Is this franchise dead?

is this franchise dead?

What could they do with it now?

Well I fucking hope so

this

Let's just pretend 3 never happened, and Isaac and Ellie went on to live their lives happily ever after.

/thread

The only memorable part of the series was gunning down zombie toddlers with sawblades.

So dead that it should be sent to space.

was it ever alive?

slow corridor shooter jumpscare shit
never understood the appeal
the only actual game mechanic that makes the game scary is that your character moves like a fucking snail and can't escape or out maneuver for shit.

Take a guess

If you're bad at the game maybe.

This. Gaining immersion is one thing, but having to walk around like a fuckin mech gets real old, real quick.

Good setting though I'd like to see more of.

the anime was cool at least

It's as dead as dead gets.
Let it rest user, don't dream to awake it, lest EA continue fucking it dry.

Yes
DEAD in SPACE

/thread

what game? is it dood?

Hellgate: London

:^)

All that lives must one day die.

We had two good games, one mediocre game and a decent anime movie.

Are they making another one?
There's your answer.

Yes, erryone dies at the end of 3

Ded. Deder than ded

The game will get a reboot when enough nostalgia builds up over it.

Sure but that doesn't always work.

You could say, its Space died

I fell for that one. I don't think I have ever been more disappointed with a game.

I think even EA said they would no longer continue with it
If that's not dead i don't know what is

First one was great imho. Precisely right blend of action and spookiness. Clunky controls and awkward laser sights added to the feeling that you weren't an experienced marine, just an engineer. Even more so with a gamepad, I loved playing on gamepad even tho I played on PC because it was really hard to aim that way and that made the action even more frantic.

Second one was good but the improvements in controls took away this feeling of vulnerability from the first one. Also the mystery element kinda went away and it was all about this cult that worshiped some old alien technology which in the original was only hinted at and it remained a mystery. The jetpack imho took away from the really cool gravity boots gameplay of the original, jumping from platform to platform was really scary but also cool as shit.

Third one was a generic third person shooter built for co-op. Kinda fun but generic as shit.

I don't think a reboot is possible, the mystery is gone, but if there was a game in the style of the first one I would definitely play the fuck out of it.

At least I can pretend it ended with 2.

Space station sandbox, with tech upgrades you choose allowing for access to different parts of the sandbox making for many different scenarios of the story line.

2? there was a second one?

yeah and EA killed it

and what a god damn shame it had to go out the way it did

If they made the MC a woman and gave her something like she needs to find her missing husband or son, brother some shit like that this could have been the next Samus series.

Shame they killed the franchise is dead now.

Y'ever get the feeling with franchises like this that the guys in charge killed it deliberately rather than see what happened to Assassin's Creed happen to their franchise? They see the casual swarms and the eternally offended approaching en masse and write something that renders the series impossible to continue lest their creation become the next suit-controlled dumping ground for microtransactions and cultural marxism.

Just recently played the first game when it was on sale for free on Gold. Made a thread about it but it died pretty quick. I'll post my thoughts here.

It's… alright, I guess. The "aim for the limbs instead of the head" thing was a nice spin on things, the lack of HUD and having everything take place in-game and real-time was great, and things did get intense when you don't see them coming (although there is many points where it's obvious they're gonna show up), but I think it's honestly just average. Plus it was over quick and the Final Boss is far too easy for what it's supposed to be.

I don't have a problem with linearity by itself, but in Dead Space it felt incredibly rail-roaded, what with the tram separating areas and many times doors locking and not allowing you to return. It would have been nice if you could freely explore the ship (Or revisit previous areas) instead of going to areas and not being allowed to go back once that part of the story is done.

Fuck the asteroid shooting segment.

They got rid of the anti-gravity in the second one? That sucks.

Here's what I know:

I don't think it could be any more dead, OP.

Yes

Me too

My main problem is that they turned Issac into a fucking superhero on master chief levels of autism. Part of the fun in the first game like you said was that he was an engineer using repurposed mining equipment to survive, but after the second game he felt invincible and that he can survive anything even if the odds of him dying are overwhelming. Also the fucking atmosphere, the first game done it right but the second and third game completely shitted the bed when it came down to that.

Fuck you nigger here's my le epik sage.

Everything you said is pretty right to me. Even though the necromorphs wasn't really frightening at all it did gave you some sort of weird feel instead and the story gotten pretty tense at times.

This. You have freedom to go wherever you like but need certain abilities/weapons to pass certain points. You get those things from exploration/beating bosses. There should be a big focus on survivability/scarce resources and you slowly unravel the story as you go along.
It won't happen though because it's EA

So 3D Super Metroid.

I played it. On PS3 with Move. Bretty gud.

it was dead from the repetitiveness of the first game. They are shit

1 was great and 2 was great if you didn't mind the pandering. 3 fucked everything by being everything that was bad about 2.

I still prefer 2 either way. 1 was fun but 2 was better to replay over and over again on harder difficulties while 1 tended to have those annoying bits every so often that I didn't really appreciate as much on my second playthrough.

I held no hopes for 3 because the majority of games usually fuck up hard on the 3rd one and I was glad (smug) to see I was right.

