Open Source Gaming: Revival Edition

The open source gaming thread is back from the dead, with even more games!

This time around I'd like the address the lack of a popular class based FPS. The only open source class based FPS I know of is Classic Fortress, which is just the Team Fortress Quake mod adjusted for balance/bug fixes, and it seems like nobody plays it. What could be done to get us out of this snafu?

In light of the recent DOOD shilling, I'd like to remind everyone that there are thousands of maps and mods available to play for the real Doom games. There probably enough content there to play until you're old and gray, and its a lot better than the AAA FPS nobody will remember in a few years. Theres also a lot of free multiplayer FPSes that are far better than DOOD's multiplayer in the list, as well as singleplayer ones that surpass DOOD's singleplayer.

GAMES HERE
paste.teknik.io/Raw/1I0ZJ

OSI's definition of open source software opensource.org/osd-annotated
FSF's definition of free (Free as in freedom, not price) software gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html
Note that this does not mean the assets of the game (Art, sounds, music, 3D models, story of the game, anything that isn't source code) need to be open source/libre. Only the software part of the game needs to be open source for the game to be considered open source software.

As always, recommendations for the list of games are welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

smcameron.github.io/space-nerds-in-space/
forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?50490-Unreal-Engine-1&p=178527&viewfull=1#post178527
paste.teknik.io/Raw/qwPUD
github.com/ja2-stracciatella/ja2-stracciatella
warsow.gg/forum/thread/16964/2
warsow.gg/forum/thread/16971/2
github.com/rcgordon/Serious-Engine
tomsennett.tumblr.com/post/6879064751/runman-race-around-the-world-goes-open-source
gog.com/game/warsow)
paste.teknik.io/Raw/OQ7Hb
github.com/iamgreaser/iceball/
iceball.sexy/
buildandshoot.com/viewforum.php?f=84
reddit.com/r/iceball
iceball.build/
iceball.buildandshoot.com/.
pastebin.com/cpjZmazY
srb2.org/2016/05/version-2-1-15-release/
devel.tlrmx.org/kiss/
spearmint.pw/
github.com/zturtleman/spearmint
octaforge.org/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=YhvOBkWi98o
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

A good amount of shooters were added to the list, including this weird deathmatch game with physics and some shoot em ups by a Japanese guy. Plus a bunch of other stuff, take a look at it.

Also, it would help if someone else posted in the thread, I won't be here all the time.

Anything good run on ICAROS?

Man I really want to start a project to get some experience in developing games since that's what I want to do after college but I have no good ideas. I have a couple of buddies who would definitely join but I just don't know what to make. I have experience in programming since that's what I study, I just never worked with graphics outside of some GUIs so I really need to learn. Having a go at open source game would be a great way to learn imho.

If anyone has some cool idea for a game that you'd like to see in the open source scene then please share it. Who knows, maybe it'll work out and one day you'll be able to play it.

Try to program a snake or a tetris to begin with.

Hey hey, this thread seems interesting.

I am working on a doom mod myself; I am wondering if any anons here mod for themselves too?

That's not what I was asking for tho.

Learn by programming really simple shit.

I was thinking about making a cyberpunk inspired something.

what;'s the third screenshot with the suicide bomber?

Lips of Suna

Not vidya but I wish somebody would work on advancing the state of the art in vaginal softbody/fluid simulation.

edgy

no, smooth and moist

Like OP said, we don't have a class-based FPS (I assume he means TF2/Overwatch). Make that. Start out with getting a 3D environment to render (use an engine), get some simple physics going (kinematic character controller, bouncing grenades, etc.), network that shit (protip: raknet), fill with content (maps, characters, weapons), release. Make sure it's easy to have mods and addons that are implemented in plaintext scripts and make a content management system so clients can easly get everything they need from a modded server and don't have to install anything manually. If you use a bsp for the maps people can use existing tools like GTKRadiant for mapping, which saves you the effort of making your own.

raknet bought out by Oculus, what does this mean?

OpenClonk is another FOSS platformer you could add to the list. Still being worked on too

Really? Well, fuck.

Though I guess if it remains open it's probably safe.

You can strip the human enemies after they're dead or by pickpocketing in Lips of Suna.

Do you mean AROS? I think a few games have binaries for AROS, like NetHack, but you will have to compile most games. AROS is pretty niche so I wouldn't expect too much support for it gamewise.

You could try and make something that people want that is relatively simple, unless you're thinking about a larger project or something. Theres definitely demand for some kinds of games that hasn't been met, like a GTA clone or a good 3D singleplayer FPS, but some of those are challenging projects that a small group probably wouldn't be able to do. There has been at least one open source project to make a GTA clone but I think the only thing that came out of it was an engine, and I'm not entirely sure how far they got with that either.

