Terraria thread

Since it's 5 year anniversary is on Monday, let's play some
I can't host a server currently because my internet is exploding but anyone else who can would be much obliged

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/the-state-of-1-3-1-for-pc.42306/
terrariaonline.com/threads/terraria-1-3-1-coming-out-may-22nd-2016.194936/
mediafire.com/download/k2s4dg9a0w047v1/-v-2-0.wld
fcfantasy.cn/maps/ps/castlevania_symphony_of_the_night_50percent_map.jpg
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-update/net-framework-4-installation-error-no-signature/6438c361-34bb-404e-bb26-75acfa16d8a7?auth=1
volafile.io/get/uCltP6EIw652m/Castlevania-AriaOfSorrow-Castlevania.png
volafile.io/get/ZH2MPqEIw66am/Castlevania-HarmonyOfDissonance-CastleA.png
volafile.io/get/1RpdP6EIw67Xm/Castlevania-HarmonyOfDissonance-CastleB.png
volafile.io/get/_4dUPqEIw64Xm/Castlevania-SymphonyOfTheNight-Dracula'sCastle.png
terraria.gamepedia.com/Re-Logic
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Seel
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>It's had at least one major content expansion for free every year

Eat shit indies

How about doing a survival run for shits and giggles? I could host but my internet is shit tier so there might be slight lag.

Dear god I remember playing Terraria for the first time when it was in beta, and I remember the 1.3 update fondly; I was so excited for it and I remember reading through about the new items and the demons and bunnies and shit.

I remember having so much fun that, even though I was starving and it sort of hurt, I didn't want to stop playing because I would've rather kept playing the game than go and go through finding and potentially making some food for myself. Everything was a constant dopamine rush of excitement and fun and I remember when I first saw the trailer and immediately flipped shit and bought it.

I really wish I could enjoy games that much nowadays. Monster Hunter has been amazing but having a constant rush of fun and excitement is something I've never had in a while. But yeah a Terraria server with you guys could be fun; sadly I'm not really in the position where I can host as my internet is kind of shit at the moment. I can still tend to play games online fairly decently though, which is nice.

Terraria is a case of the devs actually caring about their game.
At one point they even said they stopped working on the game, only to go back to working on it.

Survival?
what's that?
But hey, if you want to host, be my guest

Basically we get a couple of people and we play the game normally, the only difference is once you die you're out of the game for good. So you only get one life and have to survive as long as possible while trying to get as far as you can.

It's more fun because stuff like trap boulders actually have big consequences.

anyone up for a game?

I would join if I wasn't trying to install a9lh on my 3DS. Hopefully this is up later tonight.

I've hosted a server for u goys

IP: 2.110.59.210
Port: 7777
Pass: v

Join

new chars?
let's do new chars

Join in fags

Holy fuck, where did the time go?

Terraria is kind of an unique case. Red became so rich from it that he probably never has to sell another game again.

Terraria's community is also reasonably large, the ports they're making sell more copies, they're doing merchandise and partnerships with all kinds of people, it's still profitable to develop it.

It's kinda the same with Minecraft. It seems that if you manage to hit it big with a sandbox game like this, it'll be profitable for a really, really long time. And it makes sense too, since the gameplay is by nature incredibly replayable, especially when new content is added.

The only game since Terraria that has given me sleeping problems because I can't stop playing was Factorio. Unfortunately that gets very repetitive after a few playthroughs.

I thought terraria sold 500k tops.

Now I know why he suddenly decided to update the game again

Everyone seems to own Terraria and Civ V

Server still up, wall of flesh has died overnight

Do you mean like peacefully in it's sleep?

Atleast he didnt feel pain, loads a wraiths and possessed armors now

Jesus I fucking suck at VIDEOGAME

If you're going as far to build a house you might as well move the Nurse and Dryad down there with you to take advantage of on demand healing and the Dryad's Blessing/Bane buff.

Actually speaking of buffs, are you using buff potions and regen enhancing furniture?

I make a really long clearly with a teleporter on each end. And just run backwards firing at it. Rinse and repeat.

Yeah I had to move my whole group down to the dungeon to help beat Skeletron. Got plenty of healing shit placed all around my underground arena but potions not so much, potionmaking was something I sorta threw aside because it looked tedious. It's okay though, my friend takes on the role of potion slave.

It'll also spawn a dozen plus clones of varying minor successes or absolute failures trying to cash in on your smash hit formula.

Are you using summons as well? Remember you can get up to 3 summons going at a time without even equipping any special armor and accessories, plus an additional one each of whatever sentry summon you currently have.

Also make some wide and shallow honey pools to hop into.

You just place all the potion ingredients in a chest next to a brewing table, and you'll be able to craft all potions by opening the chest.

