Strategy Games General

Is it worth it? I have money to spare and I've been meaning to get at least 1 Grand Strategy vidya gaem. I haven't played any stategy game ever.

Civilization V is -75% right now on steam, but before buying, is it worth it at the price it is right now? with DLC or no DLC?

Civilization V is a heavily flawed game, but it can still be pretty fun. Don't expect the AI to be good at war though.

Is Civ V worth it? Yes it's a very fun game, but it's been free a few times and it's been bundled with DLCs a few times. Instead of buying directly from Steam, try looking at trade sites, you can probably buy it for cheaper there.

Pretty much what this user said. It's only really worth with it with all the DLC. Vanilla feels like an incomplete game.

Though if it was down to me, I'd go for Endless Legend which is a far better game.

Do yourself a favor and play with the Community Patch Project installed. The base game, even with all DLC, is shit.

Would I be better off if I got Civ IV with all DLC instead?

Honestly? Yeah. It also lets you play with more than 3 friends online cause the netcode on Civ 5 is that horseshit

what are the 4x games that let you make unique or detailed civs to play

something that always gets me into playing 4x is watching the stargate atlantis ep 'the game'..

Back in the time of Civ IV those were called expansion packs.
Civ4 is the better game and definitely has the better mods, so do yourself a favor and get it instead of 5.

Galactic Civilizations, Master of the Orion, Alpha Centuari and generally the older Civ games come to mind.

If you ask me, complete bundle is well worth $12.50. I haven't played some of the other games mentioned in this thread, but I am aware that Civ V is far from perfect. So, if you want Civ V, you should get it now, but there are other options that I can't give input on.

Understand that there is a difference between the 4x genre, and the strategy genre.
While it is no hard rule, the essense of the difference is that in a strategy game, you have enough information, or can quickly aquire enough information, to approximate all the parameters in the game, maybe bar your opponent's plan, while the 4X game, like civ often lets you build with less complete information, and as a result lets you get away with far less optimized play, while still (ideally) being challenging in a way that is mostly natural.
(In a 4x, you tend to have enough information on what to do right now, but laying overarching long term plans is a lot harder.)
Civ feels more like Heroes of might and magic with randomized maps, but sans tactical combat, than it feels like RTS or grand strat, in terms of the way you make decisions.

Wait for VI :^).

Reminder that Amplitude os based and they used to work for Jewbisoft

Is Age of Wonders 3 worth it?
I heard its not as shit as 2.

So, If I wanted like a "simulation" (it's not) of World War I or II while managing one country, what game would you recommend? No fantasy pls, as realistic as possible

Hearts of Iron, Decisive Campaigns, Making History.

As realistic as possible? Possibly Hearts of Iron 3, though that is no starter's game.

am I allowed to talk about Tropico here?

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!

Oh fuck, not this shit again.

They'll never have Nimoy narrate the tech discovery again, but I'm still hoping it'll be as fun as IV was, because V was dogshit.

I don't mind the graphics to be honest, so long as the game runs better than V and the net code for multiplayer doesn't constantly break.

That said, the lower graphical detail could be a prelude to CiVI iOS.

They've been babyfying civ since before 5, trying to streamline everything except their ai, what you see here is the minimal effort for graphics so they can leave more out of the base game and release it for full price expansions you'll need to play with everyone else who waited a year to grab the 50% off (which is the price of the original base game) collectors edition. Of course expect mandatory season pass unless you want to spend $80+ to fix all the bugs from the first one.

If you buy it 75%+ off sure, but might as well just pirate it. Civ 4 is better and most of paradoxs games are better than both of them.

Thus gets me so hard

Then keep gifting him powerful troops and enough gold to upkeep them. Of course I don't give them their capital back and I keep them dependent on me

I once had an oponent surrounded by 8 City States. His entire empire had those 8 city states somewhere in it's border. He tried his best to get some allies but in the end, they all bowed to me. When war finnaly broke out between us, I didn't had to do anything but send a few cleanup troops. Those City States kept attacking whatever was near their borders so all I found was a few guys very injured. A cleanup crew conquered an entire empire.
I tell you, anyone playing Civ strictly for the militaristic side is an idiot.

I also remenber a friend of mine that focused Production so he could spam soldiers and conquer his way to victory. I had mastered the Shekel and was getting 300 Gold per turn. When he arrived on my borders, I bought soldiers every turn in every city until I had an army larger than his out of fucking nowhere. It got him almost as mad as lategame, where I was making almost 1000 Gold per Turn.

I dunno about the community patches for 5, but if they help, go with that.
Otherwise stick with 4. It has a few problems that 5 kinda solved but it's solutions kinda broke the whole game too.
Stacks of Doom where replaced with the nightmare of moving a large army in the map for instance.

I still miss my executives and my companies, as well as proper spies.