Already on the list, its just under RTS/RTT. Not sure what genre it should be in considering it has RTS elements and platforming elements.

The problem with class based FPS games is that they usually require more players to be fun while stuff like arena shooters can be played 1v1 nicely. Organizing 10 players for a match in small unknown game can be hard and quality servers can be hard to come by as well and that can thwart the growth of a community around it.

These are always my favorite threads.

Obligatory

Jesus christ I have never seen a greater concentration of degeneracy. This is some next level shit, is this ironic? Please tell me this is just some kind of joke. Nobody can be that sick and broken to enjoy something like this.

How new are you?

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Space Nerds in Space should be added to the autism simulators. It's an open source star trek style spaceship bridge simulator. You play with people in the same room, everyone on their own pc, and each of you mans a station just like on a star trek bridge. Pretty cool stuff if you can get enough aspiring wizards to play with you.

smcameron.github.io/space-nerds-in-space/

Are there any good gpu that have drivers for GNU/Linux that don't use closed source microcode? I'm using the open drivers for my ati card, but it requires that and I would like to swap over to something fully free at some point.

This is the type of multiplayer game/'social experience' that VR desperately needs as a killer app but is still at least half a decade away from. I can see a few nerds setting up a bridge in garage or living room and living out their fantasy of being in command a starship using VR. Hell I'd do it if I had the hardware, if only as an excuse to scream orders.

I remember seeing news stories about this project years ago, it hadn't occurred to me that it would be using Linux based desktop environments for all the GUI effects on a live distribution of Mint. That's very smart.

what the fuck game is that?

Do you have sex in it?

so my textures are all fucked, i think its becasue i'm on a nvidia card? any known fixes? and checking the forums n such,it looks like the game development is dead? could be a nice base to work from tho

It's already plenty fun without the VR. You convince 5 friends to take their laptops, hook up a projector and it's fucking amazing. No need for much roleplaying either but of course you can step up your autism and dress up in costumes and shit. Good shit! if you have friends that are star trek fans definitely ask them if they'd like to play. Most of them have fantasized all their childhood about a game like this but many realize how autistic it looks to the outsiders so they don't ask anyone.

Damn. One day then, thanks user.

Too bad that the dev of it went MIA, rip in piece.

There once was a time with quakeworld and the original Team Fortress, then MegaTeam Fortress, many servers running full 24/7. There were clans that would play other clans, and sometimes invade public server games and kick everbodys ass. The pubic servers were a blast.

Biscuit, 2Fort5, mega, snipers that were so good you would swear they had auto-aim, unnamed, and so forth,

That's some fucking great news.

If you mean microcode as the code that is run "inside" the card then no, there are no fully open GPU worth considering, not even CPU. If you mean blobs, the newest AMD cards use AMDGPU, which is a fully free kernel module which I think was meant to be used with mesa.

Its Lips of Suna. I haven't played it very long but as far as I know, you don't have sex in it.

Thats too bad, would be nice if someone picked up where they left off.

Unfortunately the only signs of life seem to be one public server with no one in it. I doubt many people even know that theres a standalone Quake Team Fortress available for free, maybe some would play for nostalgia's sake if they knew about it.

Could always make a deathmatch mode for the hell of it.

OPEN HARDWARE W/ SOFTWARE READY FOR PRE-ORDER!

What is this, 2011? I can't emulate psp games or ds games with this.

Can the CPU be replaced? Because with that said, this thing would just be expensive trash.

I'm going to vomit

it says the cpu board is replaceable, but I verified that nobody has manufactured one for this thing that has anything bigger than its current prototype.

and I'm not making my own PCB just to play vidya.

My godanm 8 core nexus 6p can run doom 3, what can this trash do?

That's when design started, yes. Think you can do better?
Also, are there psp and ds emulators already?!?

Yes, it's modular design, you'd need to desolder it IF you get it as is SoC. Read the specs in the website. If a faster better processor comes along, compatible with the hardware, it would be that easy to replace, unlike obsoleted psp and ds.

It's designed with future alterations possible.

My phone can full speed birth by sleep with the 60fps patch full speed with no frameskip in 1440p internal resolution with msaax4.

What can your fucking shitty device do?

Eat shit.

All systems are mini computers, even your phone and digital watch. Excuse me if you don't like using a umpc for gaming and modifying means.

As soon as anyone has test kits, we'll know. Imagine being skeptic when the Apple II was announced.

