Is that it?

Are these the only top tier gen 8 vidya?

Talking with old uni buddies the topic turned to vidya while shooting the shit at the local pub

What started as a topic about favourite of the last decade turned to 'whats good this gen?'

It basically came down to The Witcher 3, Bloodborne, Splatoon and maybe MGSV if you can deal with gameplay more than unfinished story.

Theres been a few other good games but this was all we could think of that took existing ideas and did something fun and different enough without sacrificing gameplay.

Thats it. 4 games in two years.

Is there anything else from this gen yet thats really been a breath of fresh air?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/M2SHr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

None of those games are good.

Just kill yourself.

was witcher 3 that great? people still talk about the other 3 games you mentioned but i feel like it fell into the same trap of a lot of games with "oh gee we need to make this game so fucking huge for no good reason"

MGSV had a good groundwork, but not enough to make it last like other titles in the series did since not a single area in that game is as impressive or memorable as anything from 1-3

Seriously dude?

Serious shit taste all around.

Fuck you I had fun with Witcher and MGSV.

Bayo 2 looked great and played great but it just repeats a lot of bayo 1 stuff without enough of the new stuff being as good or better. Not a bad sequel but not the "thank fuck dmc isnt spiritually dead at least" the first was.

and i forgot w101 even exists.

MGSV had no ending
Splatoon is alright, I guess
Witcher 3's combat is boring
Bloodborne costs 400+ american dollars

Is that really the best you could come up with, OP?

W101 flopped that's why. It's really a shame too.

It's bait and he's successfully baited seven people, so I'd say he did alright.

The salt over bloodbornes exclusivity doesnt make it a bad game. I didnt go nuclear over not owning an Xbone when KI came out.

Yes. That is the problem here.

Best game this Gen, and its a fucking last gen title

user, Call of Duty isn't in OP's pictures

But really, Splatoon isn't shallow at all, has a bunch of different mechanics, and a lot of charm.

Play older games, problem solved.

So how many people on here actually play Splatoon? Because shallow and limited are the last words I'd use.

I don't know about you guys but I've been sticking with the 3DS and Vita with my PC this gen. None of the new systems seem worth it.

They're both overrated garbage that only got attention due to their exclusivity and lack of games on 8th Gen.

I haven't played bloodborne, but you just summed up my criticism of every "faster" action game ever and exactly what makes the Souls combat good.

Especially the stunlocks. In most fast action games you can stun an enemy with nearly every hit, allowing you to simply combo into them until they wind up their uninturruptable attack, dodge/block and repeat. They get slightly complicated against larger or more enemies, but that still applies to most of the combat.

Worse still, your own character has the health to tank many of these hits, allowing you to brute force spam through large sections of the game without even dodging those uninterruptable attacks.

In Souls, at least the way it's supposed to be, you die in just a couple hits, meaning you don't have room to fuck up, and most enemies do NOT flinch when you attack them unless it's a really slow weapon.

not suprised tbh

What games do you play, user? Tell us so we can understand what a true masterpiece is.

Can a game you cannot play again in some years worth noting?

Where's that picture from?

he can just say Thief or Doom to fit in with the big boys here

faggot

LMAO, fucking nerd

Might as well not exist, ramen diddler

I'll be honest, I've only ever actually played Splatoon with actual children, I haven't owned a Nintendo console since I gave my Wii to a family member.

I've recently been going through the PS2 Ace Combat games lent by a friend and playing Open X-Com.

Yeah man I loved walking through the emptiest open world in gaming history to get to one of the 4 bases on the map where all the missions happen over and over again.

filthy frank pls go, im talking about western retail releases here.

There no current gen game thats actually "good".

Is this bait? MGSV isn't even an 8th gen game but a PS3 game ported to other platforms and it's the worst entry of it's series.

