Doom general

Doom 4 not allowed edition

I'm going to play Doom for the first time.

Wish me luck, guise.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/EWaJ5#selection-345.0-345.257
moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/project-brutality
doom64ex.wordpress.com/
members.shaw.ca/vaecrius/hd/
youtube.com/watch?v=oPrU7LSqiX0
steamcommunity.com/id/pa1nki113r/recommended/379720/
forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=33766
s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=02490861793566216040
lmgtfy.com/?q=Romero's new E1M4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't forget™ to use the Holla Forums approved™ Brutal™ Doom™ mod™ by™ the™ based™ SGtMarkIV™
And remember™

If you disagree you're a hipster®

i'd say try out Brutal Doom AFTER youve played it vanilla via sourceports.

What?! How is that even possible? You come here and you haven't played Doom yet?.
Are you like 12

Doom was released in 1993.
If OP was LITERALLY BORN when Doom came out, he would be 22 FUCKING YEARS OLD right now.

I'm 21 tbh

And this shit is amazing. Just finished episode one

I'm playing it in ZDoom, my plan is finishing the original Doom1 and Doom2 wads, then I'll proceed to mods and other stuff.

Saved.

Got any other recommendations not on that list?

Lunatic. Five map wad with a great finale.

Why is DemonSteele under "4chan own mods"?
I'm genuinely curious, as far as i know Terminus isn't a regular.

Because Metroid Dreadnaught is also listed under there, I presume?

You know he browse Holla Forums, right?

Actually no, i didn't know that at all.
As far as i know he just used to hang with the regular doom community, posted on the forums, did some streams here and there, made some vids on his youtube about either gameplay, archived streams or talking about various topics and that was it.

Oh yeah but now that i think about it i did talk to him a couple of times in /vr/ and i think one time in a doom thread here, i just assumed it was a rare thing and he wasn't a regular.

Terminus was a regular of /vr/'s Doom generals, and he occasionally shows up here.

I played DOOM for the first time today and had a blast.
And yes, it's entirely because the new game looks to be so garbage that I bothered to install DOOM.

Shit's fucking fantastic, I'm going to start playing all these mods once I finish the main campaign. Reelism in particular looks interesting to me.

I'm not gonna lie guys, but I love Brutal Doom, because the over the top gore gives me a strange feeling in my pants

Honestly, if there's one bit of good that's coming out of the new Doom, it's getting people to try out the original.

How the fuck is this your first time playing Doom?

I'm genuinely curios as to why you never bothered to boot up a game that is so easy to get online.

OP make sure to do a pistol start every level.
Turn off autosave and just console 'kill'
Each level for DOOM and DOOM2 were tested with pistol starts, so the game wasn't properly balanced with being able to carry all that shit with you to the next level.

Complete BS. They were, because losing all your weapons was the intended penalty for dying. Pistol start wasn't supposed to be the default for every level but was punishment for fucking upl.

Yeah man.

Not him, but in my case at least I just never really thought about it.
Hearing about how nu-doom butchered everything and thinking about the current state of the industry I thought it was as good a time as any to try it out. And it's fantastic, but also eye opening as to how much gaming is just missing the point of everything nowadays.

Seriously, the entire thing is so simple that it's baffling why the modern one decided to bog everything down instead of going back to its roots.

archive.is/EWaJ5#selection-345.0-345.257

One dev thinking the game was too easy with a feature they implemented themselves does not equate to playing with that feature being the improper way to play.

stealed the words from my mouth.

Petersen created 19 levels of Doom (like 8 based off of drafts from Tom Hall), and 17 of Doom II.

Seriously dude, every level should be done with a pistol start. The games get ridiculously easy as soon as you're taking anything more than a damn shotgun with you to the next level.

I'm pointing out your poor English skills. It's "stole." "Stealed" is not a word.

Speaking of online it's been Ages since the last time i played some lan parties. Where are all the cool kids playing online nowadays.

Oh ok, sorry.

Project Brutality is better.

hey guys I've never played DOOM before

should I play the original from 1993 in DOSBox or just play the new reboot instead? I already pre-ordered the new one on Steam btw and it finished downloading yesterday.

Just play Choc-

play the original first

nevermind I just looked up screenshots of the original DOOM and it looks like it aged like shit. I'm just going to go ahead and play the new one first then try DOOM 3 because DOOM 2 also looks like shit lmao.

I'm 25. I played it for the first time a couple days ago. I just got to Inferno today on Ultra Violence.