Eh, having to desolder it would be kind of a hassle, especially for an average consumer. I'll just wait and see what happens with this.

But kind of sounds promising as soon as better tech comes in. Don't even know how well it could handle graphics.

but why would I bother when my nexus 6p already has superior hardware and its a factory unlocked device with modding in mind right out of the box?

I mean, that's the whole point of the nexus devices is their open ended stock android. No bloatware, no unlocking the bootloader, no bullshit.

[Video recording needed]
But is your phone OPEN HARDWARE, where you are allowed to modify it however you please? And can you kernel mod the lastest version of OPENGL for 640p @128Hz by overclocking?

You are convincing me otherwise.

yes, you can absolutely do anything you want with the kernal, my nexus 5 I had overclocked even the gpu and memory, not just the cpu. And I can do just about anything with the refresh rate and resolution too.

I don't if you're just unknowledgeable on android or if you're merely pretending, but keep trying.

Wouldn't you have to do the same, on an unsupported system like psp and ds if you wanted to do so, with little to no documentation, just to upgrade a system planned for obsolescence?

Why wouldn't you bother upgrading and customizing your system that only plays at shitty 60fps patch full speed with no frameskip in 1440p internal resolution with msaax4, when you could play 128fps no frameskip in 640p internal resolution natively on opengl?
And I am not even covering 1% of all these possibilities this modifiable device has over your locked android phone.

I'd also like to add that the nexus has a specialized port that allows for you to output video, data, power at the same time, and almost all nexus devices have this functionality, Which means I can just use my phone as a dedicated emulation console by hooking it up to my tv, I use an app called sixaxis to pair my controller via bluetooth and enjoy comfy gaming on the sofa.

I love 2016.

because ppsspp doesn't support internal framerates over 60hz, you fucking idiot.

and why in holy fuck would I want to play in a resolution that fucking ugly? I mean sure I have the capability of doing so, but godanm you're an idiot.

We're done here, you're clearly just a master baiter.

Sweet, show me a recording of your nexus playing birth by sleep@60Hz no Fskip w/msaax4. I'll believe you then.
Then tell me how is your psp & ds emulator coming along.

[Recording needed]
Btw, is your Nexus OPEN HARDWARE?
Sorry, you destroyed your argument the moment you posted right here:
Don't go ad hominem when failed back up your own claim.

I mearly came to post because of OPEN HARDWARE W/ SOFTWARE. Something your beloved psp and nexus will never provide. Did I mention PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE?

Bullshit

Pretty much any top of the line 8 core phone can do this since the nightly builds of ppsspp finally got proper multithreading support. I'm sorry you people are stuck in the 90's mentality while tech is still progressing. I bet you're both the kind of retards that run their OS without a window manager/shell script with a smug grin on their face. Here is reality, your work efficiency is trash, your knowledge of modern tech is lacking and you both need to get the fuck out.

Checked fam, I don't know where these people come from either, their stupidity is killing our board.

>8 core phone can do this since the nightly builds of ppsspp finally got
Don't can me, do. Show us it does. Convince me not to support open hardware & software for this 2011 design, "stuck in the 90's mentality".

I have yet to see:

I can't show you anything while I'm at work, you're going to have to wait until I get home before I can post anything. I will say that you can find comparable results yourself if you'd just google it.

But we both know you're not going to go out of your way to find your own answers, since your limited mental capacity probably can't see anything past your own obligations to be right in this perceived debate.

I can wait, just like I waited 5 years for the pyra. Just recall, just came to post OPEN HARDWARE W/ SOFTWARE, not offend or ad hominem. Just like I was skeptical of the Apple II, I can consider getting a IBM 5100.

[More ad hominem garbage] anymore to get out of your system before you can objectively refute my argument of OPEN HARDWARE?

Pandora shill please leave. Waited fucking years on my pre-order and got an under powered piece of shit with poor build quality.

The sheer level of incompetence behind making that thing was staggering, everything that could go wrong did because no one knew what they were fucking doing.

The text file in the OP could really stand to be better formatted. My eyes didn't know where to go at first glance.

so this is the power of open source games

Pandora's a fucking ponzi scheme. They just ran off with everyone's money in order to fund latecomers' orders.

The fuck man i swear i ve seen this shit in development for like 8 years

I guess the idea is decent but they need to talk to designers because it looks like a heap of chinese shit. Reminds me of the cheap Android/WinCE laptop knockoffs with 7 inch 480p displays and a crap ARM SoC.

Also they sound so full of themselves it's almost unbelievable. I mean it's marketing blurb I get it, it's the point, but holy shit I want to slap the guy who wrote this in the face. And I'm in favor of the device they're selling.

