ARMA 2/3

ARMA 3 is finally on sale for a reasonable price, so I figured I'd ask here:
Is ARMA 2 worth 8$?
Is ARMA 3 worth 20$?

I want some comfy operatin' with friends/anons but I've heard mixed things about both games.

Other urls found in this thread:

articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-01-09/business/os-simulation-company-acquisition-20130109_1_training-simulation-industry-private-equity-firm-budget-cuts
community.bistudio.com/wiki/SQS_syntax
community.bistudio.com/wiki/getDammage
dev.arma3.com/post/oprep-official-mod
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=189421090
armaholic.com/page.php?id=27205
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They're both alright. If you go to Arma 3 don't bother with 2, because there's a bunch of little things like stance adjustment that make it hard to go back, plus there are multiple projects for porting over stuff from 2 into 3.

Get Arma 2 Complete if you want to play mods like DayZ or the numerous dead ones like I44 That occasionally have a few groups still playing. Otherwise go for Arma 3 and mod it as alone it's heavily incomplete. Although weirdly pretty much most groups in Arma 3 have turned Arma 3 into Arma 2 with their mods which makes me wonder why they even bothered

Trips confirm, I'll look into 3.

Someone was shilling a mod called Border Patrol to me or somesuch. Is that available for Arma 3? Google just gives me unrelated garbage and let's plays.

That sounds like some game mode in Altis Life. Which is overrun with squeakers, but can become hilarious when you get a bunch of /k/ommandos together and operate like fuck

Altis Life looks autistic as fuck, tried it once and I have other things to do with my life than getting bossed around by 10 years olds (like shitposting on 8ch for exemple)

They are damn fun, don't listen to the casuals who say otherwise.

Any tricks to boost performance? Arma 3 seems pretty heavily CPU bound but I'm stuck on a 4670 at 3.4Ghz

Arma 3 is worth $30 Arma 2 is worth $9

Well there's a minefield.

Really doesn't matter honestly, the problem is with the engine not your hardware. It can't actually use multi-cored processors properly resulting in serious bottlenecking.

They've actually made the performance of the game significantly worse over time, not better. One thing they did was change the way objects rendered meaning that performance dropped. People literally went from 60fps to 10fps overnight and they refused to admit what they were doing was wrong till pretty much a bunch of modders got together and told them to stop talking such horseshit.

Anyway in regards to performance, it's more of throw shit on the wall and see what sticks in my experience. I remember having problems with seeing objects that are more than 100 fucking meters away cause they wouldn't render. I don't know if it still works I'll have to go back and check but you could actually render objects further away with "lower" draw distance without any changes in FPS. For example if you have 12k Overall draw distance and Object set to 2k draw distance you will render objects that are further away than if they were both set to 6k. It seems this ratio of 6:1 is what worked best. I have no idea why the fuck this worked but Bohemia couldn't optimize a game if their lives depended on it so I guess that explains it.

Yeah, it's not bad. Actually runs better then Arma 2 while still looking better and has better controls. It's still Arma though, so theres not much point if you aren't into autism sims but it's got enough shit to warrant that price. Only thing that's gay is the DLC shit, because it's shit that should of just been added when the game fucking came out

Are the DLCs needed to play on random online servers?

Some yes. Otherwise you'll get bombarded by adverts quite literally in game, and usually in the middle of a fucking firefight if you are anywhere near DLC content.

The Marksman DLC is literally P2W in PvP and while you can equip it weirdly, you can't pick any of the shit up

Forgot to add

Any reasonable server though you are better off running mods rather than DLC, the DLC is frankly a joke and should have been free especially when mods do a lot of content better.

Sage for double post

Dunno if they fixed it now but I used to get better performance by setting things to Ultra, this made the game actually use the graphics card instead of trying to do all of it on the cpu

It shoudl have been free content because everything it added was missing from the basr game.
Heavy transport helos for Op/Bluefor, heavy machine guns, variety in marksmen rifles, an actual weapon resting feature and working aerodynamics for helicopters.

Also adding onto this, they changed how sounds worked between 2013, when I bought the game at $60 while it was in alpha (hahahaha mistake learned fuck), before you could easily tell where shots came from and bullets actually sounded like bullets wizzing by you. Now it's just a bunch of cracks and not gunshout sounding sounds. Even LMGs and larger guns don't sound like guns. Also how sound directions are played through speakers is very inaccurate. Good luck hunting anything down by sound.