If you ever needed a pattern to how franchises work: First game is great but rough around the edges while the second game fixes those edges but panders to a wider audience. 3rd game goes full jew and does nothing but pander and be shit. This pattern will never die for the majority of franchises and only a special few ever escape it.

Reminder to never get fanboyish towards franchises. It just bites you harder in the ass and makes you feel worse when you realize how shit the franchise has gotten after the first few games. That and it makes you a brain dead fuck when game #104 comes out that did nothing to inspire originality or creativity and you still praise it.

FAVORITE ARMOR?

Fatman all the way
In terms of looks anyway, the stats aren't that great

Have any idea what's the key to avoiding the trilogy descent into shit?
I'd say having spinoffs of the main line based on tech and assets of the regular numbered game helps a lot. Probably because the numbered game isn't so much the focus but rather the entry point into a generation of products. DLC and expansions that require the mainline game don't count, only standalone products based on the mainline game, like MW mercs or Armored Core. Both franchises where the mainline 3 is generally regarded as the highlight of the franchise.

That scene had my balls wrinkling…

Oh god jesus user don't make me see that shit again. I have enough difficulty playing it. I usually close my eyes and hope for the best when this part comes around, I have a giant pussy fear of eye mutilation despite being able to play the rest of the game fine

Quitting while you're ahead and knowing when to stop so you can move on to something that will challenge you. A gift nobody in the creative industry is capable of doing for one reason or another.

That or vastly change the gameplay enough to make it different and compelling. Producers don't like it when you change their money makers in to potential financial risks though.

A lot of old franchises get the amnesty card because the originals were made back when they were severely limited by technology and resources. There's a reason nobody really mentioned the first 3 Ace Pilot games even though they were actually pretty good. 4 was when the technical ability's of games started to reach a peak in potential and producers still haven't figured out that we've hit it.

I think the third game should always be the base gameplay and mechanics of the second (with tweaks if it needs it) but placed in a radically different setting with new obstacles, threats and themes.

What is the point of this scene, and the device depicted in it?

I can't stand shitty attempts at gore which make no sense. If someone is shot and graphically wounded, fine - but contraption that delicate and complex simply designed to mash someone's face makes no sense.

The DLC ending of DS3 pretty much confirmed a sequel but EA said they weren't doing one. I think they went back on their word and announced a sequel again but we haven't heard anything of it in years so I guess it's dead.

It extracts data from the brain essentially. It sorta makes sense in that sci-fi magic way and relates to the plot. But you shouldn't be playing either Dead Space game for the plot. They're essentially cheesy 80's horror movies taking place in sci-fi space. The lore and designs are pretty badass though Before 3 fucked everything up I actually would have liked to know more about the universe the game was set in

Gameplay and mechanics should stay the same in the generation initiated by the mainline game, that gives the right kind of motivation to the devs. It's also more efficient from the monetary perspective, asset and code reuse over multiple products is the right choice.
But I agree that setting reboots are underutilized, at least from western devs. Canon continuity can become a straightjacket strangling all potential very fast, you either ruin the next product by tying it too closely to the past or you piss off old fans by ignoring their choices n the shared world. I'd say explore one "world" per generation but stay the fuck away from everything touched in previous titles. So explore continent a in the mainline game, continent b in one standalone expansion, continent c in another.

MAKE US WHOLE

NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD
NICOLE IS DEAD

I knew about the Nicole twist before I got the game since I read up on Dead Space a few years back, but if it was meant to be a twist they sure weren't hiding it well. They tell you less than half-way into the game that the marker causes hallucinations and Kendra saying she saw her brother which was impossible, and that part where you meet her in the mining section and she was somehow alive with no gun, not to mention she was pretty unfazed by the whole necromorph thing. The "Kenda being a mole" twist was better since they were setting up Hammond as a red herring.

in 20 or 30 years i think

Yet you fagtrons want it to become another rehashed shit.
Why are gamers so dumb, this why most games are shit

I hope so. Loved the shot out of the first 2, really good action games, the real resi 4 sequels. Not spuky though.

Do you too have any idea how lazy that sounds? Look at the New Super Mario Bros series. Building multiple sequels on the same engine makes it go stale fast.

Tell me how raping the core of a game only to make the other installments "different" improves things.
If you want to do a different game make a different game, but fuck this bait-and-switch of tacking the name of an unrelated game onto that.
Remember the smash hit Xcom The Bureau? Me neither. What I remember is the widely hated abomination desecrating Xcoms good name that would have had a lot more success without ties to Xcom as it wasn't that bad, just mediocre
Huh, probably the wrong example for a nintoddler. According to your argument you must wonder why your favourite Metroid is hated by everyone else. It was so cinematic, what could be wrong with that, eh?

How is not recycling the engine the same thing as slapping the title on an unrelated game? That's like saying Dead Rising 2 isn't a real Dead Rising game since it doesn't use the first game's engine and assets and should be it's own IP.

Oh wait, you just project non-sequitur nonsense that has nothing to do with anything I said. Disregard, I'm replying to a retard.

