I just finished this after playing dual strike my god what a jump in quality

I just finished this after playing dual strike my god what a jump in quality.

Also Advance Wars thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=92gkDRj3yyE
strategywiki.org/wiki/Advance_Wars:_Days_of_Ruin/Regional_Differences
youtu.be/eJzp-w8Zuak
gamefaqs.com/ds/943675-advance-wars-days-of-ruin/faqs/51609
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The best character in the entire series

I fucking love Hiroaki's art.

Surely you mean a jump backwards. Aside from muh story, it was a regression in every possible way gameplay and content wise.

It's a great game, but I still prefer the goofiness of the first three.

Don't you remember just saving up dual power ups in dual strike and wiping an entire map with it? That shit got old real fast at least days of ruin had a more constant flow in the fights

Days of Ruin went too far with it by severely nerfing regular CO powers.

Day of ruin had naval warfare, more units.

Only less thing was the shitter animation.

Duel strikes were OP, but CO powers didnt feel all that useful in DoR. Hopefully the next Wars game will find a balance. I'm kidding I know the franchise is dead

The next one huh
[/spoiler] No Will.. don't come.. back for me.. Stay away. Look at that it looks like the sun [spoiler]

fuck

You need to go back. Our peaceful board doesn't need people like you

At least Batallion Wars was decent, right? no bully pls.

nice dubs

You better have played the European translation and not the one by Treehouse/8-4 fucko.

The story isn't even bad, it's just average by anime standards, and the art isn't that bad, though lack of actual animation and sprites is saddening.

Why do people knock Days of Ruin so much?

Because it tries to be edgier like DmC.

Also it's not the same as the last three broken as fuck games, so it's bad.

story improved, gamplay dropped.

They will make a million increasingly waifu-ised Fire Emblems before making another Advanced Wrs

Please go back to where ever you came from

So stay exactly where i am? Alright.

War of the Human Tanks already has that covered, though.

WHY
WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GET TRIPS
NOW IT'LL HAPPEN

JUST

Everyone must suffer

What the fuck are those abominations. Those aren't tanks.

You know it will happen

I know, they're not even remotely trying like KanColle, either. Pic related is a battle scene.

I tried to play this once, and couldn't even figure out what I was doing.

No, it doesn't, those look like absolutely generic moeshit garbage with no imagination in character design what so ever. They look like shit I'd find casually scrolling the weeb portion of deviantart.

There are some nice designs here and there that might cater for your tastes/fetishes, but then there are other 373662 girls that look completely generic appearance and personality-wise, that's why I sometimes like the Abyss girls more at times, at least the edgy designs are kinda cool.

Days of Ruin was so good. The fantastic blend of srs bizness, sentimental moments and carefully placed humor most of all in the War Room segments made me care far more Brenner's Wolves and their mishmash underdog army just trying to get by after the apocalypse than I ever did for the majority of nurutu. Edgy done right.

It also had some pretty good tracks and all kinds of fun shit you could do with new objects and units.

It's called Dark Conflict americuck, i bet you enjoyed that meme anime translation.

Loved the soundtrack to this game.

Because they hate how you couldn't just wait for your CO power to charge.

That's exactly what I thought of the game

Is the EU translation better?

So you don't know shit you're talking about and think murican localization always butchered games as badly as Fates.

Like clockworks.

I never liked FE.

I played both

The european translation is more faithful to the japanese script while the american is unnecesarily over the top and turns several characters into anime stereotypes.

So you are an idiot since you played DoR and still think that.

youtube.com/watch?v=92gkDRj3yyE
Just play Dark Conflict

It's a common known fact about Advanced Wars you idiots.

Well, we can waifu-ize it… see how well it worked with Faia Embremu.

It's just a matter of time, trips of truth.

You're the only fucking idiots here. You've shown me nothing wrong with Days of Ruin's translation and even shown me in areas how it's clearly better than Dark Conflict's. Are you that asshurt about the current garbage state of localization you're so desperate to demonize an actual competent one from years ago?

Well now I'm conflicted, because I honestly can't imagine Jake of DS not being a shitty metalhead with a mysterious talent for war, or Will of DoR not being a campy shonen protagonist that gets picked on and teased by every girl he meets in the War Room.