They keep claiming it's "just away from manufacturing" in order to steal more money.

Do not give them anything.

Never got the appeal, because the main reason for wanting one back then was full portable emulation, but then tablets became a thing and then the raspberry pi transformed into a small powerhouse .

In fact if someone just took a raspberry pi 3 and made a handheld with it i'd buy it right away

empty your wallet.

This is very nice. Shame about the relatively slow hardware but on the other hand you could probably fuck around with it and install a faster processor or an actual GPU. Would buy in a hearbeat if an x86 version was available.

You could try to make it yourself. I'm tempted by it but still not sure of how much use I'd get out of it. I found some nice RPI cases with an LCD slot on top, would just hacksaw a controller to get handles, wire some buttons to the GPIO or perhaps a USB controller board and slap a small USB powerbank.

Open XCom Apocalypse is still progressing

Holy shit, that's awesome. This game is so goddamn buggy I'm glad that somebody is fixing it.

I already have that laptop, looking for an umpc.

Man, I wish epic would GPL the original unreal/unreal tournament engine already.

If it's anything like the Pandora, stay well the fuck away from it.

Too bad it will be for TempleOS only

:^)

Heres a nice Xonotic frag movie by the #1 Xonotic dueler Smilecythe. Shows off a lot of good stuff like the grappling hook, modded servers, vehicles and the newest weapon, the Arc.

Also, I was thinking of adding an emulator section to the list, since some proprietary emulators actually exist for some reason.

They do want to make Unreal Engine 1 open source according to Sweeney himself: forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?50490-Unreal-Engine-1&p=178527&viewfull=1#post178527

Is this any better? I put more spaces in: paste.teknik.io/Raw/qwPUD

Do you judge games the sane way or the GNU way, where even a shoddy clone of anything not open source is fine?

That definitely is. I can at least easily tell the separate games apart, now.

Thank fuck. I see they've been steadily been working judging from the frequent pull requests in their git but we haven't seen a video since the beginning of the year.

Got their priorities straight. Gotta do something in God's temple other than check tongues.

What's the game in the first image?

That's Scorched3d newfag.

freeware != open source

next thread should be opensource and freeware, with labeling required ofc.
easy access to project games should be top priority.

I dunno, this is a special thread dedicated to open source and free as in freedom games. It shouldn't be about proprietary games.

absolute propiertary

Yeah, but it's probably not happening anytime soon. Might not be years till unreal /unreal tournament engine gets GPL'd

a lot of those freeware games should be open source, apply the pressure!

Which games do you think would be best if open sourced, Holla Forums?

utterly pointless grade school-tier question

remove yourself

Is there a good free Flash implementation yet?
I want to play that CoC mod but I don't want Botnet Chrome.

etlegacy: wolfenstein enemy territory source port compatible with original 2.60b
fun team and objective based FPS that allows quake style movement. it has shitloads of community content (maps, mods, cool serverside stuff)

Are there any competitive arena shooters that people still play?

I try to put games in the list that someone out there will like. Not everyone is going to agree which game is good or bad.

However, some games haven't been added because I can't see how they could be enjoyable, like Megaglest. From what I have played, its a pretty bad RTS with no redeeming qualities, terrible graphics, and horrible UI. But then again I didn't play it very long because of how bad it was.

I play Xonotic. Not a lot of people on there, but there are some people playing it. Something like 400 players in the entire playerbase, at least according to XonStat. The video I embedded in shows off some good stuff, some of the footage is old and some of it is new.
OpenArena has some players still.
Sauerbraten has some players but its usually instagib.
At least 40-60 people still play Warsow I think? They are all very good at the game from what I hear.
Maybe someone out there is playing Quake

You'll probably be able to find someone to play with if you live in North America or Europe. Warsow has some Japanese players apparently.

Warsow has been Steam greenlit for years but something is stopping it from getting on Steam, as far as I know the devs have never said anything specific.

I guess Doom is technically an arena shooter when you're not playing a cooperative mode, but most of the attention is on mods and the singleplayer.

Arena shooters have been declining for years, so you probably shouldn't be too picky on what mode or game you want to play if you want to play an arena shooter. Some of these games have IRC channels for pickup games, probably on quakenet if they exist at all.

The one gets us the most advanced technology out of it.

The threads are about open source games/gaming, not proprietary games.
What do you mean by this?

Already in the list, its a good game.

I'm not so sure about good, but Gnash and Shumway exist. From what I heard, development has stopped on both since everyone is dropping flash support.

What's the second game there?

why does this thread have no games?

Add Kobo Deluxe to the list. It's a nice little danmaku with absurd difficulty spikes. Available in major distro repos.