Most plants will grow if you place them in a pot normally, and then you just need to wait until whatever condition they bloom in. Which in reality tends to mean harvesting them if you happen to be around and notice when they're booming.

What's interesting is that all of the clones are shittier than the original. I haven't seen a single good clone of Minecraft or Terraria so far. Minecraft clones are especially prone to copying Minecraft almost 1:1, so it'll just end up being Minecraft: shitty edition. And you would think that improving from Minecraft would be very easy.

Starbound started out very promising, but ended up becoming less fun and more repetitive than Terraria.

Why the hell is that? We're only now starting to get a few innovative MC clones, like DQ Builders.

I'm STILL angry about starbound even today with the staggering amount of mismanagement, poor decisions, and abuse of the community yet still somehow being able to make money because Tiy lied off his fucking ass to keep the gravy train running. If you asked me I'd say Tiy is a con artist, an ideas guy, and has no place being anywhere near a lead or management position.
Three years of dev time and they managed to make it LESS fun with "No you have to play it this way and absolutely no coloring outside the lines allowed" with generic bullshit fetch quests right out of the gate.
sage because this isn't terraria related

jungle hellevator, kite plantera up and down the shaft

i wish hellivators weren't an option. discovering how efficient it is to just dig straight down after the first few plays ruined the magic of cave diving…

Maybe after 1.3.1 they'll add some underground mini biomes to add to the challenge of spelunking.

Still available, you guys still wanna grind or should i just save the map for later?

Post your builds fags

Weeb as fuck/10

What helmet is that?

eh

This is what me and my friend built last year. We were going to give every npc a home but we gave up on the idea as we got bored (You can see the start for an eagle forge for the dwarf on the very left).

ancient bone or something

Damn that looks good

It was a little annoying to farm, that's partially why we stopped building as gathering the resources was tedious and the "all items" servers were unethical according to mon ami.

I would like to finish this project up but we don't really want to play until a new update comes out, is there one due soon?

Dude, 1.3 just came out, go play it. I'm not even done going through all the new materials and events

Dude I started like this futuristic sky castle project and then I started "livable housing" for my NPCs. Haven't finished the Sky Castle. I have tons of ideas though, problem is I get bored with the game after a few weeks. Not to mention I suck at fighting the bosses.

The next update is 1.3.1, logic gates and yellow wire are the highlights I think.

Here's the latest update on 1.3.1 forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/the-state-of-1-3-1-for-pc.42306/

"We are so very close!"
t. 1 month ago

1.3 came out June of 2015.

I remember the announcement for this shortly after 1.3 came out and I thought it would just be some wiring improvements that would take a month or so. Considering how long this took them I expect there to not be a proper Event/Boss update for a long while.

I like the skylake one, might steal that idea.

Heres more

Its a fish restaurant, its supposed to look like some island shit

Terraria is basically done at this point, red has moved on to a new project and left someone else in charge and if they "screw up" what red left behind the people who still play the game will get mad at him.
The most he could probably get away with is improved functionality of existing things and cosmetic additions/improvements. It's not like making your own mod that completely overhauls the game since people don't have the option of refusing to install it in this instance, unless they made another separate difficulty or mode.

Logical gates are not a trivial thing. There is also controller support, don't expect anything other than that.

They've already started working on (or preparing to work on) 1.3.2. I think the reason it took so long was because they have been really pushing the boundaries of what the engine can do with all the wiring and mechanic stuff. Events and bosses could probably made fairly quickly by just cloning the underlying code from their existing bosses/events. I think both the Halloween update and the Christmas update were completed in about two or three weeks. New biomes and mini biomes could probably be cloned pretty easily too.

I don't know what's taking so long though, because they were done with the actual update a month ago and they were only being delayed by getting controller support to work.

CALLING ALL AUTISTS
CALLING ALL AUTISTS

Can someone come and improve our base into something acceptable? It hurts my eyes to return here every once in a while.

There is no coming back from that. That is worse than a commieblock.

No do it yourself. The entire foundation of the structure is garbage and it would take longer to tear down everything you've already built before you could even begin to make something decent.

BE THE ARCHITECT. You have to plan, you have to draw what you want before you build it. Architecture is not just art, it is engineering.

What the fuck am I looking at?

How do you even fuck up so bad?

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

Some anons gave away free critiques last time. House changed since then.

holy fuck

Buy dynamites from the dwarf guy with the helmet, you'll know what to do next once you reach that step.