Better for everyone, it was shit from the start.

no game with universal ammo that ive played was good, so no

Whenever someone goes "it could've been good if" just assume they're full of shit.

Sure thing friend.

By mechanics change I mean making them from scratch rather than importing it directly from the previous game, not changing the genre, retard.

Then learn to communicate the intended message.

Also

learn

how

not

to

type

a

redditard.

And why reinvent the wheel for the umpteenth time? Tech progress has come to a screeching halt over the last years, Moores law is fucked. If you don't have industry friends you need to get employed for nepotism there's no fucking reason to do the same thing again and again and again. Wheels already are there, they work like intended. Use them instead of starting from scratch with no benefit to the consumers.

if you're gonna reuse everything they should just sell them as expansion packs rather than passing them off as new games. Games are expensive, why would I want to pay $70-80 on a game that feels like it's just an add-on to the previous game.

I wasn't though?

It's not designed to mash someone's face, you mongoloid, the needle is basically supposed to go through your eye dead center to work through your optic nerve. Doesn't make sense, sure. But in an action game with horror themes, what better way to extract information in the most unnecessary, unsettling way possible?

This thread was made 3 days ago, why keep bumping it?

Also, I sad that it's dead. Something I really liked about it that I plan to use in my games is the non-intrusive HUD. Very cool how they managed to integrate everything into Isaac's suit.

Is that supposed to be a question?

It was indicating confusion. Since I didn't even type even close to how he was saying I was.

You can always tide yourselves over by watching the movie.

theeee fuuuuuuuck??????

My nigger.

NSMB =/= Mario Bros 3
Different series, different mechanics. Sequels are supposed to build on a good game, not change it completely.

Dingdingding, we have a winner. That's exactly the model I proposed at the start. Base game that establishes a generation of a franchise, then standalone addons that explore different areas of this generations world. Reboot of continuity/world with a new base game, keeping the core mechanics and concept but exploring it with a new focus. Basically the Armored Core model.

And now the text equivalent of valley girl uptalk, just great. If you're not begging for some mass bullying, lurk moar. If you are begging for it, keep doing what you're doing, you're right on track sister.

So you can never get a direct sequel? Sounds dumb.

The point was that they were different games using a similar IP and aren't exactly the same. SMB3's mechanics also built on Mario as a whole. It is still the best Mario game to date imo.

You're fucking retarded.

And my point is that's what I was saying, a sequel that didn't just recycle stuff from the previous game (unlike Lost Levels, SMB2 USA is better).

Super Mario World is better

I like how instead of the machine just waiting for the pupil to steady, it just gets angry and decides to fucking kill you.
Seriously, when you succeed this part the thing just lightly punctures your pupil, so why exactly does it just shank you through and through? When would that ever be a necessary function for something designed for a very specific and delicate purpose? Who designed this piece of shit machine?

That'd be a standalone addon. And yes, that'd be dumb as it makes both games more complex and expensive or risks bad reception.

An expansion pack isn't a true sequel. Also, a standalone addon isn't really an "addon" if it's standalone.

Putting effort into making something fresh is dumb? Well I guess if your ideal game company to work for is Activision that's a good attitude to have towards game design.

Questioning your tastes user.

The "proper" SMB 2 was literally a romhack of the first one, if it were released today Holla Forums would criticize it to no end.

Old Activision in the days of standalone addons meaning base game not required would indeed be a dream to work at. Just thinking of all the great games they squeezed out of the MW2 engine warms my heart.

Even Miyamoto preferred USA. Sorry about your taste user, but Super Mario Advance was great fun.

Such as?

And Miyamoto, constantly being the mixed bag that he is, will have his opinion/damage control thrown in the trash.

Oh please.

All of them, not a single bad apple. Boot up DOSbox or a retro PC and try them, you won't be disappointed. Best in chronological order to see how far a single base tech can grow.

It still makes no sense. It goes to all the effort of restraining your head and holding your eyelids open but does nothing to actually restrain the movement of your eyes, which it should very much do if missing the iris causes it to drive down and mash your face completely.

And on that point, why on earth does it do that in the first place? Who would design a machine for the purposes of creating a needle-point incision which has the additional functionality of goring someone's face in the event that it misses its target, complete with various additional blades for increased violence? Aside from the fact that there should be a failsafe to stop the machine from making the incision if it detects that it is misaligned, why does it slide slowly and steadily down when it is properly aligned but drives down with unnecessary and lethal force when it is misaligned?

Eye-based body horror is a pretty compelling idea, but that machine is a stupid way of going about it.

Wait… what does MW2 stand for then?

You either wear engineer or vintage in this game. nothing else.

Mechwarrior 2, what else

Oh c'mon, you're not a newfag, right? You have all the information to figure it out in single search. Have fun, fellow oldfag.

now that was actually funny.

I agree with standalonefag.
if Rockstar released a new EFLC style expansion every 2 years for 6 years THEN introduced the new engineand repeated the cycle with GTAV we would have much more and better games.

Nope, it's just kinda hard to find anything else when you search "Activision MW2".

Though I agree, this place has become a little too nice. Ah well, one more that is aware of a series of classics, just with less motivation to experience them than if no spoonfeeding had occured.