I do remember a family friend repairing our computer once when I was a teenager, and he installed Doom 1&2 on it probably as a nod to me. ("You say your son's a gamer? I'll install a couple games he'll love.") I didn't think my parents would let me play it so I never touched it. I still feel a weird sort of regret thinking back on it. I'd be offended if I installed some classic PC game for a kid nowadays and the little shit threw it away to play FNAF or Minecraft.

League Of Legends

Knowing kids, the first thing they would ask about Doom is "How do I look up and down?"

The gore is fine, it's just that the gameplay changes and soundscape suck dick.

I played the first episode yesterday and it's fucking great, don't get fooled by the appearance.

He's either baiting or is a fucking underage newfag.

Just look at the way he's typing

I've been playing them for the first time, too. Just finished Tricks and Traps on UV, it's my favourite map so far.

Try Project Brutality, lots of more balance and fun to be have.

moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/project-brutality

Why were there chainsaws on Mars in the first place?

Doom 3 had an explanation for that I think, not that I remember it though, was either a wrong shipment or special chainsaw to cut through rock.

They ordered jackhammers and got chainsaws instead. Of something like that.

I never got into non vanilla doom because I legitimately found the setup to the custom shit to be hard
like fucking hell finding the proper wads and niche shit that one guy in the tutorial uses to get it running pissed me off more than it should when I couldn't find it online and get it runningI really wanted to try brutal doom, but jumping the hoops seems bullshit
Played the original and a bit of the second. It was fun.

Just take a wad and drag it into GZDoom. Gameplay wad first if you're doing multiple.

It mention some master files that need to be placed in order for the whole thing to work. The .rar in OP just gives a level pack. No master file.
Not very tech literate

what up lads

pimped up doom

Oblige + DoomRLA + maybe Doom RPG is tall the FPS I ever need.

What source port you using, OP?

Ah, good ol' Crossfire. How does it even work in Doom with more than two rooms on top of eachother?

Doom sucks

Every FPS previous to Half life\System shock 2 was shit

You hipsters just want to be contrarians, at least play Wolfenstein so you can boast about only playing the true father of FPS

You need the Doom .wad, that's the one containing all the shit of Doom, it's basically the game.

What you do, make a folder and dump both the doom.wad and gzdoom files in it. Start gzdoom.exe and it should detect Doom.

Surprising amount of shitposts for a doom thread, salty shills for doom4?

Works pretty well considering it's not Doom, but an addon for Garry's Mod. Sadly, no music in-game, but at least there's foobar2k to do that.

It boggles my mind how Oblige can even randomly generate multi-story rooms

Make sure to turn off auto aim if you use mouse look. Also disable the fucking filter, makes all games a god damn blurry massive shit.

This.

Playing with my partner today and I sent her a screenshot of something I saw and she said "Wooah why is your doom so detailed and weird looking like that?"

just posting a few more screenshots.

So the mod actually works now?

You see it alot with youtube videos too. That filter should be disabled by default, makes the games lose lots of details indeed. Auto aim is only needed if mouse look is off, that's how the games are designed anyways.

Also OP, don't forget about Doom64 EX, that the shit you also want to play
doom64ex.wordpress.com/

hideous destructor keeps on updatering
members.shaw.ca/vaecrius/hd/

Has worked all fine for a good while. Just doesn't like certain other add-ons.

Play using CHocolate Doom. It's designed to look and play exactly like the DOS version.

Anyone play Trailblazer? Any good maps for it?

Are you fucking serious, this looks like it was edited in ms paint for fuck sake

Correction, filtering should be None (nearest mipmap) otherwise youll get flickering shit.

serious about what, Karl?

Look at that lazily edited image

it's a simple screenshot… i don't know why you're so fanny flushed

Get project brutality, change the PB spawn settings to "Death Wish"

Get Back to Saturn (maps)

Make sure you load Back to Saturn first though or some of the weapon textures will overlap with vanilla.

I'm thinking of making a wad. My idea for it is kind of like Nox Quest and Runescape Pest Control. The gameplay would revolve around getting to the end of the map. Along the way, there will be obelisks that spawn enemies as long as a player is in their line of sight. There would be a limit of how much they can spawn and at what rate, depending on the difficulty level. These obelisks could potentially have certain defenses. For example, an ice obelisk that spawns ice monsters would have to be killed with fire. Otherwise, it might take solving a puzzle or finding a hidden toggle. There would also be a mysterious boss monster that exists once per map that would ambush you at an unknown time. It would be mega powerful and you'd have to be on your toes to avoid it.