You're talking about MGSV or Witcher 3?

filthy frank likes the yakuza games? that would be cool

but those games are all mediocre

not really, after you complete the first section of the game it's all downhill
You're better off with 1 and 2

Pretty much, they could have cut entire regions from the game like not-Skyrim islands

You could just import it

I mean would you stop a language barrier stop you from playing a fun game? We have the fucking internet and guides for help now.

Yakuza is getting a physical release next year, and the games are way better than MGSV or Splatoon combined. Can't say for Bloodborne or Witcher 3 since I haven't played them.

You're missing absolutely nothing, this console has like 4 fucking games.

None of those are even close to top tier.

At best 'good' (i.e. 7/10).

Same dissapointing viraled shit unfortunately.
They made 2015 from hopeful to shit.

open world has become a pretty big turn off for me in recent years. it's always "woah it's 600 fucking times bigger than the known universe and also skyrim" but it never holds a candle to a linear game with much better level planning

he doesn't like anything japanese, like his fans, ergo he is worthless

It's full of content, but it's only slightly deeper and more interesting than something like Skyrim or Dragon Age Cisquisition. Like, there's shit to do, but none of it is particularly engaging in any groundbreaking way.

The cities are big enough to feel like cities, instead of just being 2 or 3 locations that only exist for the main storyline and then some cardboard facades.

There's a ton of actual landmass and some surrounding waters that you can explore and find all kinds of shit.

The optional dungeons and sidequests are fleshed out pretty nicely and not just full of copy-paste dungeons like skyrim.

But.. There's a ton of busywork in between. You'll spend a lot of time riding through a whole lot of nothing, managing your inventory which has a fucktillion minor items, juggling redundant gear that offers shit like .05 more DPS instead of altering your playstyle in any meaningful way.

It's alright.

Yakuza is good if you like minigames mixed with repetitive beat em up sequences and anime storytelling.

the beat em up sequences are excellent, the games themselves are very exciting

Open world has generally been a pretty poor thing in vidya. Few games can justify using such a 'feature'.

Nah mate, get fucked

Woooo.

I guess but that isnt really saying much.
MGSV has great gameplay and a load of potential to be great but the story is ass and it doesn't have an ending.
Splatoon is fun.
Is Witcher 3 great? as far as modern western RPGs go it's alright but again that aint saying much.
Bloodborne is probably the best out of all of them and honestly the best game in this gen and will probably stay that way.

MH4U, Link between worlds, Gravity Daze, Soul sacrifice are really the only other stand out titles I can think of

This was actually the one thing I thought they did amazingly well, the main city actually felt like a city

Still a very tiny portion of games.

Man, I haven't played Splatoon since launch.
There is apparently ranks higher than A+ and loads of new items and maps right?

Time to dust off that WiiU…

Cherry picking doesn't count for shit user.

And Morrowind had a lot of boring dungeons and empty land. It's really a poor open world game saved by a great setting, solid fluff and good RP mechanics.

Something that really blows my mind about MGSV is the complete lack of boss battles which are so iconic to the series asides from the piss easy Sahelanthropus fight. I mean even Peace Walker had a bunch of great battles.

You make an entry on a series and cut one of the parts that people like the most about it, cut most of the 80s movie inspired dialogue and political critic. Just a boring dry husk of something people liked.

It's because people don't know how to do it well compared to something like even the PS2 GTAs. They just think now "lets make the world super huge!" but there not only jackshit to do in it, its unfun to get around in as well because of how long it takes. It also doesn't help that sometimes they add collectables that don't do shit besides give you a worthless achievement, instead of rewarding you for doing sidequests/getting collectables with cool weapons, health boosts, experience points, ect.

I disagree, the beat em up sequences are fun because of all the weapons and moves you have at your disposal, battles are also short as well so it doesn't get that annoying. It's also more closer to a crime drama, which I'm a fan of.

But I like it mainly because it's a fun video game and just wants to be that, and doesn't shove in shit like unskippable cutscenes or moments where you're forced to walk down a straight hallway while some character gives you exposition.

I honestly think it was an open world thing. A HIND D style fight? GG faggot im gonna call in peqoud and ride off like a fag singing kids in america, see you on the other side of the map when i can call in another chopper to repeat.

