config files to lower the graphics as much as possible, and even with that I could barely play the game. One day I reset the graphics by mistake, but the game was actually running smoother at higher settings. I have no idea how it's possible to optimize so badly that higher graphical settings are better.
I'd love for Valve to strip everything down and remake the game as Team Fortress 3, but they don't have a reason to do that when they rake in so much money without putting effort in.

The fact that the game is like 50 GB

Back to Reddit with you.

Oh man, remember MvM? Valve doesn't. What a fucking waste.

It's like the game is just a dumping ground for interns and nobody has a clue what to do with it but that describes almost everything Valve does these days.

I've never played the game myself, but from what I hear it was the hats.

Everybody complains about how the game became filled with nothing but kids who completely sucked at it when it went f2p, but if that's the case, I just want to know where they're playing. I'd be happy to easily stomp everyone, I quit playing largely because eventually it never felt like I was getting any better. But playing against people who are bad? As long as I'm doing well, it's fun for me, it's about the relative skill levels, not the absolute skill levels.

The fact that this isn't the final file size after it's decompressed.

What about Medieval?

Hats killed it.
Anyone who says anything other than hats is a retard.

I used to run a TF2 server, playercounts dropped amazingly when the mannconomy update hit. That was the beginning of the end for me.

Shame, most games nowadays just aim for matchmaking which just fucks any attempt at building a community.

The thing I hated most about MVM was how some weapons wouldn't have all the upgrades in case a stat went above +100%. The Direct Hit would have been fun as fuck, but you can't upgrade the damage as much as stock so stock is always better.
I used to do 6 man Righteous Bison Soldier teams, wirh crit canteens it rips through robots really well.

TF2 might benefit from a lightweight client that doesn't supply most of the game's stuff, only the base stuff such as non-hat models, materials and gameplay stuff, while keeping the maps and various elements as separate but of course free packages. Considering that maps take ~4,5 GB of space, materials for them about 5,5 GB totalling to somewhere around 10 GB, while the models and their materials take something over 5 GB (including hats at whopping 2+ GB and weapons at ~1,3 GB, leaving the rest of the stuff to 1,5-1,7 GB) and sound files taking ~1,5 GB. I did my maths on this one. The game at launch was around 6 GB iirc, but I only had a super tater computer with 40 GB HDD. This user would benefit such a lightweight client.

The team had to be reminded to add it to that valve "alternative modes" servers. It's dead and buried.

I still play this game, and do have fun with it blasting shit. Pic related. inb4 someone mentions AlphaBlaster

I can smell the shit coming off of you.

What about Special Delivery and Robot Destruction? What about Arena? What about Capture the Flag?

What about fucking Cactus Canyon?

What about Special Delivery?
What about Payload Race?
What about Halloween Bosses?
What about Territorial Control ?

Oh, and valve fucked over the modding community big time by making their servers have sv_pure 1.
TF2 used to have a large modding community, and I wish it still had. Now it's mostly just hats hats and hats instead.

That work ethic tho.

Source?

They successfully killed off the modding community, and displaced all the attention it got onto their own platform for "mods".

All for the sake of profit.

Sound is Jerma's, don't know about the guy doing the animation. He's done stuff like this thing here though, can't say he's bad.

I've been playing on official servers since the game's release (not using any mods besides a custom HUD) and I've seen none of what OP is complaining about.

Found it by accident in the relevant vids

I have no idea where you got that. I'm saying I want bad players so I can do relatively well individually. Unless you're playing competitive, which I'm obviously not, who really cares if your team wins? It makes especially little sense to care about your team winning when autobalance is on, which most random public servers have. Sure, my team winning would be nice, but as long as I'm doing way more killing than dying, I'm happy. And finding awful players makes that goal a lot easier. Sometimes I'd luck into a game full of people who stunk worse than I do, but I could never do it consistently.

It'd also be nice to find somewhere that used only the smallest of maps. Ideally smaller than even the smallest official maps. The game's always the least fun when running from spawn to where the action is. The smaller the map, the less of that.

