Linux Games

Any linux bros here? What do you play?

Discuss linux games, recommend linux games, shitpost about gaming while on linux or something like that.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/HikariKnight/rsu-client
archive.is/CTClS
archive.is/XRRWC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Now that stale bait is done, been enjoying cities;skylines like the proper autist I am.

Been pwning noob$ in my favorite Linux game all year, good shit.

Too bad I can't pwn them at Solitaire.

i play open arena

windows shills incoming

I want to get into Out of the Park Baseball, but Civ V is just too well optimized to tear away from.

Wish I could mod it.

Xonotic is pretty fun.

Hammerfight, Insurgency, Terraria, some GZDoom and Phoenix Wright on DeSmuME when I feel like them. Pretty nice.

I just bought Civ V on sale because I have never played a 4X before and it's available on linux. I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm loving every minute of it.

I want to try some GS games as well but I'll wait for sales. Can someone recommend the best ones that work on linux? Stellaris is new and looks cool but it has mixed reviews and it's too expensive for my jew taste.

Insurgency is awesome. And I get better fps on linux than on windows for some reason. Same with Dota2.

What about the open source games? Anyone has any experience with OpenTTD, FreeCiv, FreeCol,Wesnoth and the like?

Crusader Kings 2 is an agreed upon good entry point for the genre.

Hey man, you should get the Comunitas mod for Civ if it's still being updated.
Back at 2014, it was a 10/10 mod that made the game thrice as good, I'd easily lose 5 hours of my day like nothing.

Most roguelikes are open source, and they tend to be really fucking good(enjoy brogue at the moment)
There's also SS13, pretty much all servers are open source(including 8ch servers)

I've been playing BillardGL recently, one of the few 3d games I know of where I'm able to resize the window dynamically.

Most repositories have it, came out in 2002.

TTD, but better and with shitton of mods. What's not to like?
It's similar to Civ 2, but they seriously rebalanced it to fight shit like infinite city sprawl, and they are working on new ruleset that reduces amount of micromanaging.
Good TBS, but some people dislike that it relies too much on RNG

SS13 servers may be opensource, but they are built on closed-source BYOND platform.

OpenRCT2 is amazing.

free and open source games

ded game

Why exactly can't pc games be ported well over Linux distroes?

mainly directx, a video api hardcoded for windows, hopefully vulkan blows directx 12 away

you can use wine or half-ass it like unity does.

Sublevel Zero. 6DOF shooter roguelike. Random level generation and powerups and whatnot. Pretty damned good, especially since I'm a fan of both.

TF2. It's a group favourite, we're pretty desperate for something new though.

Been doing a replay of the Tomb Raider reboot with the Steam controller, and once the SteamOS version of Rise Of is out I'll get that too.

Just finished watching the RetroAhoy thing on Quake and I'm craving some old school FPS shooting. I'm wondering if I can find the original Quake and it's expansion packs for for Linux anywhere.

Ah, alright, thanks for the info
I really hope it'll get done fast then

Just use Quakespasm for that original Quake experience.

I never played a Civ game in my life until I got Civ 5. Played it for a combined 28 hours over 3 days. I had to stop.

Beyond Earth, however, is a fucking horrible mess and all I got out of playing it was a sore asshole.

You do know that regular Doom is FOSS, right? The only thing that isn't under the GPL are the art assets, which the FSF is okay with. Freedoom is great for making your own games, but gameplay wise it's terrible, the levels lack the charm and fun-factor that the original Doom levels had.

github.com/HikariKnight/rsu-client

You need to play Alpha Centauri. It works perfectly in Wine.

Wesnoth is the best TBS I've played in a long time. Also check out Warzone 2100 for a slightly different take on RTS progression. It's not the second coming of Christ, but it's alright.

Sublevel Zero looks really cool, but I'm shit at 6DOF. Also isn't there a Descent open-source engine? I think D2X is the name?

On Linux, I mostly use emulators or run games under WINE. I've been playing Thief Gold lately.

Linux is my go to emulation platform with Retroarch or Vms

Also i can output to a CRT using CLI (and the needed cablework/transcoding), so it's way better than fucking with windows drivers, shame in some years it's gonna be a bitch again to get CRT working when they are even more outdated, scarce and unsupported.
I hope 6K CRT shaders exist by then.

why not just dual-boot and use windows only for gaming? if you're not doing anything illegal on the windows partition (and they don't give half a shit about piracy) then you have no reason to fear the botnet. just embrace the botnet and enjoy the far superior gaming performance.

