Is he the original Ken Penders?

Is this guy the Ken Penders of ducks?

Other urls found in this thread:

volafile.org/get/mAjISy52tnv_/The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck.7z
volafile.org/get/niV9LM2VIr0-/The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck.7z
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Was he behind the dozen or so different duck comics that are really popular in Europe? It was weird finding out there were so many characters that were essentially OC Donut Steel Donald Duck.

Wait, Ducktales and Uncle Scrooge etc were not offical Donald Duck productions, just very near-the-knuckle ripoffs?
My mind's fucking blown.

Don Rosa's really autistic about the internal consistency of the Scrooge/Donald lore, I think what he means is that the original Ducktales took a lot of liberties with that consistency and the new one simply shits all over it.

Maui Mallard was Donald Duck acting, the american release just didn't mention Donald for whatever reason

No, this guy has talent.

That's the spanish word for chili. The guy know his stuff.

I didn't know about that, but I'm not familiar with the comics, save for a couple of Donald Duck/Darkwing Duck ones that came out with a Diznee magazine many years ago. Is there really that much of a difference?

That is one butthurt sign.

So did they steal this mans IP by changing it slightly?

Even if it is within the law it is still cruel. Thinking up an idea for a cartoon isn't hard.

I'm getting interjection vibes from those signs.

What's next, "I made this comic when Walt's was wearing diapers!"

Those are some fucking nice peppers.

Barks and Rosa are basically the only good Donald Duck comic authors, unless you're some kind of Italian.

What I wanna know is: How the fuck is it that Howard the Duck could ever exist despite Beth such a clear design rip off?

The funny thing is that Barks himself was not consistent at all.

Not at all. Guy's actually very respectful of Carl Banks' lore. The Eisner-winning life and times of Uncle Scrooge is basically him taking those comics and wrangling them into a continuity of sorts. He's also not that full of himself from what I've seen.

Also, fuck off to the guy comparing him to Penders. Rosa's been putting his sweat and blood into makin those comics, only ending when he had to deal with both his eye injury and Disney's jewy treatment of his labor.

I've once heard of him comparing Ducktales like comparing Aquaman's history to Aquaman from the Super Friends. Fun in its own way, but loosely based.

Disney threatened to sue Marvel unless they changed the design. Now that Disney own Marvel, Howard the Duck is required to wear trousers

The pants thing was before Disney owned Marvel. In the 70s, after Steve Gerber left the book, Disney threatened to sue Marvel unless they changed the design of Howard the Duck. Interestingly, part of their demands were that Marvel change the design of Howard the Duck to match a character sheet Disney's own artists provided.

Marvel capitulated completely and that's how Howard got pants.

Wait I'm confused.
Can someone explain to me what's the deal with ducks, Disney, Carl Banks and Don Rosa?

You said everything I just said apart from the character sheet part. Learn to read.

What is it with people with talent and crippling autism?

As far as I can tell, the guy who created the Scrooge McDuck and his Nephews going on adventurers concept is an assblasted sperg who doesn't like that the Ducktales cartoon is a perfect 1-to-1 recreation of his work.

I honestly thought he died, shows you how little of a shit people actually give about the comics.
Also I hate to break it to him, but once Disney buys your shit from you, they own that shit till the day you fucking die. And if it wasn't for Ducktales, nobody would know who Scrooge is and who Donald's nephews were, that show introduced those characters to a wider audience and made them household names.
And no, he's not the Ken Penders of Ducks, he's the John K of Ducks.

Maybe he is tired of people making the same comparison over and over again.

Carl Barks invented the extended duck family. He was one of the first people to create Donald Duck comics.
Don Rosa forged them into a continuity, faithful to Barks. It caught on in a lot of countries, but not particularly in the US.
Ducktales is based on Barks's characters but changes them substantially. If you go into Rosa's or Barks's work expecting Ducktales, or vice versa, you'll be disappointed, so it's good to make the distinction.

Here in the Netherlands (and in a lot of other European countries too) the Barks/Rosa version of the Ducks is incredibly popular and nobody has heard of Ducktales. That was the case long before Ducktales even existed. He has a lot of fame and fans, but most of them outside the US.

Why didn't it catch up in the US? was it a lack of distribution or people simply didn't give a shit?
It's weird to know that Ducktales is not equally as popular everywhere. It's pretty much a staple cartoon for nostalgiafags at least here in Mexico. I guess this is true for the comics in Europe?

Don Rosa didn't create Scrooge McDuck, you stupid nigger.