When they added a second set of weapons.

Everything after that was just adding hundred of items and cosmetics instead of actual new content like maps. We got like 3 maps.

I know what you mean. I've expressed this view a lot of times, but nobody seemed to know what I was talking about. Matchmaking just doesn't feel rewarding. Back when server based multiplayer was dominant, you could judge your skill levels very intuitively as you kept playing. The better you'd get, the less you'd die, and the funnier shit you could pull off. Now with matchmaking, it doesn't matter at all. You do well? You'll win half of your matches. You play horribly? You'll still win half of your matches. Feels like there's no reason to play.

Mannconomy introduced the marketplace
F2P and quick play killed dedicated servers and opened the floodgates

Ctrl-F: 1 Result
shit

That's what happens when you're a communist. They pretend you get paid, you pretend to work.

And don't even dare ask what communism has to do with anything. The Valve corporate structure has been well known for a long time now.

This is supposed to be a team-game.

>>>/plebbit/

This was extra retarded considering they had just had that ufo ayylmao update which they could have easily delayed for a month and spun into that year's halloween update.

Hey, if there was "Loosely Allied Individuals With Similar Goals Fortress 2" I'd play that instead. And it's not like I ignore the objective, I push the cart or capture the points or whatever. But seriously, it's impossible to care about winning the overall objective when auto-balance is active, it's going out of its way to basically make that a coin flip.

And even without autobalance, maybe you won because your team carried you. Maybe you lost because you didn't kick enough ass to carry your lousy team. In any team-based game you never truly know just who's really responsible for what. But your own personal effectiveness, that's an objective measure that applies no matter what. So that's what most matters to me. You can't blame me for caring how effectively I'm killing other dudes in a game where that's the primary thing to do.

You're not supposed to give a shit about that, at all.

You're supposed to play the fucking game, and that includes special focus on objectives, and your role in completing them.

Under-rated post of the thread.

Crates and Trading killed everything

wait

Idiots who bought this shit killed everything

This is the exact attitude that has been killing the game and what the slew of items have been supporting. People ended up focusing more on keeping their K:D/points up and experimenting with toys rather than playing objectives and supporting the team. It's the attitude every Demoknight, Black Box solly, and Phlog pyro carries with them as they ignore a cart or run in the opposite direction from a sentry nest guarding a point.

Too little and too fucking late

Now that Valve knows theres big bucks in competitive scenes they're gonna prop the corpse of TF2 up and pretend they haven't been steadily molesting it to pieces for years at this point

Thanks, m8.

please dont remind me

Im glad I uninstalled that shit a long time ago

I still play TF2, even now. But to this day the only money I have ever spent on it was for The Orange Box and I am fucking glad.

I even play without cosmetics despite having a bunch of vintage stuff I got through crafting/drops. It's the most satisfying way to play as well, because you will get people asking why you're dressed like a f2per when they realise you play way better than your appearance lets on.

F2P, dumbass.

The only major fluctuation in player quality I noticed was when it went F2P and there were more squealing children than usual. A few months later and it went back down to normal.

Quickplay might've been a bit of a boon in that regard since it also killed off almost all pony servers, "friendly only" servers and so on. It took out a lot of quality, unfortunately, but it took a lot of cancer with it, so I dunno how to feel about it. I still end up using the server browser anyways and I still play the game a lot; I don't feel it's any more or less significantly broken than it was in 2010 to 2011 when I started playing, save for the ridiculousness that the Phlogistinator reached at points.

Goodnight, sweet caber. People say it wasn't 2fort snipers that caused your death, but I know better.

Crates and crafting.

Before that it was just going downhill. That was rock bottom. Anything since then is just mining for gold.

Thanks for reminding me that I was a twat who bought keys in the past

Valve just hate their community, judging from their actions regarding community servers - the one and only thing that actually made their games popular in the first place (because CSv1.6, CS:S, TF2 and others didn't have official servers in the beginning).