I think you don't have enough rooms

Here you go, I fixed it for you

Does anyone else like to do weird shit with their worlds? When I play with my friends, we run two servers off the same box on different ports - one world that we've had forever with a huge castle/house/dungeon that we call The Hall of Heroes. All of our best furniture and cosmetics and cool shit goes there. The other is the world we actually play on, and while we'll build nice housing there, we'll strip it when we're done with the world (usually when we're bored or a new version hits) and carry all the best loot and shit back to the Hall and build for a while.

user, there's like 20 npcs in the game. Are you suggesting they shouldn't all have their own rooms with at least a bad, a chair and a table?
Then you have to account this save is a two man effort, so we each need to have one room for ourselves. Then the two big rooms for our animal collection, a mushroom biome room and a honey fishing room for my faggot friend.
Since we're basically running a hotel, we need to have a pub room, main staircase rooms, at least two storage rooms for various shit and a storage tower since those rooms aren't enough. Then there's the dining roof room and a Santa room for when he comes. A wine cellar, 3 workshop floors, library, bathroom, armor room and a shaft to the hellevator. And a secret escape passage and a snowy balcony and a loot/equipment room.

I don't know what he meant, but the thing I have with your building is that it looks randomly generated honestly.
It's like an empty shell filled with rooms that look all the same, it lacks internal structure.

make an arena like oekaki related, the blue area is for the first stage and the red area is for the second stage, on second phase it wouldn't be recommended to go through the green area. Place enough heart lamps and campfires so you have both buffs the entire time on the arena (honey is fine too), don't forget to bring potions.
Don't worry, Plantera along with Skeletron are a fucking beast on expert mode
If you aren't playing on expert mode just make the blue side of the arena for both stages, place a heart lamp, place a campfire and get yourself a megashark with crystal bullets

i remember back then when clowns could destroy tiles, the hard mode update was a nightmare

user, houses aren't meant to look like a machine made them. They grow and expand organically. The structure is definitely there though.

Really? I thought I did an okay job with furnishing everything. The layouts and walls were done by 2e7ea1 with a few exceptions, notably the honey rooms, pet room, slime house and the frozen one.

Need more Holla Forumsirgins

Needs more decoration, the rooms are all very empty, the roof is also very samey, personally i dont like that, others dislike chaotic style.

my eyes, they bleed

I'm going to try to update it once wiring comes out. Hopefully there'll be some new devices that can be used to bring a little more life to it. I'd love for them to implement liquid slime as the final fluid.

Terraria still has incredibly mediocre AI for only 3-4 type of enemies
But at least it's still better than Starbound

Jesus christ
3 hours later

this was this

i'd like to join in
but i don't really have a character, have to start with a new one
is there any spare shit available for me that can boost me a little?

At least the NPC's have better AI now. They don't die instantly during a hardmode event anymore.

I have a fondness for Starbound that I just can't explain. I'm well aware of (and hate) all the things wrong with it, but I don't know what it is - maybe the art style, maybe the setting since Terraria is just generic fantasy with zany bits tacked on, maybe just how comfy you can make it. I don't know. But I find myself playing it for a few days straight at least once a year.

WE FIXED THAT FUCKING SHIT FINALLY SORTA

which is it?
the latter as they did the exact same shit but in 2d and more monsters
there's nothing wrong with that as my autism liked them both

SERVER HOST BACK THIS SHIT UP I DON'T WANT MY CASTLE TO EXPLODE

Did the server crash?

What server you guys on? I just realized I missed two achievements somehow and it gives me a good excuse to itch that terraria scratch that likes to come around. Not sure how far the server/everyone is though.

THERE'S A REASON WE HAVE LIMITS ON HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN JOIN

I didn't notice any problems, but apparently ~12 people was too much for the server, so it's currently overcrowded.

The server might need a restart

Should there be a deathmatch gamemode for Terraria considering all the cool items it has? It'd be like Teeworlds but with building and shit.

It would be cool if you could design a dungeon with traps and mobs and you have to face one of the bosses at the end.

The only way to do actual dungeons in Terraria is to remove the ability to gain access to tools and other items that let you manipulate the environment.

There's already something similar, server host can enable PvP. Comes out closer to PvE since you've also got monsters to worry about.

Which NPC would you marry?

Would it be easier to have players spawn with wings and certain guns? Hopping around on foot would be hard on a 2D deathmatch game. Maybe classes as well?

Mechanic or Dryad

I keep that little goblin fuck in his own personal cuckshed far away from Mechanic

The choice is obvious.

And that's alright. I always thought that self implemented rules in Terraria aren't that bad.
Rule 1: No pickaxes or any tools that can modify the environment
If players follow them or not, that's another deal.

3.3 never ever?

i love the mushroom biome feel.

Here, have this.

Although that was an outdated version.

More autism.

I decided to make an Astral Room, inspired in the one in Luigi's Mansion.

bump

Well, fuck it, dunno what else to add.

We're still getting our asses handed to us by the twins, right?

yeah, some of us are set off in our own worlds to get some better shit without the level scaling

Lewd

We gotta face the twins soon; Getting wrecked this much is pretty damn humiliating. Sad!

antigrav potions

If only we could fight the mech bosses n' shit.