I call bullshit. I bought the game on Alpha and the price was around $36

Threadly reminder that this will eventually fuck all over the milsim game market and that Bohemia will be history.

Okay it was $36

But that's still $36 on an alpha of a game

holy shit that is godly

If you've never played arma then you really should buy them.
Personally I played the fuck out of Flashpoint years ago. Arma was a worse version of that game and Arma 2 was a worse version of Arma 1. Don't get me wrong they are still fantastic but Bohemia never improved on the original really. The AI seemed to get worse over time and the atmosphere became more Cod "murrica saves the day through elite operating" and less "war is shitty and you will probably die from a stray bullet" simulator.

THREADLY REMINDER

That looks nice, what should this be a reminder of?

That ARMA has an expiring date and that Bohemia will likely stop existing. Another big military simulator is being developed with Outerra as a base.
We will see some big news this September.

Gun sounds now work differently in that the cracking sound is the bullet hitting the ground or whatever, the sound that comes after is the gun sound so focus on that.

Always listen to the sound after the cracking.

Marksman and helos should've been in game. It's stupid.

only dlc worth getting is karts

Talking about TitanIM?

you can RP as ISIS.. They are present in game.. You can Join them.. You can also allahu akbar.

Game is amazing.

We're also getting the "keep the kebab out of Australia" expansion pack. Its going to be great.. Fucking JET SKIS MOTHERFUCKERS! lol

Part of the Profit of Karts went to the Czech red Cross.
I was glad to spend money on that DLC (only one I own).

Sure. They are decent sandboxes and have some good mods.

realy? ive come back to it recently and it ran much better. did they just fuck up somewhere upon the way and then got their shit together.

what this>>9346973 guy said. also, the guns dont sound like complete shit anymore, so thats something.

And the other part went to the "let's buy a tank for the company".

Yes.

The performance you get with 2 and 3 depend on your rig. Can't remember the exact details, but some CPUs run better 2 while some run better 3. In general, 3 runs better though.
The way the game handles the AI is still retarded as fuck.

Well worth getting 3 if you are willing to put in some time to learn a heap of small systems that come together for complex gameplay.

video related

Depends on the server but helicopters and marksman are worth it, karts was an April fools joke that reddit liked a little too much.

Every thread you turn up and act like anyone having a monopoly on milsim is a good thing. I hope Outerra is great and forces BI to lift their game, an all out war between 2 competent milsim devs is win / win for the community.

sure, remember how star citizen revolutionized the space gaming genre?

(checked)

Not with the company's money.

I'm not saying having TitanIM+Outerra monopoly is a good thing, just stating the fact that, once they come out with the simulator and the game, Bohemia will cease to exist. It is what it is, have you seen the world generator Bohemia is working on? It looks and runs like dogshit, they are far too incompetent to do anything right and their laziness will come back to bite them in the ass. TitanIM has already taken over some military contracts that were hold by VBS and the shit isn't even close to fully released.

Both Outerra and TitanIM rely only on investors money to make their stuff, there have been no money crisis and they are getting more and more funding as time goes by. You're equating two things that are nothing alike.

the big difference between investors and a KS scam of this magnitude is that the Kikescammed are suffering so much buyers remorse that they keep throwing money at it while an investor will sooner or later cut their losses and kill off the project.

No m8 the cracking is the bullets breaking the sound barrier near your head, but real bullets don't sound like that

Yeah, and they have been pouring more money constantly for the last couple of years. There are more companies involved with Outerra now than ever before with over 10 projects being developed. This thing has applications beyond just gaming or even military simulators.

that's cool. i mean, more options mean everyone wins if you ask me. but i don't see how that is totally gonna kill off bohemia interactive or any other developer.

Adding onto this, the cracking being supersonic sounds doesn't make a bit of sense when they're made by suppressed weapons too, when suppressed weapons should be using subsonic rounds.

Really? Always got the asumption that it hit the ground or things around because the sound seems in sync with bullets touchin the ground

Don't buy the game unless you have a 300+ USD Intel CPU.

You won't be able to play with more than 20 characters on the map. Less than 20 FPS.

RIP if you were unfortunate enough to buy an AMD CPU.