The GAME went to complete shit when the spy vs sniper update hit. That was the framework for the "mannconomy" system. It was also a really, really, REALLY fucking bad update where practically every single new item was broken as fuck.

The mannconomy brought about idle servers, laid the framework for people "playing" the game to do anything BUT play the game. My complaint was about the system itself but the far reaching impact is even more damning.

Did 1.6 and Source even have official servers in the first place.

No.

post yfw you've never bought anything free or has no no value

One point for the consolefags

Whats that?

Launch TF2 is worse than current live TF2.

its because the biggest furry servers in tf2 including ozfur shut down within the last year or so, so now that crowd's kinda spread out to everywhere.

i know this because i used to play on those servers, they had best ping for me and were always active.

game died long before that though, if you really want to trace it back what killed the game's balancing was the scout update right before snipers v spies. sandman, bonk, and debatably force-a-nature are all gimmicky shitty items that arent fun to play against.

then with snipers v spies they opened the flood gates and started dumping in shitloads of hats and broken items that dont even seem like they were tested and the game hasnt been balanced ever since

You see Betty, that's not the point. The point is that TF2 was a fun, competitive game once upon a time, but now it is riddled with balance issues, the community is crap and there's no teamwork to be had anymore. If you can't see that and think that people bash TF2 because they want to fit in, you are sorely mistaken. The game simply lost it's edge and appeal in favor for more (inexperienced) players.

Seriously guy, I can smell the Reddit on you. My advice to you is lurk moar.

F2P killed TF2. You're a huge newfag if you think bronies did it, or even that it were them that brought the game to the furfag's attention.

What came first, the huge amount of official servers or private servers booting f2ps?

Natasha was never good, per se, but it was the most obnoxious shit in the game by a wide margin. Heavy Sniper Guy could slow your entire team from across the map. Sandman originally went through Uber, too, and removed Scout's double jump. The stun also lasted a LOT longer and from shorter distances.

More like miniature heart attack dispenser

SHEER HEART ATTACKU

It's not dead, it just got worse.

The game is powered and kept alive by autism, pretty much like Holla Forums.

You guys are gonna think this is bait but I genuinely dont understand all the hate towards horsefuckers, yeah I know they are cancerous and all that but Moe shit is even worse because there is a lot of people defending it. If a horsefucker gets attacked he will make a fool of himself or just ignore the attacker but Moe fags will try to debate you thinking that they havethe bedt taste in everything
TL;DR Moe shit is worse than ponies

Kill yourself horsefucker.

Valve killed TF2.

Okay so yeah, bronies and furries are a thing that exist so what?

But everyone had equal representation, community servers were out there for everyone. You didn't have to deal with something you didn't like, you could just go elsewhere.

Modding works both ways, it makes stuff you hate and makes stuff you love.

So Valve rolls out F2P, that's still fine, more players is not a problem. What is the problem is they also rolled out Quickplay servers with it. And that's what has been killing it, they basically took the life out of the game and restricted it to "WELL IF YOUR SERVER DOESN'T SERVE THE CASUAL AUDIENCE THEN WELL FUCK YOU."

And that's what happened, all of these long standing gaming communities started to die off because they just don't get people in them anymore. New players just flock to Valve servers because they think it's the right thing to do and that there's nothing else.

Valve as a late have turned into no fun mode, trying to monitize mods and then shit on them for anyone else who tried to have fun with them.

I hope you're kidding you ponyraping piece of shit. Even the worst anime fans are better than the best horsefuckers

Anime has always been a central part of which everything revolves around on every chan. Deny it how many times you like, if you don't accept this fact, then you are a newfag. I remember no one complaining about anime on 4ailchan before Plebbit really turned up the heat. Then everyone suddenly started bitching about one of the more longer standing traditions. Sure, Holla Forums wasn't for anime, but the occasional post never got any flak about it. Only little underage faggots get angry at someone replying to them with a smug anime girl.