Advance Wars was always anime inspired, from the GBA days to DoR. What the actual fuck were you playing that you looked at the character designs and spritework, and didn't see it?

I loved Will's theme and the No CO theme. The Beast had one hell of a theme song, too bad he wasn't a CO. I would play him all day.

It's shit deal with it.

Retards will destroy their own arguments. Give up now.

COs got nerfed, I miss the old characters, and it's not as colorful. Other than that, it's an improvement on the series, and if it has to be the last one, at least it's good.

You're pathetic. You can't argue worth shit and I've blown your cover, so now all you can do is shitpost in defiance.

Just fuck off.

Stay salty mang

All you're doing is making yourself look worse.

DoR has more personality, is more subtle with lines in comparison and feels more like actual people talking. You just call it shit without any argument for "anime stereotypes" or memes and now all you can do is shitpost and you have the nerve to say I'm in denial.

Are you done acting retarded yet?

I'm just pointing it out. I don't know why you're still being such a faggot.

Perhaps you are right.
Changing and adding stuff as well as more substance to an original script is not really my thing even if it improves over the original. I takea more faithful translation over an "improvement" any day.

Even the damn charts mention the poor NA translations you fucking newfag, do you even come to these threads often?

Why are you so autistic?

Nobody talked to you, shoo shoo.

Then why the hell did you shitpost like that? I feel the west for better or worst was just naturally prepared to localize a darker and grittier installment like this and you can see that element in a tired but heroic and optimistic soldier like Brenner's dialogue. I'm not shitting on the original text, but Dark Conflict feels so unnatural and as if they have to hit you over the head with everything that everyone is feeling.

You're just parroting whatever other people said about it and don't have argument for this particular translation being bad, so fuck off.

Except that I'm not, please try again.
The NA release was unfaithful and therefore shit.
strategywiki.org/wiki/Advance_Wars:_Days_of_Ruin/Regional_Differences
(you)

Holy shit I bet you bought XCX and Fates too.

I don't approve of it, but that does not undermine the quality of the writing for this particular game. There's none of the cancerous shit that Treehouse does today.

Fuck off already. You're both being complete idiots.

Post your favorite CO themes.

Just different names?

Wew, it says the plot is still the same.

Played sasha the most so and the song still plays in my head so
youtu.be/eJzp-w8Zuak

my nigga

How did you beat Caulder? For years those fucking mortars tore through any force I tried to make.

One day last year I had the idea to dedicate everything to stealing the factory and airport Calder had along with making sure any possible infantry units were destroyed as well desperately cranking out direct or indirect attack units to fend him off until I finally gained enough time to build an overwhelming army.

bombers and medium tanks to keep ground AA at bay

also take those damned airports

It is actually more then that. Certain characters are changed.
Penny talking to Mr. Bear only happens in the US version, and Lin is quite snarky compared to her more serious self.
Which one you prefer is up to you. I like stuff from both translations, though.

I really liked that it added more defining characteristic of how twisted Caulder was

For 90% of the fight I only had my forces on my own territory fighting bravely to hold it and destroy the infantry while the main struggle was all the way at the end of the map with the factory and airport Caulder starts out with. For a full hour I did everything I could to form a wall around my sole wounded Bike as they slowly captured the factory.

Don't bother getting control of it your going to skirmish back and forth just control most of the production buildings and rush out towards his lab with bombers the quicker the easier the fight

You've got some options.
You can Bomber rush like it's AW2 again. Build tanks and a couple AA guns while your infantry and bikes take over cities, then build your bomber fleet and throw them into lasers and mortars and shit.

Or do a slow push from the left despite all the mortars and lasers. The right side is purely diversionary, but if you're smart and brave, you can build an early bomber and pair him up with a light tank, an artillery unit, and bike units and try to destroy the rotating laser cannon on the right side before Caulder can get in his Duster squadron to fuck up all your shit. Most of the time, though, you're going to slowly lose that front. You can try to send B-copters and Dusters from the southern airport on the left and use that factory you start with on the right to churn out mechs and AA guns to make the loss as slow as possible. The middle lasers can be taken care of with your main forces on the left.