Also SoC > CoP. CoP actually makes pretty poor use of its open world being both empty and limited in its few non-empty locations which are all pretty locked down. With the exception of Pripyat you'll only see the same respawning groups of AI fighting in the same few areas outside of missions.

Arguably JC2 and, to a lesser extent, SA are really sandboxes too rather than open world games (or at least they push right up on the line between the two).

soc isn't really open world, it's a bunch of strictly controlled, disconnected maps where some enemies roam around with very basic behavior and some don't.

Even then, it does a good job of showing all the problems with open world design. Inconsequential outdoor spaces, empty interiors, and rarely introducing and implementing effective game place concepts.

You sound like someone who is just wowed by having a big level to be in, regardless of how little there actually is.

Barely any games were Open World before this fucking trend thought.
There were plenty of none mainstream titles though.

AAA Open World equals Ubisoft levels of shallow nowadays.
Shit like Might and Magic 6 Mandate of Heaven and Mafia were great.
I can understand being sick of this shitty trend that doesnt do the kind of world justice, but theres plenty of good games that use it out there.

You fags are talking like I never played ShoC or dont think its the superior game in the franchise.
Its atmosphere, pacing and introduction to the setting are untmatched.

CoP is still great regardless.

Though come to think of it picrelated is a pretty great example of how you should do open world. It's exactly as large as it needs to be.

SoC is hardly strictly controlled in comparison to CoP. You're more likely to see variation anyway.

Again more true of CoP than SoC. SoC is actually fairly highly populated in vanilla.

Open world games have been around since at least the early 2000s. In those 15 years open world has more often been a detriment to the games that have pushed it as a feature. Semi-linear maps with a degree of player freedom (Thief is a perfect example) are generally superior.

Mafia 1 is the tits though.

It does a much poorer job of using the open world idea. I'll agree it has it's positive parts (again Pripyat) but most of the first two areas is walking backwards and forwards through the same fairly empty map.

Just as long as you understand clear sky was fucking schwarbage.

the problems are consistent in the series, and show the shortcomings of open world first design. If the first thing on your list of things to put in your game are "big open world" you may not even have anything past that because your game will be shit regardless

Practically every build in Bloodborne is a glass cannon, so that's not an issue here.

In theory the slow sword-and-board style of Souls would be better than that, except that in practice it means an overwhelming majority of enemy encounters can be dealt with by baiting an attack with your shield held up, then punishing when the enemy is briefly stunned. The shields in Souls are ridiculously overpowered.

CS has some good ideas buried somewhere in the shit. I'd like to see the swamps revisited as an environment certainly.

SoC can hardly be accused of strictly controlled maps or inconsequential spaces. Both are certainly problems in CoP and indeed in most open world games but I really fail to see how they apply here. Even empty interiors is a reach as having them any busier than they were would really hurt the game's atmosphere. I'm not sure what an 'effective game place concept' even means either.

I agree completely with this though. Open world should be used as a tool, not a feature in and of itself. If the use of an open world in a game can't be justified outside of 'open worlds are big' it shouldn't be in the game.

I could cut away the chunks of the maps that go unused in stalker soc and it would be pretty much the same game. I'd like to do that some time

It depends if its done right or not, which most times its not.
I fucking despise Bioshock and the new Thief for example.
Like I said, its not about the genre itself, its the devs, look at Ghotic 1 and 2 and the look at 3 for example.

Nigger, ShoC makes you backtrack trought the same linear areas countless times.
At least CoP gives you the choice of what path to take and which missions to complete, and CoP gives you the option of fast travelling to certain locations if you find a willing S.T.A.L.K.E.R, or did you miss that?

CS was GSCs attempt at trying to pull a Call of Duty like every fucking developer at that shitty time.

Could do the same with MGSV

Did Call of Duty have magical homing grenades?

then go ahead, point is open world first design is shit. witcher 3 also suffered, but that also had retarded, amateurish mechanical issues in it.