Because bohemia hasn't done shit to fix their engine, is constantly trying to jew people for content or with that early access scam that was Dayz. The efficiency between the engines is abysmal and Outerra not relying on the CPU so much leaves a lot of room to handle AI and other stuff.
Bohemia's attempt to catch up is a planetary rendering engine that looks slightly better than google earth and runs like shit. They are losing military contracts too.

You can fire supersonic ammo through a suppressor. It reduces the muzzle flash and climb. On gas operated rifles, they tend to get stuff dirty more quickly and increase the working pressure.

The problem here is bad directional sound system, you could replace the sounds and it would still be shit.

These are my specs

i don't know much about BIs new engine, mainly because it's in early stages of development. (i don't mean real virtuality, that one is going to be retired after arma 3 as far as i know)

Bohemia interactive studios are not Bohemia interactive simulations

they are two separate entities since vbs2 at least

I got it and have been playing Breaking Point

I'm hoping I find a group to actually do some ops with so I can enjoy the core game as well. Otherwise I'm likely only going to play the campaign as far as the main game goes.

I don't see any reason to buy ARMA unless I have trackIR

Can I run ARMA 3 with an i5-4690k and a 750ti?

Can you explain why you think this is the case?
Do you think that with their first release TitanIM+Outerra will take 100% of the milsim market?

While BI does do some stupid shit we only know about that stupid shit because they release documentation and leave all their files open to editing. TitanIM+Outerra would need to show just as much support for the modding community and that isn't something that can be shown in just a year or 2. They would need to show ongoing post-release support with major engine overhauls released as free updates to begin to build the level of trust BO has from the community.

I run it fine (30+ fps) with an i7-3930k and a 670, just don't expect to be running max settings.

You'll probably be very disappointed.

yes or no

There is no definitive answer when it comes to PC hardware and shit games.

I expect the game will chug on that CPU, but I don't have it and I've never seen it tested with it, so the only answer I can give that isn't a lie is "probably."

ok. At least you're trying to help

Following your retarded butthurt fanboy logic, you can't say any new product is going to replace another because it has no trackrecord on how the company will behave after release. That's just stupid.

And no, it won't take over all the military contracts, but if a half-working WIP version was enough to steal two contracts already and considering not many countries waste a lot of money on simulators, they are already looking pretty bad.
Again, the main give away here is not having anything to show in the future. They engine they showed off looks worse than Outerra's first release.

Oh and TitanIM has already shown pretty well developed troop movement, script and scenery tools, including terrain deformation.

I'm hoping TitanIM is great because that is good for the customer, you are hoping BI die and that is bad for the customer, tell me again which one of us is a fanboy.

I'm not hoping for shit, you fucking butthurt retard. I'm just saying things the way they are, Bohemia is doomed.

Because a company that has never released anything and doesn't even have an alpha to show have said they are working on something?
Even if they take every military training contract the ARMA series is profitable on it's own.

I remember talking to you on /k/ awhile ago, I have no idea how you fail so hard at understanding basic markets

No you, I major in commerce, I know exactly what I'm talking about. Keep believing what you must, the signs are there though. Bohemia is over, stay salty.

I hope you are at least competent in your minor.
articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-01-09/business/os-simulation-company-acquisition-20130109_1_training-simulation-industry-private-equity-firm-budget-cuts

Nice, very nice.
Also, that's one interesting 3-years-old article you have there. I'm sure it means a lot.

What Scenarios are great and fun to play?

I usually play alone and most online servers for me are usually above 200ms and those that aren't have 0 people playing. Right now

I'm finding AntiStasis Altis fun but laggy as shit thanks to it's scripts. Any other scenarios that you guys could reccomend?

my computer is garbage and I haven't been able to play arma 3 in a few years but my friends tell me the performance has improved a lot.

guy has some weird assburgers and his religion is outerra. I've been following outerra for 7 years now and it's barely gone anywhere. it's an interesting tech demo and that's it.

What are you talking about? The base sounds sound pretty good to me, but I didn't play A3 in alpha so I can't compare.

My computer is probably worse than yours and I can run it, not all that well but its good enough. Also, MP was always kinda shit because it depends mostly on the server you join, some server with 100 people on them run really well while others with about 40 run worse.

This thing isn't even out yet. And even if the studio dies, do you assume the arma games will just disappear? You might be majoring but you sure as heck don't understand how stupidly dedicated people are. When this game comes out, you can boast. Until then, you're throwing baseless claims.

what kind of a moron brags about a college major? it's paid accreditation, it means you pass the baseline level for skill in a field. or if you're ivy league, you paid for the accreditation.