If you want to try and stop the mortars from ruining your advance, you can try building a diversionary force and parking them on cities so they repair after getting hit. You can then bring in those units at 7 HP to join up with your units on the vanguard to keep the front lines fresh enough to sustain a push.

You probably didn't get much of a Speed rating then. Caulder will fuck your shit up. The best you can do is try to keep enough anti-air around to kill his CO unit after he jumps into your army. That means you have to keep his overall unit count low, so he doesn't get to Hyper Upgrade them every turn. He doesn't start with a lot of property, and even after some time passes, him spending on getting a CO unit is big. Focus on just blowing up those lasers ASAP, because trying to advance through Caulder's CO zone into his territory as Will is very, very tough.

I guess when it goes THAT far, then yes localization is shit.

Like unit name slight changes? Thats not much of a big deal. But if certain characters are changed then its a problem, no matter if its better or for worse.

Well, it's how I was able to finally win. Every other strategy I tried with rushing Bombers or just building a strong defense crumbled because of those goddamn mortars coupled with Caulder spamming every unit's worst nightmares as if he was psychic.

Those things gave me vidya PTSD. They're completely broken.

My brother got S Rank with less than 10 days on his first try the year the game released. My final count was around 50 near the end of last summer.

At least I'm better at Waylon Flies Again than him.

It is and I have no tolerance for the kind of shitty massive changes in murican translations nowadays.

But for Days of Ruin at least years ago localization was only for the better.

How about it has far less content, no decent Hard campaign, less mechanics and less characters?

You really do want to try and destroy that right laser cannon ASAP. Send the units that begin on that side to start fighting Caulder's weak starting units and churn out cheap, fast units until you've got enough for that bomber. One B-copter can convince Caulder to build an AA gun, which is a good thing since tanks, even at 5 HP, at a good match against them. That and B-copters are always useful. There have been times when I've been able to set up an artillery unit in range of the right side laser, and I used my crippled light tanks and bikers to buy time for the artillery to destroy it. Don't just sit there taking mortar fire and getting nothing for it. Try slowing down Caulder's captures. It's best if you can cripple an infantry unit to 1 or 2 HP so it'll take him forever to finish the job.

The left side is easier since you've got Will and a good army ready to destroy the four lasers.

The graphic presentation was just awful in general, I particularly didn't like how animesque characters sat right next to american comic book tier machos.

Dual power ups were extremely overpowered, real niggas keep it one CO. Even so, it was still loads of fun.

He's the second best character next to the nigger, doctor phil-esque guy making bad puns while people are dying

Also reminder that there's a guy whose sole purpose in life is to mod AW2 into being totally radicool

Never knew that.

Oh, god. I'm having my Days of Ruin PTSD!

The main thing that bugs me about Days of Ruin is that some characters design seem out of place, especially the ladies.
All in all, still my favorite Advance Wars game.

Dr. Morris was no nigger, faggot. He was a wacky, but smart compassionate man who really lightened everyone's spirits up.

The Beast is what you call a nigger.

And Mayor was shit turned into a literal meme.

Wow look, projecting about projecting. Hilarious considering how I proved you wrong and you had no argument other than "hurr u have no argument"
Why is it ok when Day of Ruin has pointless fucking changes but not Xenoblade X.

Noice.

The pointless changes are in the European version, though.

Fucking noobs

That's true, but it's a lot more faithful to the original game than the NA version.

What if I told you all of Holla Forums's childhood favorites were localized in similar ways?

I never finished it, couldn't handle the change in tone.

I agree with both of you. Dual Strike was retardedly OP and made the game moot as it all ended up depending on who hits DS first.
But Days of Ruin feels like shit and it's too much nofun. I started with the campaing and felt literally no difference between CO's

This gem right here remains the best of the saga
Also muh lash

This is probably the biggest problem with DoR. The single player mode does an extremely poor job of showing the player how much the game mechanics have improved. COs are introduced way too late into the campaign, the level design is just too easy for them to ever really matter, and the AI is too clueless to apply them for itself. You had to have played with other people, which was a hassle since it was a niche series to begin with and all the normalfags were shitting themselves over how it wasn't another rehash.