They are now thanks to Ubisoft

Play WaW on Hard mode

That said, does Super Mario 3D World count? It was pretty nice, though I dunno if it's top tier, per se.

At least pick something decent like Mario Maker

Where? The only place that seems massively underused is the Military Warehouses. Remove too much of the other maps and you lose the atmosphere of the game as the illusion of a world not designed purely for as a playground for the player goes away (not to mention you lose out on places to find artefacts of let the AI interact with shit).

Open world isn't a genre though. In fact that very mentality is what causes shitty open world games. Open world is merely a feature of a game and as such needs to be justified by weighing up the costs and the benefits of adding it.

I'd hardly say countless. I can think of maybe 2-3 times you'll pass the same areas unless you feel like spamming side missions.

If you want to do all of the missions you'll spend most of the game walking backwards and forwards from the one fucking base in each map. You'll end up visiting each location once for its side mission and that's it. SoC at least makes more efficient use of its locations. Sure you can skip the side missions but then the game is excessively short.

I'm well aware of it but you'll still be walking back afterwards at the very least. The first two areas of CoP feel very much like video game maps set up for the benefit of the player. SoC feels like an actual living place in which you happen to be one man doing shit (albeit an important man). I've heard people describe CoP as feeling 'plastic' and I think this is why.

CoD 2 and every game after (which all use the same fucking engine anyway).

Also here I need to point out when I say you can skip SoC's side missions I mean the randomly generated ones and the semi-random 'kill this stalker' missions. They're really just filler and the game has plenty to do without them including proper manually designed side content which you'll find as you follow the path of the story.

CoP has almost nothing but side missions and skipping them leaves you with basically 6 helicopter fetch quests. Again Pripyat is great but before you get there the game is a disappointment (though I still enjoyed it well enough and it's hardly terrible).

I'm hoping Wormwood/Redux 2.0 will help solve these issues by making the maps more interesting and more alive but we'll see. Misery was looking good until it came out after all.

you forgot ratchet and clank and also metal gear can't be on any games lists because it's not finished. can't judge anything on it's incomplete version

What would an anti-Donkey Kong edgy type of character called?
Decay

I said genre because I dont know what else to call it.
World design?
Fuck it, world design it is.

Nigger, its more than that, around 6 times no less and Im not talking about secondary ruble making missions.
Late game is a pain in the ass since you have to get to the Freedom base after clearing out the Monolith base else you're fucked during the final push to the zone, centre Pripyat is also fucking garbage and its empty as hell besides the decodifier Map tells you about.

Its true that ShoC is much more fluid and overall a better experience but CoP adresses plenty of complaints about the first game with its Open World design while creating other issues, specially due to pace.
Thats bullshit, if you want to clear all the missions and get the better loot/armor/weapons you will visit them some countless times, some are completely ignored unfortunately, but somehow I prefer it that way, it just lets you explore the environment which is something they should have done from the get go and that plagues modern game design.

Fucking quest markers

No.

Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Dark Souls 3
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Hotline Miami 2
Wolfenstein: The New Order

Don't forget these

I'm pretty sure most of those games had PC versions

I like Hitman early access.

That fact you choose to post Sophie of lazy town is a prefect allegory for gaming.

She got into crack cocaine and arrested for prostitution.

SMT IV was a step back.

Damn really? That was my little sister's favorite cartoon.

There are so few games and absolutely nothing groundbreaking that i still feel this gen hasnt even started when it probably is already ending since PCs will get a HUGE bump in power next year and consoles will definetly want to catch up.

Contrary to what people say, consoles do fucking hold back PC.

Hold on a sec. I could swear an user showd me her curriculum vitae online and she was specialized in taking care of child and sopr-like activites, aka waifu material.

I honestly dont think SMTIV was as bad as Holla Forums said it was but it was vastly inferior to the PS2 and DS games. Shit endings, god awful new demon/angel designs and DLC fuckery holds it back a lot.

agreed 100%

wasteland 2 was a piece of shit

That user was wrong about BB, you can't just "dodge spam".