The furries have been our sworn enemies since time immemorial. Horsefuckers are just more of the same. If you symphathize with horsefuckers, then you need to GTFO and yiff in hell.

it wasn't one thing it was a series of things really.

To name a few:
F2P
Constant half-assed weapons
Crutch weapons
Hat market

This is beyond sad

Of all the kikes I've heard, this one has got to be one of the sleaziest ones
It still hurts to see how much love and dedication was put into hand crafting visuals that would very well pass for early (good) Dreamworks or Pixar shit and get them smeared over time by obnoxious flair, plus no one ever plays TF2C and it's in the hands of primadonna Facepunchers, so double the disappointment

Checked, Donald, but he's right
Casually stroll down a Valve server and even if you find some semblance of skill you'll see most people are eternal newcomers who are overwhelmed by the shit you can do in-game, at best you'll be lucky to find some people trying to emulate their favorite personalities' strategies.

This is also true, and people seem to forget that a lot of great features (i.e. building hauling, instant loadout respawns) were added in the shittiest updates possible. I'd say that the game started out so bad that Valve had to make it worse with Medic's unlockables before it could get better - the whole point of the unlockables was to make sure enough people would actually heal their team mates and play as a team.

Im not saying that anime is bad, im saying that most moe is shit
Most moe isn't all anime

Quake Team Fortress is the only good Team Fortress game, all other games are shit, even TFC.

Yes I know anime is important in imagenboards culture but dont try to deny that most moe is shit especially nowadays that almost every anime is trying to be waifu material rather than being good like Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagann or Jojo

I still think Valve should make it so Dispensers build ubercharge when healing people, that then get loaded onto medics when standing next to them.

That would help during a load of turtle situations, since seeing a dispenser with a lot of ubercharge would prompt players to go medic to help break the enemies turtle.

Even so, and I share your grief, that doesn't excuse being lenient on horsefuckers or furries. Ever.

Some people will say it was the hats, but that is not the case; the first few waves of hats still fit into the general aesthetic of the game, and there was nothing inherently wrong with the drop system.

What really fucked the game is Valve opening the floodgates to community content. People that had zero respect for the original aesthetic of the game (Cold War spytech shit) started flooding the game with shit, that didn't fit into the game. Take a look at Hydro in comparison to that one fucking city map for the greatest of extremes.

The people who made the vanilla game in the past knew how to prioritize aesthetic with the same value as gameplay. These newfags cannot do the same. That is the greatest difference.

I don't have that Gantz edit about how Japan only makes moeshit, so you're just going to have to imagine I posted it.

The fact that you complain about moeshit whilst only citing the most mainstream of mainstream anime proves you don't actually care about the medium at all. If you did, you would know that there's at least three worthwhile shows a season, and that's plenty.

Fuck it, I bit.

The fact that the cosmetics once were required to fit the art style/theme, but now are literally any-fucking-thing, is a major example of the complete cancer.

DON'T REMIND ME
THAT SHIT WAS SO MUCH FUCKING FUN WHEN YOU PLAYED IT WITH YOUR INTERNET BUDDIES
AND THEY JUST FUCKING FORGOT IT

But user,that would require effort.

If the ideas for each of these classes actually had some relevance to the original role (kritz medic and gunboats soldier are basically the only examples of this), unlike the demoknight or ambassador spy,then maybe you'd be right.

pic so very related

I agree with you, all horsefuckers should be put in a isolated game like secondlife, I lost 3 pretty good friends to MLP nowadays they just play TF2, Heartstone, Dark Souls 2 and one of them is making a Undertale LP
Life is truly full of suffering

Double edged sword: while the mechanic would be yet another good idea to put the Team into TF2, it would create this bizarre scenario where Medics could potentially abandon team mates just to run to the nearest Dispenser before their fellow Medics can do the same, or having people just sit there to get the uber first.
Unless you meant "the uber is given to enemy medics" which would defeat the purpose of having a dispenser, while at the same time being useless since Medics will always be way too far away to be in the enemy dispenser's range.