Not this one though.

I do not know if it is me but I wished they added experience units, like you can carry them on from previous missions and the more experienced they are the slightly better they are.

I wish infantry soldiers can bunker down and build trenches and gain Def. There needs to be IFV like a Lav/Puma's. I hate the idea of the mega super tank. So stupid. There needs to be a unit where you can plant mines both sea and land. Of course there is a way you can remove them and that's by getting certain units to have a slight upgrade.

For instance you can use a upgrade for infantry that has better armor against other infantry. Another one could be a anti tank weapons upgrade like the javelin. Exoskeleton where move 1 space faster.

Reminder that the JP release of Dark Conflict was delayed multiple times before being outright cancelled despite the US/EU versions have a full JP script on the cart.

Reminder that nips had to wait over 5 years for Nintendo to finally release it… as a Club Nintendo Platinum reward (exclusive) on the 3DS eShop.

One of the very few examples of nips getting utterly fucked and not the other way around.

Feels good.

That's probably why no AW has come out yet

Literally it's one bigass open field with some self-spawning units when you can control a good chunk of the map from the get-go. There's no chokes, the cannons fire in a very easy to understand and avoidable pattern and you can even clear most of them from a safe position.

How id that happen? Wasn't the game made in Japan?

No official reason given, but most people assume it was because of the earthquakes. Well, that and Nintendo being retarded with the whole "oh it's too late now the DS is already on its way out!" shit.

And they got that reward a mere few months before Gamespy fuckery causes the Nintendo Wifi Connection servers to die.

Should I be having this problem, Holla Forums?

Being right is a problem?

AW2 looked and felt fantastic, only big problem was the AI was kind of shit if it couldn't swarm a thousand units and there were a couple of COs that regardless of who used them could fuck your shit up real good. Dire Range anyone?

You're stupidly calling it shit just because they changed the way dialogue was delivered even though everything more or less remains the same. You're just an obnoxious faggot and you really do have no argument against the overall improvement of the localization when you immediately reach for the kind of shit Treehouse does today when they're not even comparable.

So the fuck what? There isn't any memes, censorship or social agenda shit. They changed names and improved the dialogue. That's it. Just fuck off already.

And you did project, you complete fucking idiot yet you try to play it off as me not knowing what I'm talking about. You accused me of supporting the kind of butchery done nowadays just for defending one localization that did absolutely nothing harmful.

I'll readily admit that Days of Ruin made some beneficial gameplay changes, mostly in terms of a slimmed down and better developed unit roster. That was a bit of a mess in Dual Strike. As for toning down CO Powers and COs in actual units and such, meh. I wouldn't call that better or worse.

With that said though, I HATED the change in art direction and tone. I loved the visual style of the AW games up until then and thought that DoR's style was a huge step in the wrong direction. The units looked worse, the maps looked worse, and I didn't like the relatively more realistic character illustrations.

So in the end, for playing a little better but looking much, MUCH worse, I'd say it was a step down overall.

Somehow not being faithful is improving the dialogue, which they didn't do. It's just the version you played so you'll defend it to your grave.

Kill yourself you cuck. The translation was shit, even if the game was good.

Bump.
Another big problem with the E script is how blatantly mechanical a lot of the writing is; red flags like repetitive sentence structure and bad punctuation. Take a look at this opening, and note how many ellipses are used where single periods should be, and single periods where exclamation marks should be. These are among the principal things localizations are supposed to clean up, as they look really dumb in English.

How are Famicom Wars and Super Famicom Wars?

Famicom Wars is an unplayable history piece. Super isn't much better mechanically, but has a lot of audio/visual charm that's probably worth checking out once.
Bear in mind, neither of these games have campaigns, it's Vs mode only.

Neither could I, honestly.

KanColle does try. I mean, it also mainly is for moeshit, but at least they get fuckhuge cannons and are classed appropriately.

And thanks to this thread, now I have to download and play Days of Ruin and Dark Conflict to compare the translations.

As if I needed more proof you were a projecting faggot. You just considered me no better than the faggots defending shit today.

It's more or less the exact same fucking lines with improved delivery and more personality, you utter retard. You're the only one who needs to kill yourself.