I dual-boot Linux and Win7. I will never, ever install the botnet that calls itself Win10. Kill yourself.

Kill yourself.

then again W10 has some shitty restrictions and draiver issues, everything feels like a smartphone OS so if that is why you don't like it i can understand,
but on the spy or performance levels it's pretty much the same as far as i can judge from using it for 6 months

All this D44M shit reminded me I should play some real DOOM. I'm using Chocolate Doom because PrBoom-plus is the only one in my repo and the graphics don't work on some .wads. I tried GZDoom but it has dependencies not in my repo and I don't feel like building them.

Is there a native Linux version of the expansion packs that I can yarr-harr yet? All I see on KAT is the original and I'm not giving them a dime because their EULA is cancer.

Win7 does not spy on you anywhere near to the extent that Win10 does. Win10 takes screenshots of your desktop, logs your keystrokes, scans all your installed programs, and sends all that shit to Redmond. WIn7 doesn't do any of that. inb4 muh NSAKEY,

then you will never EVER get the 300%+ performance boosts from the godsend that is DirectX12. enjoy your forever inferior gaming performance, tinfoil fedora linuxdrone. right now I am emulating Wii games at 4K with 8x AA thanks to DX12.

I hope you're being paid well, shill.

I'm gonna get the 300%+ performance boosts from the godsend that is Vulkan, because DX12 is basically Vulkan that M$ fucked in the ass.

there is literally no reason not to dual-boot Windows 10 alongside your favorite linux distro.

Paid 10 pesos an hour.

alright, let's see you boot up Dolphin right now and emulate some games with vulkan. oh wait you can't because Dolphin doesn't support vulkan at all, only DX12. :^)

You can do better than that, can't you, shill-kun?

I dualboot with win7 that I play games in. But I do all of my work on linux so it's annoying to reboot back and forth if I only want to play for half an hour (virtual machine would reduce the performance of my shitty pc by a lot even if I wasn't too lazy to set up passthrough for graphics card).. Also I hate windows in general, it's an obnoxious ass system to work in.

I think the only people who hate windows 10 so much are underage kids who have never been to an arcade in their life. all arcades had security cameras that watch you play, and no one cared. why is it a problem when windows 10 does it? when you want to do something illegal that you don't want the cameras to see you simply leave the arcade and go to a place with no cameras. just log out of windows 10 and load up TAILS or some shit you tinfoil fedora autists.

I thought you were a shill, now I think you might just be an above-average baitmaster.

You're actually this retarded, aren't you? The entire point of a PERSONAL COMPUTER is to use it for yourself, not borrow it for a little while and use it for some small list of acceptable things. Let me guess, you're okay with stalkers because the people being stalked were in open places, so there can't be anything wrong with someone following a person around.

see I can make your argument sound retarded just as easily.

why do they need to improve when they are already far better than reicast?

good thing you have the FREEDOM to not only choose which OS to install, but to install MULTIPLE OS's on the same PC so you can have both the superior gaming performance of Win10 and all the benefits of your favorite linux distro at the same time.

I already said that I use Windows, you illiterate. Just not Win10.

You're doing just fine buddy.

there is literally nothing wrong with Win10.

See

Just like how there's nothing wrong being jewish.

nuDoom runs on fucking openGL and they still didn't bother to port it

dude they just made a new DOOM reboot that runs great with DX12, there is no need for those old sourceports and shitty doom mods now.

You must be really lonely.

And yet people are falling for this.

nice projection

Doom 4 is what I meant. It runs on OpenGL. That's probably means it's going to work flawlessly with WINE soon but still.

signal ops

He knew exactly what you meant.

you're making this too easy now. you will get about 5x better performance with DX12.

This guy's really sad tbh fam.

filtered, go back to Holla Forums, goon.

Why are you so frightened?

DELETE THIS

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

archive.is/CTClS

Still I'd run it within a virtual machine with gpu passthrough.

You are more stupid than the people who genuinely like SJW games.

If they still collected and that data gets leaked, big business and government would have the shekels and lawyers to bring M$ into a world of hurt.

At that point you're running 2 systems even with GPU passtrough the RAM and CPU are going to pay a toll, if you have a powerful enough system to run that and some AAA game on top of that then good for you but sadly most people don't.