Fucking level 23.

Jagged Alliance 2 - Requires original game data. github.com/ja2-stracciatella/ja2-stracciatella

You might want to add Serious Sam to the list now that the source code has been released.

Dropped, not tacticool enough

CoD Clone

no fuck my previous idea, there desperately needs to be a F/OSS Mecha game

pic related

From what I can tell, it's a bug in the shader for the terrain. From what I can tell, the dev was trying to do something clever with passing texture atlas details via the color attributes, but it fails to utilise it correctly. If you can compile from source, you can patch it with the following fix:
diff --git a/src/lipsofsuna/extension/terrain/terrain-column.c b/src/lipsofsuna/extension/terrain/terrain-column.cindex 19add09..34e9719 100644--- a/src/lipsofsuna/extension/terrain/terrain-column.c+++ b/src/lipsofsuna/extension/terrain/terrain-column.c@@ -1456,6 +1456,16 @@ static void private_insert_quad ( { LIMdlVertex vertices[3]; + float x = quad[0].color[0] % 4 * 0.25;+ float y = quad[0].color[0] / 4 * 0.25;+ const c = 64;+ const float f2 = 0.5 / c / 4;+ const float f1 = (c - 0.5) / c / 4;+ quad[0].texcoord[0] = x + f1; quad[0].texcoord[1] = y + f1;+ quad[1].texcoord[0] = x + f2; quad[1].texcoord[1] = y + f1;+ quad[2].texcoord[0] = x + f2; quad[2].texcoord[1] = y + f2;+ quad[3].texcoord[0] = x + f1; quad[3].texcoord[1] = y + f2;+ quad[0].color[2] = 0; quad[0].color[3] = 0; quad[1].color[2] = 255; quad[1].color[3] = 0; quad[2].color[2] = 255; quad[2].color[3] = 255;
Fixing the shader could also work, but I don't know enough about shaders.

OpenArena 3
NEVER EVER

Warsow is kill.

warsow.gg/forum/thread/16964/2
warsow.gg/forum/thread/16971/2

Warsow isn't dead, the developers just had a dispute. As I understand it, it's just the associated websites that are tied to the salty-devs. The game will remain free and open source, just no longer contributed to by those who would see it added to steam.

Looks like almost all the devs are quitting the project…

But that doesn't exactly "kill it" when it's a fully working game, I don't see a reason to inject that level of fatalism into the issue. It's a shame that the dissenting dev (the founder as I understand it) hasn't made a public statement that I can find, wanting to keep his free and open game off of a DRM platform makes ideological sense to an extent though.

Is he a normalfag yamyam now?

What's the "new project" everyone's talking about? Is it a Warsow fork or a new game entirely?

It seemed like people were expecting the steam-favoring devs to start a new project based in the qfusion engine.

Thats a really nice game, its like Bosconian but better.

The games are in the paste I linked in the OP.

I agree, we are sorely lacking mecha games. The only open source one I can think of is LinWarrior and thats pretty unfinished and ugly looking.

Basically, it doesn't grant you all your freedoms and some of the code isn't even licensed, so I can't put it on the list.

I could link the source code, but theres no source port or anything yet.

The founder apparently holds the rights to Warsow, I'm assuming that means the name since apparently a lot of the assets are free by now. Nexuiz had a similar problem, history repeats itself I guess.
I didn't see or hear any signs of monetization or the game being removed from their website, but I don't really play Warsow so theres probably a lot I don't know. As for Steam, it's unfortunately vital to the popularity of your game, most people on PC use it to find new games and also as a social platform. I can see having it available via Steam and their website being fine, it doesn't force you to use Steam that way.

The second game is Zero Ballistics.

What about all the progress they've made? Seems like they didn't give up on it. Embed related.

Sure it's a reasonable compromise but if the developer has strong beliefs on the issue of free software then it's understandable to me that he would oppose it, and if that's the case I respect his choice. Though this is all conjecture until I see some more information on their disagreement.

github.com/rcgordon/Serious-Engine
There's Linux support in case that helps at all.

So apparently the devs behind Runman released the source code under the GPL a couple years ago
tomsennett.tumblr.com/post/6879064751/runman-race-around-the-world-goes-open-source

noice

After further investigation, and much tail chasing, I found the bug, and my previous patch is actually junk. The bug is that a shader was trying to round of an integer, and nvidia's shader compiler threw up a warning, which caused the game to not use that shader, resulting in black terrain.