Also how some servers are shit in that there's no team balancing and they have 3rd person enabled.

I wonder, if both the source and the listener are stationary, it wouldn't be possible to localize a sound either directly in front or behind of you, would it?

Why is vanilla Arma 3 such a mess?

People will find anything to boast with,

Arma is like modern TES: it's only played because it's the only option. A better way to put it is this: It's a great genre, and Arma is a bad entry in it, but it's the only one.

Keep in mind for the following points that this is the FOURTH (Operation Flashpoint counts) entry in a relatively big franchise of games (sure as shit got 50x more budget than any other simulator):

Arma is shit, BIS is utterly incompetent and wouldn't stand a chance in hell if there were any competition. Best we can hope for is that TitanIM is at least decent so we can jump ship from this turd.

Individual parts can get damaged and affect functionality, so it's slightly better in that regard

They're useless and a few are probably missing, but they're there

And they're shit. They tilt the gun to match the terrain, which is unrealistic and stupid

Could be worse
community.bistudio.com/wiki/SQS_syntax

Definitely should be replaced though. Both the syntax and function names are fucky.
community.bistudio.com/wiki/getDammage

Unlike in Operation Flashpoint, tanks still don't have interiors in ArmA3.

It's above GTA3 and BF, but not by that much. Thing is, considering what it's supposed to be, and that it's the 4th in the series, the damage systems are completely inexcusable. There is basically no simulation at all, just that you can damage different components. Some mods try to fix this, but obviously compatibility with other mods will then be shit.

Well, the ones they're forced to have are there, anything they could get away with not having isn't. Basically anything without windows. I wouldn't complain if we got a decent selection of vehicles, but 3 was barebones as fuck. At least Red Orchestra 2 had the excuse of vehicles taking a tonne of effort to make.

Yeah that was pure fucking trash, SQF is shit but at least it's usable (kind of). Really Arma needs a huge rewrite, and someone with his head on straight to direct it all, but that won't happen.

I don't even want to think how performance will be in Panthera.

Any other missions like Antistasi Altis or DUWS or any other missions just to be able to play solo without online?

Fucking forgot to mention the vehicle physics. They're completely fucked in every way possible. Which is funny because I've played around with PhysX vehicle physics in UE4 and they can actually be quite good (and most of the work is already done for you).

Not sure how they fucked it up so much.

Your allusion to ACE really puts this into perspective. They've been working for almost 20 years on a series of full-priced games and they haven't even come close to what modders did in their spare time ten years ago.

It's a platform, silly!
dev.arma3.com/post/oprep-official-mod

While it has plenty of issues half the issues you raise are just false.
I agree they need to take 90% of ACE and make it stock, it should be like advanced flight modeling where it's off by default but can be set client side or forced server side.

Apart from the hyperboles about it being Battlefield and GTA level (of which there are three, and only two are hyperboles really), tell me how half the issues are false.

Install this and have a play steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=189421090
Every vehicle has a full interior.
It's a free update, you get bipods without owning the marksman DLC.
While AddAction is fucking retarded everything else is fine.
While AI pathing is way more CPU intensive than it needs to be this just isn't true, you are expecting the same fps from a game with 20 times as many enemy and map size as you get from much smaller titles.

It has some major issues context menu, shitty vehicles, only getting ambient occlusion 2 months ago ect but it isn't as bad as lots of people like to make out.

So what are some interesting mods for Arma 3? I am sick of honestly all these Arma 2 ports, if I wanted to play Arma 2 I'd move to the Ukraine.

>Install this and have a play steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=189421090

That's great, too bad its not what I said. I was blatantly talking about vehicles.

Only windowed ones.

Never said otherwise, doesn't make it any better.

No it really isn't, the whole language is shit. Why not implement C# or something?

There are a tonne of games with much larger gameworlds, like Just Cause 2, which have much better performance while looking better than having much more shit going on in them (Arma 3 is basically empty, you if you have a mission in a town then that will be kinda populated, but it's not like the rest of the island has anything but empty shit).

Outerra is the most shining example, which runs better than fucking Stratis with greatly superior view distance and deformable terrain.

The only vehicle with a detailed interior is the Challenger 2 mod

armaholic.com/page.php?id=27205

And even that I don't think got textured properly, probably cause he got lifted by MI5 as the interior is meant to be classified.