Is the world expert? And is it the ip here?

Now it doesn't even say that.
Status report, men?

Already looks much better.

Bumping with great autism.

I can't even join, it's just taking an eternity to connect.

Posting some old pics of my builds.

It actually looks pretty good it just feels a bit barren and "flat". Try to add some shelving at varying levels within each room of the main hall (by that I mean the boreal wood area) and fill those shelves with varying types of accouterments.
Also changing out the regular wood doors with some other type I think would help the look. They don't have to be boreal wood. You missed an opportunity to incorporate a pinewood door into Santa's apartment somehow.
Adding some curtains or other treatment to your windows would make it homier as well.

>use invedit to cheat myself a shit ton of regeneration buffs out of frustration
>still manage to lose afterwards because I get caught up in all its minions which do triple the damage they do in a normal world
>shame burns in my chest at still managing to lose while actively cheating, delete invedit

Any tips? I could probably do with flattening out the landscape a fair deal more but I've got most of the lava covered, fireplaces going everywhere I could get 'em for a continuous regen buff, and I go in Well Fed with ironskin potions and an obsidian skin potion going.

Build a railroad track through hell. I was able to easily solo WoF with a minishark and dat der backup. Hardly any of the lasers hit you.
If that doesn't work, whipping up a slew of buff potions or cheats isn't too hard.

God, I always forget about the minecart. I only ever remember them for the mechanical bosses because they turn brain-dead simple when you're on a minecart.

Will give a try, thanks. The shame's too great for me to cheat again but I'll definitely try to get shit for more buff potions

Use spectre boots and flatten the terrain a bit more. Run back while shooting and do your best to keep moving up and down to dodge his laser beams. Also keep him a fair distance away, I'd suggest keeping him as close to the edge of your screen as possible, maybe even slightly off of it. Also use silver bullets

You can also place campfires along the way, they'll give you another small health boost.

Meteor bullets allow you to shoot through the minion things which help a lot, but they also give the target invulnerability frames so they do less damage against a single target.

Having all the potions you can get is almost a must, and remember to have food for well fed buff.

Have you considered using the Starcannon forged to max?

Host here, no idea what you did or if the server just gave in. Basically it just stopped responding to any requests i made while refusing connections.

Anyway, it's back up

Sorry for that

Post houses please.

I seriously need inspiration. All I can come up is commie blocks with a tower, and I want my SP map to look beautiful.

What kind of houses? My folder is mighty.

Any, actually. Just post anything you like, and I can work with that

Are you going for some sort of theme?
I really do have all sorts of shit saved.

upload the lot to mega

Thanks!

Wow that's a lot. If I have to choose, and if you're okay with posting, then something similar with the Halloween Mansion that you posted. I was planning on making something big and with a lot of rooms to fit all of the NPCs

Or do

Spooky houses its.

That Jungle house is fucking god tier, its the perfect mesh of consistent style with just enaugh asymetry to not be boring.

I think it's pretty nice too. It's better than anything I can usually make. I was thinking it was one of the anons here that made it but the file name suggest otherwise. I must have got it from the Terraria forums.

Those are some sales

always good to temper with the dungeon, has nice potential for comfyness

I wonder if anyone has ever tried to "purify" all or most of the Dungeon (in other words knock out and replace the wall) and build their village down there?
If you kept a few sections of the natural dungeon for farming, you'd be sitting pretty for post Plantera.

You could easily do this, the dungeon is very fragile, its pretty easy to make it nonuseable for its original purpose, just knock out some backwalls and replace em.

Been building a Town on Top of the Dungeon with a Teleporter to the Lizard Dungeon, i prefer that to building inside it.

Are you the gut doing the "Dungeonheim" stuff? I love those builds. They're intricate and "cluttered" in just the right way.

You past Hardmode yet?

Is this game still getting content updates, or is it just bug fixes and patches?

Yeah it's still getting content. 1.3.1 is "just around the corner" and is going to add a bunch of wiring and mechanical toys.

They're pretty slow but yeah, it is. The latest update (1.3) was a major content patch that added a crapton of new things and expanded the endgame.

Next update is going to add new wiring logic items and presumably some things useful for "adventure" maps. The update after that has been mentioned and supposedly is a more general content update.

Man, this is fucking great for the super autists.

And for TF2 cosplayers too. Which might fall under the banner of the a fore mentioned "super autists".

yeah, building them with a friend of mine, theres a whole city in the making.

Oh and I forgot these.

You know I really like towns and small vignettes of structures a lot more in Terraria rather than giant castle or fortress builds. It seems to fit the game more.