This patch should require no recompiling this time.
diff --git a/data/lipsofsuna/core/terrain/depthstickterrain1.vert b/data/lipsofsuna/core/terrain/depthstickterrain1.vertindex a106661..3ff00d1 100644--- a/data/lipsofsuna/core/terrain/depthstickterrain1.vert+++ b/data/lipsofsuna/core/terrain/depthstickterrain1.vert@@ -21,7 +21,7 @@ void main() * shader. */ int material = int(255.0 * colour.x + 0.5);- F_texatlas = vec2(mod(material, 4), floor(material / 4)) * 0.25 + vec2(0.0625);+ F_texatlas = vec2(mod(material, 4), int(material / 4)) * 0.25 + vec2(0.0625); /* Grass animation. */ vec3 t_vertex = vertex + tangent.x * vec3(LOS_time.y, 0.0, LOS_time.z);diff --git a/data/lipsofsuna/core/terrain/stickterrain1.vert b/data/lipsofsuna/core/terrain/stickterrain1.vertindex 3d29ec8..132e82c 100644--- a/data/lipsofsuna/core/terrain/stickterrain1.vert+++ b/data/lipsofsuna/core/terrain/stickterrain1.vert@@ -30,7 +30,7 @@ void main() * shader. */ int material = int(255.0 * colour.x + 0.5);- F_texatlas = vec2(mod(material, 4), floor(material / 4)) * 0.25 + vec2(0.0625);+ F_texatlas = vec2(mod(material, 4), int(material / 4)) * 0.25 + vec2(0.0625); /* Grass animation. */ vec3 t_vertex = vertex + tangent.x * vec3(LOS_time.y, 0.0, LOS_time.z);

bumpo

This needs to happen. Why hasn't it already?

Start with programming a Sudoku or Tetris. Start simple. Then maybe clone something.

Does anyone have that guide for running Quake?

Just a(n unfortunate) reminder that F/OSS Racing games are like if NFS3 had really shitty textures

even its own "racing game oriented" fork (Speed Dreams) doesn't look so hot

Yeah, user, especially not when they make multiplayer Steam account locked, or when they shoehorn the Steam Workshop in. Remember, user, those paid mods aren't really DRM-locked if you can pirate them.

>>>/4cuck/

even worse user
its furshit

Can't believe nobody noticed this yet.

very nice

So, which is better between Warsow and Xonotic? They both to seem pretty similar, general aesthetics aside.

Also, which one has a larger player base?

I haven't finished looking through the entire pastebin list either though. Lips of Suna looks nifty if I could find some mods to make it not look so shit

I'd say Xonotic, if only on the sheer principle of the devs not having infights to the autistic degree of the Warsow devs.

Red Eclipse, but that game's much less competitive in nature.
I'm not sure if Warsow landing on GoG 4free (gog.com/game/warsow) actually helped boost the size of the userbase that much, unfortunately. So I guess the user size would go to Xonotic?

By arena shooter standards, they're pretty different. Warsow is like Quake 3 CPMA while Xonotic is like Quake mixed up with Unreal Tournament, plus a few new ideas. One isn't really better than the other, its just depends on what kind of gameplay you like better.

Also, Warsow is having major internal problems between the devs and the founder, which has made the games future uncertain. The founder is sitting on Warsow's copyright and keeping it from going on Steam according to the devs, while the founder has made no comment concerning this situation. The devs also state that their terms for the release of Warsow did not match with the founder's, but they haven't said what the terms were for either of them. Xonotic does not appear to have any serious internal disputes.

Xonotic has something like 400 players overall according to XonStat, not sure how many Warsow has.
Does it even have any form of mod support?

Yeah, the state of open source racing games is terrible. It would be ideal if there was a good base that every racing game dev could work off of instead of everyone trying to work on their own undermanned projects.

It looked dead last time I saw it.

The devs would be missing the point entirely if they forced that sort of stuff on the playerbase.

Wow, user, are you fucking kidding me? How is it not totally inappropriate for developers to have principles in this year that is [the current year]?

I decided to stop being lazy and give the Quake series their own entries with the useful sourceports, and also Doom 3 is on there now too. Tell me if anything is wrong or if anything should be added: paste.teknik.io/Raw/OQ7Hb

Unfortunately, this actually happens with open source games now. At least one open source game (Relic Hunters Zero) is only available via Steam and Wyrmsun has Steam workshop integration.

Technically, that's what both TORCS and VDrift are supposed to be. But even 'racing-oriented' forks like Speed Dreams and Stunt Rally (allegedly meant to replicate Richard Burns Rally are more content to circlejerk on IRC and Forums than to refine said projects.