Good games

Out of these, are any considered to be an all-time must play classic?

When was the last all-time must play classic?

This is why I built my PC with a budget CPU/mb/gpu gaming parts— 3 years from now I bet this list is at 6-7 really good games (but not all time great games). I upgrade when there is something worth upgrading to.

I'd say Bloodborne is the closest modern thing to castlevania like how shovel knight is basically mega man.

are those red noses edited in?

Absolutely nothing plays like Splatoon, it's the most refreshing shooter I've played in years. It's locked to a shitty consoles and isn't completely flawless so I'd have a hard time saying it's an all time must play.

no u

I can maybe understood Splatoon but not MGSV or Witcher 3

Has this generation really lasted for 3 years?

8th generation?

ARMA III >>>> MGS V

Red Orchestra II >>>> Slapcuck

Mount and Blade 2 >>>>> Blood Souls

I don't know, but I guess even Fallout 4 has less bugs than Witcher 3.

Bannerlord isn't even out you dolt. And you're all setting yourselves up for disappointment hyping it up so hard when all it's going to be is a prettier warband.

I mean Warband.

Poor taste.
The exact inverse is true retard, this should be obvious by the fact that it's a Bethesda game alone.

Oh, my bad.
How is Warband M&B2?

W3 is one of the best games released past decade, it delivered in spades and buckets.
All the other games were meh, like 3rd-4th best games in their respective series.

Because it had new campaigns and MP.

it had shit aesthetics
Hell, MP3 is better tbh.

Both are buggy, but at least FO4 was an improvement over previous FO's.

Thinking about what it could have been makes me feel hollow inside. Sure it's good, call it a personal hangup regarding a game that promised something big, and then won a bunch of saccharine thank-you awards from the american industry for not rocking the status quo, letting what we're meant to believe are the competition continue to get away with mediocrity.

Factually incorrect.

Looks like jordyn jones meets cartoon netwoork. Shut up pedo.

I'm sorry you can only play mature games for mature gamers fam.
I heard there's a neat place for people like you though…
>>>/reddit/

Have you played it? I think you haven't, because at 50 vit (which is le meta) you can tank pretty much everything all the way to NG+7

that is some low level bait. 1/10

are you really that dumb

The only top any of them can have hopes for having is top overrated.

That's because that user is full of shit. The only source that exists about the prostitution thing was a joke.

archive.is/M2SHr

did you fall for marketing targeted at children? are you a fanboy from nintendo's "glory" days?

whats your reason user?

If you put 50 points into vitality you are a fucking moron.

fun, non-brown, family-oriented entertainment. it's marketed towards children and so receives different and often unique games for it.

bad troll. basic logic defeats your argument. spend more time going for subtler, longer tactics to get the maximum possible rustles out of the target's jimmies.

try going for arguments that either cannot be refuted without being opinionated, or will reveal something about the target that they would rather not talk about, thereby making them not want to rightfully engage in the rustling; which usually prolongs it.

look into logical fallacies. good luck, nubtroll

Haha, what?

Wew lad.

Wii U had some good games early on. Frozen Dong, Mario Maker, Splatoon, etc. But now that Iwata is gone the whole thing has turned to shit. We got Star Fox Mediocre and Paper Mario: Casual Splash.

8th gen is going to go down in history as the generation where the "safe and standard, low risk" aspect of game designed peaked.

With Battlefield 1 and COD Infinite Welfare, we're starting to see the transition from low risk rehashing to high risk innovation. The two are not massively different, but they are starting to make changes that could be better or worse. It's going to get interesting as things go on, because the low risk stuff isn't selling or satisfying consumers that much now, and the high risk stuff will definitely drive some franchises or even studios out of business.

Splatoon more or less encouraged it, because it was a high risk game that did a lot of stuff that was pretty new, and it was very successful.

"i didnt buy it because i fell for marketing targeted at kids, i bought it because it has colorful kids games!"