Outside of the USA, nobody gives a fuck about Ducktales. Pretty much every country in Europe has a local Donald Duck comic magazine that comes out on a weekly or montly basis. New duck stories are still being written, but these magazines will still reprint Carl Barks and Don Rosa stories on a fairly regular basis. The comic ducks are pretty different from the cartoon ducks and many people are more familiar with the comics than they are the cartoons.

How monumentally retarded do you have to be?
Banks invented Scrooge, and in a time where Disney didn't allow artists to be credited in their comics, he was singularly talented enough for people ro know which works he did, referring to him as 'the duck artist'. It was banks and rosa's success which encouraged investors to make a Ducktales cartoon.
I don't know what happened post WW2 that made the US stop liking Donald more than Mickey.

In Germany the comics have been around since 1951 and thanks to Italy we are still getting new releases every month.
Ducktales on the other hand was running from 1989 - 90. Of course it reaired a few times, but there was no new content. People are kind of nostalgic for it, but barely anyone remembers anything of it, but the title theme. The German dub also is pretty bad.

No, Barks was "The Good Duck Artist".

I've always wanted to read the life and times of scrooge mcduck but I have never found a good scan of it, can anyone storytime it?

I don't have the time for that now, but here is a download link.
volafile.org/get/mAjISy52tnv_/The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck.7z

Thanks dude.

What the fuck?

You realize that Donald predates DuckTales by decades, right?

The life and times of Scrooge McDuck

I always enjoy the Life and Times, no matter how many times I read it. They really should place A Letter From Home as the final comic though, its the perfect epilogue for it.

The Old Castle's Other Secret
or
A Letter From Home
or
Scrooge McDuck Finds Jew Gold

Whatever you say, Don.

I was reading a comic from the 70s, I think they were translated to German from Italian.

Donald aka The Duck Avenger (Phantomias in the German version) gets competition from Super Daisy (Phantomime in the German version). In that comic, Daisy meets with a radical feminist, whines about men and Scrooge is super out of character sexist in it.
In her alter ego, she calls herself "Phantomime the feminist".
After she solves the case and proves to Phantomias that she's capable of doing stuff, he has to admit that women aren't bad at fighting villains.

Right after that, in an awfully drawn comic that's 4 pages long, Donald saves Daisy from a mouse or spider (which I even think is a fake one Donald uses), so she apologizes that women need men.

Point is:

Why aren't the Donald Duck comics popular in the USA? I really can't understand it, considering how good the Barks/Rosa stories are.

A few reasons, probably.

Most of us Burgers stop caring when the comic isn't capeshit. It's why most graphic novels are considered worthless to the average american normalfag.

Hey he got fucked over by the one company that any little boy or girl who sees it gets reminded of the one company that fucked him over. I would be a little bitch about it too.

I don't think that's it. It seems more like he just got tired of people thinking what he made is Ducktales.
It reads just like a Stallman rant, but Stallman doesn't think Linux is actually bad.

Could someone please repost the download of The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck? I missed it during the two day period it was active.

kek

volafile.org/get/niV9LM2VIr0-/The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck.7z

This forced meme isn't even funny.

Thanks a lot. It even has some stories not in the thread.

What meme?

Thanks for the storytime, OP.
Second time rereading Life and Times, but enjoyed it all the same.

bump

I met him a few weeks ago in Norway. Was to his panel too. I got a poster for the Three Caballeros, and he wrote my name wrong by accident (even though I had written it up for him, I guess he was just going so fast), so I was given a second poster, and got to keep both of them. He was such a friendly man. I wish he was my uncle, I'd visit him all the time. Fun fact, Don Rosa owns thirty -30- license plates with the license number "COMIC" on them.
I can't believe Don Rosa isn't more popular in the USA. The nerve of some people, just selling stuff he signed on ebay like it's nothing. I'm never selling my posters. Gonna frame them tomorrow and hang them up finally. I have this nice spot on the wall, right above where my PC is. It'll look great, and really liven up the place. His chillies were really tasty too, was perfect in a few omelettes.

Hey Holla Forums

The comic scene suffered in the 90's when there was a failed attempt to corner the market on the distributors That in turn led to limiting both the reach and the niche that comics could find.

Having a read a good handful of Don Rosa's Duck stories over the Christmas break, I'd just like to say: Fuck You.
Don Rosa has more talent and creativity in his little finger than that shitty hack with his awful OCs ever had in his entire bloated corpse.

He was right about DuckTales too.