Also, all of the stickies and infostuff sadly seems to lack Iceball, which is a 100% F/OSS clone of Ace of Spades, and I might as well dump my old post and image from /aos/

/../

Just reminding you nerds that a F/OSS version of AoS still exists (ever since that source port of Voxlap will NEVER EVER be finished), and still has sporadic twitches of activity every once in a while

github.com/iamgreaser/iceball/

iceball.sexy/

buildandshoot.com/viewforum.php?f=84
reddit.com/r/iceball

huh, apparently the download link moved to iceball.build/ , and there's now an unofficial BnS subcommunity website at iceball.buildandshoot.com/.

page 15 emergency bump

"The open source gaming thread is back from the dead!"

IF ONLY YOU COULD SAY THAT ABOUT THE GAMES' COMMUNITIES :^)

I think it's worth mentioning Spearmint as an alternative to ioquake3. It has splitscreen multiplayer support, better widescreen support, and some improvements to bots.

maybe we could hire 'influencers' to spread the word ?

I dont get this mentality at all,
you don't have to shit all over the new game to promote the old games.

Also

I already knew you suck dicks but holy shit OP

Doom 3 didn't advertise itself as "just like ye olde doom" its a game of its own.

Nu-Doom however claims its THE new Doom, when its clearly nothing like it. As many have said before if they released this game with a different title it would've been fine.

And i'll just point it out, why do you have to lie about nu-Doom? I get that you think that the old game is superior.

I do too in many ways, but i still thought the nu-Doom was an enjoyable ride, and i'll sure as heck play it again.

Not really, there's maybe 3 or 4 in total that interrupts the gameplay.

You dont have to reload a single gun in the game, as for pace, it's atleast faster than today's popular shooters

First of all, you need to injure the enemy to the extent where they die from your next gunshot anyway, and second of all, 5 HP isn't much of a boost.

???

As for SnapMap though, it's a piece of shit. I have no idea what the fuck they were thinking.

And the MP sucks dick too.

There's plenty of things that are alike the old Doom's in them, atleast in the Singleplayer. As for the MP and modding, they fucked up.

I mean, i'm probably gonna replay the new DOOM a few times, but what keeps me coming back to the originals is the Cacowards, to try em out.

Well actually, I was basing this image around what people have said. And something that has been thrown around a lot is a mention of the game's story and how the protagonist and the enemies of the game come from Templars and Knights. And there's the robot enemies.

It's not the classic Doom story of we sent people through portals and they came back all fucked up, and then one day hell started pouring demons into the real world. That's not the story of Doom 4. Instead you have an adversarial mechanical templar, etc.

kek

Doesn't the chainsaw one shot most enemies and turn them into ammo pinatas?

Yes.

Alright, I added it.

Thats a neat idea, but I bet everyone would screenlook.

One thing I noticed about Speed Dreams is that the driving seems to be strange, but then again I don't really play too many racing games and I only tried it with keyboard and mouse.
The guy who works on Stunt Rally apparently comes back to the project from time to time and does a bunch of work, it didn't sound like many others work on it.

I suppose I'll add it. How far along is Iceball anyway?

I explicitly mentioned the mods and the maps when I was talking about Doom. I picked that screenshot because if you wanted Doom with modern gameplay elements, improved gore and effects, and newer/modified weapons you could just play Project Brutality.

I'm not okay with Doom 3 as a Doom game, it misses the point. Even if you judge it as a stand alone game, it has aged poorly compared to other horror themed FPSes like FEAR. It was more renowned because the graphics and technology behind it were great at the time.

Actually, it is necessary, because they're doing that whole reboot name thing where its the same name of the first game.

Are you referring to the list of games, or something else? The list of games is linked in the OP.

Wolfenstein ET's open source fork, ET Legacy, is in the list.

Another big problem about Doom 4 is that its proprietary. It would be nice if the developers would follow the idTech tradition and make it open source, especially since Snapmap is shit and theres no mod support. However, I doubt it'll happen considering the facts that Doom 4 uses Denuvo (its why its not even on GNU/Linux, despite the fact that it could be easily be ported otherwise), id Software is owned by Bethesda, and that John Carmack (and apparently the rest of the tech team if the rumors are true) left id Software.

Supposedly, the managers overmanaged to the point that there was severe attrition among the employees, and John Carmack only worked on it during its early stages before he left.
Fortunately, there are a bunch of open source arena shooters to play.

It's usable to the point of being able to start off your own server. There's available binaries for Windows, but Linux users are fucked unless they know how to compile from source (or just use WINE on the .exe file lmoa).
The default game itself is like the much older AoS versions, with 2 weapons (both of which are rifles), but except the pickaxe and shovel are merged, and you can regain blocks from digging.