W/E the problem is that Medics do a very boring job compared to the rest of the cast because their offensive capabilities are cut, so Valve thought of giving new items out so that people would be so preoccupied with grabbing them that they'd forget they were playing as the most boring class in the game and were actively healing others. On the other hand, this brought to light other problems within the game, such as the fact that the Demoman could still outshine everyone else, even with five germans standing around three ruskies, or that turtling is still "surprisingly" effective if no one plays a meaty class, and even if they are, sometimes.

A mix of the old and the new would be just fine, as long as the weapons lose a lot of their minmaxing shit and go back to giving actually novel gameplay mechanics. Also if they go back to looking like something from the 1960's with WWII-Rusty-SciFi vibes instead of modern gear sitting next to cartoony sandwiches.

Also they should definitely stop creating items that self heal, maybe the only exception should be the airblast and the dousing characters giving back health to the user.

Lovin' your ID

Also

I'm pretty sure furfags and bronies didn't kill your autistic game op. Maybe try playing a game that isn't autistic, yeah?

That's because the robots would need a ton of work done in order for them to be compatible with players, not ever cosmetic can apply to them

We need another lmaobox

That's bullshit and you know it
Most cosmetics apply to them already, albeit slightly modified, whereas their hitboxes are pretty much the same but for the giant robots

The robots lack the same bodygroups and attachments necessary for certain hats, for instance the Soldier bot's helmet can't be taken off

I'm surprised nobody has made a hack that fucks with the players backpack in some way

fucking valve

Demoknight was a really neat pick class who could kill medics and counter sticky demos and sentries. It traded out raw power for the ability to make surprise attacks.

It was never able to to anything without charge-turning exploits, though, and now that Valve killed the Tide Turner and all the weapons that synergised with it there's no reason to pick it because it can't do what it's supposed to. Just like Pyro.

if that dude was posting that on bodybuilding.com his post would be ok
it's unbelievable faggotry that he'd try to alpha you in a goddamn difference of opinion about TF2

I remember the fucking disaster that it was, everything about it was shit even the animation

R U S S I A N S
U
S
S
I
A
N
S

hahahahahahahahaha, tf2 competitive hahahahahahahhahah

Boy I sure love playing a gimped version of the base game that focuses entirely on movement over class strategy

All the fucking expansions and shops. Also all the kids.

This is is huh user, why couldn't video games be different

holy shit mine only lets me hoverhand her.

I miss when new items actually followed the visual guidelines.

But then they had to go full Jew and promote new games with free hand shit.

They weren't always unbalanced.

Embed related.

Nowadays is probably the most balanced in the true meaning of the term they've ever been. Remember Spy not being able to pick up ammo to extend his base cloak, or Pyro running as fast as Scout and not having an airblast, or Demoman having six grenades for his launcher, or Engineer not being able to move buildings without totally destroying them?

Those things were added before the flood of items were added.

I have 1k hours in TF2.

F2P killed my addiction to it. By force. F2P made the servers I used to play on always be full, and with F2P players not the community I was used to. Starting up TF2 and not being able to join any server enough times made me give up. Tried to play again during some of the events, but there wasn't the same pull keeping me coming back.

quickplay killed of a lot of the community servers
so that definitely helped kill tf2

this was the beginning of the end

forgot this
same update
and people wonder why the scout attracts neon wearing faggots

Don't forget Valve's extremely quiet hate for Arena and Territory

Actually it's valve that expected a lot out of territory control, iirc they spent a lot of time making a new gamemode only to end up no one playing it

Arena on the other hand, you're right

It needed almost a year to top up the trailer's viewcount

What a fucking letdown that update was

Yeah and to put the cherry on the shitshow that was, the map that was going to be put it in the fucking update? It was removed because play testers thought it was confusing

And only after a few months later they officially added it in the game

I guess, since f2p kiddies use that shit
Most experienced players just browse the servers
If you want to see quickplay killing community servers, see CSGO and Dota 2

TF2 died because of the "competitive community". 6v6 is a shitty mod and 9v9 is far too rigid. People who whine about 6v6 balance or balance at all in what is essentially a casual team shooter are like people who think WoW PvP should be balanced around 2s or duels. Hypercompetitive retards with no skill whatsoever.