1.3.1 CONFIRMED FOR MAY 22nd

wew

terrariaonline.com/threads/terraria-1-3-1-coming-out-may-22nd-2016.194936/

AWAKEN BY BUILDERS!

God damn, for a game I paid 2 bongs for, I've had over 300 hours from it, and there's gonna be more content?
WEW

Anyone got a moonman server up?

How far are we progression wise?

Uploading server map for those who wants it

mediafire.com/download/k2s4dg9a0w047v1/-v-2-0.wld

That looks a pretty comfy place.

I got satanic. Does that count?

Better upload those to MEGA, fag, I need inspiration.

any tips to improve my style?

Rooms are too damn small. Is minimalist, and I like it, but it leave little room to decoration.

I want to cuddle with the mushroom.

I can't seem to do creative. I do a bunker, and that's basically it.

thanks, I'll try that in my next world. Also just a last question, do you guys use fresh characters when doing your builds or do you bring endgame characters?

try making a thematic room for each npcs, something that fits them.

kek

AWAKEN MY MASTERS!

I wanna see fanart.

Man, do I love pumpkin as curtains.

Make the top tower look like Dracula's clocktower with bridge-loft from Castlevanias?

Trying to make a giant downed half-plane for Bane to live in with flaming wreckage but it still looks like a retarded box because I can't art for shit

That's a pretty good idea, user.
Also, castlevania along with Luigi's Mansion is a huge inspiration for stuff, thanks to the number of thematic rooms.
Listen to Castlevania OST while playing, if you ever played castlevania before.
The map is too heavy to upload the single pic fcfantasy.cn/maps/ps/castlevania_symphony_of_the_night_50percent_map.jpg

holy shit

That's the shit quality one. I'm sure you can find a detailed one, or I can just upload them. Fuck it, I'll upload them to the Vola.

why

Improved the Telescope and finished the astral room, which for some reason looks more like a satanic shrine than my actual satanic shrine.

Why?

Yeah, it's not Terraria, but it's the same exact error.

Jesus christ, stop posting these pictures, you're making me want to kill myself.

I'd rather not reinstall my entire OS just to play a game.

Don't think anyone has posted this yet.

You stupid fuck, that's NET framework.
Download the most recent version and install it or repair it if needed. Try with all the versions or the one in your fucking error.
I bet you play it on steam you fucking faggot.

Reinstalling your OS shouldn't be too hard and if you're not stupid you will not fuck anything.
You have to redownload everything like framework and some other annoying shit, tho.

You have to install .NET framework specifically the version it indicated to make Terraria work

I'm not totally retarded, I just hit a wall when I try to install it.
Yes, I have googled the error code and verified shit in my registry and it still won't install. I'm at a loss.

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-update/net-framework-4-installation-error-no-signature/6438c361-34bb-404e-bb26-75acfa16d8a7?auth=1
Been there done that?

Sure did.

Here are 3 of the 4 Castlevania maps, all for the Game Boy. Get inspiration from here, fags.
It's a shame nobody have the DS ones.
volafile.io/get/uCltP6EIw652m/Castlevania-AriaOfSorrow-Castlevania.png
volafile.io/get/ZH2MPqEIw66am/Castlevania-HarmonyOfDissonance-CastleA.png
volafile.io/get/1RpdP6EIw67Xm/Castlevania-HarmonyOfDissonance-CastleB.png

Sorry for thinking you were totally retarded. Looks like an uncommon error. You can still look for solutions, tho, or just reinstall your OS.

saved it. Thanks!

I suppose it wouldn't be that big of a deal. My OS takes up most of the space on my SSD, so I just keep all of my games and shit I care about on a different drive.

Is the only way to play this game is through shitty steam?
im on linux

it's on GOG

so i can pirate and not feel bad cause i bought it on steam years ago?

Why would you feel bad for pirating something?

It's on GOG as a standalone installer (you can find it on IGG-Games right now as a matter of fact) but I have no idea if it'd work on Mac/Linux or not.

There's also mobile versions if you want virtually the same game with some differences, ie the 3DS version.

Last one: volafile.io/get/_4dUPqEIw64Xm/Castlevania-SymphonyOfTheNight-Dracula'sCastle.png
Hope you guys get as inspired as me.

thanks nigga. I guess I'll have to boot into win7.

Just install mono-complete, game works without a problem in GNU+Linux. I know the server version is literally just mono + the Windows executable, I'm guessing the client version is too.

so if i just build squares in random places and sizes and then put them together i'll make a cool house?

something like that. people get raging hateboners for commie blocks because its the most simple uncreative rather space efficient way of making a house (usually by people wanting to do more of the explore and kill than building part of the game)

but after a run or two I'd imagine its easy to get bored with such a house and putting a bit more effort into one can feel pretty good.

I meant to quote

sadly I'm not very creative myself, so some of the images and guides shown help give me a sort of base to go from. I'm ok at making tweaks and going from something, but bad at starting from scratch.