It's 'playable' like the older AoS alphas, in a sense.

(also the screenshot I posted is old as fuck (just about the time when GreaseMonkey implemented an OpenGL renderer, as some minor improvements have made it look not vomit-worthy) , and even embed related is pretty outdated aswell, but nobody has really released any videos.)

didn't realize that they also added a shotgun, fucking wierd.

also since there's still a lack of contributers, the visuals and sound effects are all still "worse than freesound.org" tier, with some even just GreaseMonkey blowing into his laptop mic or crumpling paper

I should make some assets.

every sunday a group of americans get together to play team fortress for quake

here is the quakepasta which would help you set up nquake (which is completely free and comes with team fortress allowing you to play on the server).
pastebin.com/cpjZmazY

I'd really like an evolution of modding tools, where instead of only having the base game's assets there's entire libraries, all sorts of pre-made, highly efficient templates big and small, a robust and crash-resistant engine and great scalability and optimization. One where a bunch of shitposters like us can use our autism to make the greatest stories and characters while not having to constantly worry about hitting the 5-NPCs-on-screen limit all the time.

For example, I've spent hours at a time in GMOD placing NPCs, objects and even AI-nodes all over a big map, only to have to throw it all away after I'm done as sharing with the community would result in just a big jumbles ERROR mess.

Bump to save thread

Theres a thread about this already so everyone probably knows already but Sonic Robo Blast 2 now has slopes.

srb2.org/2016/05/version-2-1-15-release/

friendly postman come to help

Speed Dreams has finally reached v2.2 after many, many months (please excuse the obnoxious thumbnail, it was all the footage I could find). I do wonder if the documentation is good enough for the average (yet dedicated) person would be willing to work with it)?

It's still not true, you don't play as a faceless marine in Doom.

Stupid question to save this thread: Is there any open Kisskae viewer besides Gnomekiss and Xkiss?

>devel.tlrmx.org/kiss/

Grab some modernized fork of id Tech engine (ioquake3, Qfusion etc.), and develop from there.

ioq3 is old hat user, why use that old stuff when you can use the redundant new, revitalized version, Spearmint Quake? spearmint.pw/
github.com/zturtleman/spearmint

the Cube: 2 engine is good too, I recommend the Tesseract fork

From what I recall from an older /agdg/ post, some user tried to use Tesseract in order to creat a new game, but he mention that the documentation of Sauerbraten was very skeletal, let along Tesseract.

>From what I recall from an older /agdg/ post, some user tried to use Tesseract in order to create a new game, but he mention that the documentation of Sauerbraten was very skeletal, let alone Tesseract.
goddamn, just when i finally had 10 hours of sleep for once in my life

FUCKING FINALLY

maximum gay

Steam dosen't force every game to include drm or use steamworks or anything so there is really nothing wrong with warsow being on steam. Just a salty dev circlejerking in forums and the irc holding the game hostage really is what's going on.

www.wesnoth.org

Best open-source game, been playing it since 2004.

also,

(Dhewm3)

(RBDOOM-3-BFG)

there's no fucking difference

Why are the Minetest devs so adamant about their shit base game being "muh minimul foundation", when all this leads to is horrifying eyesores like Voxelands?

I gotta say, these are pretty amazing graphics for something that came out over a decade ago.

OctaForge exists too, if you don't mind LuaJIT and using a slightly outdated fork of Tesseract.
octaforge.org/

I really hope you aren't wasting your money in college to make video games.

wha happen

Reposting.
[Embeded] m.youtube.com/watch?v=YhvOBkWi98o

i believe somebody posted that shitty fetish fork of Nexuiz

Any of you niggas ever tried Freedink?

I beat it. That was some ending.

le page 16 save rave

openmw 0.4 soon this year

Some of the Ultima games have sourceports

Does it have its own open source server software and all that, as opposed to OpenSpades?

I didn't know nQuake had Team Fortress with it, thanks. I guess Classic Fortress would be redundant in the list?

I see a lot of amateur modders making games for forks of the Doom engine. Theres also very good open source tools like SLADE 3 available for free.

Cube 2 and its forks have ingame level editing, which is apparently pretty easy and can even be done cooperatively, but documentation for the engine is sparse. Like says, OctaForge also exists and it has an API/Lua scripting.

Minetest also uses Lua scripting for modding.

How good is OctaForge for actually making a game right now?

Exult and Nuvie are already on the list, were there anymore?

I don't know why the Minetest devs don't use the good stuff from the community to make a better base game. The default textures suck and its far too minimal.

Its on the list already.

The second video says they are using mods.