Would you be interested in playing this? Does it sound fun?

Let's suppose I want to play Heretic, Hexen and Strife in ZDoom. What cvars/comp flags would I have to tick in order to get the most vanilla-like experience for each game?

inb4 chocolate ports

Fucking Overlords.

Is Doom 4 allowed in Halo General though?

Is there anyway to completely disable reloading in Project Brutality but still get the new weapons?

Sounds neat.

Reminds me I still have my unfinished wad to work on back from when I was learning Decorate

NO
Play Brutal Doom instead

How dare you like Brutal DOOM you shitlord?! Don't you know that everytime you have fun with it another stronk independent marine who don't need no shotgun gets raped?

Guncaster and Trailblazer.

To be honest, that list is pretty shitty. Just play Epic 2 if you want to see what good megawads taste like.

I'm looking to get into some of these Doom mods, but should I play the Heretic/Hexic games first since I've never played them?

And will downloading the Doom iwads let me have all those full vanilla games? Or will I need to find a torrent or something?

Heretic and Hexen are fun but different, especially Hexen. Just go for them whenever you feel like.

As for your second question, the iwads are all you need, as long as you have an engine to use them with.

youtube.com/watch?v=oPrU7LSqiX0

Don't forget Strife. It's more like Hexen than Doom, but you go around and do missions for a rebellion, and you're not just killing shit.

Reminder
steamcommunity.com/id/pa1nki113r/recommended/379720/

You will need the respective wad file for each game: hexen.wad, heretic.wad, etc.

If I remember right, hexen and heretic were made by raven software, not id. They have little to do with doom, but they did introduce concepts to the engine which some doom mods use. This includes things like an inventory, usable items, and jumping. You don't really need to play them before trying modded doom.

Besides hexen, heretic, and strife, there is also chex quest. I'm not sure how well its held up, but it might be worth checking out for the novelty of it.

This was great fun multiplayer, enjoyed it more than doom.

What exactly makes it better

Hexen gets way better with this combat mod. Nothing too crazy but it just makes the game feel right. It's called Hexercise.

forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=33766

Just about finished this level, just need some playtesting done. E-Mail me with any feedback, criticisms or suggestions you may have for this level. If you can, send a demo, either in .lmp or soundless .webm/.mp4(for storage space).
s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=02490861793566216040

Just played through Romero's new E1M4 on UV, shit was pretty good, but maybe had too many shotgun guys? It makes me excited for what his new title is going to be like. Both that level and the E1M8 remake were both cool with how they would transform previous sections of the level you'd been through, but E1M4 did this a lot more.

Could you spoonfeed a newfag?

Are you retarded, or have you just never actually played a doom sourceport before?

He literally just did

lmgtfy.com/?q=Romero's new E1M4

What other anons said

Does the new DOOM atleast have references to REPERCUSSIONS OF EVIL or the Doom comic?

M8, Rip and Tear is literally mentioned in the intro.

Well what about protecting the environment?

Friendly reminder that Rise of The Triad remake has this right before the second boss.

holy shit this is great

HOW DO I INSTALL WADS ON PRBOOM+ WITH LINUX MINT?
I don't know what the fuck I'm doing, everywhere I look I keep finding different solutions and none of them work. Please somebody help.

Tons of options for controlling what weapons you get, optional weapon upgrades, what AI monsters have, an optional 'dynamic spawn' system that dumps harder monsters into maps as you progress through a mapset and gain new weapons, sound packs that can be loaded to give you different sounds for weapons, and much more.

It's BD as modded by somebody that gives demonstrable fucks for what a community wants out of a mod.

Did I mention I'm computer retarded?

you don't install wads, you open them with whatever doom launcher you're using

I'm not sure about linux, but with windows you can just drag and drop the wad onto the doom launcher exe to open it

with linux there's probably some command line options you can do or however you start doom on that shit

Oh, really?
I'll be sure to try this out. I'll be back when I've figured it out.

>HOW DO I INSTALL WADS ON PRBOOM+ WITH LINUX MINT?
You run zdl in wine you fucking faggot.

I don't know shit about linux, but can't you use a -file command line argument when launching Doom?

At least we now know what HDoomguy's been doing since last year.

./my_doom_sourceport -iwad doom2.wad -file my_mod.wad

If you couldn't tell he was a faggot based on his sprites alone, then you're kinda slow.

…Anyone?