TF2 finally and completely died when it reached the point at which the majority of its players' primary motivation to play the game was to acquire rewards extraneous to the gameplay (hats, etc.) instead of enjoying the game for itself.

These are the people you read about when games industry veterans observe that playtesters now react negatively to anything which is put in a game 'for fun' and has no 'point' to it. People don't want to play games to enjoy playing the games anymore. They want to play games so they can rank up/level up/gain digital items/get prestige rewards etc.

That is one reason why pre-order bonuses and special editions work so well these days. If you can get these rewards without even having to go through the bother of playing the game, what's a little extra money or lack of information about how good the game actually is?

TF2 was more or less in the coffin spluttering its final, phlegm-y noises at this point, but I believe that this is what ultimately killed it stone dead.

UGC is a special breed of retarded. I know a few guys who associate on the upper levels and played on a team with one guy before he became an admin. Really cool guy he was, but in general they're pants on head retarded. Turned their head the other way for all sorts of hackers and their alts, as long as nobody reported them hacking in a UGC match. Super srs no fun allowed discussion about weapon bans for what really amounts to the recreational TF2 league, opening the doors wide open and allowing pure undiluted cancer to take over the lower ranks, on and on. There are a few abrasive personalities in there that I enjoy because they piss in everyone's cereal, but for the most part it's retards pretending to be leaders.

Mannconomy.
Retarded players which tf2 never lacked became more interested in trading, idling, crafting, jerking off with hats on and suggesting shitty weapons to valve.

So many ellipsis, your writing is as shit as mgs'.

Whoa it's just over 50,000 players now. I swear it used to be higher.

Probably because it killed its own style by peddling random cosmetic items. The was made game f2p and turned it upside down on its head as a micro-transaction business. TF2 lost its charm.

Except that it's not really a "casual team shooter" the moment you feel forced into playing soldier unless you want to gimp yourself.
Some amount of balance there would help the game far more and it wouldn't take much.

According to SteamCharts, it's peak was something like 80000 or so users at one point, a few years back. It was never really that popular it seems.
Probably because of "unlimited skill ceiling". A lot of people aren't interested in investing a lot of time to a game that demands several hours before they stop being shit. Can't blame them for that, there's way more videogames out there for fun that don't force you into being fragged for 500 hours before you can start having fun.

Overwatch had 9 millions during the Open Beta, 10 times more than even Dota 2
Even if just 10% of those buy the game, it's still gonna be more popular than Valve's current cash cow…

Can anyone recommend a game with the same feel as tf2? I mostly just enjoyed being able to casually play something in the same server with the same dudes everyday. Besides other source games, I haven't really found anything that's given me the same comfy feels tf2 did.

I have never once come across a situation where I needed to play Soldier or even thought he was the clear and obvious choice in going on 1200 hours of TF2

MannConomy is when I gave up. I think I did play the robot tower defence thing for a bit when it came out, but apart from that I quite literally never played it again.

Svencoop. We've a thread here on Holla Forums.

But it's a coop game.

there's a conspiracy

What reality do you live in? Valve has never paid any mind to the very small competitive community latched onto the game and has been exclusively catering to casual players until the development of the upcoming update.

Regardless of that, I fail to see how having some balance is anything but a plus. Having things skewed where only a fragment of playable options available are viable is not enjoyable at any skill level - casual or competitive.

It peaked over 100k several times, but the last time was late 2014. Ever since then it has been rather stagnant.
9 million people also played the Battlefront beta.

That's not good news for TF2 either.

Every fucking time.

Is it really?