That too. BI still hasn't into MP yet, but anyone who played OFP back in 2003 will tell you it's still an improvement from what it was, holy shit the fucking headaches

Also
Come on now, are you even trying?

If rendering a much longer distance and staying between 80-100FPS at all times, with more buildings in render range than any -commonly played- ARMA map, on a fucking 770GTX and a downclocked I7 920 isn't enough to show efficiency, I don't know what you want. They haven't even ported the engine to x64 yet, with more ram the mini "stutter" around 2:10 would be solved.

I am quite surprised the amount of anons in this thread that are sucking Bohemia's dick considering a lot of shit they've pulled in the past years.

Scripting sqf is one of my favourite pastimes. I got 3k hours in arma 3, love it and all the mods.

Bought the i7 4770k just for arma a few years ago, worth it…

>mfw drones will still defend it because be grateful you're getting it it's either on-disc advertisement pop-up p2w content or low texture resolution p2w content instead and i for one am glad for that you fucking entitled shitlord

Thanks for the rundown, you would have convinced me to not buy it.

However, I already did, booted it up, and suddenly the game started stuttering like a motherfucker, completely unplayable because it would die whenever I tried selecting anything in the UI.

Refunded the game and nuked it from my harddrive. Fuck that shit. Fuck their DLC practices. Fuck their shit optimization. Fuck needing fifty billion mods to even join any server. No thanks.

I don't think that means what you think it means.

The game has built-in DLC that nags you to buy it, and it's on your HDD already. HDD stands for Hard-Disc Drive, so he's still technically correct.

Not to mention picking up a rifle off a dead enemy, trying to pull the trigger and being told to go fuck yourself as a store page pops up in the middle of your screen while "UNAUTHORIZED CONTENT" flashes all over your screen is the single most disgustingly jewish thing I've ever seen a game pull.

but guys, just pretend it's dna detection software. it's fine. learn how to immerse yourself.

So then you are telling me that before you buy the DLC you have 0.98Gb of data in these three folders in your arma 3 directory?

I agree 100% with this, I won't defend anti-customer practices.

These people… The only reason this happens is so the comunity doesn't slipt between those who want dlc and those who don't.

As far as I can tell the DLC sales pay for the continued post-release development. I'm fine with this as everyone gets the core game improvements maintaining MP compatibility. What I'm not fine with in the in-game adds for the DLC and the "you can't use this" bullshit.
It should just be a case of everyone can use everything in mission but you need to own the DLC to use the extra items in the arsenal and editor.

On the bright side it looks like Apex will actually add a lot of content as apposed to a couple of models & game improvements like the others.

I don't have problem with the messages that appear on screen, just don't use dlc gear. They could have gone the other route and just made the gear not appear at all like when someone uses mods.

All I'm hearing is 'how dare they let me see, but not use, dlc gear'. Just sounds like bitching to me.

Also dlc is shit just use mods

as someone who has only managed to actually have fun with arma exactly once, i can honestly say the only thing that it really, really has going for it is the deep immersion, and i'm with other user. i'd rather that corpse's weapon just disappear, or maybe end up "damaged beyond repair" or something for someone who doesn't have the DLC. popping up a store page in your face, ruining your immersion and saying "ah ah ah, this might be a horrifying battlefield where anything goes but if you don't pay you can't play with this" is total fucking bullshit

For models I agree but the DLC funds changes to the base game that can't be made by mods, RotorLib and the new lighting system are perfect examples of this.

In my clan we avoid DLC content and mods fill the gap just fine (and them some) but I wouldn't give up RotorLib or ambient occlusion for anything.

This doesn't add up. If your playing for 'immersion' then you are probably in single player which from memory doesn't have any dlc content. The only way you will run into it is if you playing online and we all know there is nothing as imersive as online chat spam..

Like I said it sounds like bitching as this appears to be a cherry picked scenario that may perhaps happen.

It really sounds like people went to use the content on the virtual arsenal and got the message.

To clarify when I say DLC is shit, i mean the content, I do agree with the platform/engine updates. I did get the DLC, when it went on sale.

Funnily enough, the current DLC model was implemented because in the old model people kept reporting that the DLC items were bugged; DLC that was not paid for had really low resolution textures and no indication that the item was DLC.

Cool PR dot points, user. What's it like doing it for free?

It's a shame that retards influence these things more than reasonable people capable of reading a FAQ.