Why do you think the ruling that Microsoft had to be split up was overturned on an appeal? Why do you think the Justice Department stopped investigating Microsoft as soon as they possibly could?
Maybe in the EU, governments can actually gainsay big corporations. But the US is the other way around.

Payoffs. But stories like this:

archive.is/XRRWC

Tell me the version being sent out to corporations and government is different.

What would you like to see in the open source linux games scene? I've wanted to start a project for a few years now and I'm looking for ideas.

I see there is no shortage of arena FPS games but I haven't seen a single player one. Also open 4X games and tycoons exist but no Grand strategy so that might be a nice niche to fill.

A daily reminder that real men run OpenRC while faggots run systemd.

It would be great to get more 4x games, but if you ultimately wanted to bring linux to be popular in gaming you would need to draw attention from the casual gamers

the valve library hasn't been enough to make any difference

windows users will have to start missing out on something for casuals to ever care

Linux is good in theory.

"in theory"

I was going to say that Linux needs a decent stealth game, but then I remembered that The Dark Mod runs on Linux, so I guess that's covered.

It's even better in practice.

There's enough Linux games between Steam/Emu/Wine that I could just play them for eternity but I wouldn't want to do that.

WINE is good enough at this point that as long as a game doesn't run on direct X it's probably going to work. If vulkan ends up taking off then even if we stay at 2% market share or whatever forever then we'll still get to play pretty much any game that comes out anyway.

You are the reason for the rise of the left. This is your fault.

I don't think any open source project will be able to bring linux gaming to the forefront. Let's be honest open source games have shitty graphics and casuals go for graphics first, game looks 'hype' and 'flashy' and it's sold. It's borderline impossible to find enough people who would be able and willing to create so many high quality assets.

Linux gaming will take over when Linux itself becomes more popular as OS and I don't know how that could ever happen. Especially seeing how people just don't care about the fuckups and straight up spying from win10.

Stealth games are a hell to make sadly and I don't feel experienced enough to take on something like that. The dark project is nice but it has its shortcomings especially in the AI department. Personally I also think the choice of engine wasn't the best.

4x seems interesting. There is freeCiv already so what other kind of 4x game would you like to see? I'm not very experienced in this genre. I've only played Civ5 and EL is sitting in my library untouched.

Just finished Quake.
It's good.

been mostly playing Danganronpa, was really surprised that it ended up getting a GNU port.

I finished the second one and holy shit these games are fucking insane, the story is pretty much a collection of absurd plot twists tied together by a mostly coherent story. My favorite murder was definitely the 5th one in DR2 with the 2nd one following close just because of the ending tfw. The 5th one had just the right amount of overcomplicated planning, insane bullshit that somehow makes sense, and tears at the end of the trial.

The only one I didn't like was also in DR2, which was the third one because it was pretty inconsistent and they wasted the potential for an absurdly tragic ending. Before I started investigating, I thought for awhile about how I think it was going to play out and when I actually went through it I thought my version was much better:

MAD SPOILERS AHEAD, even if you think "oh I'm not a weeb faggot who plays VNs" keep in mind that I thought that too because I hate both anime and visual novels, but my roomate kept bugging me to try it and after the first hour I began to love it.

It would be that since the despair disease makes everyone's personality the opposite of what it usually is, Mikan would become confident and manipulative but she would still be able to pretend to be her normal self because of the manipulativeness, and she would take her revenge on Hiyoko for bullying her but had only originally planned to kill Ibuki to escape. The part that would make it super sad is that I thought after the disease ended everyone would go back to their normal selves without the memories they had in despair mode, like Toko/Genocide Jack and Mikan would be her regular self with no idea that she had murdered those two which would be revealed to her at the end of the trial and make her feel terrible, since all she wants to do is help people and keep them alive. Then I thought the execution was going to be something much darker like a giant bonesaw, but nope hers was quite tame.

The open source gaming thread is up, it has a lot of open source games that can be played on GNU/Linux:

var origAlert = window.alert;
window.alert = function(m) {
if (!/The server took too long to submit your post/.test(m)) {
origAlert(m);
} else {
setTimeout(function() {
$('.submit > input').click();
}, 1000)
}
}

OpenTTD is fantastic.
FreeCiv is fantastic.
Wesnoth is a lot of fun if you like that kind of game, but I get bored of TRPGs quickly anyway.
0ad is really cool and shows a lot of promise.
Frogatto is really great.