Wait what

They released more games after advanced wars 2? I beat the entire war room with almost all S rank 2 years ago
Fuck. So how's the waifu material on the new one, better than the last one I hope

Eagle>>>>>other cos. except Stalin's brother

Tabitha is an 11/10 piece of ass. The other 2 main girls are already taken.

Dual Strike was released for the DS really early into the console's life. Lots of people didn't know it existed because the DS had no install base at the time, and it didn't get any meaningful advertisement outside of a one minute trailer at E3. It was kind of our Awakening since the writing was cringeworthy, the level design was poor and way too easy, and the pairing system and customization completely broke the gameplay.

The other DS game is Days of Ruin, a reboot. Its campaign has a full-fledged story behind it, instead of how the old games just strung maps together with a couple lines of banter. It's not revolutionary, in fact, it's just Gurren Laggan, and the map design isn't even that much better than in Dual Strike, but you can tell they put some resources into it for once. The core gameplay also got an overhaul, which makes it far and away the best game for multiplayer. Tabitha and Lin are both excellent waifus.

Almost forgot Tasha, though I was personally never attracted to her even if she is pretty good. Also, her theme gets old quick.

The American version sounds more weeb tryhard to me tbh fam

So for all the edgelords here wishing the plague on NOA for touching my glorious Nipponese version, this game is the perfect test.

The UK version is basically a word by word translation of the Japanese except for some very minor changes (such as bad guy Mengele offering that one general slow-killing nerve gas in JP, which they turned into a freeze ray in UK). Meaning you get stiff text and zany names like Trak and Sigismundo.

The US version has barely anything to do with the JP, but got rewritten from the ground, often completely changing the time (like that scene with the flying fortress crashing, where they turned one of the pilots into comic relief).

Get both roms, play them for a few missions and check back on whether you really want everyone in Treehouse gassed. They may not be saints, but personally I do slightly prefer the US result.

Meant to write tone there.

Easier: Just check this page for differences

gamefaqs.com/ds/943675-advance-wars-days-of-ruin/faqs/51609

The main difference is that the US version adds some more humorous lines to it. I personally prefer it, mostly because it makes Lin more likable.

Pretty sure this is a false choice. DoR was written almost ten years ago, and by this point I would imagine the entire Treehouse staff has changed (be it people literally leaving and joining, or sjw zombification).

Which is why it's stupid to compare this localization to the kind of shit done today when they're not even comparable with the exception of alerting the tone in some scenes.

Tasha sucks. Waylon is a much better air CO than her. I get that you want your air units to kill in one turn so they don't take return fire, but you can do that with Waylon, and his CO Zone stats are better for air units.

Plus, his CO Power is the power to make everyone pretend they're playing Ace Combat, where the comms are cheesy and the anti-air doesn't matter.

I was talking about looks and personality because they asked about waifus.

???
She has the best body, but that's about it.

Advance Wars 2 was the best AW game. The DS ones are mostly shit and Battalion Wars is god awful. I didn't like having 2 battlefields and the DS ones felt clunky.

Nintendo should honestly make a new AW for Android (yaya ik but it's one of the few games that works well on mobile) and make a 2D console version with 3D mixed in

No, fuck mobile that would drag in the cancer.

I mean how she's not just an edgy bitch.

Nice ID but you're wrong about Batallion Wars. The only thing that was bad in 2 was PvP. It was easy to win by just killing the commander only. The actual gameplay isn't bad.

There should be an Advance Wars strategy rpg where you start off as a blank CO with no abilities, and you can customize the CO as you win battles and gain experience.

(Also they should make a similar battle network game)

You should look up Dino Device 2 and see if that's something you like. It's moon but it's the same style with unit customization and plays pretty well.

But user AW2 and android emulators go hand in hand, try it and see for yourself. I have more fun playing AW2 with a touchscreen than Dual Strike on a DS

No dude, just no. That's terribly uncomfortable, I'd rather just use a flashcart.

It's the only game that works with touchpad controls almost flawlessly. The touch buttons don't get in the way of the gameplay, but you're right, if Nintendo released AW2 with reworked controls for touchscreen it would be perfect.

touchpad button controls*