"Basic logic!"

LOL. Sonyggers are really desperate huh? This gen is a complete failure. The best system is still the WiiU. Let the sentence sink in. The best system is still the WiiU.

Fucking stop it with this shit, and WW1 doesn't make Battlefield 1 an innovator either, it's going to be BF4 in WW1.

Never stopped since ps3.

cmon, ps4 lives up to the name. it has 4 worthwhile games.

mfw this is the first I've heard of "battlefield 1"

Interesting. I have a feeling it's just gonna be battlefield 4 with ww1 guns. The problem with WW1 games is that you can't make them realistic in the modern military shooter form. Maybe they'll take inspiration from what they did with BC2 and make it a little slower.

Probably not. They'll just go the copout route and make all the missions and maps based on special ops. I won't buy it. These simple multiplayer games aren't worth the price tag + 40 USD of DLC.

Is it really worth 100+ USD to you? shitloads of DLC on those cashcows turns me off from even looking at them.

I remember back when they had that call of duty multiplayer bundle on steam; it was somewhere between 300-999 USD. I'm not a good enough goy for that

I know it's not a huge shift, but compared to the shit that COD and BF usually throw out, it's a tiny improvement showing that it's going in a different direction and the old way of just throwing out the same generic shit isn't cutting it. Those are pretty normalfag games.

I don't expect them to be completely different. I"m referring to the fact that they came out and basically admitted they can't just resell another modern shooter and have it do well.

They throw out pseudo-realistic shitty war shooters.
How is this going to be any different? Because of the setting?

Was Disgaea 5 any good? That's the only exclusive other than Bloodborne that interests me at all.

Its just a matter if developers are going to make PC EXCLUSIVE games that explore that extra power before new consoles come out, because right now PCs are, of course, way stronger than consoles BUT have the same level of tech, if you get what im saying, so the lazy fuckers only make ports with some extras options

They are doing that, they picked 1918 because it was late war and their had been a ton of prototype weapons that they will probably use to make it closer to the the generic shooter gameplay.

KEK
E
K

Those game are all shit user.

Be gentle, this gen was his first.

Well consoles is where the money is at.

And PC gamers WILL take their ports and be grateful because what else they gonna do? Play their non existent PC exclusives?

Look, if you want reaction pics just say so.

Still playing PS3 JRPGs. Fuck this gen.

Yeah I was being a bitch. PC has cool games like TitS.

All the triple A trash focuses on consoles though.

What are you talking about? They're excellent games.

What a tremendous loss.

people shouldnt even call it PC gaming anymore. most "PC Gamers" are just fucking steam fanboys and its sad.

luckily the best steam games are available without steam.. or a steam-like application. but theyre usually far from being the most popular.

(not that that is a bad thing) i dont need normalfags fucking up my games

So people who play Stellaris are doing what?

Like all other Disgaeas, the mechanics become better with each iteration but the plot is unable to capture the magic of the original.

If you like Disgaea though, you'll probably like five too, more grinding with better mechanics. You know what to expect, It's a really solid Disgaea.

Just duck your head before the NISA hating crowd finds you.

remove the two shit ones and arguably splatoon and then you'll have a proper list, at least for anyone who can stomache the framerate

well the OG Mount & Blade came out before it, so people who played a lot of it before warband might refer to warband as a sequel

I like shekel souls 3 but BB is quite a bit better than it aside from the dogshit framerate

You listed 6, I'd say that 6 counts as "few" within the scope of how many of these games get made.

That said you forgot to mention Gothic 2 and Mountain Blade

wwwwwwwwww

censoredblade is good tier if you aren't an americuck and Fallout 4 wasn't that bad, it was just a mediocre adventure/shooter that happened to have some stuff related to the Fallout universe in it despite not actually being a Fallout game

To badd nobody on this fucking board will play with Ms.

It's a lie. She knows about the rumour though, made a post about it on Kikebook.

Europoors have the americuck version too, The only good version is the glorious nippon version