Here, more inspiration.
This is from some user here, in fact.

Yeah, those are the odds.

Forgot this one.

well shit

Check this one.
The other one is cooler since it shows you all the states of the blocks, including platforms, although the other one is really outdated. I think this one is up-to-date.

Heil

only problem is the people i play with just try to get npc houses built so it never looks good and nobody wants to remodel

Well, go on and do it yourself, fag.

oh god i know this feel. when i played after moonman update it was like that. no one wanted to spend time building good but everyone wanted to rush and find and do the cool new shit.

AAAAAAAAA
IT KEEPS HAPPENING

What's the sever look like now? How many anons do we have? I want to join, but not if all the cool stuff has already been done.

RRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

That was some fucking next level crazy.
Mothras and shit everywhere in 2 days in a row.

Welp. We had a good run anons

Okey.

why live?

That's basically everything, I think.

I have the same kind of position towards it. But for me its the fact that starbound manages to build atmosphere through ambient background noises. I turned the music off when i first played and never turned it back on. Another huge plus for me personally is the whole instrument system they got going where you can import ABC files and play them. Also the fact that Starbound seems more mod friendly. For me these are the only things that starbound might have over terraria. Its kind of a skyrim deal. It can be fun with the right mods but its not a good game by itself and has a lot of wasted potential. A shame really.

Dryad best girl.

I've never played it, but from what I've heard Starbound seems to suffer from extreme linearity as well as building being made pointless and redundant by the existence of your ship. So it throws out two of major aspects that make Terraria (and any potential successful clone there of) enjoyable. It almost seems like they wanted to make a different kind of game all together but they hammered it into a Terraria shaped mold for some reason.

Yeah i completely agree with those points. They made you follow this linear questline to unlock gameplay instead of actively going out and discovering that shit yourself like in terraria. I personally never felt that hindered in building on planets especially since your ship just doesnt have enough space for anything other than a cozy little room with a bed or something. I mostly used it for storage and crafting stuff. Now with ship upgrades in the game that has a changed a bit but still not too much. And with you being able to rent out buildings to NPCs now, they kinda gave building on planets a point again. They even made it so that different kinds of interior design attract different species which is cool in my opinion. The game has been getting better but about 3 years after it shouldve been what it is now, its way past its redeeming point. its still kind of fun though

That's pretty much the 2 main problems with it.

In order to progress in the game, you have to complete quests in a very linear fashion. I don't know if this was changed, but when I last played you had to craft a new tier of armor set every single tier, or the game just would not let you proceed to the next quest. Imagine if you were forced to craft an armor set from every single metal in Terraria or else the bosses will be locked, and you require a new armor set to mine the next tier, and you have to kill every boss in a very specific order, that's what it's like. The quests are also often incredibly stupid, like crafting a steel spoon for someone's coffee, and that's a required quest for progressing in the game.

Many of the quests involve instanced dungeons that you have to complete, they're not randomly generated so its the same every time, and you cannot break blocks in them. If you die in it during hard mode or whatever, all of your items will disappear because the dungeon resets when you leave and thus erases all of your items from the ground.

The 'travel from planet to another' thing also makes it pointless to build a base in any planet for any reason other than vanity. The limited space and flexibility of your ship on the other hand makes it very difficult to build anything much fancier than "pile of chests and crafting stations". They added some kind of NPCs recently so I don't know if that changes anything. I would guess it doesn't.

You could improve this significantly by treating the game like a sandbox game it's supposed to be; let the player start in a planet in a crashed ship or whatever, make them mine materials, and eventually build a space ship from whatever blocks they choose in whatever shape they choose. Increase the block limit with some kind of core block that can be upgraded as you progress in the game.

theres actually a mod for that.

Theres loads of mods for all kinds of things and im pretty sure you could probably fix the game up a little bit. But like i said before its like with skyrim and even after excessisve polishing a turd is still a turd.

They're actually changing most of this shit for the 1.0 release (which is in the next month or two supposedly).

-Quests are no longer required to progress, instead you scan objects and shit around the galaxy for 'clues' to the next story mission.

-Armor is no longer required either, though you still need the proper breathing shit (and armor obviously makes it easier.)

-Bookmarks already exist, and you can already set up a 'Home Base' planet in such a way that you can teleport back to it at any time without having to move your ship back 'home'.

-The NPCs change things somewhat. You can get different/unique vendors and other things in your colonies depending on what you build the colonies out of. For instance a guy who sells stimpacks, or a guy who sells food exclusively, or gaben a guy who sells hats. Supposedly this will be made even more important in 1.0.

It's still fundamentally the same game, mind you, and it still has a host of problems like loot feeling both too meaningful and not meaningful enough, but it's getting there.