I wish TF2C wasn't dead. I miss running around shanking you faggots in the back ;_; I guess the only good to come from this glorious mod was a cautionary tale of what happens when you cant keep a dev group in line. Shit made Anton and Coolpecker's development look steady, and that game had a member leave over an e-slapfight with Mark and promptly try to kill that Yandere game over pantyshots triggering him.

As much as I hate Jizzard, if they add a spy-type character to Oyveywatch, I'm fucking buying that shit full price. Roadhog was glorious, but he wasn't worth 40 denars and having to put up with Blizz's shit.

Did Star Wars Battlefront had a Beta with a lot of players before it's release, though? I'm not familiar with that.

Besides, most Battlefront players probably wanted a militaristic shooter while most Star Wars fans didn't. That coupled with the price and the season pass bullshit and the crappy game they released kinda explains their sales figure…

At least with both Overwatch and Battleborn, you are getting all the maps and heroes day 1 instead of having to wait for some DLC to be made available for you to buy.

time

DEEP

Well, HotS has invisible heroes and although it's probably different teams maybe they'll add a hero that has invisibility of some kind.

I actually liked the Deceiver in that Legacy of Kain arena game that got canned.
You could disguise as other people and have a nice invisibility as well that damaged people nearby. It was pretty neat to go near people and have them panick at the ticks of damage, or backstab them the moment a team fight starts and they are busy.
There was even an ability to control them for a short amount of time that was pretty fun to use and jump down from high places or against my teammates.

Would any of these feelings change for you, if the spy has slappers instead of a knife like Gabe projected onto him, along with a tranq gun, making him the full Goldeneye reference he was meant to be?

I spent a solid 275$-300$ on keys and ToD tickets. Bought out of the game at a 500$+ backpack. Feels good

MGS???

D-did I stutter, f-faggot???

I really hope you are just fucking with me and didn't actually miss the joke.

Holla Forums, it being released killed it.

The biggest thing is for me at least was that Valve just gave up on creating more content for TF2, no longer do you see as many community-made weapons like you used to. Also, the contract system was really refreshing, but that lasted for a little bit before it went away FOREVER. They could have expanded on it, but they didn't. It's like how Blizzard had so much opportunity with Warlords of Draenor and got somethings right, but then the Devs just stopped caring anymore.

A heavy, far away from the action with ass to the wall screaming SPY SPY UND SPY waving his spun up gun around like he's playing a Hidden Object game with a timer that's about to run out sure sounds like he's afraid to me.

Either way, any time he spends "tactically lying in wait" in a corner chasing shadows is time he isn't spending on defending objectives, and shooting at my mates. A paranoid and useless player is as good as AFK in my eyes, so either way, Spy does his job. Heavyfat can keep screaming spy all he wants, there are Medics and Demos that need to be killed and nobody is going to waste their time committing to killing a high risk, low reward player.

I wasn't too razzed about contracts since you needed to pay to even get into them. Maybe something more unique than weapon skins as a reward (that community Invasion update with unique skins was an absolutely excellent start, I love my CAPPER) and not having to pay to even get into them would be a draw.

let me post codemonkey

I bet you're the kind of guy that decloaks on top of buildings

what kind of an insult is that?

It's an assumption, not really an insult. Cloaking on buildings is common since most people won't shoot above a building when looking for a Spy. Decloaking on a building usually reveals their position, though, especially since teammates don't collide with buildings, the exception being the Engineer that built them

ah, I thought you meant like, raised platforms around the map, not engie specific buildings.
the thing about buildings is that they're also a good way to escape death against, say, a heavy. because the buildings block rocket and bullets, including the sentry. It's a useful tip if you need to stab the engie but he's too far away from his sentry, just hide behind the dispenser until you can pop cloak again.

Sentry bullets do damage to the dispenser though, but it is good in case you decloak behind one and cause the Engineer to get shot by his own sentry

I think it's time to liquidate my backpack.

You're going to turn your backpack into water?

and then turn it into wine