That said, there's a reason my Terraria playtime looks like this, when Starbound is only close to 300 because for a long time running the server counted as playing the game.

That sounds a lot better.
Still I wonder what led them to make those terrible design decisions in the first place? Tiy worked on Terraria in the early days so he really should have known better. I mean I know he was a spriter and not a programmer but he should have had a general idea, from being part of the team, of how a 2D sandbox mining/exploration game should go. It's one of those mysteries, like how could Inafune managed to fuck up a Megaman clone after working around Megaman for all those years.

Id say its because making good games is more often than not a team effort and just happening to be a guy that worked on a good game doesnt make you able to make another one on your own. The ideas and methods of the entire team flow into what becomes the finished product and you cant replace that. If you replace most of the dev team and try to imiate to cash in on your former success, youll end up crashing hard. Just look at what happened to mr. shitface.

I've kind of come to that same conclusion.
Of course the funny thing about Terraria is that, other than Red, it's a almost completely different team than when they first started and Terraria has undeniably gotten better. And I don't just mean more content either.
terraria.gamepedia.com/Re-Logic

Monster girl mod when?

I make a point of launching Starbound through the exe, not through steam so nobody knows when I'm shamefully playing it.

It really needs to happen.

does that actually work and does it work for other games?
steam really needs an incognito mode, it's either go offline when testing NV mods or spam everyone with "now playing" messages

Never, hopefully.

apparently 1.3.2 is coming out on may 22nd.

its supposed to be a huge update to wiring mechanics

Can't be worse than the time me and some other friend killed WoF with shit tier gear in expert mode.

First a bloodmoon, then snowmen, and then the fucking destroyer comes out, all in one night.
The worst part is that I didn't record nor screenie it.

I didn't think somebody would Moon Lord's dick before I saw the thread that quote came from.

It depends on the drm level the devs set.

Some games can launch independently and will not make any attempt to interact with steam. Some games will try to connect to steam but may work without it. Some games require steam to be running and will not launch without it.

Lots of indie games don't actually use steam drm and can be launched from the download folder without steam

Damn. I didn't know he was doing THAT well.

I'd milk it forever too in his position tbh.

Hey fuckboy you left without your blindfold nigger.

let me sleep m8, goodnight.

I GUESS GYRO HAD TO FUCKING DIE

ok when you guys get back on the server
please help me fucking kill some bosses so i can get my gear back

What is the context of this meme I've seen it at least 6.1million times but never knew the origin.

it's from a WW2 documentary about this gay jew
it still bleeds, even today

Come on, Satan. I can tell from a glance that it's from some comedy movie/show.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Seel
it's a real guy
he really said that

Did you check your recycle bin?

You're full of shit where is it really from

i just emptied it out because i had 3 fucking terrabytes of trash in it

A-are you sure…?

You poor sod.

I guess I'm happy my street got named after some shit poet

oh shit remember when the moonman update first came out and red gave access to that one streamer who had a fucking mental breakdown over his girlfriend leaving him, and red told him to take down the stream because he was an embarrassment

No one will ever forget it.

I can still remember the donations and follower names
'This is why your girlfriend left you'

Is the 3DS version worth getting? Does it at least keep 30fps+ or does it dip? How large are the worlds? How are the controls? It is currently on sale on the Nintendo E-Shop so I was thinking about it.

there's a 3ds version?

And soon there will be a Wii U version too.

Thinking of getting into Terraria, but the volume of stuff seems overwhelming.

Can anyone recommend a guide or some such?
Yeah I know I'm a lazy asshole for not doing it myself.

Thanks in advance.

you don't get bombarded with it all at once; there's a curve. First you'll get the mundane materials like wood, dirt, and stone, then, as you dig deeper, you'll find better stuff to upgrade your stoneage gear, then you may decide to explore on surface and find some other shit…

By pure coincidence, a lot of shit games do this.

Terraria is very much a "just go and explore" kind of game. There's all kinds of things to find in the different biomes, and harder biomes (e.g. jungle) have better stuff. You can ask the guide for tips if you really don't know what to do next. Generally the goal is to get better stuff so you can kill bosses and survive in harder locations. If you're playing alone, create a small or medium map so it'll be easier to find things.

Give new items to the Guide NPC to see what you can craft with it (the item says "material" if you can do something with it).

Build a room with a table, chair, light source, and a door, and an NPC will move into it (if available). Each NPC requires a separate room.

I think the only really confusing thing is the hardmode switch point, AFAIK nobody in game tells you how to do it. When you feel like you've done everything there is to do, you need to go to hell and throw a voodoo doll into lava.

the official wiki has a 'guide' to help you progress into the game

Just go in blind, it's way more fun that way.
There's a character in the game who helps you with things called the Guide, if you show him an item he tells you what you can make with it.

In a way I wish I could replay Terraria blind. Haven't had a feeling of exploration like it gave me in a very long time.

I hope with Terraria 2 the starting phase takes longer. I'm glad they've re-balanced things over the years so that the power vaccuum isn't sporadic and out of nowhere. But for sure by the end you're like a god.

There isn't one set way to play the game, in fact pre hardmode has multiple valid paths forword. I would agree with the other anons try to play it blind at least until you get stuck. Then you could either check out the wiki or come here and ask questions.
As far as general advice goes make a "easycore" character and make your first world Normal NOT expert. And run every new item or material by the guide to see what you can do with it.

Gyro here, I can't play until the afternoon, and even then, I have an event going on
I sure as fuck hope I can get a part of my gear back

Salt for the fallen
Destroy the graves

I modified the top of the church a little bit and completely modified the alchemy lab. Now it looks more mystic and cool.

I want to do things to the dryad with my peepee.

Alright.

Alright anons, I'll give it a shot. I tried dorf fortress and got the shits when a troupe of goblins chopped everybody's legs off. Wish I was kidding. The controls were so unwieldy I couldn't do anything about it and was forced to watch.

3DS version is more or less a customized version of the mobile game with quick-stacking to chests added. Performance dips frequently but not unplayably so.

If you've got nothing better to do, want it mobile, or just want to compare differences with the mobile game I'd say go for it or pirate it

Oh, as for world size there's only one static size that's roughly around the size of a Small world, but it's got a bit more stuff packed into it to compensate. Both Crimson and Corruption are present in the game with one picked at random on worldgen. No Expert mode.

Controls are fine, touch-screen is used for precise block placement and if you don't feel like aiming with the circle pad. There's an auto-target available for enemies because of the control scheme so you don't have to worry terribly much about aiming guns, magic or bows.

THIS SHIT HAPPENS EVERY FUCKING TIME

Server still up and running? I don't wanna make a new character if I can swing it, but if I must, I shall. Been looking for anyone to play this game with.

Good thing you weren't playing on hardcore or mediumcore like a faggot, right?

You know, Terraria is one of the only games I know that Holla Forums doesn't berate themselves over choosing the lowest difficulty.

Not that I blame you. It's not called 'tediumcore' and 'tardcore' for nothing.

You're supposed to choose the easy mode? I thought that you get cooler things in the hard mode, though?

You're almost meant to die several times, playing mediumcore if you're not experienced is like playing dark souls where you lose items if you die.

The way I see it, softcore is the "default" mode, and the other character difficulties are special challenge modes.

The character difficulty doesn't give you anything other than ass pain.

The map difficulty (expert mode) will increase item drop rates and give special boss drops, but it can be really tedious.

You don't get anything extra other than misery and bullshit for choosing medium or hardcore on your characters, but there are some boosted droprates and special boss drops you get for playing in an expert mode world

The soft, medium and hard cores are different settings for your individual character. Soft loses half your cash on death, medium loses all your items but you get to respawn, while hard of course deletes your character on death. The hard mode you're talking about is one set for the world you play on, which indeed has better loot and all that. It's just tedious to use anything but a softcore character since you more often than not explore blindly and die to some bullshit, especially combined with an expert world.

No, upon character creation you get three choices.
Softcore - Drop sheckels on death
Mediumcore - Drop all your items on death, but still respawn.
Hardcore - Drop all items and you're forced to make a new character upon death.
Expertmode is a world option that adds more shit

Well I certainly feel like a retard now.

It's okay user. We still love you.

fuck do i care about this anymore? I'm always too late to the party.

We need to start an expert mode mediumcore new characters server when 1.3.1 hits this Sunday.

why the fuck would you play on tediumcore

Because I want to see a bunch of people explode into a pile of items and ragequit every time we fight a boss.

but user, it's a creative game

:^)

Maybe it wouldn't suck so bad if you had a little more variety in what you could use instead of fun things being outmoded in favor of more powerful items :^)

anyone starting the server??

server down ;_;

new thread pls

Hey you're the guy who was inspired by my glorious emperor slimeloon!

Who remembers me? I'm the insufferable faggot who wanted Tar to be my waifu and never fucking finished sorting my items out in SP so I just stopped playing because that's a genuinely crippling barrier for me.

Sorry, I correct myself, Tar was a big contributor to it (pretty sure it was him), he did the crown and belt thing out of meteor brick.

The thread's almost dead, user. I don't think you're gonna get too many replies.
I don't remember you.

Yeah I noticed the page after posting. I'll repost in the next thread.
How could you betray me like this?

Today I learned why theres no shame in softcore.

The goblins just caused me to have an actual game over. They won. I cant play this world anymore with all the goblins having taken over my fortress.

forgot pic